101 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sanraku.com/sanraku.html
- Phone: 4153696166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 4:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sanraku Metreon
Sanraku Metreon is tucked into Yerba Buena Gardens, located inside the Metreon in SOMA, just a short walk from several of SF's best museums, the Moscone Center, Imax and other movies. We serve only the freshest fish, with a great selection of traditional sushi and cooked dishes in our very complete and imaginative menu. Diners' favorites include: sesame chicken, oyster shooters, whole grilled squid with our memorable sauce, salmon salad, tender and flavorful harami skewers, the lunchtime bento box. We are pleased to serve our Vegetarian Sushi to our non-fish eating diners.Continued
Come treat yourself to the Sanraku Metreon dining experience in our newly remodeled space. Our chefs and friendly staff await you..
Come treat yourself to the Sanraku Metreon dining experience in our newly remodeled space. Our chefs and friendly staff await you..
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sanraku Metreon reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (14)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)romantic (2)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good food, slow service...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/25/2014Sushi, sashimi and teriyaki was good... the service was slow even though a very attentive server. The explanation for slow service was that a large table was ordering too much sushi :-) Not sure I'd try it again.
- Excellent seafood qualityObserverVIPDined on 8/23/2014High-quality seafood for sashimi and sushi, other Japanese dishes were excellent as well.Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/9/2014An amazing meal with just a expert, amazing care by the server. When in San Francisco again will certainly return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014The food was expensive for what it was. The 30 $ Chirashi was alright but for 16 $, you get a better one at the sushi counter in SFO. The service was polite but unwelcoming. No smiles from the staff at all.Special Features:
- FreshFillingDined on 7/8/2014Loved this place! Sat at the Sushi bar and everything that was prepared was wonderful! We tried lots of fish for the first time- so yummy !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calm place in the MetreonPianoManVIPDined on 7/4/2014Lots of noise and things going on in the Metreon but when you walk in here you get a sense of quiet and calm. Its not out in the open- its on the side. Waitress was outstanding (Pei). We had dinner there. Rolls are well priced and excellent compared to other Japanese restaurants in the area. Volcano Roll was outstanding. California Roll, Rock and Roll all great. Highly recomment the Veggies and Dip appetizer or really for a small meal. Great selection. Very tasty and the sauces it came with were excellent. The Large house Sake was tasty and for $8.00 was enough to make us feel even more comfortable. Very enjoyable meal and a great space.Special Features:
- Great foodSanFranciscoTravelerDined on 7/4/2014The teriyaki rib eye steak was so tender. The sashimi salad was fresh with the most popular types of fish and octopus. The sushi rolls were delicious. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicehanayaVIPDined on 6/24/2014the waiter was friendly and introduced us to different items on the menu when asked. he was very friendly and made sure our water/ tea cups were not empty. provided great recommendations. would definitely come here again!Special Features:
- No Arigatogadabout47VIPDined on 6/22/2014We returned to Sanraku and were so disappointed. Servers preferred to gather at the hostess stand and chat rather than pay attention to guests. There was no hot tea since the hot water machine had broken. Can no one boil water on a stove? Food was cold and tasteless. We will not be going here again for quite some time.
- VHung08VIPDined on 6/21/2014I've been here a million times and the food is usually good. Got a lot of fish this time and all of it tasted great. Glad I decided to come back after a few not so impressive experiences a few months back. Hopefully will be back more often.
- Sesame chicken is go-o-o-dMugsyVIPDined on 6/19/2014My favorite lunch time option is the sesame chicken, which is a great choice if you are hungry or just voracious in general. It comes with a small salad and miso soup so this meal will fill you up! Eric, our server, is ALWAYS friendly and professional. This place gets busy if there's a conference at Moscone Center.Special Features:
- My favorite sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/16/2014I have been enjoying Sanraku at the Metreon for many years. Still some of my favorite sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy starterschinkisistaVIPDined on 6/7/2014I usually have lunch at Sanraku but had a chance to have dinner here on Saturday. The dinner menu offers more exciting starters so we tried a few. The fried tofu in a light soy broth was a good start but it came out warm, not hot; the clams in sake miso broth was hot and yummy, we had a side of rice and poured the sake miso over it. The grilled cod was amazing, tender and flaky - the best dish; the grilled octopus with a peppered mayo was fine but could be grilled less so it is more tender. The last item out, which I would have liked first, was the cucumber seaweed salad with seafood in a light mirin. Everything food wise was delicious but there is one minor problem, the timing of the dishes brought out were too quick and felt rushed.Special Features:
- Good valuemauigirlVIPDined on 5/25/2014This is a good spot for a quick lunch or dinner. Service is efficient and the food is good with fair pricing. The sushi and sashimi are fresh. Love their sesame chicken.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the Sanraku Metreon reviews archive.
- OkWoowooajDined on 5/4/2014Sushi menu ok. Roll menu almost non existent in comparison to other places. I had chicken terriaki and it was good. Husband had beef terriaki and complained that it lacked flavor.Special Features:
- InTheCityDined on 5/1/2014Excellent Service! Bento lunch special was served quickly ...... good portions with some leftover to take home!Special Features:
- Not expectedKenAVIPDined on 4/26/2014Had a hard time finding Sanraku which is essentially in a movie theater food court. It was however excellent. TheSushi chef was helpful with suggestions,the waitress was great. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi, So so locale & servicedekayDined on 4/23/2014Had a nice business lunch, tasty sushi, but very, very slow on the check. They should know the biz crowd needs to get going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi place for a quick bite.magazinemanDined on 4/18/2014My wife and actually went twice on a short trip to SF. Obviously we enjoy sushi. The place is located on the Metreon center next to the food court and the ticket machines for the cinemas/iMax. Cool place to get your food before you dive into your cineastic adventure. Don't bother for a roantco date. That's why our ambience rating is lower. The service is professionally friendly, helpful, occasionally challenged with the reservation via Open Table. However the food is great - fresh, tasteful, good variety with more choices than the usual. We had combination dinner, platters, individual rolls and sashimi and would go back any time for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotCoffeebossDined on 4/18/2014Sanraku nimbly accommodated a party of 10 on 45 minutes notice. Few places downtown have proven themselves so convenient. Staff was attentive and efficient. Agedashidofu was delicious and had a silky texture inside a light crisp exterior. Nigiri was fresh. A win all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good rollsAlfieVIPDined on 4/10/2014Food was good. Service was ok. I had a problem with my open table reservation and the manager was helpful and provide a practical solution that worked for both. I would recommend for lunch enjoying the vie of the Yerba Buena Park.Special Features:
- Fun place where to have notlovesushiDined on 4/5/2014Fun place where to have not only sushi but also other Japanese dishes. Tried the tonkatsu and it was very nice! Good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SappyDined on 3/27/2014Sushi are very fresh here and the sushi rice are very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall averagerkeatsVIPDined on 3/26/2014An average Japanese restaurant that is a bit on the pricy end. The location is unique as it is attached to the food court in the Metreon but it still maintains the restaurant feel because of its corner location. Very modern decor and look to the place. Not too shabby in regards to aesthetics. In terms of food it was just ok. The soft shell crab appetizer was nice and hearty, not your usual thin lanky crab. Did NOT like the bell pepper pairing! The katsu don was good as well but the protein portion could have been increased a bit. The special rolls were ok, at some point its just masked in some kind of sauce concoction. I would suggest going for their donburi's rather than their rolls and maybe pass on the expensive bento boxes .Special Features:
- Don't bother to reserveNetcatAsycDined on 3/20/2014Upon arrival we were told there wasn't any available table even with our confirmed reservation. We waited for about 10 minutes and inquired and were told probably another 10-15 minutes. Because it was close to a convention we were attending so we decided to wait. After roughly 10 minutes we asked again and were finally seated after another 5 mintues. Each time we asked, as opposed to being updated, about table availability. So, why bother making a reservation beforehand if the restaurant doesn't even honor it? Granted there's a big convention going on and lots of people wanting to have a quick bite for lunch, but that's exactly why we decided to reserve beforehand so we could be sure to have a table! This aside, the food was ok to so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Seinfeld reservation bitwmwmDined on 3/18/2014I made a reservation for 6 on a Tuesday night. Open table showed wide open access at any time slot. When we showed up, they had set a 4 person table with 6 placesettings on top of each other. We asked for one of the 3 empty booths next to the table, and were told they were unavailable, but we were welcome to the 4 person table. I asked why they accepted a reservation for 6 if they could not seat us at a 6 person table. From there it devolved to the reservation bit from Seinfeld. The host and manager were completely unhelpful and unapologetic, so we left.
- Pretty GoodJasonDined on 2/28/2014This place was good overall. Food was average, but the service was great. Was easy to get seating for two on a Friday night and our food came pretty fast. I would come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good place for weeknight groupfriendlyfaceDined on 1/30/2014Good spot for a group as a large table can be at the end of room in this rather noisy place. Enjoyed all our dishes, but overall it's pricey food. Wonderful that it's open till 9 pm weeknights as there are almost no Japanese restaurants in lower Market area at that time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I did not realize when weOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/24/2014I did not realize when we made this reservation that the tables overlooked the food court in the Metreon. However, it was still a nice place to eat. The sushi was good and the waitress was nice.
- wonderfuluucheeDined on 1/18/2014very high quality Japanese food! and service was pretty good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MDFmdf1Dined on 12/31/2013Sanraku is very convenient to the Metreon theaters, and seems to be fairly popular. It was nearly full on New Year's Eve. Our review is decidedly mixed. We arrived at 6:15 for a 7:10 movie and informed our waiter about the showtime. Apparently our order got mixed up and didn't arrive until 6:50. Fortunately we already had tickets, but this definitely became a fast food fiasco. Our waiter was very amicable, and the service, other than the order being lost, was acceptable. Bottom line- considering the otherwise food court ambiance at the Metreon, I would probably go to Sanraku again in conjunction with a movie, but I would be tempted to leave extra lead time and check on my order often.
- excellent sushiChicagoJayneDined on 12/13/2013been eating sushi for 27 years. this place is excellent. great variety of quality raw fish. go fairly often and will continue to do so. Staff is very discretely attentitive.Special Features:
- convenientMarieYFVIPDined on 12/6/2013Convenience is really the only reason to go here. The food isn't bad. It's just terribly average.
- Power lunchlindaVIPDined on 12/4/2013This is a great location. Located in the Metreon complex but faces out towards Yerba Buena. Great place to host a power lunch. Service is fast and courteous. And if you get a window seat, you can people watch as well. This location has gotten so popular that they have extended the service al fresco. Perfect for the summer and early fall season. We will be back. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good findCaliz3Dined on 11/30/2013I was visiting friends in San Francisco and we wanted to have sushi. I looked up sushi places and this came highly recommended on open table. I was able to secure a reservation for 6 on a Saturday at 7:15 on the same day and apparently that is not easy to do in downtown San Francisco on a weekend. They accommodated our larger party with no problems. The sushi was delicious and everyone said they enjoyed their selection. I tried the fisherman's miso and it was so different from miso I'm used to. Only get it if you're really into fishy broth soup. Still good though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super fresh sushi and kid-friendly!momoftwoVIPDined on 11/23/2013The Metreon location of Sanraku rocks. I have 2 kids - a newborn and 3.5 yr old. The service is super attentive, quick and consistent. It is our go to place for fresh yummy sushi, where parking is easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't realize it was in anicknameVIPDined on 11/16/2013didn't realize it was in a mall- which killed the ambiance- but everything elsewas great
- Decent option near convention ctr4merhueyDined on 11/9/2013Sanraku is a good choice for the area. Our party had Nabeyaki Udon, Tofu Udon, Teriyaki Chicken, Chicken Katsudon, and Bento with Tempura/Teriyaki Steak. All were good, (not the best you'll have, but not disappointing) except for my son's teriyaki chicken. I tried a piece and thought it was awful....waaaay too salty. However, the chicken in the Katsudon was the same teriyaki chicken, but much better. Maybe the chef just messed up on that dish. Had I tried it sooner, I would have tried to send it back. All in all, acceptable place for Japanese, good service and nice ambiance.
- Great Foodren808Dined on 11/8/2013Treated the birthday boy to dinner before watching Thor. It was both our first time there. Everything we ordered tasted great. My favorite was the Naked Uni w/ Green Tea Sea Salt and the Poppo Yaki. Service was good despite them being constantly busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- professional, courteous and tastyFlipDined on 11/6/2013Friendly and helpful staff. Great place to have a business lunch. Was less busy than I thought it would have been during the lunch hour, but I don't think that was a reflection of the food quality. I enjoyed my meal and my experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.