45 Rideau Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 5W8Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.santerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6132417113x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-Private room with seating up to 10 overlooking Sussex Street and the beautiful downtown Ottawa Cityscape.
- Private Party Contact: Cody Lennox 613-241-7113x
A word from Sante Restaurant
Sante Restaurant offers casual elegance and superb food in the heart of Ottawa, showcasing professional works of art. Lofty windows overlooking Sussex and Rideau, combined with an intimate and relaxed atmosphere create our unique dining milieu. Superb "globally inspired" cuisine with a twist and an artful blend of Asian fusion, classic Mediterranean and fresh Caribbean flavours create a unique taste experience. We offer a constantly evolving and exclusive collection of exquisite wines- Rich Europeans, Napa Valley Reserves with a focus on regional blends. Patrons have a unique opportunity to view as well as purchase art work from our ever changing display showcasing professional local artists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Sante Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Sante Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (14)scenic view (12)romantic (8)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent jazz and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We were two couples looking for an enjoyable evening. We totally enjoyed our dining experience at Santé. The service was prompt, efficient and we were totally satisfied with our meal. A jazz duo entertained us during our entire meal. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pad Thai - former favouriteDineagainDined on 8/29/2014You used to have the best Pad Thai - spicy (if requested) and beautifully presented with slices of carrot, cucumber etc around it to balance the spiciness of the dish. The meal was pleasing to the eye and a delight for the palate. Over time, there has been less attention to the presentation. Unfortunately tonight, we found the Pad Thai itself now lacks the depth and complexity of flavour... and was indifferently presented. All in all, very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz music and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Had a wonderful Friday evening at Sante, listening to live jazz and enjoying fine food. The beet salad was excellent, as was the basa fish and the pad thai. Really enjoyed having good, live jazz playing throughout the evening. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab birthday lunchbirthdaygemDined on 7/31/2014Service was attentive. Chef was accommodating for dairy-free, wheat-free puréed soup item off the menu. This restaurant honours birthdays - with champagne and raspberry sorbet [dairy-free, wheat-free of course]. The ambiance is urban eclectic and relaxed. What a treat for the palate and for the eyes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out!JacalDined on 7/26/2014Party of 6, all ordered different meals and they were all very good. Service was great, view was nice. Everyone said they would go back. No complaints at all.Special Features:
- Nice.CP79Dined on 7/26/2014Staff seated everybody properly -- well-spaced. Food was good; drinks were good. But the restaurant should prepare a much more comprehensive list of spirits and other drinks available -- as well as all prices.
- Possible Improvement at SantéLongtimefoodieDined on 7/20/2014While I have not been pleased with the food at Santé in the past, this time it was somewhat better. This may be due to the fact that, as our waitress told us, it was not the regular chef who was on duty. We had ordered Thai green curry and asked that it be spicy. There was barely any spice to be detected. The vegetables, at least, were not overcooked.
- Not what it used to be.DisappointedDined on 7/18/2014This place has gone down hill. The staff are basically polite but totally unprofessional and clueless. The exterior windows need washing the empty tables were left cluttered. For a place that charged the prices they do, this was very disappointing. We did not even stick around for the food. There was no music until we asked for some. Then it was too loud an inappropriate for dining. Disappointed for sure.
- What happened to Sante RestaurantneveragainDined on 7/18/2014We had dinner this past Friday at your restaurant and had the worst food ever. The only good things were the bread, dipping oil, dessert and wine. The amuse, soup, crab salad (if you could call it that), and main course were awful and we barely touched our food. The waitress, although nice enough, had dirt under her finger nails. We would never go back nor would we recommend anyone to go. We had dinner a year ago and everything was great. Something has gone terribly wrong at your restaurant.Special Features:
- Very disappointingTravelbugDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I have been to Sante a couple of times in the past, as recently as January, we had always enjoyed the ambience and food very much. With overseas visitors visiting, when in Ottawa we decided to go to Sante - big mistake. The service was dismal, the waitress nearly dropped oil an vinegar all over my husband, the staff were disinterested and very rude when setting down dishes, reaching across etc., etc. it was not the evening that we had envisioned. The staff on our other visits were engaged, happy, fun, a totally different atmosphere. We will certainly not be going back and will not recommend to anyone again
- Great food, however.youngandhungryDined on 7/10/2014My boyfriend and I made a reservation at Sante to celebrate, and when we arrived we found that we were the only people in the entire restaurant, which made for great privacy. Our waiter was very sweet, however maybe not so knowledgeable about the menu, which is not a huge deal, as it was only a short trip to the kitchen before he answer all questions we had. We ordered the calamari, which was absolutely delicious, the green curry, which was also fantastic, yet mild, and the pad thai. My boyfriend asked for it to be spicy, and when we got it it was almost inedible for me because of how spicy it was and looked as if they just threw a bunch of chillies on top. Below average. All in all, however, it was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend itPapparazDined on 6/21/2014Attentive service. Good food and value. People watching available at window seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJbotDined on 6/14/2014The service was not good. We ordered several drink items that never came. We had to constantly remind the waiter of what we had ordered. He was clearly new but also had not been properly trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceCanadianFoodieDined on 6/3/2014The event was a celebration of two birthdays. Surprisingly, we were the only guests on the Tuesday night but it turned out to be almost perfect. The brand new chef, David Debernardi, from Toronto (Langdon Hall and the Ritz Carleton) treated us to some wonderful and creative amuse-bouches. Our server, Karissa, was very attentive and very friendly. My pad Thai was delicious and spicy. My friends ordered the lamb, perfectly cooked, but the plate was barely warm; the halibut with miso paste was very good but the serving of scallions as the only vegetable (and tough to cut) distracted from the moist fish. My other friend ordered a chicken and rice dish which was wonderful and generous servings. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 206 reviews are from the Sante Restaurant reviews archive.
- Fun Staff!NSLASSDined on 5/23/2014Best spot in the city for appetizers - the shrimp are amazing as are the calamari and mussels. And what a deal during happy hour! The hot bread and fresh made fries adds to the experience. On top of that are the best wait staff who do a great job of service and keep you on your toes as well. The patio is the spot for people watching on on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing!marvickDined on 4/26/2014No one greeted us, we had to ask someone to be seated (our reservation was for 7:30pm) after waiting 25 minutes, we waived down a very inexperience waitress for drinks, she had no idea what the menu was about, nor did she know anything about wine or how to serve it! My husband main was just ok, but mine I returned. Its a shame because the restaurant is situated in a very scenic area of Ottawa downtown.Special Features:
- Great Food, Poor ServiceDiscerningDinerDined on 4/23/2014We attended a wine pairing night with a view to enjoying some good food complimented by wine from Niagara. The evening started well and things were progressing nicely. Unfortunately, when it was time for the main course everyone, except the guest I had invited received their meal. Even the owner and the guest wine maker were served, but not the paying customer! Needless to say, I waited out of politeness for him to receive his meal. After 10-15 minutes and several comments to the wait staff his meal finally arrived; mine had by then cooled off. The finale was the staffs inability to provide our checks until well after all the other guests had left. It was simple math, 2 X $85 plus tax. Their incompetence ruined the evening!!!!Special Features:
- Food and service were great.HeatherDined on 4/14/2014Food and service were great. Wine was very overpriced - $14 for a mediocre glass of Pinot Noir?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good food, slow serviceDonnaDined on 4/8/2014I like Santé. Have been several times for lunch. The food is good, creative, healthy, the decor is nice and the noise level and prices are reasonable. However at my most recent lunch it took much too long for our food to arrive, especially given that the restaurant was only half full and that the menu is fairly limited. The service was very cordial however, just much too slow for lunch - and it would probably be a good idea to supply the servers with a little pad to write down patrons orders. Also, maybe the manager could be a little more involved in checking on the patrons and working the room, and not leave it all in the hands of a single, albeit very pleasant server, instead of just standing at the bar, head down, doing paperwork.Special Features:
- Consistent!ElaineDined on 4/4/2014I have been to Santé Restaurant twice in the last 3 months and was very favourably impressed both times. The food was excellent, the service very friendly and courteous and the ambience warm and cosy. I will certainly return and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our wedding anniversarySylvieDined on 4/1/2014I have been going to Santé for many years now: with my girlfriends for lunch, with friends for their Winemaker's Dinner (next one on April 23, 2014). This time we went to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a table in a very quiet area. The food was excellent. I had the Table d'hôte which included a Thai crab salad, the catch of the day which was bass, dessert and coffee. My hubby had the soup of the day: cream of cauliflower and broccoli and the rack of lamb. We both enjoyed our food and the service was impeccable. We will go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful eveningZianneDined on 3/21/2014The food preparation is very fine, very well done. We appreciated a salmon ceviche and the SAnté platter for starters. My husband had the rack of lamb and I had the catch of the day. Excellent. Service was pleasant and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't rush backRmcb825Dined on 2/28/2014The food was ok, the service fair but the price was expensive. I am not interested in paying a premium price for mediocre .Special Features:
- Delicious foodCruzpuppyDined on 2/28/2014Sante is a great spot to eat before taking in a show at the NAC as it is just down the street. The food is primarily a fusion of Asian and North American and always delicious. They also host regular winemaker dinners featuring Ontario wineries which are a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation and hadsanteagainDined on 2/20/2014I made a reservation and had asked for a window table. We had that and a great view. The food was excellent but the service was a little slow. There was a group with children who wished to join us occasionally. Overall, the experience was very good and I would not hesitate to go back. I used a birthday discount to treat my friends to a shared appetizer. A nice touch.Special Features:
- Great ambiance and good foodDDCSDined on 2/16/2014For a Sunday night of a long weekend, Sante was lightly attended. We had excellent flavours and quality of food with a good choice of affordable wines. We did find that the excellent cut of meat could have been that much better had the plates been hot to keep it from cooling too soon. Overall a nice dining place for a conversation and a view of the centre of Ottawa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD REVIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The food was mediocre, would not go there for the food was disappointed for the price I paid. if I were to go there for anything it would just to have drinks.Special Features:
- A Memorable NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014With its high maintenance downtown location, one must expect an lively, ambient evening at Sante restaurant. I was surprised however with the secluded seating even in a seemingly condensed space! The service, although under a shortened menu (a +/-) and a lot of stress on such a busy Valentine's day, was indefatigable. As a youngster, this was my first sorti to a highly accredited restaurant and have no much to compare to in terms of price and food quality, but I can speak for myself as well as my date that whatever it was, it made the night a very special, delightful, and memorable one. I recommend every young couple to take a run at Sante restaurant, keeping an open mind.Special Features:
- Not so welcomingBeardeddinerDined on 2/14/2014It took 5 minutes after arrival before the owner ( looked like her, blonde older lady) greeted us, only to look as if we came to the wrong place/restaurant giving me the up and down look, which my wife and I found quite bigoted. But it's ok I didn't want to ruin my plans by saying something bigoted too, the food was great except the citrus salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeSeccoDined on 2/14/2014Sante has maintained their quality over the years. The cuisine is healthy and interesting, and meals are well balanced. It is enviably situated high above the busy streets providing outstanding views of the Chateau Laurier and the heart of the City. The atmosphere is intimate, and provides a private-club feeling. Music is subdued, enabling diners to have conversations - unlike most trendy restaurants lately..Special Features:
- Disappointed for the first timeRegularDined on 2/13/2014I have been a patron of this restaurant for many years. However, on my most recent visit, my friends and I had to wait about 45 minutes for our main course after enjoying our appetizers. Sometimes I think restaurants use this ploy in hopes that customers will order more wine, which is already very expensive by the glass. When the meals finally arrived, my friends did not find their food to be well enough seasoned. One of the menu choices was not available (green curry) and the waitress said that the reason was that they were gearing up for Valentine's Day - I guess they wanted to save the green curry for the next day. I was rather embarassed because I had chosen the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine tastingTaliskerDined on 2/12/2014Attended an enjoyable wine tasting dinner, but the food, though good, did not seem up to the standards of regular dinners there. A crab salad was quite bland and sent back by some diners, though not be me. Pad thai was good but not as distinctive as on other occasions. Putting everything including ambience and service together, we had a good time.Special Features:
- This restaurant has an inexperienceDisappointedVIPDined on 2/7/2014This restaurant has an inexperienced staff. Service took a long time. Food was brough out incorrectly 3 times and as the issues were discussed with the manager, he decided to say, 'well that's our opinion and you have yours'. Proper management should know how to speak to guests in a professional manner. Guest satisfaction should be there number one priority. Some parts of the meal were good, however, for the cost of each dish we were overall DISAPPOINTED. This is a restaurant pretending to be a high end establishment though their fancy location and high prices. Not worth it!!
- Still One of My FavouritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2014Sante has always been one of my favourites for lunch. I have been going there for many years and have yet to be disappointed. It is quiet and very comfortable for business lunches.Special Features:
- Improvementluv2eatDined on 1/31/2014We have always enjoyed Sante, however. I suggest that you add more tofu to your "TOFU Dish", other than 3 or 4 pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Overall the experience was good. The good was delicious, but my rice was Luke warm.. There were no specials explained to us and the some of the items put in front of us were not explained. We had to ask what they were. No one came to check on us after dinner was served.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014This is one of my favourite restaurants, not only for the location but I have never been disappointed by the food which is exquisite. And wonderful local art work to enjoy as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchSandyDined on 12/29/2013After a relaxing massage next door at Holtz spa, we enjoyed a quiet and delicious lunch at Sante. Great service and a nice ATM Miso here. Fun to people watch onto Rideau Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Learn how to servr steakNotWorthItDined on 12/24/2013Prices were way too high for what the food is worth. Ordered mussles, steak and a bottle of wine. As the wine was being opened I was told the mussles were all gone. Didn't have a chance to change my order or wine as it was already opened. Also the $30+ steak was served like Salisbury steak with some sort of gross gravy runoff poured all over it. Not how steak should be served.Special Features:
- dissappointedgreenbardDined on 12/18/2013Ordered a steak sandwich - rare. It wasfar from rare. Sent it back - second effort wasn't much better and came well after my lunch companion had finished eating. No compensation on the bill. Server seemed surprised that we weren't happy.