428 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saporcafe.com/
- Phone: 6123751971x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5-9pm, Friday-Saturday 5-10pm
Bar Happy Hour Monday-Thursday 4-6:30pm (walk-ins only)
Bar Late Night Thursday 9-10pm, Friday-Saturday 10-11pm (walk-ins only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tanya Siebenaler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-Private Seating in Cafe for parties up to 40 guests, Cafe Buyout for parties up to 80 guests and Cafe & Bar Buyout for parties up to 120 guests seated or 200 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Steenerson 612-375-1971x
- Special Events: Join our email list for weekly news about menu features and special events - email email@example.com .
A word from Sapor Cafe
SAPOR means flavor. We look for indigenous flavors and ethnic cuisines found in villages and barrios around the world. We draw our inspiration from cooks who use ingredients and spices that are native to their cultures so that we can bring something from their neighborhoods to ours, the North Loop. And what we've learned over the past 13 years is that it's more than the spice or meal that is on the table, it's the conversation that goes with it.Continued
Enjoy! Julie Steenerson, Owner & Tanya Siebenaler, Owner/Chef
Enjoy! Julie Steenerson, Owner & Tanya Siebenaler, Owner/Chef
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sapor Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Sapor Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (31)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (18)good for groups (16)special occasion (14)great for lunch (9)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Can't wait to go back.WallyDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I ate there Thursday night for the first time. The building is very nice, the staff very courteous. They made us feel welcome. The food was different and very good for the price. The wine was good. Dessert was fantastic. It was a great choice for date night. We're going back in a couple weeks. Try the onion rings...Special Features:
- AfromBlaineDined on 8/22/2014Always great, never disappoints. Easy access for out of town friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoyableTXtwinDined on 8/12/2014more little sandwiches than on past menus---the bourbon barbecue pulled pork was delightful. the vegetarian at our table had more choices than in any other restaurant we've been to in the past two months. I loved my cobb BLT salad and I would have taken the avocado pieces from the person who must not have read the details. Dry pinot noir rose' and the raspberry manhattan showed me that Sapor has one of the most interesting bars around. Just an all around hit for us, plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Very unusual and creative twists on old favorites...altogether a very excellent dinner. Reasonable prices, too. We would go back again!Special Features:
- Does not disappointPortiaDined on 7/23/2014Returning again, and being surprised and pleased again! Creative dishes combine disparate ingredients and make them all sing together, some softly, some loudly, some just making a brief appearance. Delicious and exciting!Special Features:
- So InnovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014Sapor never ceases to please. From creative cocktails to an ingenious menu, we are always pleasantly surprised. Particularly enjoyed the Banh Xeo and the Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Ice Cream...truly amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Options, Excellent ValueDine123Dined on 7/1/2014I haven't been to Sapor for years, but had good memories, so I met a friend for dinner there on a recent Tuesday night. The menu was creative to appeal to foodies, but included many standards as well. I had a vegetarian special, which was perfectly executed. The wait staff was friendly and helpful and the Washington Ave location convenient for after work get togethers. Free parking after 6 p.m. Overall excellent, good value dinner option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingProfoundlyDisappointedDined on 6/28/2014Went to celebrate our second anniversary. First occasion was a wonderful dining experience in a romantic setting. On this, our second attempt, however, we couldn't have been more disappointed. Service was terrific, our occasion acknowledged and table we had on our first date offered again. We're foodies and adventurous but the two nightly "specials" were bizarre. Then, when the menu arrived, it had only 3 equally unappealing offerings but half of the front and the entire back of the menu was covered with drink offerings. Even trying to find an appetizer to "save" the occasion we were left with few and unappealing offerings. Lovely spot but, apparently, they've forgotten that people go to a restaurant to eat not just drink.Special Features:
- EnchantedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014From the greeting to the wine to the appetizers to the dinner. Enchantingly delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sapor has the best worst location..thankyouforthisfoodamenDined on 5/27/2014If you're looking for a diamond in the rough with foodie, but not overly complex, creations of your families favorites it is def worth a try. Knowledgeable waitstaff, nice decor, patio seating and a list of crafted cocktails-just as impressive as the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!NomNomDined on 5/23/2014Love this restaurant, food is exceptional, service is exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 488 reviews are from the Sapor Cafe reviews archive.
- Great food but dull atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014A small menu but great food overall. We had the spicy fries, tamale special appetizer, crepe lasagna, juicy lucy veg burger, and regular burger. The food was very sophisticated and "fit for foodies". The atmosphere was a dud... they were playing oldies music when we got there which doesn't fit the type of food being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice. Limited menu.JADKVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a delightful dinner at Sapor Cafe this past weekend. It was recommended by a neighboring business owner and had good reviews on Open Table. Given the positive endorsements, I was surprised at the fairly limited menu options, especially since I don't consider sandwiches to be dinner items. Everything we ordered was quite good as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceromeoramdevDined on 5/3/2014Booked a last minute very large group and they were accommodating from start to finish. Food was great and the service even better. They did a great job managing the 16 of us and loved the cocktails! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Nightluv2dineDined on 5/3/2014The love of my life took me here to celebrate my birthday. The atmosphere was perfect for talking and enjoying each others company. The food was outstanding. Very good flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing FlavorsLoveItDined on 5/3/2014Between the 8 of us dining, we tried so many items from their menu. All were so delicious - many were items we've had before and just had to order them again! Their wine and beer list has many great choices - but it's also fun to try one of the many fun cocktails Topher likes to create - I had a mint julep to celebrate the Kentucky Derby - really nice. Many of us had to try the various flavors of ice cream - all delicious!Special Features:
- Warm & friendly on a dark & dreary.JaneMackDined on 4/26/2014We had not been to Sapor for several years, not sure why.... We had made a reservation for a Saturday night after a concert and it was not too crowded. They were out of the lamb special which both of our mouths had been excited for. The menu is limited, in fact, we noticed that there are more cocktail choices than food choices on the menu. My husband had a beet pizza which he enjoyed very much eventho he doesn't like beets!! I had the snapper which was good but served on the cool side - cold by the time I got to the last bites. We would go again.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in TowneatingoutDined on 4/18/2014Sapor is our favorite restaurant. The food is outstanding and service is great.Special Features:
- Sapor doesn't disappointPortiaDined on 4/18/2014Eager to return after discovering this gem, I had another delicious meal of creatively conceived and wonderfully prepared food. I intend to become a regular. The menu is small, but every dish I have had is full of wonderful combinations of flavors and textures.Special Features:
- Great Food and fun placePatCDined on 4/12/2014The food was definitely foodie in a more casual atmosphere than fine dining - one of us had their take on a "juicy Lucy" - delicious burger with black beans. My Crepe Lasagna was wonderful - tasty with elements of both lasagna and crepe. Pancetta burgers were also good. Service was good but the timing was maybe just a little slow.Special Features:
- Interesting Food & Nice Drink MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2014We are restaurant regulars, but our first time at Sapor. The food was excellent. Lots of flavor and very fresh. The beet pizza and Parisian rouge were my favorites. It was very quiet for a Friday evening but this was post snow storm in April. All and all, we'll be back to try more menu items!Special Features:
- Everyone loved it!Hard2ImpressDined on 3/29/2014We were a party of six - and to a person we loved the experience.The menu had something for everyone. Even reading the menu was a treat (kudos to the creative writer). This is only my second time at Sapor and both times the food has been superb and the service outstanding. This is one of the few restaurants where the wait staff doesn't interrupt you mid-sentence to take orders or check on your meals. Wish other restaurants would train their servers on that courtesy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sapor's never disappointsPurrlDined on 3/24/2014Sapor's never disappoints with unique takes on what could be "same old same old". Servers welcome like you're an old friend, whether a first-time guest or regular. Dining room is lovely and especially early on a weeknight, generally quiet, which is much-appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't a fan of the pasta.FunnyguyDined on 3/14/2014Wasn't a fan of the pasta. Fries were great as we're the beverages.
- Special BirthdayKuusDined on 3/12/2014My wife turned 65 and retired from a professional career. I wanted us to celebrate quietly (I'm the cook at home) with good food and a quiet conversation. We had both, plus close attention from the staff. We'd never been to Sapor, but it's only 10 minutes from our Golden Valley home, and I'd seen it listed as a romantic spot for dinner. It was perfect, and we'll be back even without the need for a birthday dessert - which was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and comfortableLukeDined on 3/1/2014We were delighted with our experience. The food was delicious, drinks divine -- in particular the Crystal Mary. Wow! We enjoyed a range of dishes - lamb sausage, salmon and black bean Juicy Lucy. All were very good. The salmon was the stand-out of the evening. The molten chocolate dessert was over the top and, as always, the small chocolate bites with the bill make the evening always seem worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and unique menu!FoodForJohnDined on 2/26/2014This restaurant was really great. The menu combinations are unique (beet pizza), the serving sizes were just right. The decor' was interesting and fun. The staff was superb. I would highly recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic with AmbienceHungryGrannyVIPDined on 2/22/2014The service was phenomenal. The food was very good, not a ton of selection though. The atmosphere was dark and romantic. The seats were close enough together where we could hear the conversation of the table next to us. There seemed to be a group of 8 seated nearby; that's why I said good for groups. When I didn't care for my wine, the waitress offered to let me choose another, which was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, but left hungry.....IHeartFoodDined on 2/21/2014Joelle was our server and she was great! She was very attentive and got us in and out in a timely manner so we could attend a show. The menu food menu itself is very limited and I think it'd be beneficial for them to expand it a little further. We had the Cavatelli which was superb, however the portion size is rather small, When it comes to the "small plate" portion of the menu, they mean was they say. We ordered the BBQ Pork Pizza which was tasty, but the portion size was suitable for a "kid's menu." I really want to like Sapor, and I think I could if they increased their food portions and expanded the menu. But again, our server Joelle and the hostess (unsure of her name) were awesome!Special Features:
- Nice eveningcasualdinerDined on 2/15/2014Pleasantly surprised- had heard good things...very true. Menu limited, but what is there was wonderful- portion size was just right. Service was great; quiet enough to have a conversation without shouting. Very nice evening. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was wonderful: tofuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2014The food was wonderful: tofu brioche and brussel sprout leaves. And the lovely ginger creme caramel! Our server Beth was very attentive and friendly. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014Had dinner at Sapor before heading to the orchestra. The food was good and the service was excellent. Will definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Ok food, horrible management!jakeDined on 2/14/2014Valentines day dinner special. They were out of most of there special menu options. Wound up being forced to order something I didn't want. Very very rushed. 120 dollar rip off. one of my worst dining experiences. I promise to tell all me friends. Thanks.
- nicepop799Dined on 2/14/2014went for a Valentine's Day special! service was great, the food was amazing & the wine was good. I would recommend eating here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed a special 3 course Valentine's Day dinner. The restaurant was busy, yet the atmosphere was relaxed and quite romantic. The food and service were both outstanding. Sapor cafe is a gem in the North Loop area of Minneapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-rated for Valentine's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2014This was my first time dining at Sapor, and I was excited to try their tasting menu for Valentine's Day. My husband and I were disappointed in the quality of food for the $45 each price point. We will still try Sapor again for their regular menu, but definitely not worth it for a special dinner.
- Valentines menu was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014The three course menu was great and offered a wide variety of choices. The service was awesome and everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made me look good on Valentines DayLudo11Dined on 2/14/2014I booked a reservation here for Valentines Day. They had a nice fixed price menu... we each got different items for each course and shared, and were both pleased with everything. Neither of us are typically adventurous eaters, but enjoyed many items even though (a) we did not know what all the ingredients were or (b) they are not something we would typically order (e.g. tofu beignets). In addition to the good food, the ambiance was quiet and romantic... but what we appreciated the most was our server. In addition to having a great smile, she was very knowledgable and helpful with her explanations and recommendations. She was helpful, but never rushed us. All told, it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark and mysterious.. and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Went here with a buddy just looking for some good food before an event and got a little more than we expected. It's a bit of an intimate atmosphere, but we didn't mind. Got some house cocktails which were on the spendier side, but good. The pancetta burger was to die for. Highly recommended. I will probably go back just because of the food, slightly-romantic-ambiance be damned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local hot spotwild4mnplsDined on 2/7/2014Great meal; sat in the back which was quieter than previous trips. As always, friendly greeting (from the owner!) and attentive wait staff. Really enjoy this restaurant AND has free parking, a plus for where it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.