428 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saporcafe.com/
- Phone: (612) 375-1971
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5-9pm, Friday-Saturday 5-10pm
Bar Happy Hour Monday-Thursday 4-6:30pm (walk-ins only)
Bar Late Night Thursday 9-10pm, Friday-Saturday 10-11pm (walk-ins only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tanya Siebenaler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-Private Seating in Cafe for parties up to 40 guests, Cafe Buyout for parties up to 80 guests and Cafe & Bar Buyout for parties up to 120 guests seated or 200 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Julie Steenerson 612-375-1971x
- Special Events: Join our email list for weekly news about menu features and special events - email firstname.lastname@example.org .
A word from Sapor Cafe
SAPOR means flavor. We look for indigenous flavors and ethnic cuisines found in villages and barrios around the world. We draw our inspiration from cooks who use ingredients and spices that are native to their cultures so that we can bring something from their neighborhoods to ours, the North Loop. And what we've learned over the past 13 years is that it's more than the spice or meal that is on the table, it's the conversation that goes with it.Continued
Enjoy! Julie Steenerson, Owner & Tanya Siebenaler, Owner/Chef
Enjoy! Julie Steenerson, Owner & Tanya Siebenaler, Owner/Chef
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sapor Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Sapor Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (22)romantic (21)good for groups (15)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Very relaxed place with great service.AllisonDined on 11/15/2014Very relaxed place with great service. The panchetta burger was very good along with the mac and cheese. Would have liked whole/halved brussel sprouts instead of loose leaves but the flavor was great. Their Flourless chocolate cake was amazing! Was rich but didn't have as much density as your typical flourless cake, very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the BBQ!svenskatjejVIPDined on 11/7/2014We arrived in time to enjoy the burnt ends special along with a chicken dish. Also ordered the special Cosmo from the bar. Thanks for a delicious night out in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurant....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant, we felt welcomed as special guests. The service was excellent and each item we ordered was superb. The waitress was very knowledgable about the offerings and made several suggestions when asked. She brought a sample of the soup for our tasting and a sample of one of the beers which my husband selected. It was easy to have a conversation as the noise level was contained...energized, but not overly loud or distracting. Smoked shrimp appetizer was great, as was the potato leek soup and beetza pizza. Loved the almond cake dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoritewineluvrDined on 10/24/2014Each time we come to Sapor, the menu has new interesting items, mixed in with a few old favorites. And the service is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad -nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Our fault for not doing our homework and checking out the menu in advance. We were disappointed in our options. We had thought Sapor leaned more toward haute cuisine. Nonetheless, what we ordered was well prepared and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good placeAlexanderVIPDined on 10/13/2014It is NOT a typical BBQ place. The portions are SMALL and the food is quite sophisticated though (thank god) SIMPLE. The menu selection is however quite limited, but their day special was just superb.Special Features:
- Good....JJHHDined on 10/11/2014It wasn't what I expected based on the reviews I'd read. There really wasn't a "view" of Minneapolis but it may have been where we were seated. It was loud so didn't have a romantic feel from that perspective, but the lighting was romantic. It's not a crowded place which was nice. The BBQ was okay, but would like to visit when that phase is over. Free, easy parking is a big plus. Wait staff was awesome - really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sapor CafekfeldmaniacDined on 10/9/2014We have been celebrating our anniversary at Sapor Cafe almost every year since we discovered it. They have a unique world menu with delicious, artfully created dishes that always delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little better than okgordonDined on 10/3/2014I don't want to dump on this place because I really did like a lot of what was there. Our appetizers were good, the service was good, the entrees were just ok. They are currently doing a barbeque theme and maybe that is what isn't working. I had the brisket which was fatty and lacking in flavor. My dining companions both had the catfish. I didn't try it but I could smell it when the plates arrived. They didn't say anything but fish should never smell fishy. I'm not saying don't go here, it is a very cool room, nice people! But I will wait until they change the menu before I return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014First time to this restaurant, and we will be back. Great food and service. Ambiance is wonderful, chairs are so comfortable.Special Features:
- Still a FavPJQuiltMavenDined on 10/1/2014I still love Sapor Café, however, I was a little disappointed with their recent menu changes. I always look forward to lamb, steak option and a fresh fish option, but they were not available this time. Hopefully they will go back to their old menu when the BBQ phase is over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding PartyToddVIPDined on 9/26/2014The Crystal Mary may be the best cocktail Ive ever had. The food was ok but nothing special. We were seated outside where there was a boisterous wedding reception going on which hindered our conversation. Good place for after work cocktails.Special Features:
- Our favorite!wineluvrDined on 9/16/2014Sapor has become our "go to" spot in North Loop. The ambience is great, if you prefer to not be bombarded with acoustic overload from other diners, annoying music, etc… A simply lovely, relaxing spot. Food is innovative. Wine list is not lengthy, but well selected and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Service, Great FoodVerdantLauraDined on 9/11/2014I took my boyfriend to Sapor for a intimate, relaxing dinner, and the staff went out of their way to make this happen. They made sure that we got a quiet table, were very attentive without being intrusive, and even brought a vase out for the flowers I had brought as a gift for him. Both of our meals were excellent, and the house-made ginger ale made for one of the best cocktails I've had in a very long time. Definitely a great spot for taking someone special.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back.WallyDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I ate there Thursday night for the first time. The building is very nice, the staff very courteous. They made us feel welcome. The food was different and very good for the price. The wine was good. Dessert was fantastic. It was a great choice for date night. We're going back in a couple weeks. Try the onion rings...Special Features:
- AfromBlaineDined on 8/22/2014Always great, never disappoints. Easy access for out of town friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoyableTXtwinDined on 8/12/2014more little sandwiches than on past menus---the bourbon barbecue pulled pork was delightful. the vegetarian at our table had more choices than in any other restaurant we've been to in the past two months. I loved my cobb BLT salad and I would have taken the avocado pieces from the person who must not have read the details. Dry pinot noir rose' and the raspberry manhattan showed me that Sapor has one of the most interesting bars around. Just an all around hit for us, plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Very unusual and creative twists on old favorites...altogether a very excellent dinner. Reasonable prices, too. We would go back again!Special Features:
- The following 495 reviews are from the Sapor Cafe reviews archive.
- Does not disappointPortiaDined on 7/23/2014Returning again, and being surprised and pleased again! Creative dishes combine disparate ingredients and make them all sing together, some softly, some loudly, some just making a brief appearance. Delicious and exciting!Special Features:
- So InnovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014Sapor never ceases to please. From creative cocktails to an ingenious menu, we are always pleasantly surprised. Particularly enjoyed the Banh Xeo and the Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Ice Cream...truly amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Options, Excellent ValueDine123Dined on 7/1/2014I haven't been to Sapor for years, but had good memories, so I met a friend for dinner there on a recent Tuesday night. The menu was creative to appeal to foodies, but included many standards as well. I had a vegetarian special, which was perfectly executed. The wait staff was friendly and helpful and the Washington Ave location convenient for after work get togethers. Free parking after 6 p.m. Overall excellent, good value dinner option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingProfoundlyDisappointedDined on 6/28/2014Went to celebrate our second anniversary. First occasion was a wonderful dining experience in a romantic setting. On this, our second attempt, however, we couldn't have been more disappointed. Service was terrific, our occasion acknowledged and table we had on our first date offered again. We're foodies and adventurous but the two nightly "specials" were bizarre. Then, when the menu arrived, it had only 3 equally unappealing offerings but half of the front and the entire back of the menu was covered with drink offerings. Even trying to find an appetizer to "save" the occasion we were left with few and unappealing offerings. Lovely spot but, apparently, they've forgotten that people go to a restaurant to eat not just drink.Special Features:
- EnchantedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014From the greeting to the wine to the appetizers to the dinner. Enchantingly delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sapor has the best worst location..thankyouforthisfoodamenDined on 5/27/2014If you're looking for a diamond in the rough with foodie, but not overly complex, creations of your families favorites it is def worth a try. Knowledgeable waitstaff, nice decor, patio seating and a list of crafted cocktails-just as impressive as the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!NomNomDined on 5/23/2014Love this restaurant, food is exceptional, service is exceptional!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but dull atmosphereAliMplsDined on 5/17/2014A small menu but great food overall. We had the spicy fries, tamale special appetizer, crepe lasagna, juicy lucy veg burger, and regular burger. The food was very sophisticated and "fit for foodies". The atmosphere was a dud... they were playing oldies music when we got there which doesn't fit the type of food being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice. Limited menu.JADKVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a delightful dinner at Sapor Cafe this past weekend. It was recommended by a neighboring business owner and had good reviews on Open Table. Given the positive endorsements, I was surprised at the fairly limited menu options, especially since I don't consider sandwiches to be dinner items. Everything we ordered was quite good as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceromeoramdevDined on 5/3/2014Booked a last minute very large group and they were accommodating from start to finish. Food was great and the service even better. They did a great job managing the 16 of us and loved the cocktails! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Nightluv2dineDined on 5/3/2014The love of my life took me here to celebrate my birthday. The atmosphere was perfect for talking and enjoying each others company. The food was outstanding. Very good flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing FlavorsLoveItDined on 5/3/2014Between the 8 of us dining, we tried so many items from their menu. All were so delicious - many were items we've had before and just had to order them again! Their wine and beer list has many great choices - but it's also fun to try one of the many fun cocktails Topher likes to create - I had a mint julep to celebrate the Kentucky Derby - really nice. Many of us had to try the various flavors of ice cream - all delicious!Special Features:
- Warm & friendly on a dark & dreary.JaneMackDined on 4/26/2014We had not been to Sapor for several years, not sure why.... We had made a reservation for a Saturday night after a concert and it was not too crowded. They were out of the lamb special which both of our mouths had been excited for. The menu is limited, in fact, we noticed that there are more cocktail choices than food choices on the menu. My husband had a beet pizza which he enjoyed very much eventho he doesn't like beets!! I had the snapper which was good but served on the cool side - cold by the time I got to the last bites. We would go again.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in TowneatingoutDined on 4/18/2014Sapor is our favorite restaurant. The food is outstanding and service is great.Special Features:
- Sapor doesn't disappointPortiaDined on 4/18/2014Eager to return after discovering this gem, I had another delicious meal of creatively conceived and wonderfully prepared food. I intend to become a regular. The menu is small, but every dish I have had is full of wonderful combinations of flavors and textures.Special Features:
- Great Food and fun placePatCDined on 4/12/2014The food was definitely foodie in a more casual atmosphere than fine dining - one of us had their take on a "juicy Lucy" - delicious burger with black beans. My Crepe Lasagna was wonderful - tasty with elements of both lasagna and crepe. Pancetta burgers were also good. Service was good but the timing was maybe just a little slow.Special Features:
- Interesting Food & Nice Drink MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/4/2014We are restaurant regulars, but our first time at Sapor. The food was excellent. Lots of flavor and very fresh. The beet pizza and Parisian rouge were my favorites. It was very quiet for a Friday evening but this was post snow storm in April. All and all, we'll be back to try more menu items!Special Features:
- Everyone loved it!Hard2ImpressDined on 3/29/2014We were a party of six - and to a person we loved the experience.The menu had something for everyone. Even reading the menu was a treat (kudos to the creative writer). This is only my second time at Sapor and both times the food has been superb and the service outstanding. This is one of the few restaurants where the wait staff doesn't interrupt you mid-sentence to take orders or check on your meals. Wish other restaurants would train their servers on that courtesy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sapor's never disappointsPurrlDined on 3/24/2014Sapor's never disappoints with unique takes on what could be "same old same old". Servers welcome like you're an old friend, whether a first-time guest or regular. Dining room is lovely and especially early on a weeknight, generally quiet, which is much-appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't a fan of the pasta.FunnyguyDined on 3/14/2014Wasn't a fan of the pasta. Fries were great as we're the beverages.
- Special BirthdayKuusDined on 3/12/2014My wife turned 65 and retired from a professional career. I wanted us to celebrate quietly (I'm the cook at home) with good food and a quiet conversation. We had both, plus close attention from the staff. We'd never been to Sapor, but it's only 10 minutes from our Golden Valley home, and I'd seen it listed as a romantic spot for dinner. It was perfect, and we'll be back even without the need for a birthday dessert - which was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and comfortableLukeDined on 3/1/2014We were delighted with our experience. The food was delicious, drinks divine -- in particular the Crystal Mary. Wow! We enjoyed a range of dishes - lamb sausage, salmon and black bean Juicy Lucy. All were very good. The salmon was the stand-out of the evening. The molten chocolate dessert was over the top and, as always, the small chocolate bites with the bill make the evening always seem worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.