413 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saravanabhavan.com/
- Phone: 2122217755
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00PM - 3:00PM; Dinner: Daily: 5:00PM - 10:30PM; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Yunus Shahul
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Yunus 9175133582
A word from Saravana Bhavan
Each new restaurant added to our network carries the legacy of good taste and quality. The trust that our customers have placed in us has been a motivating factor in exploring new destinations. Today, our group has its presence across 25 outlets in South India, 2 in the North and 10 countries with 30 outlets across the globe. We have come a long way creating a niche among the Hotelier & Caterer segment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saravana Bhavan reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great DosassarabeeDined on 4/12/2013You go here for the food, especially the amazing dosas. We shared one with mashed potato and my cousins and I agreed it tasted just like Grandma's knishes! Great choice if you are dining with a vegan friend because you can enjoy the food and not feel like you are making a sacrifice for them. The surroundings are only so-so and the service is likewise. The waiters will bring you what you ask for (like plates for everyone at the table) but you do have to ask for things. It does not seat that many people, especially if the outside tables are not usable because of the weather, so don't expect to sit there and talk after your meal. You have the feeling that they really want the table back.Special Features:
- Forget about reservations!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/7/2013We've made reservations twice through OpenTable. The first time was fine. The food was good. We decided to come back. The second time, we made a reservation for an early dinner, 5 PM. It was confirmed by OpenTable. We showed up. The place was locked. Through the window we say one waiter sleeping on a couple of chairs. I knocked several times. A second waiter held up 5 fingers, indicating five minutes. Six minutes later he came to the door and indicated with his hands, 30 minutes. The sign on the door said the restaurant opens at 5 PM. It's not worth it if the restaurant is not open.
- awesome food. dont take reservationAmanDined on 11/30/2012Amazing food!!! Best dosas and sambar in town But when we got there we were told that location does not take reservations . They werent sure why their UWS location was showing up on open table. We went early (630 pm) and got lucky as they were able to seat us immediately . However I recommend calling the restaurant directly rather than rely on open table reservations for this restaurant.Special Features:
- The service is bad, horrible,NYCGirl123321VIPDined on 11/24/2012The service is bad, horrible, the end. Food is good and this is a famous chain around the world for quality south Indian food. But come for the food, and that's it.Special Features:
- We made reservations via OpentableOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/2/2012We made reservations via Opentable and upon arrival they REFUSED to acknowledge the reservation. The manager went as far as saying "We dont use Opentable." I highly suggest discontinuing their availability if that is the case. Thank you.
- Good food-bad serviceJLCNYVIPDined on 9/28/2012I like the food here but the service as usual was terrible. Almost all reviews of Saravana have commented on the service yet it never improves. And it is NEVER ready to serve at 12:00 noon.Special Features:
- Good food, unorganized and mediocreJLCNYVIPDined on 9/19/2012I arrived for lunch at 12:30. I was told there was no food. When I asked if they would be serving lunch, they said 5-10 min. After 10 min. they said another 5 min. Finally at 12:50 they let people in for lunch. A bit disorganized and the waiters spoke very little English. But the Marsala Dosas are very good here. For the first time the waiter did bring around water at regular intervals - this never happened before.
- Vegetarian Indian food - superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012Vegetarian Indian food - superb! Very glad it's near by.Special Features:
- Terrible service, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2012Terrible service, food was too greasy, noisy restuarant with poor air conditioning
- good Indian kosher vegetariansunshineVIPDined on 8/22/2012good Indian kosher vegetarian fare although more variety of vegetables would be an asset.
- The service was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2012The service was attentive for most of the meal and the food was delicious. We will definitely return for more.
- Great place for lunch/brunch. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/13/2012Great place for lunch/brunch. Very good masale Dosas and vegan foodSpecial Features:
- Best Masala Dosa I have had,wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/8/2012Best Masala Dosa I have had,would highly recommend this resturant for lunch.great prices and excellent food.Special Features:
- Come here for the authenticUWS2VIPDined on 5/12/2012Come here for the authentic dosas. We've had a fair number of dosas in Singapore and India, and Saravana's dosas hold their own. The decor is utilitarian, and so is the service, but you don't come here for romantic dates. Nice to kids.Special Features:
- PLEASE NOTE - I had no foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012PLEASE NOTE - I had no food - Zero Stars, likewise ambience and noise. Attitude is MINUS STARS. This review is from my last visit. To that point I was a reasonably regular customer. On Staurday 7/14 I booked for 5 people through open table. We had the choice of 2pm, 3pm or 5pm. We had our booking accpeted and travelled from FiDi to UWS. We arrived on time, 2 people were sat down, then we said we had booked a table and they just rudely stated the restaurant was closed. Unbelievable. Open table needs to sort out times, this place is a disgrace. I want to give it Zero stars but can't. I can't rate anything else , I wasn't allowed to eat
- Great vegetarian food though pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2012Fantastic south Indian fare. Authentic and tasty. Food was fresh, esp the coconut chutney. Moderate to smallish portions at a slightly high price. The appetizers were expensive, but tasty.Special Features:
- Two out of three dishes superb.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2012Two out of three dishes superb. The third was average in flavor. Look forward to going back and trying more dishes. The staff was not sure what was available more than once and we were brought the wrong food twice. The kitchen and staff need better communication!
- Best masala dosa I have inOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/22/2012Best masala dosa I have in years,would definetly go back.Special Features: