73 West 71st Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.santafe71.com/
- Phone: 2127240822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jose Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties available pending negotiation. Call and ask to speak with Alex.
A word from Santa Fe
Santa Fe has been an Upper West-side staple for over 25 years. Featuring Southwestern Classics, Contemporary Mexican Cuisine and the best Margaritas in town, we strive to provide every one of our guests with a comfortable, delicious and friendly dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican / Southwestern
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Santa Fe - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Santa Fe reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 8/9/2014We love to sit in the friendly bar area. Delicious grapefruit margaritas! and we enjoyed the trout and steak fajitasSpecial Features:
- Delicious!imameyerhoffDined on 8/2/2014I've lived in the neighborhood for years and just tried this place for dinner on a Saturday night. The food was SO good. For the price though, they should offer better ingredients - organic or natural or wild salmon, not the farmed kind. I was there for a date night and, unfortunately, there were a lot of kids there, but thank goodness they were well-behaved. I will be back though, not a lot of mexican food options in the hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming...upperwesteaterDined on 8/2/2014I was a bit disappointed with this place. The food was bland at best and the service was pretty poor (our waiter seemed very put out with simple requests). It's really close to me so I was hoping we found a new place to go to when Rosa Mexicano is booked up but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- All Around FantasticdineitDined on 7/26/2014Managers and staff are amazing! Food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/23/2014It is always worthwhile coming here for the good food and excellent margaritas. Service, however, is usually hit or miss. More servers are really needed to make it better. Portions and prices are pretty fair so all in all a good choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Great place. Brought friends from out of town and they loved it. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/12/2014because summer days in central park just call out for margaritas, we dined at santa fe for the second time in a week. the food is always good and consistent, this time it went beyond. the salmon special with pipian sauce was as good as anything served at coyote cafe (one of new mexico's uber-standards of southwestern cuisine)Special Features:
- sunshineVIPDined on 7/8/2014always a good quality margarita and good choices for Tex-Mex fare with decent portions and prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?ABG1Dined on 7/5/2014What a pleasant surprise. Always thought that this was a small bar. The back dining room was very nice and the food exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 7/5/2014we decided that Saturday was the perfect summer evening to sip margaritas at the bar of Santa Fe. I tried the blood orange, which was nice and tart (not gooey and sweet as flavored margaritas tend to be). The crab cakes and steak fajitas were delicious too!Special Features:
- Nice surpriseHollyYDined on 7/4/2014Great little restaurant in our neighborhood. Lovely staff, nice food and a back dining area separate from bar helped noise level. Will def go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennethDined on 6/27/2014Great as a pre-Lincoln Center destination for dinner. Tasty food delivered efficiently and attentive wait staff. I enjoyed the wine which was reasonably priced by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Again!MikeVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our most recent visit to Santa Fe was very pleasant. Good drinks, good food and great Margarita's! We like this spot for dinner before a show at Lincoln Center. The staff is very welcoming and the service always spot on. My favorite dish is Shrimp Chipolte which I enjoyed this past Friday evening. My wife enjoyed the short ribs of beef in a soft taco. We will be happy to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Southwestern Gem!diniVIPDined on 6/26/2014Santa Fe is just plain fun...great margaritas, exciting bar scene, where "everybody knows your name", excellent southwestern food at reasonable prices, and accoustics that allow you to hear your dining companions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsgnchickVIPDined on 6/21/2014I enjoy coming to Santa Fe whenever I am in the neighborhood, I especially love the huge pork chop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF was a special treatUWSfavsDined on 6/17/2014Totally fortuitous and delightful selection: We (living on West 73rd St) just celebrated my wife's 71st birthday (with Italian and British guests) by selecting a neighborhood restaurant on West 71st St. with Santa Fe at 73 W 71st being perfect. To our delight, Sante Fe provided to be a superior restaurant to which we will return ourselves and with guests. We enjoyed range of menu, especially crab cakes; with responsive and informed waiters and an eating area that was delightfully decorated and delightfully quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Casual Mother's Day DinnerMojesuDined on 5/11/2014Had an early (6.30 pm) Mother's Day dinner at Santa Fe. Nice, casual, good service, good food, good margaritas. Easy going - worked for the kids and the parents. My star rating is based on combo of food/ambiance/service and price point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placeParker705VIPDined on 5/10/2014Interesting Southwestern menu wonderful margaritas. Not the prettiest place, but comfortable. Excellent service.Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Santa Fe reviews archive.
- Magaritas are amazing!AdmansdadDined on 4/17/2014Best margaritas I've had anywhere. Food is also great...I strongly recommend the Yucatan Chicken. I've been 5-6 times now, and will return again.Special Features:
- Always good food/great margaritaswestsiderVIPDined on 4/16/2014One of our favorite neighborhood places to eat. Food is always good and at reasonable prices. Good margaritas.Special Features:
- Great Prices and AtmospherekkfoodieDined on 4/11/2014Our party was looking for something affordable AND good food. We found that at Sante Fe. Our waitress was very helpful and nice. If we visit New York City again, we will definitely visit Sante Fe again.Special Features:
- Good basic southwestern foodSJR1VIPDined on 4/2/2014Food was OK, service was polite but slow at times. Good place to go for a basic meal but nothing that knocks your socks off. We had the Guacamole, Tortilla Soup, Chimichangas and Banana pudding. Crowd seems to be a bunch of regulars that have gone there for a long time. There weren't many people in there below 65. My girlfriend left her phone on the table and realized it was missing about 30-45 mins after we left. Surprisingly, it wasn't stolen. The staff located it and held it for me at the front until I could get there to pick it up. Kudos to them.
- ConfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2014Santa Fe is one of those comfortable restaurants we love. Always greeted warmly by Alex and all the waitstaff that we have come to know. Ellie is our fav! Food is dependable and they are always willing to make changes. Brunch is surprisingly good. Fajitas and hamburger is our go to.Special Features:
- Still the BEST Margaritas!diniVIPDined on 3/4/2014This little gem just off Columbus Avenue still has the best margaritas in town...the food is excellent, the service, sublime. I just love it for lunch or dinner!! And it is so nice to be able to have a civil conversation without loud music blaring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beTuRKyDined on 3/1/2014There was a day when people would kill to get into Sante Fe - now they are dying to leave!
- Great diningBuckmanDined on 3/1/2014Went here prior to a Lincoln Center performance. Quick friendly service and food enjoyed by all four.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2014We love this restaurant for our 'tex mex' fix. The guacamole is delicious and so is the tortilla soup. A great option are the fish taco app as a meal - really good. I recommend this place, but the service can be hit or miss depending on how many large groups are there, and how well the particular server handles it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I've been to this restaurant a few times now and each time is better than the last. I ordered the crab cakes which tasted fresh and were paired perfectly with a smoky tomato sauce. The Valentine's day special pomegranate margarita was delicious. Service was great. No complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indigestion and dirty floors!Jar2Dined on 2/8/2014I wanted to walk out almost as soon as I walked in. Floors were dirty and decor was unappealing. The salsa and chips they served were passable, but meager. The food was like a bad fast food restaurant. I couldn't find the steak in a steak enchilada. The salt level in the tortilla soup had to rival the Atlantic! The servers were nice but they didn't have much to work with. Stick with chipotle.
- Great Southwestern CuisineLaurenDined on 1/31/2014Everything about Santa Fe was good; we were seated immediately upon arrival, and our server arrived at our table immediately, with great salsa and chips, to take our drink order. Our food came piping hot and exactly as we ordered (a few special requests were taken care of) and it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we were there on a frigidpdg123VIPDined on 1/26/2014we were there on a frigid night and it was empty. quiet. food delicious.
- Comfortable, consistentlyLanieVIPDined on 1/22/2014Comfortable, consistently good, neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Margaritas on the planet & ...MapPetalDined on 1/12/2014Best Margaritas on the planet & the guacamole is always excellent. Love the Skirt Steak Fajitas. We had requested a particular table and it was waiting for us when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad moment, drink or meal.AndrewVIPDined on 1/10/2014We are regulars and keep coming back. Drinks are terrific and the food consistent, flavorful, and fresh. Service is great. A neighborhood jem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bueno, bonitoJuanTwoThreeDined on 1/10/2014Very good, authentic Mexican food that is delicately spiced. Having extensive experience eating Mexician food I recommend Santa Fe con todo me alma.Special Features:
- always reliable with excellentsunshineVIPDined on 1/10/2014always reliable with excellent margaritas, tasty fare and good service at reasonable prices and goodly sized portions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2014ok neighborhood southwestern/mexican fare though nothing special
- Still delicious after all these yeaOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/10/2014My first revisit in a decade or more. Food reasonably priced and absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- a fine neighborhood restaurantLor3181VIPDined on 1/4/2014Consistently good. with a wide variety of choices. We always look forward to eating thereSpecial Features:
- low keyfrancisDined on 12/31/2013Had the spinach salad and steak and carrot cake. Food was good, no complaints. Not a foodie place, but the atmosphere was very nice, with plenty of space around tables and a charming decor. The real standout at Santa Fe was the staff, who were excellent and attentive and sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.