Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
201 Waikoloa Beach Drive Suite 801
Queen's Market Place
Waikoloa, HI 96738Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 8088866286
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Lutey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Custom catering. Please call the restaurant at 808-886-6286. Ask for Tom Alejado, General Manager.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room will seat up to 26 people. There is a minimum food and beverage sales for the use of the private room. Please inquire with Tom Alejado, General Manager.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Alejado 8088866286
- Entertainment: Friday Nights - Free Karaoke from 9:30pm to 12:00pm Saturday Nights - Live Music from 9:30pm to 12:00pm Must be 21 years or older with valid I.D.. 50% off Appetizers & Sushi items Special Bar Drink Prices
- Cross Street: Queen Kaahumanu Hwy
- Public Transit: There is a resort shuttle bus that travels throughout the Waikoloa Resort area, drop off and pick up area at the Queens Marketplace shopping center. There is a minimal fee for shuttle rides.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: General Parking at the front or back area of the Queens Marketplace Shopping Center.
A word from Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
Sansei, meaning third generation, is a locally owned contemporary Japanese Restaurant offering new wave sushi. The force behind the food is Chef/Owner Dave "DK" Kodama. An Oahu native, he is fearless when it comes to flavors and one of the most adventurous chefs you will meet. At Sansei he has combined his Japanese heritage with Hawaii's incredible ethnic mix and flavors he experienced in his travels to create a New Wave Sushi. Japanese-inspired Pacific Rim, Contemporary Japanese type of cuisine. Call it whatever you like, what you will taste are the unique combinations of flavors and textures.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii - Best Restaurants in Waikoloa ›
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)good for groups (30)special occasion (28)neighborhood gem (25)kid-friendly (24)hot spot (14)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dinner at Sansei'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We had dinner with friends visiting from the mainland. Atmosphere was perfect for our group, food was so delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another birthday celebrationkohaladonahDined on 9/16/2014We've now been to Sansei to celebrate my birthday, my husband's birthday and now my cousin's birthday. As ever, great food, great service, and wonderful creme brulee for the birthday person. So much better than cake!Special Features:
- Excellent fusion foodRimz808Dined on 9/14/2014Had a great experience here. Lots of food to chose from; sushi, seafood, meat, poultry, dessert, wine. Wonderful, flavorful, fusion type food. If you normally like something and want to try it with a bit of a twist to it, this will be the perfect place. Food came out in a timely manner and quality was outstanding. All left with a satisfied smile on our faces. Definitely a place to take for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsDevineserviceDined on 9/13/2014The food was great! We loved the sweet potato fries - so crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Our server was so nice, friendly and very efficient!Special Features:
- Sansei Is Calling...RomaDined on 8/26/2014Sansei is located in a somewhat upscale shopping center, so the surround is nothing to write home about unless you live in Akron or feel compelled to shop for expensive luggage during the dinner hour. But there's an elegant bar and attentive service. My sushi combo was quite good but not a miracle of freshness--I think they use farmed salmon--but my companion's panko-crusted 7-oz filet was delicious--crisp and smooth as butter. A cheerful, busy place that serves the resort crowd well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushiSSYAVIPDined on 8/23/2014love the happy hour pricing. takes really long to be seated, though. even with an Open Table reservation.Special Features:
- The winner with the tasty sauceshappyfoodDined on 8/22/2014Panko ahi sushi a great choice. Tasty sauces for the lobster shrimp ravioli and Panko seared ahi sushi that later went onto the white rice for the salmon and shrimp entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy patronsalohagirlDined on 8/15/2014Sushi list was awesome, and excellent, portions were right sized. Service excellent, even though the place was very busy we were seated 10 minutes early. The only problem was a group of about a dozen men, drinking heavily who were very loud, laughing and talking . I complained to the waitress who said she could d o nothing about them, as we were leaving I approached the manager with my concerns. He apologized and said he would cut them off. I said the police should be called as they obviously shouldn't be driving, but he though they were staying at a nearby resort. I think there were Japanese tourists. I should have been more forceful with the waitress when I first complained and asked to see the manager, in the future I will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanseiJJSjrDined on 8/11/2014Great local restaurant walking distance from either the Hilton or Marriott resorts at Waikoloa. The staff and food are outstanding, a real value for the money. A definite repeat restaurant for our group when we are in Waikoloa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Experiencehawaii808Dined on 8/9/2014My waitress ignored me the whole night asked my friends if they wanted anything to drink besides water & did not bother to ask me. I was done with my plates, she grabbed everyone else's one on the table & left mines. Mind you we did not get along in the past so that explains why I was poorly serviced. I have never received TERRIBLE service in a restaraunt EVER. She was a terrible server! There's a time & place for everything & I honestly didn't think she'd would act that way at work. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL if her.Special Features:
- Best Japanese food!DomoArigato4Dined on 8/6/2014We are a Japanese American family of four. For our tastes, we love the combination of traditional Japanese and creative Pacific Rim sushi items that Sansei has on their extensive menu. When we come to Hawaii for vacation, it is the first restaurant we look for. The Open Table reservation system was great for confirming and even changing reservations on the go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and DeliciousAAAJJJJJJVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best sushi I have experienced in Hawaii with a great ambiance!Special Features:
- Must visit when on Kona!ButterfishformeDined on 8/1/2014The food is nothing short of incredible. Start out with the Miso Butterfish and make sure you try the pano crusted ahi roll. We visit the big island every year and eat at this restaurant 2-3 times while we are here. The food and service are both excellent (we like Patrick).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant.AsianDiner3Dined on 7/29/2014Great food. Reasonable pricing for what you get. Good value. Friendly staff. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- socks still on...WowedDined on 7/27/2014first time here. seated by the restrooms, moved to a better table. food tasted good. sushi tasted great. dynamite shrimp is the bomb. we got there as happy hour was ending, I'd book a little later next time so the staff can recover. our waiter was great his bus boy rudely brought our food to us. apps great, sushi great, entrees not so much, I had the duck breast, my wife the miso butterfish. tasty but lacked visual appeal. dynamite shrimp was the bomb.
- Sunsei is awesomeSTCoachDined on 7/26/2014Great food. Fast service. Popular with locals and tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Made reservations, still had to wait another 10 minutes for a table. Did not seem like they were organized and knew what was going on. The people in our group that ordered sushi got their food before those that ordered an entree so we all ate at different times. The food and service seemed substandard for the type of restaurant this is.
- For the whole familyWaltDined on 7/20/2014Our group consisted of 10 family members on vacation in Hawaii. The menu satisfied everyone, from the kids through the adults. Even the people that don't like sushi expressed that their meal was excellent. The wait staff was friendly and informative. I am handicapped and I really appreciate the staffs accommodation. I felt at home. We had two meals at this restaurant, and both were excellent.Special Features:
- Live2eatDined on 7/18/2014All dishes were very tasty. Enjoyed the atmosphere which feels relaxed but also has an elegant feel. Really enjoyed every moment of our dining experience. This is where we'd like to dine for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodREBELDDined on 7/11/2014Waitress on 7/11/14 was superb. Attentive as well as informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opening rushLuv2eatDined on 7/5/2014Although your food taste and presentation, service and ambiance is really good I did notice that the opening rush caused a lower temperature in our soup and steak. Our beautiful server although attentive seemed hastened and not cheery but a bit overwhelmed probably by so many work given her way at opening time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014No waiting for our reserveration even when we got there early. Service was awesome as was the food. The early bird discount was so appreciated!! Will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- Awesome!YummygirlDined on 7/4/2014The food, drinks and service were awesome.. Can't wait to go back! Dreaming of the food, it was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise, SurpriseOhanaDined on 6/27/2014Went to Sansei and the food was excellent. Everything we tried was delicious and prepared to perfection. Will definitely return for more when we're in the Big Island.Special Features:
- Sushi on KonaFrisbeeDined on 6/26/2014This place is in a shopping area just below the best beach for sunsets on the island . Being sushi lovers like my wife and I we thought that the sushi was Very Good , some of the items we ordered were special items from the chefs own menu. I highly recommend this for the sushi lover . Also if you have someone that doesn't like sushi they have dry aged steaks made from island grown beef.Special Features:
- Great dinnerSSssDined on 6/26/2014Have never been disappointed with a meal at Sansei.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DonnaVIPDined on 6/25/2014Dining here was great! Really really great food, and loved the wine and Saki flights!Special Features:
- Delicious sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Really interesting different types of sushi which are specialities of the house alongside old favourites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, bad foodHates2CookVIPDined on 6/20/2014We took a group of 8 to Sansei on a local's recommendation. The 4 who got sushi were very happy, the 4 who did not got sushi were very unhappy. The "regular" food was on par with airplane food - just not good at all, no flavor, funny tasting meat, looked like it was a frozen dinner warmed up adn served. The server was very nice and friendly but it didn't make up for the food. If you are just having sushi, great. If someone wants tempura or Udon or chicken, go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Beautiful eveningClynnDined on 6/14/2014Everything was delicious but portions too small for price . My only complaintSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeLuv2eatDined on 6/14/2014Took husband here for Father's Day meal and he loved it! Our two small children also enjoyed the food. The waitress gave excellent service and handled our children with great care. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as AlwaysfooddudeVIPDined on 6/13/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Consistently good food and service. Will be back!Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/2/2014Service was a little off. Not real friendly, timing on the food delivery was off, just ok. That said the food was pretty good, but there are better options on the island.Special Features:
- Amazing sushiAddieDined on 5/29/2014Best sushi we've had in a long time!! Staff were great! Sat at sushi bar and talked with sushi chef. Had the Godzilla roll on the specials menu! TO DIE FOR! Highly recommend this place! Still dreaming about the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sansei always a good choice!jeanyDined on 5/23/2014We return to Sansei for their great choice of appetizers. Their Sushi rolls, Agedashi & Miso Yaki Chicken are the best! The quality of the Teriyaki Beef was not as good as usual our most recent visit, although the sauce was excellent.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii reviews archive.
- Sushi dinnerSuzyDined on 5/21/2014We went to Sansei in Waikoloa after eating at the one in Maui about 4 years ago. It was as good as the first time. The waitress was very friendly and helpful and she was extremely busy.. We will go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food.DuchessDined on 5/19/2014Excellent sushi, nice variety of choices. Early bird discount is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.RaybotoDined on 5/17/2014Read many reviews claiming this place has the best sushi ever, etc. Was pretty standard, sub par, sushi. Completely overpriced for what it is. Not necessarily bad, just not really great. Maybe it was a bad night for the chef? Regardless, I'd say drive into Kona and look for some real, quality, appropriately priced food.
- Outstanding restaurantLive2eatDined on 5/17/2014The food here was outstanding--very tasty. The panko crusted sushi has an awesome sauce which I wanted to put on everything so I could use all of it--no wasting!!! The Japanese calamari salad was very refreshing and I loved the greens that were in it. Everything was very tasty and over the top. Our server and all wait help was very friendly and on top of all orders--service was exceptionally fast. Really enjoyed every moment. Would like to see a few more items on the kids menu like some burgers and regular teriyaki beef or fried chicken. This would definitely be somewhere we would like to dine for special occasions and try all the different choices on their wide selection of items (would like to dine more often but a bit expensive)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/15/2014Great nigiri sushi and rolls. Generous portions, reasonable prices. Very imaginative rolls. Overall terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.