8 Holyoke St.
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sandrines.com/
- Phone: 6174975300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner:Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Valente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom catering menus designed by Maitre Cuisinier Raymond Ost and general manager Amy Nomejko will suit any on-site catering needs.
A word from Sandrine's
Nestled in the heart of Harvard Square is one of the warmest, most inviting French restaurants in the Greater Boston area. The restaurant prides itself on serving classic French Cuisine with an Alsatian influence. Sandrine's is an unpretentious Bistro with a national reputation for excellence. Shortly after the restaurant opened, Esquire magazine named it "one of the 25 best restaurants in the U.S.".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sandrine's reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (58)romantic (55)notable wine list (27)good for groups (20)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (11)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was lovely and the service both good and pleasant.Special Features:
- So DeliciousStephDined on 8/26/2014Came to Sandrine's in order to take advantage of the Dine Out Boston prix fix menu to save just a little bit of money. Definitely worth it. The food was incredibly good, the wine was delicious (although it was a bit hard to find a bottle in our price range), and the waitstaff was both engaging and attentive without being disruptive. The only real issue (and it may have been a result of our table placement) was that, despite the lack of music in the restaurant, the background noise became a little over the top at times to the point where I had to raise my voice to be heard. However, the positives far out-weighed the negatives, and I would definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatDeboDined on 8/24/2014Very welcoming staff. Nice ambience. Food was quite good but portions are small. Best is to order 3 course prix fixe as to not leave too hungry.Special Features:
- restaurant week menuNicoleDined on 8/23/2014I had been here before and remembered it being very very good. However, I was disappointed in our meals on Saturday. The seared tuna appetizer was overcooked. The duck had a lot of fat on it (not trimmed off). One of my diining partners had the vegetarian main course and loved it. The desserts were the best part of the meal. We had 4 different ones and they were all good. The waiter never offered us coffee at the end of the meal. We won't be going back . There are too many other restaurants out there .
- Lovely LunchElleDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful lunch during Restaurant Week & could not have been happier with the quality of the food & the friendly, attentive staff. Can't wait to go back there & try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Althought it was a restaurant week dinner, the portions were so ridiculously small that we were left quite hungry. Literally the scallops "main entree" came with 2 scallops on the plate, and the duck "entree" had 2 thin slices of duckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TransportingJosephDined on 8/22/2014The entrance to the restaurant promises an experience that transports one to a streetside bistro outside a classic Metro stop in Paris with all of its Art Nouveau beauty and atmosphere. Except for the entrance and the street, however, there is very little "French" about Sandrine's except for some of the food. Not a French word to be uttered by nary a Frenchman to be met. Despite that disappointment the experience was enjoyable but perhaps not to be repeated. The Restaurant Week dinner price of $38.00 was most welcome.Special Features:
- A Great Place For LunchmarylDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful food and service in a serene setting so close to bustling Harvard Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food small portionsOroVerdeDined on 8/20/2014Average food, portions extremly small. This is not a tapas place.... Servers helpfull but clearly disorganized. On top of this expensive
- in a word, superb42ndDined on 8/19/2014My wife and I chose Sandrine's for our anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. She chose the scallops and I the duck.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Sandrine's is an absolute gem of a restaurant. The food is superb (outstanding escargot, mussels, flammekueche, foie gras, choucroute, chocolate kougelhopf...) and the service is excellent. The restaurant's ambiance makes a meal out feel like a getaway. A truly great place for a special occasion dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodgourmet63Dined on 8/14/2014The food is always delicious here and on a nice summer day it's delightful to sit near the open-air front. Great eggplant tartine.Special Features:
- Delightful OccasionStephenWDined on 8/8/2014Romantic anniversary celebration. The staff was warm, welcoming and attentive. They even granted my Open Table request of a table at the windows tat completely open to the street. (Although the view is nothing to write home about, the evening air wafting in was wonderful.) Every dish reflected an unusual twist on a classic French recipe and each was beautifully plated. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Compliments to the bus boyRichDined on 8/7/2014We were three seniors out to celebrate a birthday, which at our age is not something you're thrilled about, but still would like to be nice. To that we reserved a table by the window, which to our surprise was unavailable even though at 6PM the place was mostly empty. The server/manager acted imperious and offended by such request. The only person who apologized was the bus boy, who deserved the whole (reduced) tip. So much for good service! The escargots and duck breast were excellent. An appetizer of two kinds of foie gras tasted very good, except it was unnecessarily served on two thick toasts. The creme brulé was OK but a bit blah. The ambience of the place is unpretentious but elegant though for us darkly colored by dismal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARR3VIPDined on 8/4/2014very good food and service. Worth the price. We will be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouslilybeanDined on 7/23/2014Went here for our anniversary. I rarely write reviews, but the duck at Sandrine's was some of the best I've ever had -- perfectly cooked, well seasoned. The escargot were wonderful too. Save room for creme brulee.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Service was excellent, but that was about it. Food was not good, and very overpriced. Would not recommend!
- Rather Standard FareBobRVIPDined on 7/18/2014Nothing to highlight on the menu and there were no specials. servers seemed to have a hard time finding the right diners for the food coming out of the kitchen
- pansyDined on 7/15/2014Unique, varied and beautifully presented dinner. Nice spot for relaxed dinner in Harvard Sq with old friends.
- Wonderful!MarKevVIPDined on 7/12/2014Simply perfect! Such wonderful people here. Treated my husband & I like gold. We sat in the corner window table and had fun people watching. The food took us back when we vacationed in Paris many years ago. Loved their escargots! I highly recommend this restaurant for a great evening out & authentic French cuisine. We look forward to dining here again. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SuggestionHfrayVIPDined on 7/7/2014I joined a friend at her suggestion and was not disappointed. Quiet atmosphere. Tasty food. Good service.Special Features:
- Best Birthday Dinner Ever!Comstock2Dined on 7/6/2014We loved our table at the front of the restaurant with the French window opened to the evening air. The meal was impeccable. I had Jacques St. Coquille for the first time and loved it. We also enjoyed the Alsatian flat bread and the dessert sampler. Yummy!Special Features:
- Old fashioned eleganceMickVIPDined on 7/1/2014Cozy and welcoming on a cold day for lunch; cool and quiet on a hot, humid day in July; terrific drinks, beers and wines; wonderful, personable, laid back service, delivered with panache and engaging style, and superb food. Take someone special.Special Features:
- Too bad I live on the West CoastDASMenloPkDined on 6/27/2014If I lived in the Boston/Cambridge area I would be a regular. It is a bit expensive - but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner near Harvard SquareRonGDined on 6/26/2014Good food in a convenient quiet restaurant near Harvard Square. Service a bit too relaxed.Special Features:
- A relaxing delicious mealLaurieVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were from out of town and needed a nice place for a small group dinner. This fit the bill. The ambiance was very sophisticated, not noisy, beautifully decorated French restaurant, athough the menu choices were limited, we were happy with our dishes, and they also offered vegetarian choices. They had an extensive wine list, drink list.Special Features:
- Not for TwosusieDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious, especially the warm chocolate cake. If you are a party of two, you need to figure out where you want to sit in advance of your reservation. The go-to doubles were right in the way of the waiter path and jammed up against a post on the other side - or practically in the lap of adjacent diners. It was with great pain that we were finally moved to a banquette even though the restaurant was not crowded. Of course, that table wobbled badly (we used a napkin to level the table). Street-side window seating looked nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service, OK atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2014The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Our waiter even went through the menu detailing which items were gluten-free, so that my girlfriend knew what she could eat. They also helped us figure out when to arrive so we'd have time to eat before seeing a play and how long it would take for us to get to the theater. The decor is quaint and old-fashioned, which is not to my taste. Relatively small interior. The restaurant felt unusually dimly lit, even by "intimate dining" standards, as if they're trying to evoke candlelight. However, they also have large windows open to the street, allowing for sunlight and a pleasant breeze. Overall, a wonderful experience which I hope to repeat in the future!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014The outer wall on to the street was raised on a beautiful evening, letting in the breeze and fading sunlight. It was lovely. The service was suberb. The food was great. We ordered wine that was recommended, which paired perfectly with our dinner. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvard Square DinnerJayODined on 5/31/2014We had a good dinner at Sandrine's with good wine and upscale atmosphere. We did find the wine over-priced and I had the special of the day which was really over-priced compared to the rest of the menu. I was dumb not to ask the price but feel if it is that much more then other items on the menu it should be mentioned by the waiter. However besides that we would go back anytime.Special Features:
- enjoyable dining experience!dine4goodVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a very enjoyable evening at Sandrine's. It has a charming ambiance, and the service was great and very friendly. Soups and desserts were superb. Wine list is good and not overwhelmingly long. My halibut and lentil dish was mediocre--fish overcooked and dish bland. The others in our party seemed to enjoy the duck and the scallops. I would definitely go back because it's an overall pleasant place to spend an evening dining out there with friends. I'll be more careful next time, though, about which entree to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I had a great meal...my friends were less impressed. One thought the chicken was dry; another that the sauerkraut was over cooked. My meal was one of the nicest I have had in a long time...so a mixed review in toto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food, poor serviceGaryhVIPDined on 5/28/2014We had three different entrees - all were okay with no standouts. Service was so poor I talked to the server and hostess after dinner. They blamed it on some health issues the server was having. If that was the case I don't understand why the other servers standing around couldn't have helped him.
- Elegant country FrenchLongwooddinerDined on 5/24/2014On a recent rainy spring evening, Harvard Square felt more like October than May, and we settled into Sandrine for comfortable evening. We started with a traditional Alsatian tarte (smoky bacon, caramelized onions, and creme fraiche on a wonderful crispy crust) and glasses of a perfectly matched Sancerre. The rack of lamb special was superb. The choucoutre was just as promised - sausages and smoked meats on sauerkraut - mmmm! The service was attentive and professional without being intrusive - it felt like we were being served by the proprietor in a small Parisian bistro. Excellent wine suggestions all evening. After a filling meal, we shared a light seasonal dessert - Strawberries Romanoff - another mmmm! All excellent!Special Features:
- SpecialtreatNormallyDelightedDined on 5/23/2014Haven't eaten here in awhile. As usual it was outstanding, food, service and ambience. Interesting and tasty dishes without being heavy handed or pretentious. Never a disappointment so far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchrobertDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful for lunch. Great soup and entrees. Fine seating for us who wanted a window if closed. Out of town friends with us were impressed by everything. The maitre d was very helpful in getting us a table. We'll certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceBajaDined on 5/19/2014I love this place. A must do if you are in Cambridge. Entire experience was over the top- especially the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014we were highly recommended here, and so looking forward to it. The service was good but very slow, we waited and hour for our appetizers, the restaurant was not even busy. When we eventually got the food it was very nice, the chicken was nothing special though.
- Birthday CelebrationFiona97Dined on 5/14/2014My family went to Sandrine's to celebrate a family birthday. We were greeted warmly and were offered a choice of tables. The food and service were outstanding. The staff at Sandrine's made it a very memorable birthday celebration. It was a wonderful night! Thank you Sandrine's!Special Features:
- WonderfulAfrenchieVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had a totally enjoyable and lovely Mother's Day brunch. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.