1447 Burlingame Ave
Burlingame, CA 94010Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saporeitaliano.org/
- Phone: (650) 348-3277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Angelo Cucco / Mario Di Paola
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private party catering for over 20 people. Call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The culmination of experience, expertise, and passion for fine food has resulted in the warm atmosphere and exceptional service that is Sapore Italiano. Book your party in one of our two private rooms and we'll help you create a dining experience your guests are sure to remember.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 6503483277
- Cross Street: El Camino Real
- Public Transit: Caltrain - Burlingame Station. Head West on Burlingame Ave., restaurant will be on the left side of the street. Next to Walgreens/Safeway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available on Burlingame Ave. and behind the restaurant. Free parking after 6:00 pm.
A word from Sapore Italiano
Since its grand opening in November 2001, Sapore Italiano has been the area leader in authentic Italian cuisine. Known by locals as "Sapore" it provides a unique dining experience for families, friends, couples, and small and large gatherings alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sapore Italiano - Best Restaurants in Burlingame ›
Sapore Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (18)special occasion (16)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (11)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- sanbrunofriendsDined on 11/15/2014Nice atmosphere, good tasty food, and close to home. Our server was very attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian RestaurantFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014My company was looking for several restaurants to have dinner with a small group and we found this one and we were blown away with the food and service, we will be back for more!Special Features:
- A taste of ItalyEatburlingameDined on 11/7/2014We loved this restaurant. The owners are gracious and warm, and make you feel like family. It's a true neighborhood spot where you'll eat well and run into plenty of friends.Special Features:
- Could be better.SurfinFanaticDined on 10/23/2014I had heard good things about this restaurant and was excited about eating there. To sum it up I found it average. I had a veal chop ordered medium but was a but undercooked and was served with a roasted potato. I guess a little too simple in the preparation. The carpaccio appetizer was excellent. Service was very slow. Seemed pretty busy for a Thursday but with ample staff. When other patrons arriving after you are served before I get annoyed. Is this wrong? I suspect our waiter forgot to put our order in and later learned of his mistake and the veal chop preparation was rushed. The place has potential if they tended a little better to details. Great location in downtown Burlingame.Special Features:
- Hit the spot for Italian!FloridaGirl2Dined on 10/22/2014I met up with an old friend, and we enjoyed the atmosphere. The server was very patient as we were catching up. Food was outstanding and I thought reasonable priced for the portion and taste. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunshineDined on 10/21/2014Food is consistently good here and I find the portions just right. Drinks made well. Our server last night was delightful. Always feel comfortable and welcome at this restaurant. Only problem is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UpstairsventicelloDined on 10/15/2014the Special Sole of the night was very plain, which can be good, there was not much flavor and the portions were small. If I were and average or bigger eater I would have been hungry. Which might be the point, there was room for dessert....
- Great home cooked Italian foodFoodiePlusDined on 10/9/2014Warm hospitality, and excellent home cooked food. I will return and tell our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard ItalianPAmarcoDined on 10/7/2014Menu had standard fare mostly, though not as many entrees as I would have expected. Appetizer fried calamari was exceptional! Pasta and risotto dishes were prepared to a good standard. Desserts were ok, not great - the cannoli were a bit odd, being the diameter of a narrow tubular cookie. Wine selections were ok in variety and pricing. Ambiance was quite loud, not conducive to private conversations.
- Great goodTopfeasterVIPDined on 9/11/2014We have been going to Spore for over 10 years. We enjoy the great service and the food. It is always a pleasure to be there as we are treated like family. Massimo has waited on us most of the time and we feel very much at home. Best place in Burlingame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a wonderful meal that was planned at the last moment. Our server (Tony) was exceptional. He was there when we needed him, but he didn't hover. We have been going to Sapore for over ten years and have never been diappointed.Special Features:
- fun birthday dinnerluvvansVIPDined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed a fun birthday dinner with great salads & pastas. Oscar, our waiter, was wonderful. So friendly & efficient.Special Features:
- Great food and service!TatuDined on 8/22/2014I went to Sapore Italiano for a dinner. Made reservations on OpenTable and got a table downstairs for 7, as requested. My party took some minutes to find a parking space (it IS an issue in Burlingame, depending on the time) and I apologized. The waitress had a big smile: "I am not in a rush", she said. The place was packed, but the atmosphere was really good. Food is awesome!Special Features:
- Foods are goodRabbitLDined on 8/16/2014Great Italian food. The waiter is very nice and professional. Overall the restaurant is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBearDined on 8/9/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday and it was a perfect choice! The food was delicious! There were many things on the menu that we wanted to try so we'll be going back to this restaurant soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK mealNottoofussyDined on 8/3/2014We were looking for a moderate priced good Italian place, where we could have a simple pasta dinner. I had the spaghetti with clams, which was unremarkable, except for having a lot of red pepper in it, which overwhelmed everything else. My wife had a dish of various grilled vegetables wrapped in a sheet of pasta, and covered with a tomato cream sauce, which was pretty good. I would not go out of my way to return, and it was a bit more expensive than deserved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it - will returnWineGalDined on 8/2/2014Great food and service. Nice spot in downtown Burlingame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great callimarifoodie101Dined on 7/30/2014Booked reservations half an hour before we sat down to eat so was pleasantly surprised. Seating was near the bar and a bit squeezed in with bench seats on one side and a chair on the other. Service was quick and for a weeknight crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Delicious. Far exceeded my expectations. They have gluten free pasta!!Special Features:
- The following 367 reviews are from the Sapore Italiano reviews archive.
- Decent vegetarian optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Pretty good options for vegetarians. The basic marinara+pasta was pretty flavorful. The special took some time be prepared but it was good and was a large portion.Special Features:
- Pleasant, but pricyDateNightVIPDined on 7/23/2014Tasty food and a pleasant atmosphere make Spore Italian a nice place to dine. Situated in downtown Burlingame, this is a small, quaint restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taster's ChoiceTastersChoiceDined on 7/20/2014The tiramisu was delicious, the cake layers were light and moist. Can't say that the service was exceptional or friendly. Location is very fun, however! Burlingame Ave is like a little Santana Row; the shops feel new and fresh.
- Great Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Excellent pasta. Service was very good. I'm usually picky and difficult to please, and I really enjoyed our meal here.Special Features:
- Chef knows how to poach salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Many restaurants over cook salmon. When I ordered I asked to have the salmon poached and it turned out great. Just right, not over done. Enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great homemade pastasPeteDined on 7/12/2014First time there and the pasta's GREAT. Calamari fritti good. Sauce of the rock shrimp pasta is very fresh and light. Server is friendly. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Great Italian food in BurlingameChrisKDined on 7/11/2014My wife and I recently celebrated my birthday at Sapore Italiano. My wife, in particular, appreciates that the restaurant offers great-tasting, gluten-free pasta provided with any sauce available for the other pasta entrees. My favorite is the gnocchi with gorgonzola. The gnocchi are made fresh and you can clearly taste the difference. The owner knew it was my birthday during this most recent visit, and brought out a complementary serving of tiramisu. There is an upstairs dining area that we actually prefer because it is quieter and there is a bit more space than downstairs. When we go to Burlingame, this restaurant is our first choice for Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delizioso!!!TimetoEatVIPDined on 7/1/2014I picked this from Yelp for a family dinner after returning from Mexico. It was perfect. The service was great. The food was amazing. Everyone was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ItaliansfdinerDined on 6/30/2014Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. The fresh homemade pasta has me craving for more.. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- The Place to GoBest4meDined on 6/26/2014Sapore has wonderful Italian food. If you're looking for something special or just a good Italian meal - This is the place to go. The pastas are delicious, and so are the meat and fish dishes. The wine list has every type wine that you can imagine! All good!Special Features:
- Good and badDrSeussDined on 6/21/2014I think that the food here is really good. I had the Pesto Gnocci and is was great! I also tried Fettuccini Alfredo with Shrimp and that was great as well. The service here is a toss up. The first time that I went here, it was good. This past visit was terrible! When our food came out, 2 of the 7 dishes that we ordered were completely wrong. The waiter was nice enough to compensate by giving us free dessert, but what he should have done was comped the 2 incorrect dishes. When we got the change from our check, he said that they were 75 cents short and asked if that was okay. Ridiculous! Then, he tried to grab the tip that we left in the check holder right away. He probably knew that we were going to leave him a terrible tip,which we did.Special Features:
- Will not returnSushiblackVIPDined on 6/21/2014Service was extremely slow, 15 minutes after placing cocktail orders we still didn't have our drinks. We went to the bar and ordered. Our server was nice, but slow. We had to ask for tableware twice before receiving it, and the table linen had red pasta stains on it. The food was mediocre , and the portions small. The one plus for the evening is that they didn't charge us a corkage fee for our wine. We will not be going back.
- Best Italian FoodTopfeasterVIPDined on 6/15/2014Their Vongole and Lasagna are the best tasting dishes for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/7/2014Love the free olive oil with sundried tomato bread dipping sauce! It's our second time dining here as a group of 5. Flavor is the same as last visit, but portion size this time around was a bit inconsistent. I ordered the clam linguine both times, but I got just half the clams this time. Two people ordered the same type of pasta, and one came with more pasta. Another two friends ordered some tomato sauce based pasta... one with more sauce, the other with barely any sauce.Special Features:
- Open red wine servedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014Tasted poor. I did not comment. I might reconsider a third visit to this establishment. Pasta was excellent.Special Features:
- A Great Find on Burlingame Ave.nhs55VIPDined on 5/16/2014The construction on Burlingame Ave. notwithstanding, one can enter this great restaurant either from Burlingame Ave. or from the rear near Walgreen's and next to Wells Fargo Bank. The food is consistently well, well above par, and is priced reasonably. The service is very cultured. The desserts are fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!FanofGoodFoodDined on 5/14/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants! The food is always hot and tasty. We usually come for dinner, the salads are delicious and come in generous portions, my favorite pasta has tomato cream sauce. Another favorite is the pasta Rustica. I have also had the prawns, very yummy! The acoustics make the space a little loud at times, but I have not had problems hearing conversations at my table. The servers are friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service: bad foodWalterVIPDined on 5/13/2014Very disappointed with the experience. Service was mediocre even excluding the fact that they tried to bring us someone else's order once and sent our order to another table and then did not correct the error. My food was a disaster as the grilled fish I ordered still had was not scaled or de-boned. Quite embarrassing trying to pick out scales and bones out of your mouth during a business dinner. The side of nearly raw vegetables was also nothing to write home about.
- the-Come-Back Placeninav364VIPDined on 5/11/2014we were very impressed how well they handle the crowd on the Mother's Day evening! calamari app. was the best we ever had - generous portion, not much brad crumbs, not over fried. Chicken looked and tasted very juicy and Delicious, pizza had plenty of ham, duck breast was well prepared and presented. Ceasar salad - well balanced and big enough to share. Service was attentive and timely. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got right in on a Sat night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Considering we got there so late, we were happy to grab a table last minute. The food was good and fresh, but our waiter was nothing to write home about. We kept having to flag him down and actually had to stand up to catch his attention in order to get our final bill. Frustrating. I would've given more stars for overall rating if the service was better.Special Features:
- YummySandieDined on 5/1/2014I have been to events where food from this restaurant was catered, so I wanted to go there and try it in person. It was delicious. The owner recognized me, I met him at a couple of the events, gave us an beautiful appetizer and didn't charge us corkage on 2 bottles of wine. Highly recommend ... service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.