73 West 71st Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.santafe71.com/
- Phone: (212) 724-0822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jose Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties available pending negotiation. Call and ask to speak with Alex.
A word from Santa Fe
Santa Fe has been an Upper West-side staple for over 25 years. Featuring Southwestern Classics, Contemporary Mexican Cuisine and the best Margaritas in town, we strive to provide every one of our guests with a comfortable, delicious and friendly dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Santa Fe reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A kitchen that has seen better daysNYCGourmandVIPDined on 11/18/2014Having made reservations after about a 4-year absence and arriving on what turned out to be Taco Tuesday, we thought we were in for a treat. The host was elegant and upbeat; the bar was full and animated; the back room, past a small, working fire-place, was quiet and sophisticated. All good signs. Unfortunately, what came out of the kitchen was pedestrian, over-cooked and even with 3 tiny offerings of "gourmet" sauces to apply to 3 orders of 3 tacos each, uninspired and virtually tasteless. The server couldn't have been more accommodating; maybe the third request for "more salsa, please" during the main meal should have been a clue. Management needs to drop by and eat what the kitchen sends out to see what is passing for below par Tex-Mex cuisine. Granted we only had the tacos, soft and hard, but if these beef, pork and chicken fillings are this disappointing, what must dishes that require more attention and better preparation and seasoning be like?
- Been around for years & still has good foodRayUWSVIPDined on 11/12/2014Decided to dine here the other night, after not having been here for 2-3 years. It's a nice spot and during the week the bar has a neighborhood crowd of a mature age (I fit into this category). I think the mistake I made was ordering a special, the duck - I asked for it to be served rare and it was like a piece of leather, so dry. The waiter made a modest accommodation for the well over-cooked duck but in hindsight, I'd say stick with the traditional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotPhillyGirlDined on 11/1/2014This is a great spot for upscale tex/mex and a wonderful ambiance for a group gathering. The menu has lots to choose from and is excellent.Special Features:
- Quiet, Comfortable, DeliciousWerreandWrakeVIPDined on 10/31/2014We dine at Santa Fe often. The food is delicious but doesn't break the bank; the margaritas are great; the service is always polite and thoughtful (we've never once been treated rudely, not once in the many years we've eaten there); and the back room is quiet enough you can dine with friends and easily catch up. I think they also have more circular tables, we are just lovely for group conversations.Special Features:
- UberCVIPDined on 10/21/2014Could not have been more accommodating. Nice people. Open somewhat late which was necessary on the occasion and didn't hurry us out. Margarita (top shelf) was terrible with little alcohol to boot. Food edible but mediocre at best.
- Try this Restaurant!fandoxVIPDined on 10/17/2014A Mexican/Southwest restaurant on the Upper West Side! Great place! Margaritas are amazing and the food is high quality! I WILL BE dining here again!Special Features:
- Excellent quality foodBartonFoodieDined on 10/1/2014I'm not an expert on this style of food - Southern USA/Mexican, but our group of three all thoroughly enjoyed our meals here. They were very tasty, spicy without being hot and well presented. The margueritas did their magic, the noise level is ideal and the staff were attentive and helpful. If I lived here, I'd make this a regular stop for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood SWJeffVIPDined on 9/30/2014This was our second visit to Santa Fe and it will not be the last. Nothing fancy, just good, tasty Southwest cooking. I had the enchiladas, my wife had the steak fajitas. Both were very good, as was the guacomole, although it could have used a touch more zip. As I said, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Not what it once wasDanbDined on 9/16/2014We had not been to Santa Fe for a number (think 20) of years. Unfortunately, it has not aged well - but aged it has. Gone is the "edge", the vibrant approach to food and the bright, new look and feel. Perhaps a bit of a lift is in order.
- reliable foodBetsyknitVIPDined on 9/16/2014I've eaten here a few times, since it's in my neighborhood. The food is good. Not amazing, best things I've ever eaten, but good enough to return. Ginger margarita is nice; the mushroom quesadilla is the best one I've had, and the best thing here. look, mexican/southwest food is heavy, and that's what the food it. this is quite good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest delight on UWSoichiDined on 8/30/2014Frozen margaritas thick as snow cones and delicious. House hamburger on English muffin with choice of cheese types and well-done bacon (for added charge) especially good after a long abstinence.Special Features:
- YumMaestrabg1Dined on 8/29/2014Labor Day weekend. Food was fab: chipotle chicken, chipotle shrimp, crab cakes. All excellent. Not pressured to get dessert. Lovely wait staff. Good time, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love to sit in the friendly bar area. Delicious grapefruit margaritas! and we enjoyed the trout and steak fajitasSpecial Features:
- Delicious!imameyerhoffDined on 8/2/2014I've lived in the neighborhood for years and just tried this place for dinner on a Saturday night. The food was SO good. For the price though, they should offer better ingredients - organic or natural or wild salmon, not the farmed kind. I was there for a date night and, unfortunately, there were a lot of kids there, but thank goodness they were well-behaved. I will be back though, not a lot of mexican food options in the hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming...upperwesteaterVIPDined on 8/2/2014I was a bit disappointed with this place. The food was bland at best and the service was pretty poor (our waiter seemed very put out with simple requests). It's really close to me so I was hoping we found a new place to go to when Rosa Mexicano is booked up but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Santa Fe reviews archive.
- All Around FantasticdineitDined on 7/26/2014Managers and staff are amazing! Food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/23/2014It is always worthwhile coming here for the good food and excellent margaritas. Service, however, is usually hit or miss. More servers are really needed to make it better. Portions and prices are pretty fair so all in all a good choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Great place. Brought friends from out of town and they loved it. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/12/2014because summer days in central park just call out for margaritas, we dined at santa fe for the second time in a week. the food is always good and consistent, this time it went beyond. the salmon special with pipian sauce was as good as anything served at coyote cafe (one of new mexico's uber-standards of southwestern cuisine)Special Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/8/2014always a good quality margarita and good choices for Tex-Mex fare with decent portions and prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?ABG1Dined on 7/5/2014What a pleasant surprise. Always thought that this was a small bar. The back dining room was very nice and the food exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/5/2014we decided that Saturday was the perfect summer evening to sip margaritas at the bar of Santa Fe. I tried the blood orange, which was nice and tart (not gooey and sweet as flavored margaritas tend to be). The crab cakes and steak fajitas were delicious too!Special Features:
- Nice surpriseHollyYVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great little restaurant in our neighborhood. Lovely staff, nice food and a back dining area separate from bar helped noise level. Will def go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennethDined on 6/27/2014Great as a pre-Lincoln Center destination for dinner. Tasty food delivered efficiently and attentive wait staff. I enjoyed the wine which was reasonably priced by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Again!MikeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our most recent visit to Santa Fe was very pleasant. Good drinks, good food and great Margarita's! We like this spot for dinner before a show at Lincoln Center. The staff is very welcoming and the service always spot on. My favorite dish is Shrimp Chipolte which I enjoyed this past Friday evening. My wife enjoyed the short ribs of beef in a soft taco. We will be happy to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Southwestern Gem!diniVIPDined on 6/26/2014Santa Fe is just plain fun...great margaritas, exciting bar scene, where "everybody knows your name", excellent southwestern food at reasonable prices, and accoustics that allow you to hear your dining companions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/21/2014I enjoy coming to Santa Fe whenever I am in the neighborhood, I especially love the huge pork chop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF was a special treatUWSfavsDined on 6/17/2014Totally fortuitous and delightful selection: We (living on West 73rd St) just celebrated my wife's 71st birthday (with Italian and British guests) by selecting a neighborhood restaurant on West 71st St. with Santa Fe at 73 W 71st being perfect. To our delight, Sante Fe provided to be a superior restaurant to which we will return ourselves and with guests. We enjoyed range of menu, especially crab cakes; with responsive and informed waiters and an eating area that was delightfully decorated and delightfully quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Casual Mother's Day DinnerMojesuVIPDined on 5/11/2014Had an early (6.30 pm) Mother's Day dinner at Santa Fe. Nice, casual, good service, good food, good margaritas. Easy going - worked for the kids and the parents. My star rating is based on combo of food/ambiance/service and price point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeParker705VIPDined on 5/10/2014Interesting Southwestern menu wonderful margaritas. Not the prettiest place, but comfortable. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Magaritas are amazing!AdmansdadDined on 4/17/2014Best margaritas I've had anywhere. Food is also great...I strongly recommend the Yucatan Chicken. I've been 5-6 times now, and will return again.Special Features:
- Always good food/great margaritaswestsiderVIPDined on 4/16/2014One of our favorite neighborhood places to eat. Food is always good and at reasonable prices. Good margaritas.Special Features:
- Great Prices and AtmospherekkfoodieDined on 4/11/2014Our party was looking for something affordable AND good food. We found that at Sante Fe. Our waitress was very helpful and nice. If we visit New York City again, we will definitely visit Sante Fe again.Special Features:
- Good basic southwestern foodSJR1VIPDined on 4/2/2014Food was OK, service was polite but slow at times. Good place to go for a basic meal but nothing that knocks your socks off. We had the Guacamole, Tortilla Soup, Chimichangas and Banana pudding. Crowd seems to be a bunch of regulars that have gone there for a long time. There weren't many people in there below 65. My girlfriend left her phone on the table and realized it was missing about 30-45 mins after we left. Surprisingly, it wasn't stolen. The staff located it and held it for me at the front until I could get there to pick it up. Kudos to them.
- ConfortablereviewerrobertVIPDined on 3/15/2014Santa Fe is one of those comfortable restaurants we love. Always greeted warmly by Alex and all the waitstaff that we have come to know. Ellie is our fav! Food is dependable and they are always willing to make changes. Brunch is surprisingly good. Fajitas and hamburger is our go to.Special Features:
- Still the BEST Margaritas!diniVIPDined on 3/4/2014This little gem just off Columbus Avenue still has the best margaritas in town...the food is excellent, the service, sublime. I just love it for lunch or dinner!! And it is so nice to be able to have a civil conversation without loud music blaring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beTuRKyDined on 3/1/2014There was a day when people would kill to get into Sante Fe - now they are dying to leave!
- Great diningBuckmanDined on 3/1/2014Went here prior to a Lincoln Center performance. Quick friendly service and food enjoyed by all four.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2014We love this restaurant for our 'tex mex' fix. The guacamole is delicious and so is the tortilla soup. A great option are the fish taco app as a meal - really good. I recommend this place, but the service can be hit or miss depending on how many large groups are there, and how well the particular server handles it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times now and each time is better than the last. I ordered the crab cakes which tasted fresh and were paired perfectly with a smoky tomato sauce. The Valentine's day special pomegranate margarita was delicious. Service was great. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.