701 Wave Street
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sardinefactory.com/
- Phone: 8313733775
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5 PM to 10 PM Friday & Saturday 5 PM to 11 PM Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kent J. Specht
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For 45 years the Sardine Factory restaurant has been creating distinctive and memorable private events for discriminating customers. Whether a family gathering or corporate event, each private party receives our full attention and commitment.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Rodriguez 8313736625
- Entertainment: David Conley at the Piano Tuesday through Saturday.
David has been a professional musician since the age of 17. He has played in numerous bands, opening for various acts such as Steppenwolf, Black Oak Arkansas, Rick Derringer, Crash Test Dummies and more. Versatile and accommodating David takes and plays requests from Led Zeppelin to Elvis Presley to the Everly Brothers.
- Cross Street: Prescott
- Public Transit: MST stop less than 2 blocks away on the corner of Wave St. & David.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Enter off of Wave Street ascending the driveway. Self park Sunday through Thursday with self park or valet service available Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Sardine Factory
Every city has that one can’t miss restaurant, where celebrities feel at home and every other guest feels like a celebrity. Since October 2, 1968, The Sardine Factory’s cachet has made dining in our historic Cannery Row setting a tradition for world leaders, sports heroes and entertainment icons. Our award-winning chefs prepare delectable creations of fresh, sustainable seafood and USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef; winner of Restaurant Hospitality Magazine’s "Best Wine List in America" award. The Lounge’s live entertainment, Happy Hour and affordable menu are a casual alternative to our other dining rooms. Celebrating our 45th Anniversary!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sardine Factory - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Sardine Factory reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (143)romantic (122)notable wine list (94)fit for foodies (68)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (48)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (24)hot spot (24)great for brunch (17)scenic view (15)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (9)Show More
- Monterey GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014First visit to the Sardine Factory despite many years of traveling to Monterey, and what a treat. We were seated in the beautiful atrium and had an outstanding meal - the Abalone bisque was most excellent. Wish I'd saved room for dessert :)Special Features:
- Super salty pasta and fatty steakOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014My clam linguini ($24) was super salty and husband's ribeye steak ($56) was 50% fat. The waiter did not come by to ask about our food for 20 minutes. He later apologized for the poor food quality but it was too late because we were hungry consumed some of our food already. I also asked about the online 20% off coupon from the restaurant and the waiter said he would ask the manager about it but he discarded the coupon all together. Everything was way overpriced. We will not return again.Special Features:
- Monterey ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014A consistently good experience. The conservatory is a very nice setting. The wait staff is very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/24/2014Outstanding dinner with impecible service. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants an exceptional meal in a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerAndyDined on 8/23/2014Food was amazing and service was great! Lobster ravioli was delicious and the salmon and crab were great too!!!Special Features:
- Good Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We've been to the Sardine Factory several times before and the food and service is always very good.Special Features:
- Sardine FactoryDining4loveoffoodDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic, specialized service with great food and wine. Definite place for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and crowded.JoeAndAnnieDined on 8/22/2014We were squeezed into a table between two larger parties. I could hear them eating their food, but I could barely hear my wife or understand the waiter. Menu was overpriced and unimaginative. One of the people on my left complained she was ill and left the restaurant. Not a night to remember.
- Birthday CelebrationFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great time celebrating my son's 19th birthday. I am a local so I have been to this restaurant before. Calamari was good, Cheese Bread tasted good but lacked presentation. Bread was smothered in cheese (looked like cheddar) and a bit heavy. I had the Petite Filet Mignon with Twice Baked Potato and a Roasted Tomato. Great portion as I filled up on bread and Calamari. My cocktail was the "Blue Sardine" - tasty! Brian H., the Maitre d' did a great job looking after our table - had the Sorbet in the ice sculpture Intermezzo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special in every wayseabrzDined on 8/21/2014From the wine cellar and wine list to the various dining rooms and service, no place in California, compares with the Sardine Factory. We enjoyed a wine only available to subscribers, dishes that we don't make at home - veal and petite maine lobster - and fun desserts like affogato al caffe'. We are local and this is one of our special places that always delivers a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicvodilDined on 8/20/2014I eat there once every few years. Reliable upscale (steak and) seafood for when one is tired of tourist and junk food.Special Features:
- RobertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014The Sardine Factory is one of our favorites. They treat you like everybody would want to be treated. The food is excellent and the service, decor, and atmosphere are all outstanding. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Memorable dinnerNancyDined on 8/20/2014We came to Sardine Factory because we had a trip planned to Monterey and my boyfriend had received a gift card for his birthday. It was a wonderful experience - first time either of us had been there. The food was great and the service was excellent. We enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining.RickRulesDined on 8/20/2014We were here for my mother's 93rd birthday. Service was slow and we were there at 5:45 PM? Not impressive. The Rose wine ( 1 of only 2 available on the wine list ???) that the wine buyer suggested was like Cool Aid in texture. It was from Lebanon. Go figure...we are in California! No CA Rose available! He did not really want to spend much time with us. Food was average, including my bland seafood Paella, which had almost no flavor! After coming here 10 yrs, a return is doubtful.
- AndThenVIPDined on 8/19/2014Marvelous abalone bisque; I had wild abalone with 3 grilled shrimp (appetizer); husband had crab pasta (entree); finished with magnificant flaming sardines. Belated anniversary dinner. Absolutely superb.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor Service1234llDined on 8/19/2014As locals we have been to the Sardine Factory many times for happy hours and will return for that, however I don't think I will be back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful treasure in Cannery RowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014This is a terrific restaurant, with a touch of formality and a lot of old fashioned class. The bar is wonderful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is uniformly outstanding. I couldn't recommend it more. Worth going out of your way for. Cannery Row is frantic and has gotten pretty tacky in recent years, but Sardine Factory retains its high standards. But be sure to bring a wallet or two. All of this wonderfulness comes at a steep price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedENF64VIPDined on 8/16/2014I wonder why a restaurant of this reputation agrees to take an Opentable reservation shortly before the due time (around 7 pm for the first available time of 845pm) and then have their guests (four) wait for 1 full hour. That is unacceptable, especially when we were told that it was going to be a 15 to 20 min wait in the first place. We were not the only ones having that problem. The food was good but nothing exceptional for a pricy menu list that has probably not seen an update from the time Clint Eastwood visited the Sardine Factory. The service was rather slow. It was also very noisy. The restaurant itself is very nice and makes it a good candidate for a special occasion event provided they work on the issues I mentioned above.Special Features:
- Sardine Factory is the bestAppreciatefinefoodDined on 8/14/2014We returned to the Sardine Factory again this year and it never fails to impress. Dining in the Atrium can be noisy but it is where you will find the feeling of being in a garden green house. If you want romantic, dine in one of the intimate side alcoves. The food quality is first rate and the presentations make you look close before inserting your fork. An after dinner drink in front of the fire place will round out a perfect evening. We come to Monterey in mid summer to get out of the heat in our home state and knowing Sardine Factory will be waiting influences our choice of being here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While in Monterey...OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/14/2014Definitely a spot to check to for some very good food.Special Features:
- Anniversary at sardine factoryCindylouDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I chose to celebrate our 45th anniversary at The Sardine Factory. We live in Sparks, NV and had eaten there several times over the years. We were fortunate to be seated in the glass dome room. Beautiful. The server was very nice, helpful, and attentive. The Sommallier was very knowledgeable and personable. Our meals were so delicious. It was a wonderful anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must-visit in MontereySBWinosDined on 8/9/2014We choose the Sardine Factory to celebrate my parents 45th wedding anniversary with visiting Monterey because of the outstanind food and beautiful ambiance. My husband had been there a few years ago and enjoyed the food and entertainment in the lounge. We made it a point to visit again for a special occasion and this was well worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysDinerbDined on 8/8/2014Great place that never lets us down. We really enjoy the history of the place and it is always consistently good.Special Features:
- Perfect Choice!luv2eatDined on 8/6/2014I took my husband to Monterey on a surprise vacation for his birthday. After reading reviews, I made reservations at the Sardine Factory. I wasn't disappointed!!! The food was amazing. The staff was incredibly attentive. I will absolutely go back when in the area and would recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- Nice ambienceK222Dined on 8/5/2014First noticed the many interesting seating areas. We were seated under a glass dome with small lights above and filled with plants. We had many servers that attended to all manner of needs - wine steward, water pourer and helpful waiter. He gave us good advice so we wouldn't order what he knew would be too much to eat. My husband enjoyed the abalone chowder. We ordered the seafood appetizer for 2. The crabcakes were great, the shrimp good and the calimari fair - too big and too much breading for our taste. Unfortunately we did not have room for the chocolate dipped ice creams that came in dry ice. It looked fun and everyone seemed to eat every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must see in MontereyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014You wouldn't guess it from the outside...Old school charm meets gourmet food meets great service. Sit in the glass room for an extra treat. Free parking on site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindJojosbee14Dined on 8/4/2014The Sardine Factory is definitely a one of a kind restaurant and is always fabulous. The restaurant is beautiful with all the different dining rooms and the food and service is excellent. We have been here several times and have never been disappointed. I will say it is a bit pricy so it is more of a special occasion restaurant but definitely worth it. They have a beautiful wine cellar offering an extensive collection of wines.Special Features:
- Out of townerBuzzDined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was a great place for our group of four as a last night in Monterey at a place known for good food and wine. I did think that the ambience was diminished by the closeness of the tables and the noise level out in the large circular room where we were seated. I also think that this makes it hard for the servers to serve properly as you would expect in a nice restaurant. That being said we were pleased with our meal and the quality and presentation of the food. We would recommend the Sardine Factory to our friends with the comments that I have made above.Special Features:
- DeliciousDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous… Must try… A+++ atmosphere, outstanding wine list and the best food.Special Features:
- Special AnniversaryGreatVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were her 34 years ago on our wedding night and now back for our anniversary. Still great! Wonderful food ( try the abalone) beautiful setting, great service. Will be back. We have eaten here during the past 34 years. We did not wait all this time to return!Special Features:
- Great recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014Very good food...esp abalone bisque! wonderful tomato Basil and mozzarella salad. Wild caught abalone well worth the price.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerd2g2Dined on 7/30/2014Wonderful fresh ingredients. Great wine list.Close to everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceVivisolDined on 7/28/2014I had heard about the Sardine Factory for years from my family that lives locally but I had not dined there until this past week. And I was pleasantly surprised - it met all the hype my family had been talking about for the past 30 years. The food was excellent, the service was excellent and the Atrium room we were seated in was absolutely gorgeous! I would highly recommend this restaurant and I look forward to returning again soon!Special Features:
- Long InToothPaulVIPDined on 7/27/2014We returned to the Sardine Factory after a 30 year absence. They are riding on their laurels. It was not up to our expectation.Special Features:
- nanacst3nanacst3Dined on 7/26/2014Our favorite restaurant when in Monterey, CA. Have been going for many years, never disappointed. Beautiful setting in the Conservatory area. Food and service is impeccable. Staff very courteous and helpful, treat everyone very special. Would highly recommend for a special occasion or just great food. Will be back 1st time we have a chance.Special Features:
- Great nostalgic feel but overratedChadDined on 7/26/2014This was my 3rd time dining here and it seems to have lost a beat. Service was off - slow and very "non-genuine". Food was fair at best. Sea bass was over cooked and had to be sent back (chef argued with us that it was cooked correctly), steak was near flavorless. Best part of the meal was their dessert choices and their eccentric presentations - very cool.
- DeliciousSuZieQDined on 7/26/2014Recommend sardine factory in Monterey! If is one if my favorites! We go to Monterey area once a year and always make sure to have dinner there! Love the conservatory room! Great wine menu! Artichoke soup the best! Delicious rib eye/prime rib and seafood and she'll fish yum! My favorite is a flaming sardine for dessert after dinner drink! I always take someone to celebrate there bday there as well! Been going for 25 years it more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent service, fantastic food that was simply perfect. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nurses' special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014The food and service were excellent. Thank you for appreciating nursing care in this community. We all like to pay it forward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceJulesVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent. Service was just a little slow, but it was a very busy night. Will go back again on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.