Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
2552 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815-3662Neighborhood:
Contemporary AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dkrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 8089316286
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm.
Late Night: Friday - Saturday: 10:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian
- Executive Chef: JJ Reinhart
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off property caterings and private dinners from 20-200 covers. Plated or buffet style.
- Private Party Facilities: Intimate Private Dining Room that can accomodate up to 22 people. Set menus or ala carte from our menu.
- Private Party Contact: Ivy Nagayama 8089316286
- Entertainment: Free Karaoke on Friday Nights for 21+, 10pm-1am Open Mic Night on Saturday Nights for 21+, 10pm-1am 50% off Sushi & Appetizers & Drink Specials
A word from Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu
Sansei, meaning third generation, is a locally owned contemporary Japanese Restaurant offering new wave sushi. The force behind the food is Chef/Owner Dave "DK" Kodama. An Oahu native, he is fearless when it comes to flavors and one of the most adventurous chefs you will meet. At Sansei, he has combined his Japanese heritage with Hawai'i's incredible ethnic mix and the flavors he experienced in his travels to create a New Wave Sushi, Japanese-inspired Pacific Rim, Contemporary Japanese type of cuisine. Call it whatever you like. What you will taste are unique combinations of flavors and textures.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)scenic view (34)special occasion (26)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (15)romantic (14)notable wine list (13)neighborhood gem (10)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Consistantly great food and service that never lets me down.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedFoodbabyDined on 9/12/2014We made our reservation using open table and got seated right away no waiting outside on the lanai. The ambiance was beautiful especially outside, it's right across from the beach! We could hear the live music from next door. However we ordered a calamari salad and it was basically fried with a super sweet dressing and garnished with wilted greens, not a salad at all. We told our server and she replied "yeah it is sweet and walked off" The dynamite shrimp was good but the south point poke was terrible! We sent it back and asked for our check! We love sushi and are seafood lovers in general and this was not a good representation. However if you're looking for a nice place to have drinks or happy hour then I guess this is the place for you!Special Features:
- definitely will come backnot1ofthosedinersDined on 9/8/2014I dined here with friends on a monday so thankfully it wasn't as busy. the hostess and I believe the manager were very accommodating to the fact that we kept increasing our party, originally from 12 to 17. we got sat maybe a few minutes after our reservation which wasn't a problem. we killed time at the bar on the DK steakhouse side. it was nice when we got sat because they gave us a private room. the server was very friendly and it appeared as though he was also training a server at the same time. although drinks took a little long to get to us, we were very patient knowing how large our party was. my friends kept moving throughout the night therefore we knew 1 check at the end was the easiest way to mitigate any confusion. we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014We were very excited to order sushi in Hawaii and had found this place online with good reviews. We told the server we were going to stick with Sushi rolls and when we received the food it was not all Sushi (even though it was on the Sushi page). It would have been nice if he had let us know. On top of that the food was very salty and the service was very slow. We did however enjoy the outdoor balacony overlooking the beach.Special Features:
- Really disapointedFlet50Dined on 8/10/2014We came back after 4 years and i have to admit that i was really disapointed. Food was only so so : nothing special. Service ok but once again nothing really nice. I won ´t come back.
- Good dinner in waikikiAndidavVIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed our dinner here. The wait staff was really helpful in suggesting dishes. The kitchen is uneven. What I mean is the people behind you can get served 90% of their order and you are still waiting for your sushi. I think other reviews have said the same, but it was very delicious. Just know that ahead of time.mSpecial Features:
- ExcellentcatalaDined on 7/31/2014Great food. Excellent japanese cuisine with a great local touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Food! Check Your RequestsJRinVADined on 7/28/2014We visited a few years back and were looking forward to a repeat visit. We were not disappointed by the food. It was the best seafood I've had in recent memory. Everything is very flavorful and the Opa (Wahoo) I had stands out as the best tasting fish I've ever had. Our server was delightful and attentive and improved the experience. I was disappointed with the hosting, however. We made our reservation at least a week in advance and requested a quiet table away from small children. I even offered to change my dining time to accommodate them. At the host desk, I pointed out a table at the front with 3 small infants and said, "that would not work," and they tried to seat us right next to it! Very poor. Otherwise it would've been 5 stars.Special Features:
- Hawaii traditionAraSDVIPDined on 7/26/2014I start every visit to Hawaii with dinner at Sansei, wherever there is a location. Funny how all my visits end up being great. Reliably good food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great earlybird specialChristySVIPDined on 7/23/2014Yummy sushi and great earlybird special! Our waitress was wonderful and we had a great time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014All of the food is fantastic - truly some of the best in Honolulu. You can't go wrong eating here.Special Features:
- Great sushi and lively atmosphere!food4luvDined on 7/5/2014We were a little skeptical at first bringing our picky 4 yr old to dinner here but we were happy to find an array of dishes he enjoyed...especially sushi! Sansei never disappoints - love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedroroDined on 7/5/2014Most of the items from the online menu that we were looking forward to were not available any longer. We wouldn't have come to the restaurant had we known. Service slow and items came out in fits in spurts so meal time was awkward. We took turns watching each other eat.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Been to sensei in the past and had a great time. This year however was horrible. Sent my meal to another table which actually accepted food they did not order . My wife's meal was served quickly and then my son's meal about 15 min later, my meal never came. Server never acknowledged the error until about 40 min later. At which time I had no desire to eat. We went out for a family dinner, not to watch each other eat our meals separately. They were nice enough to comp the meal but the experience was not worth saving the money. Will not return again.
- ExcellentNALU725Dined on 7/4/2014Very good experience, we had our friend who was a birthday girl.. Our waiter hand them make a special dessert for her, no charge. Good Sushi.. Good timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!GregDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary. The food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodbdubDined on 6/28/2014Always impressed with the large variety of high quality food served at reasonable prices. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sansei is awesome!BuffetDined on 6/25/2014This place never seizes to amaze me. The chefs and sushi chefs know what their doing! On Sunday and Mondays, they give Kamaainas a 30 minute window to eat everything for 50% off the regular menu. Take advantage of this! I like sitting at the sushi counter and watching the food be made.Special Features:
- mauigirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014Always a great experience! Staff is very attentive & accomodating. Service is fast and efficient. Food is FANTASTIC!! Extensive wine list and great prices at bar during Happy Hour. We always look forward to dining here and always look forward to coming back...Special Features:
- Decent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Take advantage of the specials, service was outstanding and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014Delicious food, beautiful view, and very helpful service. We happened to look at wine list online snd were very excited to see some of the wines they had. Unfortunately, their online wine list was outdated. Still had good wines, but not what we expected. The only other downside was listening to the loud music from the restaurant across the street. Otherwise, this experience was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJgehDined on 6/8/2014Good Sushi and other specialties. Lobster and crab Ravioli are definitely recommendable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi in WaikikiluvcfoodDined on 6/6/2014Great little seafood restaurant overlooking beach with nice outside balcony dining. Wonderful special sushi creations with unique flavors.Special Features:
- superior servicesushiloveDined on 6/5/2014Our waitress Brittany was outstanding! She assured out experience was entertaining and also knowledgeable. We sure put her to the test. She knew about all the dishes, fish, and preparation details. Her advice was great because our dishes were delicious! Sansei has a gem with Brittany@Special Features:
- Great Food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014This is the second time we've been there. We were there for the 25% off early bird special and the food and service was great as always. I always order the lobster pasta but they no longer serve it. If you're staying in Waikiki, is a must. Reservations recommended at least a day in advance.Special Features:
- Sanseidiner2Dined on 6/2/2014The servings were somewhat small, but oishi. The service was excellent. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We sat outside so the noise did not bother us. Not sure about the ambience in the restaurant. We viewed the scenic beach front. Would like to try your 50% off deal. WOW! Heard the lines are long, though.Special Features:
- Yummy!EeapmjDined on 5/31/2014Fresh fish prepared in so many amazing ways! If you love sushi this is Must. We go every year we visit Waikiki!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hourKOJO518Dined on 5/27/2014Best happy hour sushi joint around!!! Great fresh food, excellent prices during happy hour.Special Features:
- da bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014killa fried oysters and dumplings, had to have 2 orders - and then the best sushi we've ever hadSpecial Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - WAIKIKI, Oahu reviews archive.
- Sushi on WaikikiDDubsVIPDined on 5/17/2014First time dining in Sansei Oahu, we are frequent diners at the Sansei restaurants on Maui, and we were pleasantly surprised to find all our go-to favorites, the miso-marinated butterfish, the Sansei roll (crab roll) and ahi salad.Special Features:
- A must for variety of food.foodloverDined on 5/17/2014So many varieties of sushi to choose from and all very good. From presentation to taste. Our server let us order a 30 day dry aged rib eye from DK steak next door. But when we wanted more food (5-6 more orders) we had to find her. Every time she passed us she kept walking with out scanning her tables and had to ask couple other servers to find her. I will give that she had to train another server but still but accomplish checking her tables. Other than that we had a awesome time and very pleasant. The "new" decor looked so much better than the cramped seating it had before. From the sushi bar to across the dining room you could see the mountains and the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmed every time!TastesofAlohaDined on 5/10/2014Great service, great food, and a perfect setting outside at sunset. Loved this visit just as much as our first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty and saltyLocalDined on 5/10/2014Dont know why everything tasted so salty including the salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST SUSHI ON OAHUnickmc32Dined on 5/8/2014Outstanding sushi with a large variety. Also if you go before 6:00, most sushi is 25% off. ★★★ Try D.K Steakhouse next door for a fantastic dteak dinner. Celebrated our anniv. and shared the 10 oz. Filet augratin, potatoes, mushrooms flambe and caeser salad. PERFECTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ocean view and great foodKT411Dined on 5/2/2014Service was great. Food was great. And they have Hamachi Kama!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food & serviceTexasileneVIPDined on 4/29/2014Food was amazing. The menu is actually too large & can be overwhelming however our party of 6- including a super picky one- loved every dish. Our server was fantastic. He gave great suggestions & was attentive. Best meal we hadin Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOzfoodiereviewDined on 4/28/2014My waitress was lovely , especially after the intro to the place by the snarky hostess. I started with scallops, the two scallops were cooked to perfection, and very salty. I ordered the Ahi with the award winning crab cake. The tuna was over cooked and dry, the award winning crab cake was deep fried noodles with 2 small prawns and no sign of crab, it was not edible. The rice and bok Choy on the plate taste of butter , salt and pepper. The predominant flavours on the plate, if not the only flavours were; butter , salt and pepper.
- DisappointedAlohadiningDined on 4/26/2014Food ok, service, terrible, we an inconvenience to the waitress.
- Tasty SushiJMHKCVIPDined on 4/25/2014We ate at this place twice and both occasions we weren't disappointed. Great sushi over all. This one was our favorite based on the 4 sushi places we tried during our visit. Our waiter gave us recommendations and then the sushi chefs were able to accommodate a couple of unique requests we had. I highly recommend the butterfish roll if you like butterfish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014It was my spouse and my first time there and it was AMAZING! From the food to the service it was a 10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.