8 Holyoke St.
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sandrines.com/
- Phone: 6174975300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner:Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Valente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom catering menus designed by Maitre Cuisinier Raymond Ost and general manager Amy Nomejko will suit any on-site catering needs.
A word from Sandrine's
Nestled in the heart of Harvard Square is one of the warmest, most inviting French restaurants in the Greater Boston area. The restaurant prides itself on serving classic French Cuisine with an Alsatian influence. Sandrine's is an unpretentious Bistro with a national reputation for excellence. Shortly after the restaurant opened, Esquire magazine named it "one of the 25 best restaurants in the U.S.".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sandrine's reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (69)special occasion (66)romantic (60)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (24)good for groups (23)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- keelinrDined on 10/17/2014lamb, chicken and duck all perfectly cooked and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ian1Dined on 10/17/2014A delight from the minute you enter, a good balance between relaxed. Well done, unassuming food with an good value winelist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BistroPariseurVIPDined on 10/16/2014Reminds me of my younger days in Strasbourg. Wonderful snails, great Alsatian pizzas, well made salads, perfect cocktails, an excellent chef and impeccable service.Special Features:
- Maybe it was the wrong time of dayFoodieforlifeDined on 10/12/2014Overall, wouldn't rush back but I did enjoy my evening. I felt as the food was more American cuisine than French bistro style.Special Features:
- Pleasant and not memorableTriBeCaGirl155VIPDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant was not fine dining. Perhaps if it described itself as Mediterranean and not French our expectations would have been better managed. Perhaps if we were students, the food would have been acceptable. However as adults, coming from New York, who thought we would have French fare that reflected regional, traditional, or nouvelle cooking we were unimpressed. Add the fact that the kitchen closed at 10p on a Saturday night and our reservation was 9:30p--- we were disappointed.
- A Great Meal with FriendsJVanODined on 10/8/2014There is not much better that settling into a comfortable dining spot with friends after a great musical performance. We savored our steak frites, canard, sea scallops, and lobster linguini, all with to-die-for sauces. The Chocolate Kougelhopf for dessert is a must! Just one bite? IMPOSSIBLE. Our group, eclectic palates all, an Italian cellist, a Bulgarian physicist and his accomplished pianist wife, a couple of opera singers, another cellist, my wife and me. Sandrine’s is comfortably energetic with warm elegant spaces. The tables are respectfully arranged so it is quiet enough to privately appreciate the exquisite wine and conversation around your table. All agreed it was a wonderful meal and can only savor “a la prochaine”. . .Special Features:
- What about service?BSrvrDined on 10/5/2014Seems that alternating the menu calls for a war with the chef, that is the only explanation for an hour long wait for our food, without any heads up from our waiter. We encountered very low to zero courtesy from the waiter assigned to us. Food is great but servers could step up to at least pretend that our business is important to them. If we recommend the service issue will sure be mentioned
- A Lovely Place for a CelebrationlondonboundDined on 9/29/2014I celebrated my birthday last night at Sandrines in Cambridge and was not disappointed. I arrived at 5:30 and the hostess immediately showed me to my table which overlooked the street. I was concerned at first because the bar television was directly behind me, but it never once detracted from my evening. My waiter, Sherman, immediately made me feel at home. He is definitey the restaurant's best ambassador -- he is charming, knowledgeable and does everything to enhance the dining experience. The escargots lived up to their reputation as did the chicken in a red wine reduction, and for the finale -- strawberries with vanilla ice cream. The food, the wine, the ambiance and service made for a memorahle evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience but food lackingMaryVIPDined on 9/26/2014We tried Sandrine's after not being there for some time, and came away disappointed in the food - not creative, average wine list, food lacked flavor and was actually bland. Very surprised. Wait staff was very friendly, the decor lovely and view fabulous.Special Features:
- disappointingEKMBDined on 9/26/2014We hadn't been to Sandrine's for a while, though we used to go frequently. It was very disappointing. The Alsace menu was nowhere to be found! However, the onion soup was very good as always. The rest of the menu could be found anywhere in Boston. And the square white plates! Always a bad sign of a restaurant wanting to update -- but not in the best way.Special Features:
- Very dissapointingFrenchyDined on 9/25/2014The food was bland, no taste, not very French. I've eaten there 10 years ago and the food was authentically French. Now, it's not the same. I hope they bring back their old recipes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014It's sad to watch a favorite restaurant fade into mediocrity. Sandrine's scarcely resembles its former self, an Alsatian outpost in Cambridge, with its lunch menu now all but indistinguishable from the other places that surround it. How long will it survive? Sigh.
- wonderfulatmosphericVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a pre-theater dinner. It was (as usual) a delicious, really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and invitinglskhVIPDined on 9/20/2014You receive a warm welcome and the place is quite inviting. The food is great and the servers are the best!Special Features:
- Only expensive wines availableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014I love this place, the food is authentic French from Alsace, and both traditional and creative. But the wine list is pathetic. They price the wines way on the high end, offering no wines for moderate pricing, unlike other comparable restaurants. Otherwise, I seem to keep coming back because it's a wonderful place.Special Features:
- Food took foreverCriticalDinerDined on 9/18/2014Very nice ambience. Friendly wait staff and interesting menu. Unfortunately, the food took a very long time to come out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sandrines, a huge disappointmentGoodfoodDined on 9/18/2014Such a mediocre anniversary dinner. Though we were given two glasses of champagne! We started with an asparagus soup , which was lukewarm at best, and tasteless. My husband had steak with mashed potatoes and some veg. Steak should always be a carnivores delight. This however was not . The meat was tough and overcooked. Sorry cow. I had a cod that was supposed to have a beurre blanc sauce .My description would be a watery mess. Sides were potatoes and brussells sprouts that were fine, but that's it. My teens cooks better sides at home.Special Features:
- Perfect pre theater spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/17/2014Just feet away from the hustle and bustle of Harvard Square but you'd never know it. Delicious French bistro style food of perfect portion.Special Features:
- Always impresses.DreaVIPDined on 9/16/2014This is our go-to place for a special night out, and they always deliver. The menu is interesting and varied, food is delicious and beautifully prepared, cocktails are excellent, wine list is terrific, and service is impeccable. The staff is efficient and attentive without being in the way. Every time I've been here they do something to make the experience a special one, whether they know it's an anniversary or birthday or not. Love Sandrine's and look forward to many more special evenings here.Special Features:
- a birthday dinner treat!msbsward49Dined on 9/13/2014You cannot go wrong with the food at Sandrine's. From the tuna tartare to the escargot and steak frites, everything was wonderful. One person in our party go the rib-eye and the whole table had "food envy." The scallops were also very good but a more moderate sized portion. Overall, we will certainly be back to Sandrine's for special occasions.Special Features:
- tastes as good as it looks on web!ToudelooVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great cocktails ,too, although the bar service was very slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Traditional French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Good glass of Bordeaux with steak and pome frites! Perfect bistro fare and atmosphere! Also, best tuna tartar app I ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable business lunchAnneMicheleVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had a great experience for lunch. Great service, good food.Special Features:
- Good service, lackluster entreesTheGourmandDined on 9/11/2014To start with the good aspects, the escargot appetizer and service was amazing. Unfortunately, both the Lemon Lobster Pasta and Duck Breast were quite poor. The lobster was clearly overcooked and rubbery, the sauce was poorly balanced and bitter, and it would have been nice if enough attention to detail had been paid to remove the sharp cartilage from the center of the lobster claw meat. The duck breast was smothered in over over seasoned sauce that completely ruined the flavor. No self respecting chef would have plated those entrees. Some of this may have been forgivable if the entrees were half the price they were, but for this price there are any number of places in Cambridge where one can have excellent food. In a word, amateur
- A disappointmentmjanDined on 9/11/2014The food was a real disappointment. My duck was almost cold when it arrived and while the turmeric sauce was a nice idea, it was not very appealing either visually or taste wise. I have had much better experiences there at lunch; but now I won't go back at either seating.
- Always a happy experiencePamelaDined on 9/8/2014It has been about 10 months since I was at Sandrine's...they no longer have a prix fixe menu and they have added some tall tables, perhaps trying for a younger more bar feeling. Luckily they have still kept a few regular tables by the windows and the food was perfect (as always). I especially like and enjoy their not overly large portions. You can order an appetizer / salad and are still be able to eat every bite of your main course. It's lovely and delicious! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was lovely and the service both good and pleasant.Special Features:
- DcmpOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2014Portions were very very skimpy. Not sure if it was due to restaurant week. We did not order the restaurant week menu, but for the price of the scallops, $26.00 for 3 scallops and no sides was , well, simply outrageous. I would not return any tome soon. The duck was ok, but again , skimpy with no sides. Avoid it if restaurant week. Not a good value if you pay full price.Special Features:
- So DeliciousStephDined on 8/26/2014Came to Sandrine's in order to take advantage of the Dine Out Boston prix fix menu to save just a little bit of money. Definitely worth it. The food was incredibly good, the wine was delicious (although it was a bit hard to find a bottle in our price range), and the waitstaff was both engaging and attentive without being disruptive. The only real issue (and it may have been a result of our table placement) was that, despite the lack of music in the restaurant, the background noise became a little over the top at times to the point where I had to raise my voice to be heard. However, the positives far out-weighed the negatives, and I would definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatDeboDined on 8/24/2014Very welcoming staff. Nice ambience. Food was quite good but portions are small. Best is to order 3 course prix fixe as to not leave too hungry.Special Features:
- restaurant week menuNicoleDined on 8/23/2014I had been here before and remembered it being very very good. However, I was disappointed in our meals on Saturday. The seared tuna appetizer was overcooked. The duck had a lot of fat on it (not trimmed off). One of my diining partners had the vegetarian main course and loved it. The desserts were the best part of the meal. We had 4 different ones and they were all good. The waiter never offered us coffee at the end of the meal. We won't be going back . There are too many other restaurants out there .
- Lovely LunchElleDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful lunch during Restaurant Week & could not have been happier with the quality of the food & the friendly, attentive staff. Can't wait to go back there & try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Althought it was a restaurant week dinner, the portions were so ridiculously small that we were left quite hungry. Literally the scallops "main entree" came with 2 scallops on the plate, and the duck "entree" had 2 thin slices of duckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TransportingJosephDined on 8/22/2014The entrance to the restaurant promises an experience that transports one to a streetside bistro outside a classic Metro stop in Paris with all of its Art Nouveau beauty and atmosphere. Except for the entrance and the street, however, there is very little "French" about Sandrine's except for some of the food. Not a French word to be uttered by nary a Frenchman to be met. Despite that disappointment the experience was enjoyable but perhaps not to be repeated. The Restaurant Week dinner price of $38.00 was most welcome.Special Features:
- A Great Place For LunchmarylDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful food and service in a serene setting so close to bustling Harvard Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food small portionsOroVerdeDined on 8/20/2014Average food, portions extremly small. This is not a tapas place.... Servers helpfull but clearly disorganized. On top of this expensive
- in a word, superb42ndDined on 8/19/2014My wife and I chose Sandrine's for our anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. She chose the scallops and I the duck.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Sandrine's is an absolute gem of a restaurant. The food is superb (outstanding escargot, mussels, flammekueche, foie gras, choucroute, chocolate kougelhopf...) and the service is excellent. The restaurant's ambiance makes a meal out feel like a getaway. A truly great place for a special occasion dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodgourmet63Dined on 8/14/2014The food is always delicious here and on a nice summer day it's delightful to sit near the open-air front. Great eggplant tartine.Special Features:
- Delightful OccasionStephenWDined on 8/8/2014Romantic anniversary celebration. The staff was warm, welcoming and attentive. They even granted my Open Table request of a table at the windows tat completely open to the street. (Although the view is nothing to write home about, the evening air wafting in was wonderful.) Every dish reflected an unusual twist on a classic French recipe and each was beautifully plated. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.