Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Wilmington
2006 Pennsylvania Ave
Wilmington, DE 19806Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Wilmington
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.santafewilmington.com/
- Phone: 3024255200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm-10:00pm,
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Chef Abimael
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Santa Fe features a Catering menu with varied options perfect for casual lunches, birthday parties, or wedding parties. Featuring Guacamole Bowls, Fajita Bars, Churrasco Steak and Chipotle Mashed Potatoes. For delivery or pick-up, disposables or rentals available, contact our Catering Manager as soon as possible to plan your next event!
- Private Party Facilities: Authentic Mexican cuisine at Santa Fe Mexican Grill is ideal for any meal, sure to treat your guests to a memorable experience. Enjoy your next event in our newly renovated private dining room, La Bodega, equipped to be catered to any event.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie Hrycak 8662934281
- Special Events: Santa Fe is constantly looking for ways to encourage community involvement and fun. Look out for our Beer Festivals in the Spring and Fall, our annual Pig Roast competition, Tequila and Wine dinners, and, most importantly, the biggest Cinco de Mayo party in Delaware!
A word from Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Wilmington
Located Wilmington, Delaware, this casual yet stylish restaurant has been awarded with The Best of Delaware award as the Best Mexican Restaurant- Upstate 2011 and 2013 as well as Delaware Online's Reader's Choice 2013 Best Mexican. We feature 100 different tequila options, including home infused tequilas with fresh fruit and Mexican spices. Also, Santa Fe specializes in margaritas and Mojitos which have been awarded as the best locally. Start off with freshly made guacamole table side, move onto spiced crab quesadillas or our Chile Ancho rubbed ribeye steak with chipotle butter. End the night with our homemade Flan or our signature Tres Leches cake.Continued
Ask a local where to find the best Mexican food at a reasonable price, and you're likely to be pointed towards Santa Fe Mexican Grill.
Ask a local where to find the best Mexican food at a reasonable price, and you're likely to be pointed towards Santa Fe Mexican Grill.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Wilmington reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great authentic foodRes3cueVIPDined on 7/27/2014My girlfriend and I come here just about every weekend for lunch and we are usually greeted by our waitress Sarah with a smile. Sarah always has our drinks an the chips and salsa ready right when we sit down. The food is great and pretty quick from the kitchen. They have a great half price deal on something different every day which makes an amazing lunch deal. Any one who likes good Mexican food and friendly service should come here and ask for Sarah! They are also glueton free friendly for those who need or want that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEWARE of HIDDEN CHARGES!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014We were quite disappointed that Santa Fe has elected to deceptively charge their guests a $3.00/drink up charge for any beverage containing fresh lime juice. Guests should beware as this charge will not appear on the menu anywhere, nor will your server give you a heads-up, but you can be sure it will appear on your bill. We used to go to Santa Fe quite often but after this experience and the flat out deceptive nature of their business practices, we will never go back. Such non-disclosure is patently offensive and certainly leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of their customers. People we have told about this practice found it equally appalling.
- First time mishapLucyDined on 5/5/2014We had heard good things about this restaurant and decided to try it out on Cinco de Mayo. BIG MISTAKE!!! Even though we had reservations, we still waited about 30 minutes for a table. People who were seated before us were leaving and saying that they waited an hour and still had not been served. We had been looking forward to the molcajete, but on this night they had a limited menu. Our waiter Andy was great, but we still waited a long time for the food to come out and we were pretty hungry. The food that they had was good, so we probably will try this again another time, but definitely not on a holiday. This is a small place, and although they should have been prepared for a larger crowd than usual, they failed handle it properly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely poor service & insultingINSULTDined on 5/5/2014We expected a longer wait due to Cinco however, waiting over an hour for our dinners when people were coming in even 20 minutes after us & getting their meals while we continued to wait. The waitress after 40 minutes lied and said that it is coming up shortly & after 10 minutes still no food! Several times we politely checked with Greg the mgr and 3 others who were either mgrs or owners, twice Greg said he will check on it with no follow up with us. We know mistakes happen but no resolution! The part that irritates me the most, is the INSULT of being brushed off, the mgr should have stayed with the order until served but when off to herd more people into the restaurant. We left after an hour still with no status on our order. Shameful!
- Good Latin American foodLoyaldinerDined on 5/3/2014The food was delicious although not truly Mexican. You can find a mix of Latin American dishes, all delicious. The margaritas were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Wilmington reviews archive.
- Very goodDawnshaDined on 3/14/2014we love this place and drive 45 minutes to eat there. its our favorite Mexican restaurant. and the tableside guacomole is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recently went here for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014Recently went here for a birthday dinner with 8 friends. The service was attentive and food was brought out made-to-order as requested. The place was relatively dead for 8pm on a Saturday night and I was surprised to find it nearly empty when were leaving around 9:30. The prices were very affordable though. I thought the "Skinny" margarita was a little watered down and friends mentioned their frozen or regular margaritas on the rocks were a little too sweet. Otherwise food was pretty standard, nothing too special. The servers did not offer anything special because of our friends birthday.
- Besides the fresh and flavorfulscottDined on 1/11/2014Besides the fresh and flavorful food, the staff is GREAT and the ambiance is super cool....especially the back room where you pass by a wall consisting of oak rings from old tequilla barrels. We have been huge fans of the location in Newark (center of Univ of Delaware campus) and wanted to try the more upscale version in Wilmington. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere is less hectic (although this is what we expect in Newark with the college student energy), the decor is very well done, and the staff are terrific. Lots of parking is a huge plus as well. Looking forward to participating in one of their tequilla tasting dinners. Great place for a large group too. Great job to Havier and his team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than MexicanDisappointedDined on 12/30/2013I'm from out of town and live in Central Texas, so I may be a bit more snobbish about my Mexican food, but I can say with certainty that this place doesn't really live up to an "authentic" Mexican name. Queso was a joke. The "street tacos" were just small soft tacos—no real flavor and they came out 5 minutes after much more complicated dishes. True street tacos have speed as an ingredient. Anyway, if you don't care about Mexican food, take a chance. If you have any expectations for this place, go elsewhere.
- Good foodLauraDined on 12/28/2013We went for a going away celebration at the spur of the moment. The food was very good as were the drinks. We were seated immediately. Only downside was that the drinks arrived a little slow. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service.NeilVIPDined on 9/27/2013Seated ten minutes after reservation even though there were several empty tables. Waitress was not knowledgable about drinks or food. After a half an hour we were served a side of guacamole with out the chips and still no drinks. A dining experience that should've lasted a but over an hour was almost three. Will not return.Special Features:
- Chips not the bestCarlVIPDined on 8/31/2013We found the chips like cardboard and unsalted. Probably came from a box. Mentioned to our waiter at the end of the meal. We haves found better chips at chain Mexican restaurants. However, the entrées were excellent. We lived in New Mexico so we have a taste for fine Mexican food.Special Features:
- Excellent guacomole! PoastedandkayVIPDined on 7/19/2013Excellent guacomole! Poasted chicken was nicely seasoned and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiding in plain sightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2013Don't think that just because Santa Fe is next to Michael Christopher it's highbrow. Nice neighborhood feel, interesting fresh flavors and moderate prices. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2013Our waitress did not know which beers were on tap. The beer menu had the brands but not which beers, so I had to walk up to the bar and check it out. Everything else service was was down hill. The manager who was bussing tables finally got our check and the waitress adding a round of drinks that we did not have. Food was good, however I am not going again. So much for the day before July 4th in Wilmington. I guess all the good service went to the beach
- Great food and dicey serviceDEDinerDined on 6/22/2013Love the food here and visit often even though the service is hit or miss. Went for dinner last Tuesday--fantastic service from Amanda. Went back with a larger group on Saturday night--lousy service from a gentleman whose name I did not catch. When at table he was clearly irritated by various members of our party and we had to hunt him down to get more drinks, salsa, etc. When our entrees (finally) came out, everyone else had their food for a good 10 minutes before my sister was able to flag someone down (not our server, who had disappeared) to inquire about her missing meal. Server was in better spirits when we were paying the bill and even agreed to do separate checks but was otherwise inefficient and unpleasant. Food was great as usualI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers DayTootDined on 6/15/2013I brought my husband here to celebrate a first fathers day..and he loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visit.JRB1Dined on 5/25/2013This was our second visit. The food was very good. The service was friendly. Will definitely be back again. The only thing that I wish they would do differently is offer a half-size guacamole bowl. The guacamole is made right at the table and is so incredibly good. But is too much for just one person - I am the only one in our family who likes guacamole. And guacamole the next day is just not the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trains!!!MrFoodieDined on 5/20/2013I really didn't like the train that drove by while I was outside enjoying my meal. The food was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Guac!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 5/15/2013Great food. Lots of different choices beyond your typical Mexican restaurant. Service can be a bit slow when you are sitting outside, but overall good. Guacamole is excellent (love the table side preparation when available). One of our favorite places.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caipirinha was a joke. EverythingTheMeatDined on 5/10/2013Caipirinha was a joke. Everything else was awesome. Our waiter awkwardly joked about expecting a larger tip for a minor request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedkellsfranDined on 5/5/2013I went to Santa Fe for Brunch on Cinco de Mayo and brunch was overpriced ($20) for the quality (most of it was luke warm!). The waitress also didn't know if they were service Margaritas and it was Cinco de Mayo! They were also not serving anything off of their regular brunch menu, so you had to do the buffet. You would think that it would at least be hot if that was all they were focusing on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QuesadillasB2lunchVIPDined on 5/1/2013We enjoyed the outdoor patio; it was a very relaxing place. The quesadillas were GREAT (especially the chipolte crab and the bistec con chimichurri). I definitely would return to try more dishes. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok. Waitress wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Food was ok. Waitress was nice, but service was a little slow and it wasn't that busy. The one thing that was neat was that they made the guacamole right in front of you at your table. Music was a little loud. Not planning on heading back anytime soon.
- Me and my wife tried thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Me and my wife tried this place for the first time. I'd say it's a notch or two above Don Pablo's or The Border Cafe. The food was very good, and we will be coming back. One nice thing I'll mention is that the portion sizes aren't out of control like at most Mexican or Tex/Mex restaurants. So I left not feeling bloated, which is a good thing. The tableside guac looked really good. I will have to get that next time!Special Features:
- Went here for brunch. IntendedAndreaVIPDined on 3/10/2013Went here for brunch. Intended to order lunch food, but the brunch menu looked quite good. My friend and I ordered dishes with eggs - she ordered chilaquiles and I ordered heurvos rancheros. We both ordered the eggs to be cooked such that the yolk would be runny. Our eggs came back rock hard. I had to send them back. Our server was outstanding though. She gladly took them back, explained that she ordered them correctly, and promptly brought us back perfectly cooked eggs. However, the rest of our food sat for until the eggs came back - so not sure we experienced our dishes at their best. The manager came over to apologize also. I think this place has great potential. Loved the brunch menu so much will definitely go again.
- My new favorite Mexican restaurantCTscan16Dined on 2/22/2013My husband and I somewhat stumbled upon Santa Fe one evening in search of a restaurant near the Delaware Art Museum. We have been back three times with friends and family. We love the food and the atmosphere. We love Mexican food, and Santa Fe offered staple Mexican dishes as well as some more authentic dishes such as the Molcajete. I recommend it! Their margaritas and sangria are delicious as well. This place is good for a date or small group. The restaurant isn't huge so a large group would be a tight fit. The music was a bit loud, but my nephews under the age of 7 didn't complain. The service was good, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Not bad but could do betterJboy21047Dined on 2/17/2013It was quite busy for a Sunday night and I think it is a great local hangout. I had the corn and chipotle soup as a starter, which was creamy and flavorful but was lukewarm. The entree was a pork tenderoin that was a bit overcooked and dry. I don't know if it was because they made a mistake in our order and we waited a long time for them to bring it out or this was the way they intended it to be. I would have preferred it to be a little more pink and juicy. Dessert was a homemade brownie with a kick. Great flavor, light and chewy. Overall it is a nice place and I would go back.Special Features:
- Terrible Experience!FoodluvrDined on 2/14/2013My family and I decided to try this restaurant for Mother's day and were sorely disappointed! First, we were told that we needed to make a "special" reservation in order to sit in one of their booths. Second, the hostess that seated us was less than enthusiastic while seating us. Lastly, the rude service coupled with an argumentative hostess/server encited feelings of frustration, anger, and great disappointment. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone after being chagrined in such a manner! I am a former (fast casual) restaurant executive and have frequented some of the best resturants in the country so, I do not provide this review lightly. I truly care about the customer experience! Thanks
- Give it a try!!!!Archern69Dined on 2/9/2013Food was very good. Service was a little slow. Margaritas were excellent. Overall a nice Mexican dinner. Will eat there again. Menu was not huge but a good selection. Menu has a few upscale dishes slightly different than the usual. Try it!!!!Special Features:
- Pretty Good, Definitley recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013Great service and the food was rather good! My appetizer was crab nachos which was very delish, would definitley get again. My friend had the short ribs platter which was also very delish. I would definitley order that at some point in the future. My dinner..not so good...well, it was just okay...I wouldn't get it again...It was the paella.Special Features:
- Wonderful ambiance....appetizingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013Wonderful ambiance....appetizing food....great Margaritas. Fresh guacamole, made table side, was a highlight and made eating anything but freshly made guac a disappointment. Would recommend Santa Fe to anyone and will certainly be returning myself!Special Features:
- Santa Fe - A Must Go!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/26/2012Our dinner at Santa Fe was wonderful. It was highy recommended by my 20-something adult daughters. Good micro-brews/latin beers on tap. I started with wings. WOW- excellent. They made gucamole at the table-a classy touch. The latin fusion dish I had, an Alambre (with a Hawaiian influence) was outstanding. My wife had the best shrimp tacos. People next to us were raving over the beef and chicken faitas & the salmon. Service was truly excellent. The wait staff gave us the feeling we were special. The owner, Javier, came up and talked with us getting to know who we were - I liked that touch. It felt very comfortable. Santa Fe is unique to Wilmington. I Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Santa Fe is the best MexicanDesiDined on 12/8/2012Santa Fe is the best Mexican restaurant in Wilmington. they serve a wide ramge of Mexican and Tex-Mex food that satisfies both gringos and hispanics. The owner and staff go out of their way to keep customers happy. If you enjoy spicy food Try the Carnitas with the verde sauce, or the Chile Relleno(ask for the hot sauce on the side). Also try the sweet plantains and the sweet corn tamale. I moved back to Wilmington after staying in Texas for 20 years, and the Mexican rivals any place in Texas. I recommend with 4 stars.Special Features:
- Awesome dinner using a LivingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2012Awesome dinner using a Living Social coupon and half priced wine night !! Really was a good bargain and wonderful food.
- Excellent night out for grandparentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2012Excellent night out for grandparents, kids, and us! Food was excellent, authentic and how can I get the table side guac every night?! Drinks were generous and delicious, and we were pleasantly surprised there was a kids menu with excellent portions and reasonably priced. We will be back often!Special Features:
- Perfect Lunch at a Bargain PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/7/2012An associate and I visited Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar for lunch, my having been at the sister establishment in Newark. The menu had a diverse selection of Mexican fare with both luncheon and dinner items available. We both opted for luncheon items, starting with soft drinks and the complementary tostadas with salsa. The service was excellent throughout the meal and started with offers to assist with questions regarding the menu. My friend had the Santa Fe Taco Salad. I had the de Bistec con Chimichurri Grilled Skirt Steak Quesadilla. Both were outstanding! Better yet, when we received the bill, it was only $16, earning our waitress a deserved $4 tip. Santa Fe has earned its way to the top of our list for lunch.Special Features:
- Over-FamiliarityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2012The food at this establishment was satisfactory. The staff detracted from the experience by becoming overly familiar - expressing judgmental opinions of others.
- The food was excellent. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2012The food was excellent. The temperature was appropriate and the presentation of the food was a plus. The blending of spices with the ingredients allowed the diner to experience the taste of the ingredients without being overpowered by the spices. The portion sizes were more than adequate and the prices were more than reasonable. The menu selection was impressive and comprehensive.Special Features:
- Not able to rate noise asOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2012Not able to rate noise as we were the only two people at the restaurant. Monday at 5:00 is not a very happening time. The food was amazing - I recommend the crab quesadillas!Special Features: