New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sapphireny.com/
- Phone: 2122454444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Vajay Bhargava/ Guman Saugh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wine
A word from Sapphire
Sapphire serves multiregional fare in an airy, serene space. The food is well worth its price, and the prix fixe lunch is quite a buy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sapphire reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (9)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Decent but expensive Indian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Try the buffet lunch much more reasonably priced than the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sapphire shines.1whoknowsDined on 10/23/2014Traditional comfortable setting & extensive typical Indian menu with well prepared food, pleasant, friendly service, great location for Lincoln Center & cinemas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good pre philharmonic123abcVIPDined on 10/18/2014Service a tad slow Saturday but we will return in the future; food great
- Great Indian Food by Lincoln CenterGreenburghSethVIPDined on 10/9/2014We've eaten at Sapphire many times over the years and keep on coming back. This time around the food was better than ever! We brought four friends from out of town this time, and they enjoyed it every bit as much as we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Indian PlaceHarveNYCVIPDined on 10/8/2014Sapphire is out go-to place whenever we're in the area. It's attractive, and the price is very reasonably priced for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant IndianDebmilDined on 10/7/2014This is a consistently good Indian restaurant. Lovely decor, good service and excellent food - not overly spiced (I would have liked it more spicy). Very gracious. Very convenient to Lincoln Center.Special Features:
- lovesfoodVIPDined on 9/27/2014Consistently outstanding food but the hallmark is it's wonderful, attentive and often elegant service. My family loves Sapphire and my guests are always impressed too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasesRickNYDined on 9/27/2014We've eaten at Sapphire many times. We always go there for our first NY Philharmonic concert of the season. It always is a great experience. Great food, pleasant atmosphere, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality, value, and locationbatonsrusDined on 9/23/2014We had out of town friends visiting NYC and chose Sapphire to meet for lunch from many past visits, it did not disappoint. The food was fresh and tasty, the ambience quiet so that we could talk naturally, which is not the case with so many NYC restaurants. The plaques with names and descriptions of the interesting variety of tasty dishes is a very useful feature, much appreciated. The staff was attentive but could have been a bit more friendly. They didn't explain about closing time in advance, which would have been more comfortable because we felt rushed. The location makes it perfect for meeting friends who are visiting town as well as for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great, but smile a littleShaman514VIPDined on 9/20/2014Food is great, service is efficient... But not the warmest welcome or service.... Smiles usually go a long way.Special Features:
- rutiDined on 9/15/2014I've never been before to an Indian restaurant where you are charged for rice when you order main course. It was quiet an unpleasant surprise!!!! food is fair. I've been to other restaurants (and prices were more reasonable and you didn't have to pay for rice) where food was much more tastier for same dishes.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal hereEHS12Dined on 8/17/2014We were looking for a west side Indian restaurant for dinner. Frankly, there aren't a lot of choices that are dining experiences. The food was very good here as was the service and we liked the atmosphere in the restaurant. We had an enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We're not conossoires, but we loved the food we ate. Service was great - although there were very few people since it was late. But service was very quick and food well prepared and presented. Great for a late night dinner.Special Features:
- Good overallJMTRVIPDined on 8/6/2014But waiter didn't tell us that one of the ice cream flavors wasn't available, and then substituted another one without saying anything until we asked. Not great service.
- Wonderful experience!GemmaDined on 8/6/2014This is our second visit to Sapphire and certainly not our last we LOVE this place! The food is excellent, the staff is lovely, kind, warm and professional, you almost don’t know they are there-they are just that good. The wines are amazing and the staff is knowledgeable which just adds to your great meal.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceDCLDadVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our experience was so good, we went twice! Service was terrific, the waiter remembered us in detail.Special Features:
- Very nice Indian restaurantnew2nycVIPDined on 7/21/2014Very good Indian food..Four of us had very nice time at dinner here.noise level and ambiance especially nice for seniors. good for dining before or after any activities in the Lincoln Center area. The service was attentive,and whole experience positive. our friends had been here before& wanted to return, and now we do also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Good After All These Yearstimeflies1VIPDined on 7/16/2014If you need a good Indian meal near Lincoln Center this is it. We shared the chatapata poori which was an excellent start. Light, tasty and a good way to prime yourself for the entree. Wish there one or two more on the plate. My date has shrimp saag and I had chicken korma. Good portions were enough but not big. Sapphire is one of the few Indian restaurants that charge extra for rice. It would be better if it were built in to the cost for the entree. Entrees and rice were done to perfection. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Only issue was getting the attention of a waiter to get our bill.
- An enjoyable experience54thfoodieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Have visited this restaurant on many occasions and never been disappointed. A good spot to dine before or after an event at Lincoln Center.
- The following 836 reviews are from the Sapphire reviews archive.
- Nice ambiance, good foodSpeisekritikerDined on 7/1/2014Sapphire has a nice ambiance with real linens making the dining experience very pleasant. The service is attentive, but not intrusive. The food is good, but not exceptional - my dish was a bit oily but tasty. The entrees are served without rice which must be purchases a la carte. It would be much better to have smaller portions and include the rice. Restaurants with largely rice-based cuisines that do not include rice with the entree are annoying and off-putting. The menu is also rather limited for an Indian restaurant. Sapphire is a nice place to go before a performance at Lincoln Center but be prepared for a completely a la carte fee structure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lincoln Center SecretSvenskDined on 6/30/2014Here is wonderful restaurant close to Lincoln Center that is wonderful for its service and menu. Scaffolding has been up for years on the block it seems, to you may not see it on Broadway, the same side as Lincoln Center, which is only three blocks up the street.Special Features:
- Better in memorynatchDined on 6/26/2014I've liked this restaurant for years and it's convenient to Lincoln center, but we hadn't been there recently. The food seemed closer to standard Indian restaurant fare this time rather than something special as I'd remembered it. Our table shared three dishes and the lamb dish was good, a vegetable dish I used to love was middling, and the third, a chicken dish, was a real disappointment. It tasted like flavorless plain-cooked chicken meat had been served in a so-so sauce. We may try it again--or not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/25/2014This is my favorite place in the Lincoln Center area. The food is top of the line although the service could be a tad more friendly. It never gets too crowded or noisy and we get out in time for the concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful as alwayshenrieNYCVIPDined on 6/10/2014Fine Indian cuisine from a variety of regions. Something for everyone, even those who "don't like Indian food."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendbluecarDined on 6/7/2014My husband and I are fans of Indian food and this restaurant rates for us as one of the best. The food is tasty without being overpowering and the service is attentive. Very conveniently located.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- location,locationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014convenient to lincoln center with wonderful food and outstanding serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very reliably goodJazzyLadyDined on 5/30/2014This is a good place near Lincoln Center. Good, but not wonderful Indian.Special Features:
- Lincoln Center IndianDAW44VIPDined on 5/22/2014Very convenient to Lincoln center and more reasonable than most of the Time-Warner restaurants. One of the few indian restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Always delightfulJoanVIPDined on 5/22/2014Mango shrimp, peshwari nan are consistent favorites. Lovely room. "Grade Pending" placard on the door is a bit disconcerting.Special Features:
- MehOccasionalvisitorDined on 5/22/2014My Indian friend said there's no such thing as Indian fine dining. Which made sense after this visit. The food was good, just not good enough to justify their prices. Especially since every item was a la carte. $20 each for medium sized bowls of lamb and plate of chicken is pricey. And $5 for a bowl of rice. A $10 box with an entree, rice & 2 vegs would have been a better deal.
- Nice spot before a showYummyTummyDined on 5/19/2014Went here with friends before a show at LaGuardia High School. The food was delish especially the lamb shashlik. It was a bit pricey for Indian food but inexpensive for the neighborhood . I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for something more interesting in a neighborhood full of tourist traps and mediocre, expensive American food.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch buffetNicknameVIPDined on 5/16/2014Sapphire's lunch buffet is consistently very good. There's a wide choice of appealing dishes. I highly recommend it. My only suggestion/complaint is that they could refill the offerings a little faster. Sometimes the wait can be too long for a favorite dish or two to be refilled.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/15/2014As more I come to this restaurant as more I learn about the menus to make a perfect Choice. It just the waiters are not very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice meal but....NancyVIPDined on 5/15/2014the food at Sapphire is great but this time I was disappointed with the service. The restaurant was not full, but no one came to refill our water, take our second drink order. And my raita side never came ---... the neighborhood, and ambiance are so terrific, i hope they improve their wait service to match.Special Features:
- Steadily improvingJustFolksVIPDined on 5/7/2014Not yet outstanding, but the food is getting better and better, and it is not nearly as overpriced as most of its Lincoln Center neighbors.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!foodloverVIPDined on 4/30/2014Love the lunch buffet!!! Many delicious choices. Very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/29/2014Ho hum Indian food close to Lincoln Center. The service was lovely and we had plenty of time to make the theater, but there was nothing special about the food. Too much sauce in every dish. And nothing creative.
- Always excellent.PhilipVIPDined on 4/26/2014Sapphire is our favorite Indian restaurant. The fool is always outstanding, and the menu has numerous excellent dishes to select from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hi-valueIRWINICODined on 4/16/2014A best buy in the Lincoln Square area. Its hard to imagine spending less and getting comparable fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most delicious Indian foodLaurenSVIPDined on 4/12/2014We love Indian food but have found our children ask to go to Sapphire. It is always delicious and feels special. Plus, there are not a lot of interesting food options in the West 60s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.