45 Rideau Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5W8Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.santerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (613) 241-7113
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-Private room with seating up to 10 overlooking Sussex Street and the beautiful downtown Ottawa Cityscape.
- Private Party Contact: Cody Lennox 613-241-7113x
A word from Sante Restaurant
Sante Restaurant offers casual elegance and superb food in the heart of Ottawa, showcasing professional works of art. Lofty windows overlooking Sussex and Rideau, combined with an intimate and relaxed atmosphere create our unique dining milieu. Superb "globally inspired" cuisine with a twist and an artful blend of Asian fusion, classic Mediterranean and fresh Caribbean flavours create a unique taste experience. We offer a constantly evolving and exclusive collection of exquisite wines- Rich Europeans, Napa Valley Reserves with a focus on regional blends. Patrons have a unique opportunity to view as well as purchase art work from our ever changing display showcasing professional local artists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Sante Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Sante Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (19)special occasion (16)romantic (14)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delay was no problemDecemberDined on 11/19/2014Staff were very friendly and obliging - my colleague was an hour late, with no problem from staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday Night Jazz SceneAnnHeatherDined on 11/19/2014I find Sante to be a rather unique restaurant, offering fine local jazz every Wednesday evening at 6 pm (a suitable early hour for me). The atmosphere is very pleasant (elegant, but not pretentious) and the view of downtown Ottawa with its twinkly lights quite lovely. The wine I had (Pino Gregio - my favourite) was delicious. The menu features some Asian dishes which are not fancy but very tasty. The beet salad I chose was a delight. My only disappointment at last week's engagement was that we went particularly to hear Karen Oxorn sing (as had been advertised) but, when we entered and found another singer there, none of the staff we asked seemed to know why. It would be nice if the staff were informed with regard to the featured entertainment. Nevertheless, we had a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view Poor food I will not go back.UnderwhelmedDined on 11/18/2014We attended after a work function. The ambiance was great. The view was great. Bread was good. (Thank goodness for this because I didn't like the rest of the food). My crab salad had an off taste. The beef tenderloin was ok. Finished off by an absolutely terrible creme brûlée. It was watery and curd like. I was not a fan of this place.Special Features:
- Lynne from CornwalltravelingdinerDined on 11/8/2014I've been to Santé restaurant several times over the years and the food and the service have always been excellent. I greatly appreciate the lunch time events since they make it easier for me to attend given the distance from Cornwall. The varied and appealing items on the menu can easily please diverse palates. The menu also offers a wide choice of wines by the glasss to accompany the menu options. I feel so at ease in the welcoming ambiance of the restaurant. Santé provides a wonderful dining experience every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vinemakers Dinner - November 2014SylvieDined on 11/6/2014Santé Restaurant out did themselves for this one. The invited Guest Chef Daniel David Guerra's food was superb. The paring with PondView Estate vines was excellent. We enjoy the company of Joseph who was representing Louciano. The menu and vine pairing: Seared Wild Atlantic Salmon with caramelized oignon and coconut milk jello, topped with taro chips, 2013 Riesling Parsnip and Walnut soup with a Xerex Zabajone, Chardonnay (no oak) Micro Greens with Roasted Cashews and Piclked Grapes, drizzled with a grapefruit vinegrette, 2013 Riesling Seared lamb Chops in Melot sauce with herbed cous-cous and seasonal vegetables, both 2012 Cabernet-Franc and 2012 Meritage Honey Panna Cotta with carrot jam topped with caramel popcorn, Ice wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed after many yearsPeartreeDined on 10/29/2014I have been going to this restaurant for many years and it has been a prime choice for lunches and dinners with friends. However, yesterday's meal seemed to have been re-heated from the day before. The food was overcooked and nondescript. The server seemed a bit distant and perhaps wished we had ordered a more expensive meal. I will have to think twice before suggesting this restaurant again when I decide to dine out with friends.
- Great food!LongTimeFoodieDined on 10/24/2014Absolute best food you can find. The beef is absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special restaurantfoodisheavenDined on 10/17/2014Any restaurant that has been around for 31 years definitely has something going for it. And Sante Restaurant does. The ambiance is warm and lovely. The food is not only beautifully displayed, but simply delicious. I love the service because it is professional yet not in your face. Classy actually. For years I have been bringing clients to Sante. I know that it makes them feel special, because the restaurant is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food, great peopleTiamariaVIPDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant is located right across the street from Chateau Laurier, which is very convenient for those staying at the hotel. The cocktails were delicious, and the food (especially Pad Thai) was wonderful. There are a lot of choices in the nearby Byward Market area, but we were not having good luck getting a group of six in for a last minute reservation anywhere. We found Sante on OpenTable and read some reviews, which were all complimentary, so we gave it a shot. Hopefully it doesn't just get overlooked because of its second story location. Our server, Shannon, was fantastic. She also gave us some tips on exploring the area.Special Features:
- A welcome returnbocusseDined on 10/3/2014The last time I was at this restaurant was nearly 15 years ago. Strange in a way as I lived in Lowertown for over 40 years. Why such a long interval, I do not know, but this establishment is worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is the "Professional" Chef?homechefJoDined on 10/2/2014Ordered lunch special. Beet salad so-so. Beets tasted like they were cooked a week ago. Fish of the day (Black Cod) flavourless, & texture almost slimy. Pile of white rice also flavourless. Some vegies cooked perfectly (e.g. broccoli and cauliflower) others totally undercooked. Just the simple addition of fresh herbs would have made an enormous difference. Creme brule passable. Layer of candied sugar far too thick. Only one other table of diners. Was this a sign? Computer not working. Waited 45 minutes for bill with no offer of anything to compensate. Disappointing experience and sad because ambiance is pleasant.
- Very DissapointedneveragainDined on 9/20/2014This used to be one of our favorite restaurants, but now we'll never go back. Even though the restaurant had only one other table, our service was still incredible slow while we had to listen to the wait staff talk amongst themselves about their weekend. The main course was very salty and really had no taste. So disappointed!
- Improvement at SantéLongtimefoodieDined on 9/20/2014Based on my experience at noon last Saturday, the food at Santé has improved. I noted that there had been changes in the menu and that Santé no longer bills itself as "fusion." While the food has improved, however, I found the service to be weak and unprofessional. The waiter stood and talked and laughed with diners at another table, apparently friends, without paying attention to his other patrons. I must say that the coffee has always been excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent jazz and great food!petemysonDined on 9/17/2014We were two couples looking for an enjoyable evening. We totally enjoyed our dining experience at Santé. The service was prompt, efficient and we were totally satisfied with our meal. A jazz duo entertained us during our entire meal. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise supriseTheScrutineerDined on 8/30/2014Great night at Sante, top notch Pad Thai spiced just like it suppose too and my love had the organic Tofu mix which was great. Eclectic place very trendy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pad Thai - former favouriteDineagainDined on 8/29/2014You used to have the best Pad Thai - spicy (if requested) and beautifully presented with slices of carrot, cucumber etc around it to balance the spiciness of the dish. The meal was pleasing to the eye and a delight for the palate. Over time, there has been less attention to the presentation. Unfortunately tonight, we found the Pad Thai itself now lacks the depth and complexity of flavour... and was indifferently presented. All in all, very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz music and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Had a wonderful Friday evening at Sante, listening to live jazz and enjoying fine food. The beet salad was excellent, as was the basa fish and the pad thai. Really enjoyed having good, live jazz playing throughout the evening. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab birthday lunchbirthdaygemDined on 7/31/2014Service was attentive. Chef was accommodating for dairy-free, wheat-free puréed soup item off the menu. This restaurant honours birthdays - with champagne and raspberry sorbet [dairy-free, wheat-free of course]. The ambiance is urban eclectic and relaxed. What a treat for the palate and for the eyes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 216 reviews are from the Sante Restaurant reviews archive.
- Nice night out!JacalDined on 7/26/2014Party of 6, all ordered different meals and they were all very good. Service was great, view was nice. Everyone said they would go back. No complaints at all.Special Features:
- Nice.CP79Dined on 7/26/2014Staff seated everybody properly -- well-spaced. Food was good; drinks were good. But the restaurant should prepare a much more comprehensive list of spirits and other drinks available -- as well as all prices.
- Possible Improvement at SantéLongtimefoodieDined on 7/20/2014While I have not been pleased with the food at Santé in the past, this time it was somewhat better. This may be due to the fact that, as our waitress told us, it was not the regular chef who was on duty. We had ordered Thai green curry and asked that it be spicy. There was barely any spice to be detected. The vegetables, at least, were not overcooked.
- Not what it used to be.DisappointedDined on 7/18/2014This place has gone down hill. The staff are basically polite but totally unprofessional and clueless. The exterior windows need washing the empty tables were left cluttered. For a place that charged the prices they do, this was very disappointing. We did not even stick around for the food. There was no music until we asked for some. Then it was too loud an inappropriate for dining. Disappointed for sure.
- What happened to Sante RestaurantneveragainDined on 7/18/2014We had dinner this past Friday at your restaurant and had the worst food ever. The only good things were the bread, dipping oil, dessert and wine. The amuse, soup, crab salad (if you could call it that), and main course were awful and we barely touched our food. The waitress, although nice enough, had dirt under her finger nails. We would never go back nor would we recommend anyone to go. We had dinner a year ago and everything was great. Something has gone terribly wrong at your restaurant.Special Features:
- Very disappointingTravelbugDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I have been to Sante a couple of times in the past, as recently as January, we had always enjoyed the ambience and food very much. With overseas visitors visiting, when in Ottawa we decided to go to Sante - big mistake. The service was dismal, the waitress nearly dropped oil an vinegar all over my husband, the staff were disinterested and very rude when setting down dishes, reaching across etc., etc. it was not the evening that we had envisioned. The staff on our other visits were engaged, happy, fun, a totally different atmosphere. We will certainly not be going back and will not recommend to anyone again
- Great food, however.youngandhungryDined on 7/10/2014My boyfriend and I made a reservation at Sante to celebrate, and when we arrived we found that we were the only people in the entire restaurant, which made for great privacy. Our waiter was very sweet, however maybe not so knowledgeable about the menu, which is not a huge deal, as it was only a short trip to the kitchen before he answer all questions we had. We ordered the calamari, which was absolutely delicious, the green curry, which was also fantastic, yet mild, and the pad thai. My boyfriend asked for it to be spicy, and when we got it it was almost inedible for me because of how spicy it was and looked as if they just threw a bunch of chillies on top. Below average. All in all, however, it was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend itPapparazDined on 6/21/2014Attentive service. Good food and value. People watching available at window seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJbotDined on 6/14/2014The service was not good. We ordered several drink items that never came. We had to constantly remind the waiter of what we had ordered. He was clearly new but also had not been properly trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCanadianFoodieDined on 6/3/2014The event was a celebration of two birthdays. Surprisingly, we were the only guests on the Tuesday night but it turned out to be almost perfect. The brand new chef, David Debernardi, from Toronto (Langdon Hall and the Ritz Carleton) treated us to some wonderful and creative amuse-bouches. Our server, Karissa, was very attentive and very friendly. My pad Thai was delicious and spicy. My friends ordered the lamb, perfectly cooked, but the plate was barely warm; the halibut with miso paste was very good but the serving of scallions as the only vegetable (and tough to cut) distracted from the moist fish. My other friend ordered a chicken and rice dish which was wonderful and generous servings. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Staff!NSLASSDined on 5/23/2014Best spot in the city for appetizers - the shrimp are amazing as are the calamari and mussels. And what a deal during happy hour! The hot bread and fresh made fries adds to the experience. On top of that are the best wait staff who do a great job of service and keep you on your toes as well. The patio is the spot for people watching on on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing!marvickDined on 4/26/2014No one greeted us, we had to ask someone to be seated (our reservation was for 7:30pm) after waiting 25 minutes, we waived down a very inexperience waitress for drinks, she had no idea what the menu was about, nor did she know anything about wine or how to serve it! My husband main was just ok, but mine I returned. Its a shame because the restaurant is situated in a very scenic area of Ottawa downtown.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor ServiceDiscerningDinerDined on 4/23/2014We attended a wine pairing night with a view to enjoying some good food complimented by wine from Niagara. The evening started well and things were progressing nicely. Unfortunately, when it was time for the main course everyone, except the guest I had invited received their meal. Even the owner and the guest wine maker were served, but not the paying customer! Needless to say, I waited out of politeness for him to receive his meal. After 10-15 minutes and several comments to the wait staff his meal finally arrived; mine had by then cooled off. The finale was the staffs inability to provide our checks until well after all the other guests had left. It was simple math, 2 X $85 plus tax. Their incompetence ruined the evening!!!!Special Features:
- Food and service were great.HeatherDined on 4/14/2014Food and service were great. Wine was very overpriced - $14 for a mediocre glass of Pinot Noir?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food, slow serviceDonnaDined on 4/8/2014I like Santé. Have been several times for lunch. The food is good, creative, healthy, the decor is nice and the noise level and prices are reasonable. However at my most recent lunch it took much too long for our food to arrive, especially given that the restaurant was only half full and that the menu is fairly limited. The service was very cordial however, just much too slow for lunch - and it would probably be a good idea to supply the servers with a little pad to write down patrons orders. Also, maybe the manager could be a little more involved in checking on the patrons and working the room, and not leave it all in the hands of a single, albeit very pleasant server, instead of just standing at the bar, head down, doing paperwork.Special Features:
- Consistent!ElaineDined on 4/4/2014I have been to Santé Restaurant twice in the last 3 months and was very favourably impressed both times. The food was excellent, the service very friendly and courteous and the ambience warm and cosy. I will certainly return and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our wedding anniversarySylvieDined on 4/1/2014I have been going to Santé for many years now: with my girlfriends for lunch, with friends for their Winemaker's Dinner (next one on April 23, 2014). This time we went to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a table in a very quiet area. The food was excellent. I had the Table d'hôte which included a Thai crab salad, the catch of the day which was bass, dessert and coffee. My hubby had the soup of the day: cream of cauliflower and broccoli and the rack of lamb. We both enjoyed our food and the service was impeccable. We will go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful eveningZianneDined on 3/21/2014The food preparation is very fine, very well done. We appreciated a salmon ceviche and the SAnté platter for starters. My husband had the rack of lamb and I had the catch of the day. Excellent. Service was pleasant and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't rush backRmcb825Dined on 2/28/2014The food was ok, the service fair but the price was expensive. I am not interested in paying a premium price for mediocre .Special Features:
- Delicious foodCruzpuppyDined on 2/28/2014Sante is a great spot to eat before taking in a show at the NAC as it is just down the street. The food is primarily a fusion of Asian and North American and always delicious. They also host regular winemaker dinners featuring Ontario wineries which are a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation and hadsanteagainDined on 2/20/2014I made a reservation and had asked for a window table. We had that and a great view. The food was excellent but the service was a little slow. There was a group with children who wished to join us occasionally. Overall, the experience was very good and I would not hesitate to go back. I used a birthday discount to treat my friends to a shared appetizer. A nice touch.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and good foodDDCSDined on 2/16/2014For a Sunday night of a long weekend, Sante was lightly attended. We had excellent flavours and quality of food with a good choice of affordable wines. We did find that the excellent cut of meat could have been that much better had the plates been hot to keep it from cooling too soon. Overall a nice dining place for a conversation and a view of the centre of Ottawa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.