Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
201 Waikoloa Beach Drive Suite 801
Queen's Market Place
Waikoloa, HI 96738Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: (808) 886-6286
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Lutey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Custom catering. Please call the restaurant at 808-886-6286. Ask for Tom Alejado, General Manager.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room will seat up to 26 people. There is a minimum food and beverage sales for the use of the private room. Please inquire with Tom Alejado, General Manager.
- Private Party Contact: Tom Alejado 8088866286
- Entertainment: Friday Nights - Free Karaoke from 9:30pm to 12:00pm Saturday Nights - Live Music from 9:30pm to 12:00pm Must be 21 years or older with valid I.D.. 50% off Appetizers & Sushi items Special Bar Drink Prices
- Cross Street: Queen Kaahumanu Hwy
- Public Transit: There is a resort shuttle bus that travels throughout the Waikoloa Resort area, drop off and pick up area at the Queens Marketplace shopping center. There is a minimal fee for shuttle rides.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: General Parking at the front or back area of the Queens Marketplace Shopping Center.
A word from Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii
Sansei, meaning third generation, is a locally owned contemporary Japanese Restaurant offering new wave sushi. The force behind the food is Chef/Owner Dave "DK" Kodama. An Oahu native, he is fearless when it comes to flavors and one of the most adventurous chefs you will meet. At Sansei he has combined his Japanese heritage with Hawaii's incredible ethnic mix and flavors he experienced in his travels to create a New Wave Sushi. Japanese-inspired Pacific Rim, Contemporary Japanese type of cuisine. Call it whatever you like, what you will taste are the unique combinations of flavors and textures.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii - Best Restaurants in Waikoloa ›
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKOLOA, Hawaii reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (28)special occasion (25)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (21)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)Show More
- RobijVIPDined on 11/15/2014Big menu and excellent preparation make this a must eat at spot. Service was spot on. Water glass was never more than half empty. Awesome specials and something to eat for everyone. Sushi very fresh and the pork chop my friend had was delicious. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014The menu was limited and it was pricey for what you get.
- Great Japan FoodRonGDined on 11/11/2014This is one of our favorite spots on the big island. The food is consistently second to none and the service has always been great. I would give "ambiance" another star if it wasn't for the bright lights behind the bottles in the bar.Special Features:
- Great choice in Waikoloa!HiloboyDined on 11/10/2014Sansei has good sushi, a good location, with great service. Our server Courtney, was great! She was very friendly, easy to understand, and very knowlegeable. We were seated on time and the food was prepared and served quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better sushi than mostRebolishVIPDined on 11/8/2014This was probably the best sushi on the island but that doesn't really say much as it was just okay. We are probably pickier than most though because we are from the Pacific Northwest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BombLuciellaDined on 11/7/2014That's what our kids used to say for a Never-Fail. If there is a negative, it may be that the menu is too complex for sushi-beginners. But the menu is a happy surprise for sushi habitues who are thrilled to find FOIE GRAS on the menu? Astonishing, in fact. The approach includes a version of the Dim Sum "Honey Walnut Prawn" without the walnuts plus some heat. Yum-my! Yes, it is a chain, and perhaps there is a bit too much spicy mayo thrown about, but the quality of the sashimi told the story. Great service (Wolfie, tchuus!) and kindness to physically challenged patrons we saw cared for in Ohana mode. Go back? Next week!Special Features:
- Sansei is always a winner!jeanyDined on 11/5/2014We share a different selection of Japanese plates including California rolls, Misoyaki chicken, Edamame, Aspargus tempura, Agedashi, & other tempura or sautéed vegetables - they also have great sweet potato fries! The food is fresh & nicely presented. We have never had a dish that was not excellent & the price for this type of meal is very reasonable compared to many other places in Waikoloa.Special Features:
- great fresh sushibuckeyegirlVIPDined on 11/3/2014Great service and very fresh local fish. Nice large menuSpecial Features:
- Waikoloa Shusi and Japanese CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2014This is a very good restaurant if you like sushi and Japanese food. There is an extensive menu.Special Features:
- Amazing sushiSyrorangeVIPDined on 10/31/2014Amazing fresh sushi, excellent staff, reasonable prices considering the location (cheaper than sushi at the Waikolea resorts, but like going out for sushi in a major metro area of the continental US), had kids menu with kid food, went twice in 1 week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QqqueVIPDined on 10/25/2014Himachi was very fresh, Panko crusted Ahi always a favorite. Service friendly and efficient. Prefer sushi bar; upcharge for sushi bar items when sushi bar not available is not repeat customer freiendly. Have been ordering same dish for years and to pay more at table for item seems short sided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great when you get itLuciellaDined on 10/24/2014Everything was beautiful and delicious but arrival of ordered items was odd. This is sushi, not a plate of meat and spuds with veg on the side plunked on the table. The most extravagant rolls arrived in no time; the California Roll and a smoked salmon with cream cheese for our non-sushi diner arrived long after all the other items were consumed. Mac and cheese for the 5 year-old took 25 minutes, and yes, it was on the menu. Perhaps those should have been ordered first? Or they had to run to the Safeway for ingredients as they may be rarely ordered? Of course, we will go again, but knowing to ask for the commonplace before the exotic. Torched foie gras nigiri sushi to die for! Spicy pinkie-sized shrimp fried up like honey walnut prawns! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Sansei was listed as Fine Dining in one resort guide. It is much more casual that fine dining. The ambience and noise level was much more indicative of a casual restaurant. The food was very good.
- DisapointingRobertHDined on 10/23/2014I've dined at Sansei on Maui twice in the past and had an excellent experience. This location fell far short of excellent and was barely good. I made a reservation and upon arrival stood in line with all the other guests who didn't have reservations, not a big deal but why make a reservation if you have to wait. The food was good not up to the level of my prior experience. Through out entire meal the service was rushed.no sooner did we finish a plate and it was swept off the table once I had to ask for it back as I wasn't done. Clearly they were more interested in turning tables than providing a memorable experience. If you are looking to pay top dollar and have a fair to ok experience this is a good choice.
- We loved it.LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/19/2014On our recent trip to Hawaii we ate at some wonderful restaurants but I must say (with some surprise to me) that Sansei ranked among the top. Located in a shopping mall in Waikaloa, we decided to try it because we wanted a quick meal close to our hotel. The food was great! We liked it so much we went back the next day and again, we were not disappointed. If you're looking for ambiance and a wonderful view, go elsewhere. If you're looking for good food at a reasonable price, Sancei is your place. I only wish it was closer to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014This place serves fantastic food in generous portions for a reasonable price. It's all served family style so it's fun to get several appetizers (or pupus as they are called in Hawaii) and share with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better experience @ Maui siteGot2floDined on 10/12/2014The last roll was the best: Dragon Roll. The others were just ok. The lobster & crab ravioli was pretty tasty. We stayed at the Hilton Waikiloa so the restaurant was conveniently located & less pricy than the Japanese resort restaurant Imari (which we didn't try). If I went back to The Big Island, I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Very noisy but good foodCharlaDined on 10/10/2014We made a reservation and had to wait just a few minutes to be seated. Unfortunately in the booth behind us was a family with screaming kids and inconsiderate parents who made no attempt to quiet the kids. Thank goodness they left when we were about halfway through our meal. Our server was very friendly and me some excellent menu recommendations.Special Features:
- sushi and steakTerri808Dined on 10/10/2014My bf had the 22 oz aged steak which he almost ate all which was surprising. He said it was really good. I loved the lobster ravioli appetizer. Wish I ordered another. I ordered a spider roll. Wanna come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MferVIPDined on 10/8/2014Had to go early and watched the staff handle the early bird special crunch with grace. Sushi was good. The main courses of very fresh fish with just enough sides hit the spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A TOP Find!!outalotDined on 10/6/2014Food and service put this Seafood, Steak and Sushi restaurant in our all time top 10. Food preparation is superb. The lobster, ahi tuna and salmon were of particular note. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualKenshiro808Dined on 10/4/2014Still one of the best restaurants on the Big Island. Had the Issei Sushi Combo. Fresh and tasty. Tried the "Butterfry" roll for the first time. My Wife and I both liked it. The ponzu shoyu matches well. My Wife had the 7 oz Filet (her favorite) and of course finished things off with the Apple Tart. My Wife usually doesn't like any dessert that doesn't include chocolate, so it says something that she likes to go to Sansei specifically for the Apple Tart.Special Features:
- Sansei - WaikiloaSarahLVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food was awesome, including sushi and 7oz. filet (one of the best I've ever had - seriously and I've traveled for over 20 years). Service was also awesome! They had everything needed except decaf coffee with dessert.Special Features:
- Outstanding...as usual.KawikaDined on 9/30/2014We have eaten here each time that we have visited the Big Island (at least 5 times). This restaurant has consistently maintained the quality of its food and service...we have never been disappointed! The sashimi, sushi rolls and individual dishes are very tasty and presented well. Kudos to all the staff and management!!Special Features:
- WowCaynerVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food - amazing! The service was equally as good.... we can't wait to make this part of our regular stops when we returnSpecial Features:
- a must stopLovefoodDined on 9/26/2014A must stop for Sushi! Panko Crusted Ahi... Shrimp Dynamite... Yummm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Sansei'shapahaole410Dined on 9/18/2014We had dinner with friends visiting from the mainland. Atmosphere was perfect for our group, food was so delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another birthday celebrationkohaladonahDined on 9/16/2014We've now been to Sansei to celebrate my birthday, my husband's birthday and now my cousin's birthday. As ever, great food, great service, and wonderful creme brulee for the birthday person. So much better than cake!Special Features:
- Excellent fusion foodRimz808Dined on 9/14/2014Had a great experience here. Lots of food to chose from; sushi, seafood, meat, poultry, dessert, wine. Wonderful, flavorful, fusion type food. If you normally like something and want to try it with a bit of a twist to it, this will be the perfect place. Food came out in a timely manner and quality was outstanding. All left with a satisfied smile on our faces. Definitely a place to take for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsDevineserviceDined on 9/13/2014The food was great! We loved the sweet potato fries - so crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Our server was so nice, friendly and very efficient!Special Features:
- Sansei Is Calling...RomaDined on 8/26/2014Sansei is located in a somewhat upscale shopping center, so the surround is nothing to write home about unless you live in Akron or feel compelled to shop for expensive luggage during the dinner hour. But there's an elegant bar and attentive service. My sushi combo was quite good but not a miracle of freshness--I think they use farmed salmon--but my companion's panko-crusted 7-oz filet was delicious--crisp and smooth as butter. A cheerful, busy place that serves the resort crowd well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushiSSYAVIPDined on 8/23/2014love the happy hour pricing. takes really long to be seated, though. even with an Open Table reservation.Special Features:
- The winner with the tasty sauceshappyfoodDined on 8/22/2014Panko ahi sushi a great choice. Tasty sauces for the lobster shrimp ravioli and Panko seared ahi sushi that later went onto the white rice for the salmon and shrimp entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy patronsalohagirlDined on 8/15/2014Sushi list was awesome, and excellent, portions were right sized. Service excellent, even though the place was very busy we were seated 10 minutes early. The only problem was a group of about a dozen men, drinking heavily who were very loud, laughing and talking . I complained to the waitress who said she could d o nothing about them, as we were leaving I approached the manager with my concerns. He apologized and said he would cut them off. I said the police should be called as they obviously shouldn't be driving, but he though they were staying at a nearby resort. I think there were Japanese tourists. I should have been more forceful with the waitress when I first complained and asked to see the manager, in the future I will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SanseiJJSjrDined on 8/11/2014Great local restaurant walking distance from either the Hilton or Marriott resorts at Waikoloa. The staff and food are outstanding, a real value for the money. A definite repeat restaurant for our group when we are in Waikoloa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Experiencehawaii808Dined on 8/9/2014My waitress ignored me the whole night asked my friends if they wanted anything to drink besides water & did not bother to ask me. I was done with my plates, she grabbed everyone else's one on the table & left mines. Mind you we did not get along in the past so that explains why I was poorly serviced. I have never received TERRIBLE service in a restaraunt EVER. She was a terrible server! There's a time & place for everything & I honestly didn't think she'd would act that way at work. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL if her.Special Features:
- Best Japanese food!DomoArigato4Dined on 8/6/2014We are a Japanese American family of four. For our tastes, we love the combination of traditional Japanese and creative Pacific Rim sushi items that Sansei has on their extensive menu. When we come to Hawaii for vacation, it is the first restaurant we look for. The Open Table reservation system was great for confirming and even changing reservations on the go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and DeliciousAAAJJJJJJVIPDined on 8/3/2014Best sushi I have experienced in Hawaii with a great ambiance!Special Features:
- Must visit when on Kona!ButterfishformeDined on 8/1/2014The food is nothing short of incredible. Start out with the Miso Butterfish and make sure you try the pano crusted ahi roll. We visit the big island every year and eat at this restaurant 2-3 times while we are here. The food and service are both excellent (we like Patrick).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant.AsianDiner3Dined on 7/29/2014Great food. Reasonable pricing for what you get. Good value. Friendly staff. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.