701 Wave Street
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sardinefactory.com/
- Phone: 8313733775
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5 PM to 10 PM Friday & Saturday 5 PM to 11 PM Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kent J. Specht
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For 45 years the Sardine Factory restaurant has been creating distinctive and memorable private events for discriminating customers. Whether a family gathering or corporate event, each private party receives our full attention and commitment.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Rodriguez 8313736625
- Entertainment: David Conley at the Piano Tuesday through Saturday.
David has been a professional musician since the age of 17. He has played in numerous bands, opening for various acts such as Steppenwolf, Black Oak Arkansas, Rick Derringer, Crash Test Dummies and more. Versatile and accommodating David takes and plays requests from Led Zeppelin to Elvis Presley to the Everly Brothers.
- Cross Street: Prescott
- Public Transit: MST stop less than 2 blocks away on the corner of Wave St. & David.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Enter off of Wave Street ascending the driveway. Self park Sunday through Thursday with self park or valet service available Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Sardine Factory
Every city has that one can’t miss restaurant, where celebrities feel at home and every other guest feels like a celebrity. Since October 2, 1968, The Sardine Factory’s cachet has made dining in our historic Cannery Row setting a tradition for world leaders, sports heroes and entertainment icons. Our award-winning chefs prepare delectable creations of fresh, sustainable seafood and USDA Prime Dry Aged Beef; winner of Restaurant Hospitality Magazine’s "Best Wine List in America" award. The Lounge’s live entertainment, Happy Hour and affordable menu are a casual alternative to our other dining rooms. Celebrating our 45th Anniversary!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sardine Factory - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Sardine Factory reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)romantic (109)notable wine list (89)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (42)neighborhood gem (35)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (12)great for brunch (12)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Service and the wine and food are the best. We really loved the Conservatory room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectwowinpgDined on 10/24/2014Looking for a perfect spot to celebrate fifteen years of marriage to my sweetheart. Couldn't have picked a better spot. It was busy, yet intimate. It was perfect for us. GregSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRD24VIPDined on 10/24/2014Has seen much better times. Poor lighting meant to accentuate romance or discreet dining, resulted in creepily dark atmosphere (except for light from TV screen in with sports broadcast on) Food was bland - nothing special, plate served from behind over head rather than from the side, foot stepped on by waiter (probably due to poor light). Advertised special menu had to be requested, waiter wasn't sure and had to check. Much better restaurants in area.
- Great Food but priceyluvgoodfoodDined on 10/20/2014Food was wonderful and service was excellent. be prepared for a expensive meal though. have been here before and plan on coming back whenever we are in Monterey.Special Features:
- Once again...a GREAT place!kitchen2uDined on 10/19/20141st went here on our honeymoon 33 years ago...went another time a few years later...haven't been since. But Sardine Factory is still the same, FABulous food, AMAZing service, all around great place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Everything was very good, Mike the bartender was a joy to talk to and interact. We were a little disapointed in our waiter in that she left us sitting for 45 mins before the entree arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable DinnerThe2ofustogetherDined on 10/17/2014We went to the Sardine Factory on our vacation to Monterey and had a wonderful experience. We have never had bette service in a restaurant and that was from the minute we walked in the door. The restaurant was beautiful and it was wonderful to learn the history. The food was delicious and the presentation was excellent. It is for a special occasion as the it is pricey, but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Monterey DiningwhocareswhoiamVIPDined on 10/16/2014Monterey's Cannery Row area is a casual, comfortable environment. 30 years ago, I found the upscale Sardine Factory and have been dining here ever since. The service is polished, table settings formal, even a light sorbet swan intermezzo can be ordered to cleanse your palette between courses. The abalone (soup or sautéed) is locally sourced, excellent. The oysters fresh, flavorful, meaty. If the waiter claims the shrimp was just caught, expected to be wow'd. Steaks here are usually the best (including better than the nearby steakhouse), and always cooked to perfection. This visit, my filet was perfect yet my spouse was disappointed with the 55 day aged NY. Side of bernaise was excellent, lobster topping very dry. Try the Tater Tots!
- SardineSquiggly7Dined on 10/11/2014We came to the races in Monterey last weekend and decided to try the Sardine Factory for dinner. It was very nice setting but the service was slow although our waiter was very nice. The food was good. The best thing on the menu was the abalone chowder, absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- overratedmaestromikeDined on 10/10/2014Way over priced. Of all the meals we had while in Monterey, this restaurant was at the bottom of the list when you take into account the cost of the food. Not taking into account the cost, it was right there with our meal at Bubba Gump's....
- The Abalone QuestverybeverlyDined on 10/5/2014Found this place after an online search for restaurants serving abalone. Had fears it was an expensive restaurant past it's prime but ended up wishing I had discovered this place earlier. You would never tell from the gimmicky outside entrance that there is a large "gazebo" windowed dining room at the back. A charming setting, attentive service checking back periodically, and the abalone (wild caught) was worth every dollar. I will be back when travelling this area again.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectations again!Geo44Dined on 10/4/2014One of our favorite dining venues was experienced again. As we always look forward to our dining experience here we have never been disappointed. The entire dining experience was as rewarding as we could have ever hopedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanitation nightmareLaobanDined on 9/30/2014My sons order of swordfish came out, as he was eating it, a large piece of inked paper appeared on the bottom. Stopped eating, gave to wait staff... But the response was pretty underwhelming . We were all put off our food, the waiter and manage didn't give a shxx. For the prices charged , 45+ per entree! would expect a manager or mr balesteri to take some interest, comp a dessert for table! replace my sons entree... But nothing . Wait staff said he had to check w manager about even taking off the entree wrapped in trash... Manager never saw us, came over ... Big fat nothing.
- Good choice in Monterey!Ksol23Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent dinner from the cocktails to the shrimp apptetizer, Caesar salad, Swordfish and Snapper entrees to the sorbet! Everything tasted great, we were seated in the back atrium room. Service was very attentive! Would definitely go back there again when in Monterey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always!Boogie50Dined on 9/22/2014Long time customer of the Sardine Factory, when there to celebrate our anniversary, was not disappoionted. Food was great, as always, and the service was top notch-highly recommend if you're in the Monterey area.Special Features:
- A mixed experienceTraveller01Dined on 9/20/2014Sardine's is a vibrant scene. On arrival we were offered a table in the bar area with televisions playing alongside the pianist/singer. From its billing we were expecting something more special so we requested a table in one of the more formal parts of the restaurant which was arranged. Still very noisy but food quite good. Service was average - multiple servers but still had to repeat request for service on several occasions.Special Features:
- Awesome wit daughter staffs amazingIMUribe1Dined on 9/20/2014Great ambiance. Details made R night 'eventful'. We both loved it. Really enjoyed that they had 'special of da day' & everyone made da special aspects of the evening. Including da selfie we took with da server. Awesome! Thanks The only thing it was missing a free dessert! : (Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeRobertDined on 9/19/2014Atmosphere, food and service were great. Everybody was very attentive to us. This is a very nice and relaxing place to eat. It is one of those restaurants that you can go for a special occasion or just an everyday lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerBob64Dined on 9/17/2014Great service. Great food and wine to choose from Great place to enjoy a business dinner and time to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjcsunVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great meal, excellent service, beautiful setting, perhaps a bit dated in the decor but overall a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood everDivineDined on 9/11/2014Was hesitant but amazed. Ambiance is great. Wine list is extensive waiters are knowledgable food is fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicenorma1ukDined on 9/9/2014Just wanted to say I love the Sardine Factory I eat there every time I visit. My waiter Mark was excellent, the food was great and the staff was friendly and helpful. Keep up the good work, I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Dreaming2dy4Dined on 9/9/2014This was excellent as always. "Big Mike" the bartender is the best anywhere. Clint Eastwood even stopped by for a cold beer at the bar. The appetizers, Salmon, Crab Cakes, everything was exceptional. If you want the best for a good price, this is where you should go.Special Features:
- Another Great MealJJJJDined on 9/8/2014Although the regular prices are high, check out the special early bird and "Steinbeck platter" deals. Good value for great food!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceFredDined on 9/8/2014From the moment we walked in our experience was accommodating and excellent! The wine selected for us was an absolutely perfect complement to our meal. We will be back any time we are in Monterey. Thanks team and crewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely niceUSAFretiredDined on 9/6/2014Located in downtown Monterey, easy access, valet parking. Everyone was extremely courteous from parking the car, being seated, service and upon leaving I felt like family. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Spot Beware of PricetreetroubleDined on 9/4/2014From our initial arrival we felt take care of. The host showed us to the arboretum just before sunset and the atmosphere was great. The menu had plenty of seafood, steak and pasta items to choose from and the waitstaff was fantastic. The menu is pretty pricey for food that is just "pretty good." I ordered the Sandab plate at $28 and a bowl of clam chowder $10. What you are paying for is a great experience with okay food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it in '99, loved it in 2014.welive2eatDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed a meal here on our last trip to CA. We hoped it would be as good on our return visit, and indeed it was! Food was fresh and delicious. Both our server and the sommelier were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We were so happy to have another good experience at this lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabzVIPDined on 8/31/2014We returned to the Sardine Factory over the labor day weekend. My dining companion had fond memories of many good dinners there. While the food was good, it was nothing special. The wine list is impressive, and they opened and decanted the wine we brought - the wine service was very nice. My salmon, while fresh, was smothered in sauce, and the salad was pedestrian. Our waitress was robotic and not very welcoming.Special Features:
- Monterey GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014First visit to the Sardine Factory despite many years of traveling to Monterey, and what a treat. We were seated in the beautiful atrium and had an outstanding meal - the Abalone bisque was most excellent. Wish I'd saved room for dessert :)Special Features:
- Super salty pasta and fatty steakMtyuenDined on 8/31/2014My clam linguini ($24) was super salty and husband's ribeye steak ($56) was 50% fat. The waiter did not come by to ask about our food for 20 minutes. He later apologized for the poor food quality but it was too late because we were hungry consumed some of our food already. I also asked about the online 20% off coupon from the restaurant and the waiter said he would ask the manager about it but he discarded the coupon all together. Everything was way overpriced. We will not return again.Special Features:
- Good DinnerSFMomOf2VIPDined on 8/30/2014We visit Monterey every summer with our kids. This was our first visit to the Sardine Factory. We were seated promptly upon arrival, but it took some time before our server appeared (he did apologize for the delay, the restaurant was packed). Server was friendly and made suggestions. Food was tasty and generous in portion size. We ordered their famed cheese bread, but wasn't impressed with it at all. The rest of our appetizers and entrees were very good. Their menu selection is large, so you won't have a problem finding something to please everyone, but prices lean towards the higher end. We would visit again when we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLiv2eatDined on 8/28/2014My swordfish was fair but my husbands pasta was awful. Would not go back with so many good options around.
- Monterey ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014A consistently good experience. The conservatory is a very nice setting. The wait staff is very gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/24/2014Outstanding dinner with impecible service. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants an exceptional meal in a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerAndyDined on 8/23/2014Food was amazing and service was great! Lobster ravioli was delicious and the salmon and crab were great too!!!Special Features:
- Good Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We've been to the Sardine Factory several times before and the food and service is always very good.Special Features:
- Sardine FactoryDining4loveoffoodDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic, specialized service with great food and wine. Definite place for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisy and crowded.JoeAndAnnieDined on 8/22/2014We were squeezed into a table between two larger parties. I could hear them eating their food, but I could barely hear my wife or understand the waiter. Menu was overpriced and unimaginative. One of the people on my left complained she was ill and left the restaurant. Not a night to remember.
- Birthday CelebrationFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great time celebrating my son's 19th birthday. I am a local so I have been to this restaurant before. Calamari was good, Cheese Bread tasted good but lacked presentation. Bread was smothered in cheese (looked like cheddar) and a bit heavy. I had the Petite Filet Mignon with Twice Baked Potato and a Roasted Tomato. Great portion as I filled up on bread and Calamari. My cocktail was the "Blue Sardine" - tasty! Brian H., the Maitre d' did a great job looking after our table - had the Sorbet in the ice sculpture Intermezzo, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.