701 Wave Street
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sardinefactory.com/
- Phone: 8313733775
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5 PM to 10 PM Friday & Saturday 5 PM to 11 PM Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kent J. Specht
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For 45 years the Sardine Factory restaurant has been creating distinctive and memorable private events for discriminating customers. Whether a family gathering or corporate event, each private party receives our full attention and commitment.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Rodriguez 8313736625
- Entertainment: David Conley at the Piano Tuesday through Saturday.
David has been a professional musician since the age of 17. He has played in numerous bands, opening for various acts such as Steppenwolf, Black Oak Arkansas, Rick Derringer, Crash Test Dummies and more. Versatile and accommodating David takes and plays requests from Led Zeppelin to Elvis Presley to the Everly Brothers.
- Cross Street: Prescott
- Public Transit: MST stop less than 2 blocks away on the corner of Wave St. & David.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Enter off of Wave Street ascending the driveway. Self park Sunday through Thursday with self park or valet service available Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Sardine Factory
Every city has that one can’t miss restaurant, where celebrities feel at home and every other guest feels like a celebrity. Since October 2, 1968, The Sardine Factory’s cachet has made dining in our historic Cannery Row setting a tradition for world leaders, sports heroes and entertainment icons. Our award-winning chefs prepare delectable creations of fresh, sustainable seafood and USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef; winner of Restaurant Hospitality Magazine’s "Best Wine List in America" award. The Lounge’s live entertainment, Happy Hour and affordable menu are a casual alternative to our other dining rooms. Celebrating our 45th Anniversary!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sardine Factory - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Sardine Factory reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (147)romantic (121)notable wine list (98)fit for foodies (67)good for groups (48)neighborhood gem (43)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (12)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)Show More
- Good choice in Monterey!Ksol23Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent dinner from the cocktails to the shrimp apptetizer, Caesar salad, Swordfish and Snapper entrees to the sorbet! Everything tasted great, we were seated in the back atrium room. Service was very attentive! Would definitely go back there again when in Monterey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always!Boogie50Dined on 9/22/2014Long time customer of the Sardine Factory, when there to celebrate our anniversary, was not disappoionted. Food was great, as always, and the service was top notch-highly recommend if you're in the Monterey area.Special Features:
- A mixed experienceTraveller01Dined on 9/20/2014Sardine's is a vibrant scene. On arrival we were offered a table in the bar area with televisions playing alongside the pianist/singer. From its billing we were expecting something more special so we requested a table in one of the more formal parts of the restaurant which was arranged. Still very noisy but food quite good. Service was average - multiple servers but still had to repeat request for service on several occasions.Special Features:
- AwesomeRobertDined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere, food and service were great. Everybody was very attentive to us. This is a very nice and relaxing place to eat. It is one of those restaurants that you can go for a special occasion or just an everyday lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerBob64Dined on 9/17/2014Great service. Great food and wine to choose from Great place to enjoy a business dinner and time to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjcsunVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great meal, excellent service, beautiful setting, perhaps a bit dated in the decor but overall a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood everDivineDined on 9/11/2014Was hesitant but amazed. Ambiance is great. Wine list is extensive waiters are knowledgable food is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicenorma1ukDined on 9/9/2014Just wanted to say I love the Sardine Factory I eat there every time I visit. My waiter Mark was excellent, the food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful. Keep up the good work, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Dreaming2dy4Dined on 9/9/2014This was excellent as always. "Big Mike" the bartender is the best anywhere. Clint Eastwood even stopped by for a cold beer at the bar. The appetizers, Salmon, Crab Cakes, everything was exceptional. If you want the best for a good price, this is where you should go.Special Features:
- Another Great MealJJJJDined on 9/8/2014Although the regular prices are high, check out the special early bird and "Steinbeck platter" deals. Good value for great food!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceFredDined on 9/8/2014From the moment we walked in our experience was accommodating and excellent! The wine selected for us was an absolutely perfect complement to our meal. We will be back any time we are in Monterey. Thanks team and crewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely niceUSAFretiredDined on 9/6/2014Located in downtown Monterey, easy access, valet parking. Everyone was extremely courteous from parking the car, being seated, service and upon leaving I felt like family. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot Beware of PricetreetroubleDined on 9/4/2014From our initial arrival we felt take care of. The host showed us to the arboretum just before sunset and the atmosphere was great. The menu had plenty of seafood, steak and pasta items to choose from and the waitstaff was fantastic. The menu is pretty pricey for food that is just "pretty good." I ordered the Sandab plate at $28 and a bowl of clam chowder $10. What you are paying for is a great experience with okay food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it in '99, loved it in 2014.welive2eatDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed a meal here on our last trip to CA. We hoped it would be as good on our return visit, and indeed it was! Food was fresh and delicious. Both our server and the sommelier were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We were so happy to have another good experience at this lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabzVIPDined on 8/31/2014We returned to the Sardine Factory over the labor day weekend. My dining companion had fond memories of many good dinners there. While the food was good, it was nothing special. The wine list is impressive, and they opened and decanted the wine we brought - the wine service was very nice. My salmon, while fresh, was smothered in sauce, and the salad was pedestrian. Our waitress was robotic and not very welcoming.Special Features:
- Monterey GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014First visit to the Sardine Factory despite many years of traveling to Monterey, and what a treat. We were seated in the beautiful atrium and had an outstanding meal - the Abalone bisque was most excellent. Wish I'd saved room for dessert :)Special Features:
- Super salty pasta and fatty steakMtyuenDined on 8/31/2014My clam linguini ($24) was super salty and husband's ribeye steak ($56) was 50% fat. The waiter did not come by to ask about our food for 20 minutes. He later apologized for the poor food quality but it was too late because we were hungry consumed some of our food already. I also asked about the online 20% off coupon from the restaurant and the waiter said he would ask the manager about it but he discarded the coupon all together. Everything was way overpriced. We will not return again.Special Features:
- Good DinnerSFMomOf2VIPDined on 8/30/2014We visit Monterey every summer with our kids. This was our first visit to the Sardine Factory. We were seated promptly upon arrival, but it took some time before our server appeared (he did apologize for the delay, the restaurant was packed). Server was friendly and made suggestions. Food was tasty and generous in portion size. We ordered their famed cheese bread, but wasn't impressed with it at all. The rest of our appetizers and entrees were very good. Their menu selection is large, so you won't have a problem finding something to please everyone, but prices lean towards the higher end. We would visit again when we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLiv2eatDined on 8/28/2014My swordfish was fair but my husbands pasta was awful. Would not go back with so many good options around.
- Monterey ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014A consistently good experience. The conservatory is a very nice setting. The wait staff is very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/24/2014Outstanding dinner with impecible service. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants an exceptional meal in a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerAndyDined on 8/23/2014Food was amazing and service was great! Lobster ravioli was delicious and the salmon and crab were great too!!!Special Features:
- Good Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We've been to the Sardine Factory several times before and the food and service is always very good.Special Features:
- Sardine FactoryDining4loveoffoodDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic, specialized service with great food and wine. Definite place for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and crowded.JoeAndAnnieDined on 8/22/2014We were squeezed into a table between two larger parties. I could hear them eating their food, but I could barely hear my wife or understand the waiter. Menu was overpriced and unimaginative. One of the people on my left complained she was ill and left the restaurant. Not a night to remember.
- Birthday CelebrationFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great time celebrating my son's 19th birthday. I am a local so I have been to this restaurant before. Calamari was good, Cheese Bread tasted good but lacked presentation. Bread was smothered in cheese (looked like cheddar) and a bit heavy. I had the Petite Filet Mignon with Twice Baked Potato and a Roasted Tomato. Great portion as I filled up on bread and Calamari. My cocktail was the "Blue Sardine" - tasty! Brian H., the Maitre d' did a great job looking after our table - had the Sorbet in the ice sculpture Intermezzo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special in every wayseabrzDined on 8/21/2014From the wine cellar and wine list to the various dining rooms and service, no place in California, compares with the Sardine Factory. We enjoyed a wine only available to subscribers, dishes that we don't make at home - veal and petite maine lobster - and fun desserts like affogato al caffe'. We are local and this is one of our special places that always delivers a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicvodilDined on 8/20/2014I eat there once every few years. Reliable upscale (steak and) seafood for when one is tired of tourist and junk food.Special Features:
- RobertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014The Sardine Factory is one of our favorites. They treat you like everybody would want to be treated. The food is excellent and the service, decor, and atmosphere are all outstanding. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Memorable dinnerNancyDined on 8/20/2014We came to Sardine Factory because we had a trip planned to Monterey and my boyfriend had received a gift card for his birthday. It was a wonderful experience - first time either of us had been there. The food was great and the service was excellent. We enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining.RickRulesDined on 8/20/2014We were here for my mother's 93rd birthday. Service was slow and we were there at 5:45 PM? Not impressive. The Rose wine ( 1 of only 2 available on the wine list ???) that the wine buyer suggested was like Cool Aid in texture. It was from Lebanon. Go figure...we are in California! No CA Rose available! He did not really want to spend much time with us. Food was average, including my bland seafood Paella, which had almost no flavor! After coming here 10 yrs, a return is doubtful.
- AndThenVIPDined on 8/19/2014Marvelous abalone bisque; I had wild abalone with 3 grilled shrimp (appetizer); husband had crab pasta (entree); finished with magnificant flaming sardines. Belated anniversary dinner. Absolutely superb.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor Service1234llDined on 8/19/2014As locals we have been to the Sardine Factory many times for happy hours and will return for that, however I don't think I will be back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful treasure in Cannery RowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014This is a terrific restaurant, with a touch of formality and a lot of old fashioned class. The bar is wonderful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is uniformly outstanding. I couldn't recommend it more. Worth going out of your way for. Cannery Row is frantic and has gotten pretty tacky in recent years, but Sardine Factory retains its high standards. But be sure to bring a wallet or two. All of this wonderfulness comes at a steep price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedENF64VIPDined on 8/16/2014I wonder why a restaurant of this reputation agrees to take an Opentable reservation shortly before the due time (around 7 pm for the first available time of 845pm) and then have their guests (four) wait for 1 full hour. That is unacceptable, especially when we were told that it was going to be a 15 to 20 min wait in the first place. We were not the only ones having that problem. The food was good but nothing exceptional for a pricy menu list that has probably not seen an update from the time Clint Eastwood visited the Sardine Factory. The service was rather slow. It was also very noisy. The restaurant itself is very nice and makes it a good candidate for a special occasion event provided they work on the issues I mentioned above.Special Features:
- Sardine Factory is the bestAppreciatefinefoodDined on 8/14/2014We returned to the Sardine Factory again this year and it never fails to impress. Dining in the Atrium can be noisy but it is where you will find the feeling of being in a garden green house. If you want romantic, dine in one of the intimate side alcoves. The food quality is first rate and the presentations make you look close before inserting your fork. An after dinner drink in front of the fire place will round out a perfect evening. We come to Monterey in mid summer to get out of the heat in our home state and knowing Sardine Factory will be waiting influences our choice of being here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While in Monterey...OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/14/2014Definitely a spot to check to for some very good food.Special Features:
- Anniversary at sardine factoryCindylouDined on 8/11/2014My husband and I chose to celebrate our 45th anniversary at The Sardine Factory. We live in Sparks, NV and had eaten there several times over the years. We were fortunate to be seated in the glass dome room. Beautiful. The server was very nice, helpful, and attentive. The Sommallier was very knowledgeable and personable. Our meals were so delicious. It was a wonderful anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must-visit in MontereySBWinosDined on 8/9/2014We choose the Sardine Factory to celebrate my parents 45th wedding anniversary with visiting Monterey because of the outstanind food and beautiful ambiance. My husband had been there a few years ago and enjoyed the food and entertainment in the lounge. We made it a point to visit again for a special occasion and this was well worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysDinerbDined on 8/8/2014Great place that never lets us down. We really enjoy the history of the place and it is always consistently good.Special Features: