8 Holyoke St.
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sandrines.com/
- Phone: 6174975300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner:Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Valente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom catering menus designed by Maitre Cuisinier Raymond Ost and general manager Amy Nomejko will suit any on-site catering needs.
A word from Sandrine's
Nestled in the heart of Harvard Square is one of the warmest, most inviting French restaurants in the Greater Boston area. The restaurant prides itself on serving classic French Cuisine with an Alsatian influence. Sandrine's is an unpretentious Bistro with a national reputation for excellence. Shortly after the restaurant opened, Esquire magazine named it "one of the 25 best restaurants in the U.S.".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sandrine's reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (63)romantic (60)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (24)good for groups (23)great for brunch (8)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Always impresses.DreaVIPDined on 9/16/2014This is our go-to place for a special night out, and they always deliver. The menu is interesting and varied, food is delicious and beautifully prepared, cocktails are excellent, wine list is terrific, and service is impeccable. The staff is efficient and attentive without being in the way. Every time I've been here they do something to make the experience a special one, whether they know it's an anniversary or birthday or not. Love Sandrine's and look forward to many more special evenings here.Special Features:
- a birthday dinner treat!msbsward49Dined on 9/13/2014You cannot go wrong with the food at Sandrine's. From the tuna tartare to the escargot and steak frites, everything was wonderful. One person in our party go the rib-eye and the whole table had "food envy." The scallops were also very good but a more moderate sized portion. Overall, we will certainly be back to Sandrine's for special occasions.Special Features:
- tastes as good as it looks on web!ToudelooVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great cocktails ,too, although the bar service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Traditional French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Good glass of Bordeaux with steak and pome frites! Perfect bistro fare and atmosphere! Also, best tuna tartar app I ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable business lunchAnneMicheleDined on 9/12/2014I had a great experience for lunch. Great service, good food.Special Features:
- Good service, lackluster entreesTheGourmandDined on 9/11/2014To start with the good aspects, the escargot appetizer and service was amazing. Unfortunately, both the Lemon Lobster Pasta and Duck Breast were quite poor. The lobster was clearly overcooked and rubbery, the sauce was poorly balanced and bitter, and it would have been nice if enough attention to detail had been paid to remove the sharp cartilage from the center of the lobster claw meat. The duck breast was smothered in over over seasoned sauce that completely ruined the flavor. No self respecting chef would have plated those entrees. Some of this may have been forgivable if the entrees were half the price they were, but for this price there are any number of places in Cambridge where one can have excellent food. In a word, amateur
- A disappointmentmjanDined on 9/11/2014The food was a real disappointment. My duck was almost cold when it arrived and while the turmeric sauce was a nice idea, it was not very appealing either visually or taste wise. I have had much better experiences there at lunch; but now I won't go back at either seating.
- Always a happy experiencePamelaDined on 9/8/2014It has been about 10 months since I was at Sandrine's...they no longer have a prix fixe menu and they have added some tall tables, perhaps trying for a younger more bar feeling. Luckily they have still kept a few regular tables by the windows and the food was perfect (as always). I especially like and enjoy their not overly large portions. You can order an appetizer / salad and are still be able to eat every bite of your main course. It's lovely and delicious! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was lovely and the service both good and pleasant.Special Features:
- DcmpOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014Portions were very very skimpy. Not sure if it was due to restaurant week. We did not order the restaurant week menu, but for the price of the scallops, $26.00 for 3 scallops and no sides was , well, simply outrageous. I would not return any tome soon. The duck was ok, but again , skimpy with no sides. Avoid it if restaurant week. Not a good value if you pay full price.Special Features:
- So DeliciousStephDined on 8/26/2014Came to Sandrine's in order to take advantage of the Dine Out Boston prix fix menu to save just a little bit of money. Definitely worth it. The food was incredibly good, the wine was delicious (although it was a bit hard to find a bottle in our price range), and the waitstaff was both engaging and attentive without being disruptive. The only real issue (and it may have been a result of our table placement) was that, despite the lack of music in the restaurant, the background noise became a little over the top at times to the point where I had to raise my voice to be heard. However, the positives far out-weighed the negatives, and I would definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatDeboDined on 8/24/2014Very welcoming staff. Nice ambience. Food was quite good but portions are small. Best is to order 3 course prix fixe as to not leave too hungry.Special Features:
- restaurant week menuNicoleDined on 8/23/2014I had been here before and remembered it being very very good. However, I was disappointed in our meals on Saturday. The seared tuna appetizer was overcooked. The duck had a lot of fat on it (not trimmed off). One of my diining partners had the vegetarian main course and loved it. The desserts were the best part of the meal. We had 4 different ones and they were all good. The waiter never offered us coffee at the end of the meal. We won't be going back . There are too many other restaurants out there .
- Lovely LunchElleDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful lunch during Restaurant Week & could not have been happier with the quality of the food & the friendly, attentive staff. Can't wait to go back there & try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Althought it was a restaurant week dinner, the portions were so ridiculously small that we were left quite hungry. Literally the scallops "main entree" came with 2 scallops on the plate, and the duck "entree" had 2 thin slices of duckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TransportingJosephDined on 8/22/2014The entrance to the restaurant promises an experience that transports one to a streetside bistro outside a classic Metro stop in Paris with all of its Art Nouveau beauty and atmosphere. Except for the entrance and the street, however, there is very little "French" about Sandrine's except for some of the food. Not a French word to be uttered by nary a Frenchman to be met. Despite that disappointment the experience was enjoyable but perhaps not to be repeated. The Restaurant Week dinner price of $38.00 was most welcome.Special Features:
- A Great Place For LunchmarylDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful food and service in a serene setting so close to bustling Harvard Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food small portionsOroVerdeDined on 8/20/2014Average food, portions extremly small. This is not a tapas place.... Servers helpfull but clearly disorganized. On top of this expensive
- in a word, superb42ndDined on 8/19/2014My wife and I chose Sandrine's for our anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. She chose the scallops and I the duck.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Sandrine's is an absolute gem of a restaurant. The food is superb (outstanding escargot, mussels, flammekueche, foie gras, choucroute, chocolate kougelhopf...) and the service is excellent. The restaurant's ambiance makes a meal out feel like a getaway. A truly great place for a special occasion dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodgourmet63Dined on 8/14/2014The food is always delicious here and on a nice summer day it's delightful to sit near the open-air front. Great eggplant tartine.Special Features:
- Delightful OccasionStephenWDined on 8/8/2014Romantic anniversary celebration. The staff was warm, welcoming and attentive. They even granted my Open Table request of a table at the windows tat completely open to the street. (Although the view is nothing to write home about, the evening air wafting in was wonderful.) Every dish reflected an unusual twist on a classic French recipe and each was beautifully plated. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Compliments to the bus boyRichDined on 8/7/2014We were three seniors out to celebrate a birthday, which at our age is not something you're thrilled about, but still would like to be nice. To that we reserved a table by the window, which to our surprise was unavailable even though at 6PM the place was mostly empty. The server/manager acted imperious and offended by such request. The only person who apologized was the bus boy, who deserved the whole (reduced) tip. So much for good service! The escargots and duck breast were excellent. An appetizer of two kinds of foie gras tasted very good, except it was unnecessarily served on two thick toasts. The creme brulé was OK but a bit blah. The ambience of the place is unpretentious but elegant though for us darkly colored by dismal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARR3VIPDined on 8/4/2014very good food and service. Worth the price. We will be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouslilybeanDined on 7/23/2014Went here for our anniversary. I rarely write reviews, but the duck at Sandrine's was some of the best I've ever had -- perfectly cooked, well seasoned. The escargot were wonderful too. Save room for creme brulee.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Service was excellent, but that was about it. Food was not good, and very overpriced. Would not recommend!
- Rather Standard FareBobRVIPDined on 7/18/2014Nothing to highlight on the menu and there were no specials. servers seemed to have a hard time finding the right diners for the food coming out of the kitchen
- pansyDined on 7/15/2014Unique, varied and beautifully presented dinner. Nice spot for relaxed dinner in Harvard Sq with old friends.
- Wonderful!MarKevVIPDined on 7/12/2014Simply perfect! Such wonderful people here. Treated my husband & I like gold. We sat in the corner window table and had fun people watching. The food took us back when we vacationed in Paris many years ago. Loved their escargots! I highly recommend this restaurant for a great evening out & authentic French cuisine. We look forward to dining here again. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SuggestionHfrayVIPDined on 7/7/2014I joined a friend at her suggestion and was not disappointed. Quiet atmosphere. Tasty food. Good service.Special Features:
- Best Birthday Dinner Ever!Comstock2Dined on 7/6/2014We loved our table at the front of the restaurant with the French window opened to the evening air. The meal was impeccable. I had Jacques St. Coquille for the first time and loved it. We also enjoyed the Alsatian flat bread and the dessert sampler. Yummy!Special Features:
- Old fashioned eleganceMickVIPDined on 7/1/2014Cozy and welcoming on a cold day for lunch; cool and quiet on a hot, humid day in July; terrific drinks, beers and wines; wonderful, personable, laid back service, delivered with panache and engaging style, and superb food. Take someone special.Special Features:
- Too bad I live on the West CoastDASMenloPkDined on 6/27/2014If I lived in the Boston/Cambridge area I would be a regular. It is a bit expensive - but worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner near Harvard SquareRonGDined on 6/26/2014Good food in a convenient quiet restaurant near Harvard Square. Service a bit too relaxed.Special Features:
- A relaxing delicious mealLaurieVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were from out of town and needed a nice place for a small group dinner. This fit the bill. The ambiance was very sophisticated, not noisy, beautifully decorated French restaurant, athough the menu choices were limited, we were happy with our dishes, and they also offered vegetarian choices. They had an extensive wine list, drink list.Special Features:
- Not for TwosusieDined on 6/14/2014The food was delicious, especially the warm chocolate cake. If you are a party of two, you need to figure out where you want to sit in advance of your reservation. The go-to doubles were right in the way of the waiter path and jammed up against a post on the other side - or practically in the lap of adjacent diners. It was with great pain that we were finally moved to a banquette even though the restaurant was not crowded. Of course, that table wobbled badly (we used a napkin to level the table). Street-side window seating looked nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service, OK atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2014The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Our waiter even went through the menu detailing which items were gluten-free, so that my girlfriend knew what she could eat. They also helped us figure out when to arrive so we'd have time to eat before seeing a play and how long it would take for us to get to the theater. The decor is quaint and old-fashioned, which is not to my taste. Relatively small interior. The restaurant felt unusually dimly lit, even by "intimate dining" standards, as if they're trying to evoke candlelight. However, they also have large windows open to the street, allowing for sunlight and a pleasant breeze. Overall, a wonderful experience which I hope to repeat in the future!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014The outer wall on to the street was raised on a beautiful evening, letting in the breeze and fading sunlight. It was lovely. The service was suberb. The food was great. We ordered wine that was recommended, which paired perfectly with our dinner. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvard Square DinnerJayODined on 5/31/2014We had a good dinner at Sandrine's with good wine and upscale atmosphere. We did find the wine over-priced and I had the special of the day which was really over-priced compared to the rest of the menu. I was dumb not to ask the price but feel if it is that much more then other items on the menu it should be mentioned by the waiter. However besides that we would go back anytime.Special Features:
- enjoyable dining experience!dine4goodVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a very enjoyable evening at Sandrine's. It has a charming ambiance, and the service was great and very friendly. Soups and desserts were superb. Wine list is good and not overwhelmingly long. My halibut and lentil dish was mediocre--fish overcooked and dish bland. The others in our party seemed to enjoy the duck and the scallops. I would definitely go back because it's an overall pleasant place to spend an evening dining out there with friends. I'll be more careful next time, though, about which entree to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.