2701 N Halsted
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saporitrattoria.net/
- Phone: (773) 832-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday Dinner: 4:00pm-10:00pm; Friday-Saturday Dinner: 4:00pm-11:00PM; Sunday Dinner: 3:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Anthony Barbanente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call restaurant for details.
- Entertainment: Live conversation friendly accoustical jazz on Tuesdays
- Special Events: Sapori often does Chef Hosted Wine Dinners...for additional details...see the manager on duty or email us.
- Cross Street: Diversey
- Public Transit: Diversey Brown Line, Fullerton Train stop, Clark St. Bus, Halsted Bus, Diversey Bus. Abundant Cabs at all Hours
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Valet available Friday-Saturday. Complimentary parking Sunday-Thursday in their private lot (The covered Home depot parking lot next door.
A word from Sapori Trattoria
Sapori is a popular neighborhood restaurant featuring an innovative presentation of Italian cuisine at a reasonable price. The restaurant has an intimate warm feel & a friendly helpful staff. The highly visible owner & Italian chef runs Sapori & focus on bringing customers uniquely satisfying dining experiences. Sapori offers an extensive, affordable wine list & a full selection of spirits. ***Reserve your birthday dinner with us & we will send you out a premium dessert for free - it's your birthday!***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sapori Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (164)fit for foodies (124)special occasion (101)romantic (100)good for groups (77)notable wine list (59)great for outdoor dining (53)hot spot (32)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We have been coming to Sapori for many years and have never been disappointed with food & service. one thing to note - it is very noisy, so, ask for a table in the quiter place, if you can find one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant and in a good locationJuliebugDined on 11/22/2014We visit Chicago from time to time (we are from the Indianapolis area). Sometimes we stay downtown or on the Mag Mile but sometimes we stay at the Days Inn on Diversey, which allows us to park our car and walk wherever we want to go. One of the places that we want to is the Kingston Mines blues bar and, before we go, we stop in and have dinner at Saporo. We've been there twice now, both times celebrating my husband's birthday. Both times we had a wonderful evening, good food, very good wait staff, and they always give us a serving of Tiramisu to celebrate. Very nice people, very good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014Our waiter was excellent, the food was great, and the wine was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MattDined on 11/15/2014Amazing service! Food got to the table within 10 minutes of ordering! Love the food! So delicous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceSusanMDined on 11/15/2014I dine at Sappori's every time I visit Chicago. I take my son and his family there and I take my grandchildren there on their birthdays. The service is excellent, as is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Place was so packed when we arrived that we couldn't move. It was clear that they were not honoring reservations, as there was another couple that was still waiting for a table with reservations a half hour earlier. The host was not supplying estimated seating times, probably because he didn't want to tell people with reservations that they would have to wait an hour. We didn't even get seated and left after 20 minutes of waiting past our reservation time.
- energetic, friendly, yummyCatsMomDined on 11/14/2014booked this based on trip advisor reviews and was not disappointed. unimpressive outside but bustling with energy and flavor inside. ordered eggplant parm which was generous and delicious. interesting take on calamari for an appetizer (grilled not fried). a little disappointed not to find a real Italian salad offered but the alternative I ordered was delicious. yummy bread but don't eat too much as dinner portions are very generous. our waiter was friendly, helpful and attentive and allowed us to set the pace (slow) despite the crowd waiting at the door for tables. would visit again on our next trip to chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusaVIPDined on 11/13/2014Good food, large portions. Not gourmet, but this is a friendly restaurant with good service. Veggie lasagna could have been smaller, thicker, and with more vegetables in it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but....OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/13/2014We love this neighborhood restaurant. The food and the service are fantastic. Top marks across the board. HOWEVER, they consistently cancel our open table reservation AFTER we have dined with them saving them the fee to open table and costing us points as well as our rating. I have emailed open table when they have done this with a 50% success rate of them acknowledging the reservation. Next time I will tell the host to sign us in. Once is a possible mistake, but several times it seems like a flaw in their system or it's on purpose. I will take this review down once my last reservation from 11/13/2014 has been confirmed. Other than that, the place really is a great restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the lasagnaNiccDined on 11/8/2014the vegetarian lasagna is amazing. Very large portions. excellent service. salads can be split between two. my favorite italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday GembirthdayfoodieDined on 11/8/2014I had a birthday party with 14 people. We had nearly a private room. The restaurant is deceptively large with many different rooms that you can't see when you walk in. It has a nice ambiance with low lighting. They even printed a special menu for my birthday. My friends and I had never heard of it but all were very impressed with the food, the setting, etc. I would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding All AroundMMMINDDined on 11/8/2014Our party of 9 could not have had a better experience! We were able to get a reservation for 7pm on a Saturday, the service was outstanding, and the food was excellent! Some of the best bread I've ever had and huge, delicious portions for all of the entrees! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!jbattis11Dined on 11/7/2014This was my second time I had the pleasure of eating at Sapori and my experience was just as memorable and enjoyable as the first. After dining about a couple months ago with my boyfriend, I decided to introduce Sapori to some of our closest friends. We were looking for just a nice byob friendly establishment with good Italian food and decided to give Sapori another try. So glad we did! We made our reservation for 830 and when we arrived the place was packed. After being sat it took about 15 min before a manager flagged down a waitress for us. Once she came though the evening went off with out a hitch. She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the dishes. The food was phenomenal and our friends loved the place as much as we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but deliciousEatOutNowVIPDined on 11/7/2014As first timers, we kept asking ourselves why we had never tried Sapori before. The staff and service was equal to the food served. We enjoyed lovely reasonably priced bottles of wine, appetizers and generous portions of would-order-again entrees. Since our reservation was for a weekend night we were surrounded by the pre-theatre crowd trying to get to their show, a birthday party of young women who were not using their "inside voices" and all of the diners around them trying to talk over them, so the noise level was very energetic (full disclosure - our party of 4 was all over 50) our server wisely recommended making 8pm reservation on the weekends to avoid the crowd. Clearly, a much-loved neighborhood spot we highly recommend.Special Features:
- Best Italian FoodJackiDined on 11/7/2014Second time dining here in the Fall. Great pumpkin martinis and the stuffed pumpkin appetizer was sublime. Everything on the menu is wonderful and you cannot make a mistake with any choice.Special Features:
- Excellent neighborhood gemWindellDined on 11/4/2014The service was excellent, the food was perfectly prepared. I would go back again, and recommend this to anyone looking for outstanding food, that is reasonably priced. The service was excellent, we never felt rushed even though the restaurant was full.Special Features:
- SurprisingHungryVIPDined on 11/1/2014Most heard comment during dinner, "I've lived in Chicago my whole life, how come I've never heard of this place? This is my new favorite Italian restaurant".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta HeavenJenn04VIPDined on 10/30/2014I love this place! It's close to my place and I go here as often as possible. All of the pastas are wonderful, the place itself is charming and it's a great bang for your buck. I almost always have leftovers as the portions are very generous. I will be going back again and again.Special Features:
- NCDBHDined on 10/25/2014Our group of eight had a fabulous time at Sapori Trattoria. We were seated on time, the service was fantastic and the food even better. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been here often and it never fails to delight us. It is wonderful that the restaurant is so popular.Special Features:
- Good Service; nice atmosphere2LakeviewDinersDined on 10/25/2014We dined in the newly opened upstairs. It was pleasant, unhurried. The food was delicious. The staff was attentive, but not to the point of being bothersome or annoying. A very nice evening.Special Features:
- Superb Italian neighborhood settingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Great food and service at Sapori. Pastas superb. Allowed to BYOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great trattoria on N. Halsted St.AnneCVIPDined on 10/22/2014Very friendly service - waiter knew his menu and provided good advice. Very tasty food and we enjoyed our evening there. Reasonable prices.Special Features:
- avipVIPDined on 10/22/2014Best in town for Italian home cooking style combined with excellent friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; casual atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014Food and service were superb. It has a casual atmosphere; not a "hole in the wall," but a blend between a cafe and a restaurant. Our waiter was very personable and helpful.Special Features:
- Busy but worth ittopratedVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was our second time at this restaurant. We love the charm of the old building. It is always packed because the service and food are outstanding. It's happy and vibrant and loud, but everything you want when you need to feel like you are in Italy at your favorite trattoria. Don't miss it!Special Features:
- October 18MrFreckDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding restaurant experience. Great service, outstanding food; nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Never had a bad meal here. Quality food that pairs well with their moderately priced wine list. Highly recommend this restaurant, they do whatever possible for you to have a nice dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ItialianMattDined on 10/18/2014The food, ambience, wine et al is all very high quality Itialian!Special Features:
- Always amazingJlevitDined on 10/17/2014I go here regularly, and the food and service are always amazing. They never disappoint! You must try this as I consider this my favorite Italian restaurant hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014Going from all of the reviews and ratings we expected really good food. We were very disappointed in the quality - it was nothing special. They also gave us a form to fill out at end of meal not sure what it was about - felt it was so tacky I did not even look. We would compare this experience to an Olive Garden meal.Special Features:
- Great Second VisitsamjamDined on 10/11/2014We were in Chicago to celebrate a birthday. We ate here last year for the same occasion and decided to repeat the experience. We were very pleased once again. The salads, entrees [seafood pastas], desserts and wines were all excellent. Our server was first-rate - patient and helpful. This may be a new annual tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid neighborhood ItaliannomadVIPDined on 10/11/2014Went night before marathon. Prices seemed high for food and decor, but portions were huge! Friendly but not the most attentive service. Food wasn't particularly creative but was tasty and fresh. Nice option to have in neighborhood.
- Pre-Marathon Carbo LoadChicagoBadgerDined on 10/11/2014I had my parents in town the night before I ran my first marathon, and so (based on reviews online) I picked out Sapori Trattoria. The food was phenomenal. The service was attentive, but not annoying. Overall I had a great experience and will be coming back. Also, the pasta did a great job of getting me through all 26.2 miles!Special Features:
- Carb loading!Calgary1Dined on 10/11/2014We visited Sapori Trattoria the night before the Chicago Marathon to load up on carbs. The waiter was very knowledgable and helpful when it came to the menu and wine list. Our food was unbelievable! The portion sizes were large and my only disappointment was that my stomach wasn't big enough to eat it all! I would definitely revisit this restaurant the next time I'm in Chicago!Special Features:
- PerfectNagaDined on 10/10/2014We are frequent diner at Sapori and the experience is always top notch. Great food and wine to go with amazing service and ambience. Can't beat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/9/2014Be prepared for extremely generous portions and impeccable serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Time!JBChicagoDined on 10/7/2014We had an amazing dinner! A perfect pumpkin appetizer (great for the Fall), and I had ribs. Ribs at an Italian place??? Unheard of! But they were Awesome! So tender! Never had any ribs as delicious!!Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable.NickDined on 10/6/2014Visited Sapori with friends from out of state. It was a wonderful evening. Everything from the food to the service was top notch. We will absolutely be visiting again.Special Features:
- OutstandingShannonmacaroniDined on 10/4/2014We spent our second anniversary dining at Sapori Trattoria and they made it a night to remember! We were led to a lovely private table and given customized menus that said "Happy Anniversary!" Lights in the quiet restaurant were dim, with romantic candles on each table. Our server, Meg, went above and beyond to make our evening special. We started off with the avocado crostinis- delectable! Then we ordered the Penne Cardinale and the capellaci de zucca (pumpkin ravioli). Both were delicious. We were full and opted out of ordering dessert, but Meg brought us a small tiramisu on the house to celebrate our anniversary. We will absolutely be back! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.