110 W. Congress Street
Savannah, GA 31401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sapphiregrill.com/
- Phone: (912) 443-9962
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Nason
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Fine catering for private venues available. In-Flight catering available with full service and delivery. Menus available upon request. Please contact us for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties that wish to dine in the wine room, please call the restaurant to make the reservation.
- Private Party Contact: David Tumblin 9124439962
- Special Events: Dedicated floor for special events up to 60 people.
Full In-Flight catering services available.
A word from Sapphire Grill
One of the city's most consistently stylish restaurants evokes a low-key, counterculture bistro, but its cuisine is grander and more cutting-edge than its industrial-looking decor and its level of hipness would imply. Wrapped in warm brick and cool steel, the Sapphire Grill has steeped itself in a history of fine culinary tradition. Christopher Nason is the owner and the most talked about chef of the moment in Savannah, preparing what he defines as a "coastal cuisine" based on seafood hauled in on the day of its preparation from nearby waters. From seasonal chanterelles and oregon black truffles, to the most tender cuts of meat and delicate seafood, Chef Nason and his team work feverishly to keep Sapphire at the mark expected of her.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Sapphire Grill - Best Restaurants in Savannah ›
Sapphire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (37)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (21)good for groups (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014The prices were high for bland food. Expected distinctive flavors.
- one of savannah's top 3 restaurantsthehandsmanDined on 11/14/2014superb menu and service. the Spanish harlem manhattan alone is worth the tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014We have dined here several times and are never disappointed! The entire experience from service, food, wine and dessert are always incredible. We have chosen this for intimate dinners and large parties...the experience is always wonderful. The staff is always accommodating and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in SavannahForrillfoodieDined on 11/2/2014The food and service at this highly recommended restaurant lived up to expectations. The menu is classical but with an inventive twist and local flavour. The taste and presentation were excellent and the wine list was short but exceptional. On our visit the ambience was poor as we were one of only three tables occupied on the third floor while the first floor was buzzing. This pulled down the experience and the review overall which would otherwise have been five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!valkyrie612Dined on 10/26/2014I took my girlfriend out to dinner. The wait staff were very friendly and professional. They let us split the meal, both of us had our own plate with our half of each course individually presented. Very quiet, intimate atmosphere with beautiful local paintings on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check their stock before you go.TexansDined on 10/26/2014We read online that Sapphire Grill had the best salmon in Savannah. We wanted salmon. We made a reservation. They only had one salmon. We had that, plus a pork loin. Good food. Wish we both could have had salmon! The service was excellent; the food is a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good southern cookingUKtouristDined on 10/24/2014We discovered this from several guide books (as tourists to Savannah) and were very pleased with the recommendation. it was abit on the pricey side - but generally we felt interesting combinations and solidy good cookingSpecial Features:
- ok foodpokaipareraDined on 10/24/2014one of the better ones locally, some hit and miss dishes, all a bit clumsy, ok for an easy night out, good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceJwhiteDined on 10/24/2014From the moment we arrived, we were greeted warmly and truly felt welcomed. The menu was excellent, the meals were creatively and artistically presented in way that was both visually pleasing and delightful. I ordered the vegetarian three course meal and was wonderfully pleased with the order. In areas where seafood reigns supreme, truly good vegetarian dishes can be difficult to find. The 3 course vegetarian meal at Sapphire was unique, creative, and was truly delicious! Each course was imaginative and a work of art to the eye and to the taste! A special note should be said about Gabrielle, our server. Her energy and expertise made the meal even better! We both remarked how special she made our dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Great find!LovindatenightsDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I chose Sapphire Grill for our night out away from the kiddos. In my reservation, I had specifically requested a quiet table for a date night. They graciously accommodated and sat us in a cozy table for two in a small semi-private nook. The server made some wonderful recommendations, which we THOROUGHLY enjoyed. We had the calamari to start, which was TO DIE FOR! I had roasted chicken and my hubby had the lamb (upon the server's recommendation). Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at the MansionMimiDined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu and were thrilled with the variety of the courses. The wines that they chose to accompany the courses were outstanding and we enjoyed every minute of the meal. The ambience was old world charm and, being from the North, we appreciated every minute detail of the old mansion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very expensiveNatalieDined on 10/17/2014We were a party of 4 no alcohol only two starters and no dessert, our bill was $192 +Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern decor fits well for fineFoodie1VIPDined on 10/12/2014dining in this city full of more historic settings. Trendy, creative menu, attentive, friendly servers make for an enjoyable experience. A cut below the better restaurants it is still worthwhile as an alternative to those establishments with more longevity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryAndyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food was excellent. Service was polite, but the team were so stretched and there needed to be more of them to give the right level of service. We also thought the atmosphere was very poor, it needed some background music , as the place just felt so quiet.Special Features:
- VeggieGirlDined on 10/6/2014Bread was amazing! wine was good. My dish (vegitarian) was not stellar, but everyone else seemed to like there dish. Cute little restaurant. no beers on tap - only bottles.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way...PrincesssouthVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first time dining at The Sapphire Grill. What a wonderful experience! Nice intimate atmosphere, great for that special occasion or a group. Nice wine cellar that is available for a very private dining area as well. Third level is perfect for a group of 25 or so.... Our waiter, Ernie, was very attentive, very cordial, and a delight. He was extremely knowledgeable and made great dining suggestions.. The Calamari was exceptional!Special Features:
- An ExperienceAndreaDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding menu (especially if you like seafood) and best service in Savannah!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Celebration of WeddingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014One of our daughters was married last May, and she thanked us with a generous gift certificate for the SG. Last Sat, we reserved a room at a historic area hotel and made plans to spend a long evening dining at the SG. Our host David and our waiter (another David) and it seems everyone in the place knew of our celebration and welcomed us to the restaurant with big smiles...we were taken to an upstairs, very quiet and romantic table, and we enjoyed one of our best meals ever. The calamari and foie gras apps were incredible and so was every course to follow. We were pampered, never rushed, the courses came out just at the right time...we had such a wonderful and romantic evening of celebration. We will be back. This is a special place.Special Features:
- Don't order duckChmanDined on 9/13/2014Unfortunately nothing can make up for one bad main course - the duck was tough and over sauced. The rest was great :bass superb, appetizer great, Seamus wine excellent and cobbler a fine finishI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous evening for all six of us.GoodtimesDined on 9/9/2014Our food choices and the presentation were excellent. Staff very attentive. One guest had special diet needs and all accommodated . A really fun girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itAboutTheFoodDined on 9/5/2014I finally ate here Friday night with 2 friends. We shared 2 apps: calamari w/coriander pesto, lime sugar and curried peanuts; and the seared Nantucket scallops with potato cake. The calamari were tender, light & deliciously complemented by the other flavors, enough for 3 to share. Scallops were perfectly cooked and the potato cake was delicate but rich. We had swordfish (from NC) with mustard greens and rice grits (swapped for frites); local chicken stuffed with Brie & arugula, and the duck with sweet potato hash. Every ingredient was fresh, perfectly cooked and distinct but heightened by the preparation. The mocha mousse mille feuilles was the best dessert I've ever eaten in a restaurant. Our bill was under $200, w/5 drinks, not bad.Special Features:
- Safire GrillbcareyDined on 8/30/2014Food was excellent if a bit pricy. Lighting was appropriate for dining, but impossible for reading the menu and wine list, or even for reviewing the bill. Waitress was friendly, but not well trained. Overall, we had a very enjoyable meal, could actually carry on a conversation, and felt the environment was most pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent restaurant! Shrimp and Grouper cooked to perfection. Restaurant is a little pricy for the table fare and compared to other fine Savannah establishments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal and EveningChuckieJDined on 8/27/2014Whenever my husband and I are in Savannah, we arrange to dine at Sapphire Grill. Our recent evening there, on a Wednesday, was better than any of our previous visits. The food, and service were exceptional. The ambience, as always was delightful. This most recent visit was quieter than any prior due to the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) being out for the summer. That did not mean that the restaurant's kitchen was out for the summer...we were served two excellent meals! We prefer to dine on the first level, which includes the bar area. The restaurant also has a formal dining room on the third floor which is lovely. (There is an elevator.) Please, do yourself a favor and visit this lovely restaurant. You won't be sorry!!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious meal!DeneseDined on 8/25/2014We had great meal at Sapphire grill! We loved the Brie and arugula stuffed chicken breast and the rice encrusted seared tuna. Both dishes were amazing. Nice, quiet and intimate setting for dinner. A real neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Extremely overpriced average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014Very disappointing. Although the food was good and the service excellent, it was ridiculously priced. (and we eat out often). For one entree each and a shared glass of wine, it was over $100. Not worth it!!!!
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2014The food was excellent. The meat (new york) was fabulous yet a bit too large for my taste and there are no options for a smaller steak. This would not deter me from going again. Salad , bread and sides all excellent. Highly recommend for a special dinner out.Special Features:
- NopeLuvtoeatDined on 8/9/2014Have to say, we had huge expectations based on other reviews. Sadly we were terribly disappointed. The waitress never introduced herself and immediately told us that they were out of the two dishes that my husband was interested in. The only saving grace was the foie gras that my husband ordered. The crab cakes were mediocre and the duck dish was undercooked and tough. In contrast the grouper dish was overcooked and bland. To finish things up the berry cobbler was more of a berry soup and was practically inedible. We spent over 200 dollars on a dinner that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons. Being from Charleston, we could have spent a fraction of the money for better quality food at our neighborhood bistro.
- Stuff2GilStuff2GilDined on 8/2/2014About 6 weeks ago we had one of the best meals we have had in Savannah at "the Grill" so we went back for our 41st wedding anniversary and was not disappointed. Besides the best meal we had in 6 weeks the parking is extremely easy from the Ellis Garage. It was a special evening in Savannah....thank you Sapphire Grill.Special Features:
- The following 931 reviews are from the Sapphire Grill reviews archive.
- Another great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We love Sapphire Grill. Our server (Erin) was efficient, knowledgeable, and personable. Great food, and the chef accommodated a special request for a favorite dish that isn't currently on the menu. We will be back, and we will continue to encourage our guests at the Catherine Ward House Inn to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its reputationgentleartsDined on 7/20/2014Our food and service were superior. The entrees, scallop appetizer, and dessert were all beautifully presented and delicious. The only negative was the high cost of drinks and wine. We'll go back for the food, but when cocktails or a glass of wine hover in the mid teens, it starts to feel like a rip off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rebdarDined on 7/13/2014Good food with excellent service made for a perfect combination. Nice wine selection as well.Special Features:
- Two times a charmKsew68Dined on 7/10/2014I went to Sapphire Grill five years ago on a recommendation from a local friend. We were visiting for my husbands birthday. It was a fabulous meal and I had the best grey goose martini I have ever had. All that being said, I was excited to try it again. My girlfriend and I do a girls weekend every year and we always try to go somewhere nice. Sapphire Grill again did not disappoint. The martini were still just as great, the service was warm and friendly. Not stuffy at all and the food was amazing. My BFF had the duck breast which tasted like steak. Tender not oily and a huge portion. We ordered the berry cobbler for dessert with lemon gelato. Divine! Great evening out. Only downfall of SG is that the tables are too close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great specialty dishesJLowDined on 6/30/2014Perfectly done duck. I've never thought you could achieve the level of crispiness of the carmelized fat yet have the meat itself be so lean. Excellent local grouper. Properly done fish! Attentive service, extensive wine list, a bit pricy but worth it for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savannah DiningJudyLDined on 6/30/2014Located right next door to Paula Dean's, Saphire Grille was recommended by several locals for a "great dining experience." We were seated on the main level of the restaurant-found out later that there was another, nicer dining room.Interesting and diversified menu. The waiter was efficient, but not overly helpful.The foie gras was served with an onion gelato (sounds weird, but really delicious. The bone marrow appetizer -also different and delicious. Steak with Kobe oxtail /juicy,flavorful as was the grouper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak everDiver55VIPDined on 6/27/2014I had the filet with soy sauce on side. Amazing. They buy the soy sauce then spice it up. Steak cook perfect melt in your mouth. My son who is a bit more daring had the steak tartar for an appitezzer and love it. He had a pasta dish with oxtail brisket and shrimp again amazing. My wife had a chicken dish very flavorful. Our waitress was attentive and knowledgable. We go to savannah a lot and look for new places to fine. sapphire was recommended to my son so we tried it. We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGibsonPartyDined on 6/26/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Sapphire Grill. The food is outstanding and the service is too. We enjoy dining here for special nights out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hypeTravelerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Service was much like you'd expect in Paris - the waitress was helpful but not available. The lavender vinaigrette on the salad was pure vinegar. I thought,"If I eat the whole salad, I'll have blisters in my mouth." They did take it off the bill. The chicken main was good. The signature grouper dish was great. The best was the berry cobbler with myer lemon ice cream, and the flourless chocolate cake was good, too. Overall, okay, but with so many other great dining options in Savannah, Sapphire Grill will be a "been there, done that" for me....
- What a great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014I picked this restaurant based on reviews and the type of cuisine they offered. I had never been to Savannah before so it was a gamble. I have to say that I did good! This restaurant was fantastic! Food was superb! Not too crowded and very relaxed for the type of food they offer. I started out with a ceasar salad which had a great ceasar dressing and home made croutons. I ordered the Benne encrusted grouper with seasonal veggies, jasmine rice and sweet soy. Absolutely devine! It melts in your mouth! For dessert, I ordered the chocolate torte. Everything I tasted was fabulous!Special Features:
- FrankVIPDined on 6/16/2014The food was very good, bit a bit pricey. I looked at their menu online at several websites, and the prices shown were about 10 percent less than the actual prices in the restaurant. I find this misleading, however the food was good. I still cannot believe that my wife and I had grouper and paid a total of $74.00 for a fish.I would recommend this to a friend.