Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Newark
190 E Main St.
Newark, DE 19711Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Newark
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.santafemexicangrill.net/
- Phone: 3023692500
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available.
A word from Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Newark
Located on the heart of Main Street Newark, Delaware, this casual yet stylish restaurant has been awarded with The Best of Delaware award as the Best Mexican Restaurant- Upstate 2011. Patrons choose from outdoor dining on the wrap around patio or the tropical indoor dinning. It also features a brand new bar with more than 100 different tequila options, including home infused tequilas with fresh fruit and Mexican spices. Also, Santa Fe specializes in margaritas and Mojitos which have been awarded as the best locally. Start off with freshly made guacamole tableside, move onto spiced crab quesadillas or our Chile Ancho rubbed Ribeye steak with chipotle butter. End the night with our homemade Flan or our signature crepas filled with coffee ice cream and strawberry salsa. Ask a local where to find the best Mexican food at a reasonable price, and you're likely to be pointed towards Santa Fe Mexican Grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Newark reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Outstanding servicegrandmomDined on 8/3/2014The food, ambiance and décor were most satisfactory, but the thing that made the dining experience stand out as extraordinary, was our server, EMILY. She was never without a smile; she was a big help with our selection of food; throughout the meal she attended to empty water glasses without our even noticing her comings and goings. She made sure our every need was taken care of - always with a smile on her face. You can have the best food in the world, but if the server is unpleasant, the meal is worthless. Our dining experience was a joy. THANK YOU, EMILY.Special Features:
- Good food, inexpensive, but loudCharlie2kDined on 5/16/2014Definitely recommend making a reservation because we had a 30 minute wait when we didn't have one, and when we did have one we got seated immediately. The food is really good. Some of the best Tex-Mex we've found. The service is pretty good. We had one waitress who took time to explain items on the menu and make suggestions. But be prepared to deal with a crowd of college students. It appears to be a popular University of Delaware hangout. We've often encountered large, loud groups of students who are there to have a good time.Special Features:
- Won't be going back.jerseygirlDined on 5/6/2014Seems to be a hot spot for college kids. It was very busy, on a tuesday night. Two dollar tacos were dry, the meat and the tortilla's. Soda was flat, they barely give you any sour cream or cheese that we asked for on a side and then for tacos they charge .49 cents for a tablespoon of sour cream. The cornbread was soggy and nasty. The service was slow, it took them 10 minutes to notice we were there to take our orders. 15 mins to get our drinks. And then they screwed up our bill. It was just really bad, and it was my fiance's birthday so needless to say, we won't be going back.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Santa Fe Mexican Grill & Bar - Newark reviews archive.
- Cold and Runny QuesoJunglemom1Dined on 2/28/2014The good thing was that we were seated right away. It was very crowded for Happy Hour in the bar, so we were seated in the dining room. We ordered the Queso as an appetizer. It was cold and very runny when delivered by the manager. Sent it back. It was warmer, still very runny, but not hot. I do like the salsa and chips. Then we waited another 20 min or so for our entres. The entres were okay. I had the chicken Chimichanga and my husband had the seafood Enchilada. Nothing special. The wait service was okay, the waitress wasn't overly friendly, and it was hard to get her attention when needed. What should have been an hour dinner, if that, took almost two hours.Special Features:
- Good Drinks, Food is not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2013Saw this place get high ratings. It's in the University DE area. See lots of people there all the time. The outdoor area is nice. Met friends there and ordered drinks that were all great & tasty. The appetizers were good too, but when we ordered our main entrees, they were not great. My friend ordered 'baked salmon' that obviously was fried (maybe even deep friend). I ordered the fish tacos that I typically get all the time. These were the worst I had ever ordered in any restaurant... I think they have great drinks & apps for picking but would not go again for a sit down dinner.... Pluses: Décor was nice inside and out, good for kids, very big place, nice staff.Special Features:
- Yummy Drinks! Not the best food...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013The food was just OK, but the margaritas were great! The only thing that took away from the margaritas was that when they ran out of clean glasses, they started serving them in seemingly smaller plastic cups. Also, the items on the Happy Hour food menu were very limited. The ground beef is oily, and we would like to see a chicken option for non-vegetarians who don't eat red meat. Overall, I highly recommend the frozen margaritas, but would recommend eating before or after going to Santa Fe for drinks.Special Features:
- Great happy hour specialsDrath321Dined on 3/22/2013Great happy hour specials and delicious food. The best place to sit outside with a margarita on a nice day!Special Features:
- We had a reservation and arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013We had a reservation and arrived early and checked in with the hostess. After sitting at the bar for 35 minutes I got up to check on our table and the hostess said she didn't know that we arrived. Once we got seated the waitress wasn't much better. She kept disappearing when we needed something. All the staff was college kids. Food was decent but probably won't go back.
- Really great service! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/2/2013Really great service! Very professional staff, cozy restaurant, and most important very tasty food! The mole sauce was notable and the "skinny" margarita did not taste "skinny"....great portion sizes too..recommend!Special Features:
- Not the best service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013I was very excited to visit Santa Fe after hearing good reviews for it from friends. I had a party of 8 for my birthday and hoped it would be an awesome experience. The waiter seem uninterested in being there. As friends arrived, the hostess told them they didn't have a table under my party name. Although the drinks were good, especially the margaritas, the food was not something to be raved about. It was just typical Mexican fare, of which I've had much better. When our meals came out, 7 came out, leaving the last person to wait for 10mins until their dish came. The waiter didn't apologize or try to act like he cared. Overall, I probably won't go back to eat there, but may return for happy hour and hope the staff at the bar is competent.
- thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant. the best Mexican food at a great price that I have had in Delaware. staff courteous, friendly, and outgoing. my wife and I had a great time.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012Very good food and our server was very good with my young nephews too.Special Features:
- Fun, good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2012Really good-though don't take the table near the front door...like eating in a subway station!Special Features:
- Not bad, but we have definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Not bad, but we have definitely had better experiences at other locations on Main Street in Newark.Special Features:
- Would not choose this placeSusanlVIPDined on 8/4/2012Would not choose this place again. It might be nice for happy hour. They also made my open table reservation a no show so that had to be corrected. The food was very bland no spices at all. You would get better Mexican at Taco Bell.
- Love the food and are regulars...seOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/19/2012Love the food and are regulars...service can be up and down and noise with college kids is VERY annoying!Special Features:
- The tables are too close togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012The tables are too close together and the noise level was way too high. Unable to carry on a decent conversation with the person sitting next to me. Was unable to talk to the person sitting right across from me. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- We love this place! DownsideOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/25/2012We love this place! Downside is college kids... Not the fault of the restaurant , but does affect dining!Special Features:
- Delish!! The only bad thingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012Delish!! The only bad thing about this place was having to choose between so many great options/entrees:-)Special Features:
- When we arrived we we're toldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2012When we arrived we we're told by the hostess that they didn't really talk reservations which was annoying ended up waiting about 10min for a table, and they don't have a waiting area so we were basically standing in the door way. After we got seated our waitress was very good so that's a plus. The food is so so, not really great, but not bad. The Paella however is not Paella, it just Mexican red rice with seafood added. The ambiance is crowded and noisy basically like a bar. Will probably try the one in Wilmington in the future to see if it's a little more restaurant like.Special Features: