701 Wave Street
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sardinefactory.com/
- Phone: (831) 373-3775
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5 PM to 10 PM Friday & Saturday 5 PM to 11 PM Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kent J. Specht
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For 45 years the Sardine Factory restaurant has been creating distinctive and memorable private events for discriminating customers. Whether a family gathering or corporate event, each private party receives our full attention and commitment.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Rodriguez 8313736625
- Entertainment: David Conley at the Piano Tuesday through Saturday.
David has been a professional musician since the age of 17. He has played in numerous bands, opening for various acts such as Steppenwolf, Black Oak Arkansas, Rick Derringer, Crash Test Dummies and more. Versatile and accommodating David takes and plays requests from Led Zeppelin to Elvis Presley to the Everly Brothers.
- Cross Street: Prescott
- Public Transit: MST stop less than 2 blocks away on the corner of Wave St. & David.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Enter off of Wave Street ascending the driveway. Self park Sunday through Thursday with self park or valet service available Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Sardine Factory
Every city has that one can’t miss restaurant, where celebrities feel at home and every other guest feels like a celebrity. Since October 2, 1968, The Sardine Factory’s cachet has made dining in our historic Cannery Row setting a tradition for world leaders, sports heroes and entertainment icons. Our award-winning chefs prepare delectable creations of fresh, sustainable seafood and USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef; winner of Restaurant Hospitality Magazine’s "Best Wine List in America" award. The Lounge’s live entertainment, Happy Hour and affordable menu are a casual alternative to our other dining rooms. Celebrating our 45th Anniversary!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sardine Factory - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Sardine Factory reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)romantic (96)notable wine list (86)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (18)great for brunch (11)late-night find (11)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- An iconic standby.MustangDined on 11/15/2014The Sardine Factory is an iconic standby and must visit when traveling to Monterey. Great service and outstanding food particularly their preparation of fish. An extensive wine list and very helpful sommelier. Enjoy the more traditional atmosphere of the Captains room or the fresh glass atrium dining area depending on your mood. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine! Don't miss this place!!!!LmehalftVIPDined on 11/14/2014Everything was spot on. The best rack of lamb ever and a notable wine list to compliment any mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little slipOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014We had a great meal, and the service was friendly and efficient We came to use the 3 course meal we saw in the paper. It was never mentioned and when we asked we were told they are not allowed to tell us about it unless we asked. We ordered the house wine, shown as $9.00 and we were charged $12. Otherwise the food was great and we will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic MontereyBigBzyVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is a classic Monterey restaurant that maintains high prices but has moved from its formal past to the casual clientele typical of California. Thankfully, the food quality is also high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A double misnomerwinefanDined on 11/8/2014With a name like Sardine Factory you'd expect, well, sardines, and a factory-like efficiency. We got neither. The ambiance was just sad - we were seated in what they call the "conservatory" - the round room with a great big chandelier. After a few minutes we realized that the chandelier was covered in at least half inch of dust - it looked grey and you could see cobwebs between the arms of the fixture. The service was abysmal - we weren't greeted for at least ten minutes after being seated, and the server stopped by only when dropping off another course, and never checked in otherwise. The wine steward seemed uninterested, and walked away after dropping off a bottle of sparkling to chat with another table before opening the bottle for us. And that was after we waited for 20 minutes for the wine. The food was less than mediocre. The abalone bisque was basically a bacon-flavored bowl of cream, with no abalone in sight. The steak plating was straight from the 80s - it actually had a half of tomato that was covered with cheese and baked. But the crowning glory was the escargot - baked inside honks of sesame seed baguette. Why?! Was the kitchen out of those divided ramekins? Why sesame seed baguette and not, say, poppy seed? It was bizarre to the point of comical. We shan't be back. Instead, we will patronize many other excellent establishments in Monterey and PG.
- Great FoodgrodgDined on 11/6/2014My wife and I have been coming to Sardine Factory for years. The food and service has been fantastic. One the best places to go in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodStevelyDined on 11/6/2014This was one of the few reservations made before leaving Scotland and was for my birthday. Were quickly shown to our table and c offered drinks. The meal we had was fantastic. Mu wife had abalone chowder followed by veal whilst I had sardines followed by steak and lobster. Best steak ever and beautiful lobster. First class meal with excellent service. Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gatsbyfun2getawayDined on 11/6/2014It was a perfect evening and seems like it belonged in a movie. Beautiful with excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoePatDined on 11/3/2014Met or exceeded all expectations. Would recommend without hesitation. Enjoyed every part of the experience.Special Features:
- Old reliable restaurantfinnishcustomerDined on 11/1/2014Having read mixed reviews I was pleasently surprised with the good food and service. Crabs and fish were first class quality and wine selected did not cause any recommendations for a more expensive one which so many times is the case in better restaurants. Timing for the food was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sardine FactoryDining4loveoffoodDined on 10/30/2014Great place for a business dinner. Expert, professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Our anniversary dinner was all we had hoped it would be. The setting was romantic, the noise level was low(Tuesday), our server very nice and knowledgeable and the food excellent. It is a bit price but well worth it for special occasions. It's a Monterey classic and not to be missed.Special Features:
- Service is always outstanding!peachyykeenDined on 10/28/2014Don is a great waiter friendly, helpful, and attentive. The food was delicious from the appetizers to the coffee at the end of our meal! Always have at least one meal here when in the Monterey area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestmsquaredDined on 10/25/2014Service and the wine and food are the best. We really loved the Conservatory room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectwowinpgDined on 10/24/2014Looking for a perfect spot to celebrate fifteen years of marriage to my sweetheart. Couldn't have picked a better spot. It was busy, yet intimate. It was perfect for us. GregSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRD24VIPDined on 10/24/2014Has seen much better times. Poor lighting meant to accentuate romance or discreet dining, resulted in creepily dark atmosphere (except for light from TV screen in with sports broadcast on) Food was bland - nothing special, plate served from behind over head rather than from the side, foot stepped on by waiter (probably due to poor light). Advertised special menu had to be requested, waiter wasn't sure and had to check. Much better restaurants in area.
- Great Food but priceyluvgoodfoodDined on 10/20/2014Food was wonderful and service was excellent. be prepared for a expensive meal though. have been here before and plan on coming back whenever we are in Monterey.Special Features:
- Once again...a GREAT place!kitchen2uDined on 10/19/20141st went here on our honeymoon 33 years ago...went another time a few years later...haven't been since. But Sardine Factory is still the same, FABulous food, AMAZing service, all around great place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was very good, Mike the bartender was a joy to talk to and interact. We were a little disapointed in our waiter in that she left us sitting for 45 mins before the entree arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable DinnerThe2ofustogetherDined on 10/17/2014We went to the Sardine Factory on our vacation to Monterey and had a wonderful experience. We have never had bette service in a restaurant and that was from the minute we walked in the door. The restaurant was beautiful and it was wonderful to learn the history. The food was delicious and the presentation was excellent. It is for a special occasion as the it is pricey, but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended by localsPamelaDined on 10/16/2014Upon a recommendation from friends who had recently dined here we decided to make a reservation for our 2 day stay in Monterey. It was a wonderful choice. It is a great place for a romantic and special occasion dinner. It is not on the water but is a very elegant venue. Our waitress was fabulous with the service being top notch! The food was delicious. Both my husband and I ordered the ABALONE BISQUE soup that was highlighted on the menu. This was amazing and I would dine here for this alone. It was a lovely dining experience that I would also recommend.Special Features:
- Upscale Monterey DiningwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 10/16/2014Monterey's Cannery Row area is a casual, comfortable environment. 30 years ago, I found the upscale Sardine Factory and have been dining here ever since. The service is polished, table settings formal, even a light sorbet swan intermezzo can be ordered to cleanse your palette between courses. The abalone (soup or sautéed) is locally sourced, excellent. The oysters fresh, flavorful, meaty. If the waiter claims the shrimp was just caught, expected to be wow'd. Steaks here are usually the best (including better than the nearby steakhouse), and always cooked to perfection. This visit, my filet was perfect yet my spouse was disappointed with the 55 day aged NY. Side of bernaise was excellent, lobster topping very dry. Try the Tater Tots!
- SardineSquiggly7Dined on 10/11/2014We came to the races in Monterey last weekend and decided to try the Sardine Factory for dinner. It was very nice setting but the service was slow although our waiter was very nice. The food was good. The best thing on the menu was the abalone chowder, absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- overratedmaestromikeDined on 10/10/2014Way over priced. Of all the meals we had while in Monterey, this restaurant was at the bottom of the list when you take into account the cost of the food. Not taking into account the cost, it was right there with our meal at Bubba Gump's....
- The Abalone QuestverybeverlyDined on 10/5/2014Found this place after an online search for restaurants serving abalone. Had fears it was an expensive restaurant past it's prime but ended up wishing I had discovered this place earlier. You would never tell from the gimmicky outside entrance that there is a large "gazebo" windowed dining room at the back. A charming setting, attentive service checking back periodically, and the abalone (wild caught) was worth every dollar. I will be back when travelling this area again.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectations again!Geo44Dined on 10/4/2014One of our favorite dining venues was experienced again. As we always look forward to our dining experience here we have never been disappointed. The entire dining experience was as rewarding as we could have ever hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanitation nightmareLaobanDined on 9/30/2014My sons order of swordfish came out, as he was eating it, a large piece of inked paper appeared on the bottom. Stopped eating, gave to wait staff... But the response was pretty underwhelming . We were all put off our food, the waiter and manage didn't give a shxx. For the prices charged , 45+ per entree! would expect a manager or mr balesteri to take some interest, comp a dessert for table! replace my sons entree... But nothing . Wait staff said he had to check w manager about even taking off the entree wrapped in trash... Manager never saw us, came over ... Big fat nothing.
- Good choice in Monterey!Ksol23Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent dinner from the cocktails to the shrimp apptetizer, Caesar salad, Swordfish and Snapper entrees to the sorbet! Everything tasted great, we were seated in the back atrium room. Service was very attentive! Would definitely go back there again when in Monterey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always!Boogie50Dined on 9/22/2014Long time customer of the Sardine Factory, when there to celebrate our anniversary, was not disappoionted. Food was great, as always, and the service was top notch-highly recommend if you're in the Monterey area.Special Features:
- A mixed experienceTraveller01Dined on 9/20/2014Sardine's is a vibrant scene. On arrival we were offered a table in the bar area with televisions playing alongside the pianist/singer. From its billing we were expecting something more special so we requested a table in one of the more formal parts of the restaurant which was arranged. Still very noisy but food quite good. Service was average - multiple servers but still had to repeat request for service on several occasions.Special Features:
- Awesome wit daughter staffs amazingIMUribe1Dined on 9/20/2014Great ambiance. Details made R night 'eventful'. We both loved it. Really enjoyed that they had 'special of da day' & everyone made da special aspects of the evening. Including da selfie we took with da server. Awesome! Thanks The only thing it was missing a free dessert! : (Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeRobertDined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere, food and service were great. Everybody was very attentive to us. This is a very nice and relaxing place to eat. It is one of those restaurants that you can go for a special occasion or just an everyday lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerBob64Dined on 9/17/2014Great service. Great food and wine to choose from Great place to enjoy a business dinner and time to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjcsunVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great meal, excellent service, beautiful setting, perhaps a bit dated in the decor but overall a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood everDivineDined on 9/11/2014Was hesitant but amazed. Ambiance is great. Wine list is extensive waiters are knowledgable food is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicenorma1ukDined on 9/9/2014Just wanted to say I love the Sardine Factory I eat there every time I visit. My waiter Mark was excellent, the food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful. Keep up the good work, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Dreaming2dy4Dined on 9/9/2014This was excellent as always. "Big Mike" the bartender is the best anywhere. Clint Eastwood even stopped by for a cold beer at the bar. The appetizers, Salmon, Crab Cakes, everything was exceptional. If you want the best for a good price, this is where you should go.Special Features:
- Another Great MealJJJJDined on 9/8/2014Although the regular prices are high, check out the special early bird and "Steinbeck platter" deals. Good value for great food!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceFredDined on 9/8/2014From the moment we walked in our experience was accommodating and excellent! The wine selected for us was an absolutely perfect complement to our meal. We will be back any time we are in Monterey. Thanks team and crewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely niceUSAFretiredDined on 9/6/2014Located in downtown Monterey, easy access, valet parking. Everyone was extremely courteous from parking the car, being seated, service and upon leaving I felt like family. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.