4198 Manchester Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
Central West End
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sanctuariastl.com/
- Phone: 3145359700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: Open at 4:00pm, serving dinner beginning at 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Wil Peley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring wildly delicious tapas to your special event either on location or off site. Customized packages are available. Please contact us with any questions or to request additional information.
A word from Sanctuaria
Stop in today and experience Sanctuaria, bringing flavor and atmosphere to you. Offering exclusive, delicious menu selections served with a modern twist, created by our award winning chef, Christopher Lee. Our unique cocktail selections are made with fresh herbs, fruits, vegetables and spices. We were recently nominated for the Spirited Awards at Tales of the Cocktail for WORLD'S BEST COCKTAIL MENU!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sanctuaria - Best Restaurants in Central West End ›
Sanctuaria reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (17)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (13)special occasion (13)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (10)romantic (9)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014Great service and ambiance. Tapas were the right size. The sliders and cornbread were great. The other items we ordered were just OK. The spices seemed off.Special Features:
- Great experienceKkclovestoeatDined on 9/6/2014Fantastic food and good drinks. Be sure to try the plantains with melted cheese and guava jelly. We went with a group so we could try lots of dishes. The only negative was being charged for extra bread to dip in the shrimp sauce. They only give you 3 small slices of bread and there is enough sauce for at least 6 more slices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truely Tasty TapasFoodForFunDined on 9/5/2014I love Sanctuaria! The food is outstanding. The service is wonderful. The drink club, complete with one's own notebook to keep track of what you've tried and how much you like it, is brilliant. They beautifully accommodated our large group, even though some people showed up very late. Overall a wonderful experience, with the chef personally stopping by to make sure everything was to our liking. We had both of the night's specials along with the blue cheese cigars, empanadas, pizza, and lots of various drinks. Everything was exceptional. The pork special was perfect. The meat tender and a balance of flavors, not overwhelmed by the red pepper. The Stl Fantasy, a mushroom with field greens and a slightly spicy sauce was also a favorite.Special Features:
- bummedaliciaDined on 8/23/2014The food was great, a little over priced for the tapa portion size. Service was slow and the waitress seemed uninterested. The air conditioning was broken that night and it was uncomfortable. I wish we would have known that before making the open table resos.Special Features:
- New cook staff plus poor bartenders2badsosadDined on 8/16/2014The worst food and drink ever....they've changed their cook staff and the sangria recipe--the sangria contains no wine or fruit.....horrid experience....I was embarrassed to have taken my friend there.
- Best tapasBellDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I love going on dates to Sanctuaria. The restaurant is kind of dark and sexy. The food is outstanding. We had the tuna tapas and it simply melts in your mouth. Definite date night must try!Special Features:
- Service needs improvement.Js811Dined on 8/9/2014We were seated immediately with menus, but a server never returned. After waiting for 45 minutes, we went to the hostess to advise a server had never came. The hostess was very rude and didn't act concerned. I then asked another server passing by if she knew who our server was and she said she would find out. After a few minutes, that server came back and said she would take our table and apologized for the delay. The server's name was Blair. If Blair had not stepped in, our experience would have been horrible. The hostess and servers seemed disorganized. The food was very good, but be prepared to wait.Special Features:
- Loved itZsumDined on 8/2/20146 of 7 items we had were 4-5 stars. One item (chicken with dipping sauce) was unremarkable. Great patio seating. Roomy and nice breeze. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Drinks/average TapasCityLivingDined on 7/12/2014We went on July 12 (hot day). It was rather warm inside the restaurant (I was fanning myself). We were seated right away. Good server. Each of us ordered tapas to share. TIP: The Wicked Shrimp was the best and don't let the server take your dish until you dip the bread in any remaining sauce. YUMMM. The flatbread was not flat...just deep fried (greasy) bread sticks with some dipping sauce. Stay clear-bad news. The Chicken Fingers were also deep fried and had very little flavor-we should have sent these back TIP - go back for a second Wicked Shrimp instead. My husband had a drink called The Shaw -AWESOME!!! Possibly the best mixed cocktail ever. Absolutely perfect for a summertime drink -FABULOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!mwilbretDined on 7/6/2014Sanctuaria serves Tapas with a nice-sized menu of small plates for sharing. This was a little awkward as my dining partner is vegetarian and I am not, but we worked it out. Their sangria was completely delicious, and of the 6 plates we ordered, all but one were spectacular. The plates, while small, were pretty pricey so I don't recommend coming super ravenous. Service was solicitous and informative, but not overbearing. Would go back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and very fun patioWiczerdDined on 7/3/2014The drinks are fanatically put together. Their cocktail list is really long, interesting and has excellent ingredients. The service is generally excellent and the inside and outside seating is great: really created an ambience. The tapas were also pretty tasty with lots of vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nandinesVIPDined on 6/28/2014LOVED IT! Food was wonderful and the service was great!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!CathyCDined on 6/25/2014What a TERRIFIC place! We weren’t sure what we were getting into, but this was a great new find! Hard to see from the outside, the signage is minimal,..Sanctuaria is a real treat for the senses. The music was catchy but not intrusive, the décor is eclectic, without being strident, and the drink menu was exhaustive without being pretentious. The drinks were crafted with care, and the food was creative without sacrificing flavor, or presentation. We all ordered different “tapas” dishes, and they were all excellent! Our waitress was awesome, offering advice when asked for, and checking back on our table frequently to make sure we were good. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Poor Customer ServicetapamomDined on 6/21/2014I tried several items on the menu and loved the plantains and SangrIa. Everything I tasted was full of flavor and delicious. My complaint comes with the service. This is my second time visiting the restaurant. I made a reservation for an early Saturday dinner. I arrived and was seated within arms length of the bathroom. The restaurant was practically empty so I asked nicely if I could move to another table. With no hesitation, the host said NO we are booked tonight and walked away. I was stunned. I could imagine how the place would fill eventually on a Saturday night but surely everyone with a reservation had not requested a specific seat. Long story short, I stayed 1.5 hours and no one ever came and sat at the table I requested!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night for a personal favorite?GnailzDined on 6/20/2014Always one of my favorite places to go and one I often recommend, I don't know if the AC was broken or if that's the norm on summer nights but it was HOT. I brought family there to celebrate and should have just left. I understand things happen but run out and buy some fans for your customers! All dishes were the usual awesome but 1, the breaded jerk chicken. 2 thumbs way down. I've been far too spoiled by the fantastic food here to not notice that disappointment. Over cooked, dry and flavorless. If that's how it's meant to be it's a blight on an otherwise fantastic menu. Also, a broken lock on the restroom should be a priority fix. I'm sure I'll give it another chance eventually but it's going to be a while...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dennis from Fenton.Tapasnewbies2014Dined on 6/15/2014The food was outstanding. Corn bread was great. Plantain (sp?) was a bit dry. Cheese bread was very good. Chicken skewers were tasty. The shrimp was excellent, although a little too hot for my taste. Meatballs were also great. There could have been more sauce for each. Service was too "laid back". Our server was not very helpful to first-time Tapas diners. Overall, a pleasant experience. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent atmosphere & food but...Deee42Dined on 6/12/2014Our waiter was absolutely awful; I have never recieved that poorly of service in a very, very long time and he is the sole reason why I will not be returning there. Our food was very unique and tasty and our drinks were top notch, so kudos to the chef and bartender, but for this man to be condescending and rude and not even look at us when he took the order nor smile or do anything when we said "thank you" for a water refill or whathaveyou that if he would had actually introduced himself I would put his name out there to warn others. You'll know if you get him, so if your waiter rolls his eyes when you ask what's best on the menu, speak up and ask for a different serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!CWEFoodieDined on 6/11/2014The cocktails are outstanding as well. The dessert, Mangolicious, was a culinary masterpiece!Special Features:
- Great CocktailsLoveNewOrleansDined on 6/7/2014The food was good, but the cocktails were the best part of the adventure. Love the "Lost Sol" drink and the Sangria is really wonderful. The food was interesting - small portions of course - but overall a fun place to go.Special Features:
- Good concept, but....catgirlDined on 5/30/2014Love the decor, fun cocktail and food menu and excellent server. However, it was a Friday night and when the place filled up, everything but the server fell apart. It is not a large restaurant but, when full, is painfully loud. I was desperate to leave because my ears were ringing. The bartender and the kitchen were unable to handle a full restaurant. Drink and food orders slowed so much that my drink was taken off the bill and we were there forever waiting for food orders. Drinks were good although very pricey. Food was pricey and not as good as the descriptions. They need to hire more staff for the weekends and improve the food.Special Features:
- The following 352 reviews are from the Sanctuaria reviews archive.
- Dining adventureGAry1392Dined on 5/22/2014Sanctuaria is consistently interesting. They have some of the best cocktails (OUTSTANDING version of Bloody Mary made with a touch of balsamic vinegar) and always add some interesting menu specials.Special Features:
- Not the top tapasLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 5/15/2014Food was ok but not really very special. Go for the drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Patiolove2eatoutsideDined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed the food very much. Small plates were well suited for us. We went for dinner on Mothers Day after they had a very busy brunch period. They were out of several items but the selections we had were excellent. We had the Spanish meatballs, plus kale and mixed green salads. All were well prepared and delicious. They are well along on redoing their outdoor serving area. We are going back frequently this summer and looking forward to the finished patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day brunch!JonathanDDined on 5/11/2014We found out after we got there that they don't normally do brunch, but they should! The food was excellent, the service was great (and cheerful despite my two small kids), and the ambiance was very cool. I would definitely recommend checking them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchLornaDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch was excellent. Food tasted great. Can't wait to go back for a dinner.Special Features:
- Good first visitdiningwithfriendsDined on 5/10/2014A good first visit to the restaurant on a busy Saturday night. Our reserved table was ready when we arrived. The food was amazing, especially the Cabrales Cigars and Wicked Good Shrimp. Service was a little slow, possibly due to the busy night. We were told the kitchen stopped taking orders for a bit to catch up. Drink menu is a little pricy, but unique and varied. Definitely worth another visit to try more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapas in St LouisTapasDined on 5/3/2014The ambiance is very unique to say the least; entertaining, playful, a welcome departure from the ordinary, cliche that every other "hot new" restaurant portrays. A moderately lit, personal/romantic place to go, regardless of your personal style. But forget the ambiance; go for the food. I've been to Mosaic and several of the other popular tapas places in St. Louis and this one, hands down, is the best of them all. With very unique, original, fresh dishes, EVERYTHING we ordered was amazing and expertly prepared. We even ordered a few dishes twice, and were pleased how consistent they were. You must get the pork & beef sliders as well as the shrimp. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and made the whole evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Food AdventureCWEdinerDined on 5/2/2014A tapas style restaurant with Goth / Day of the Dead styling. Four of us visited on a Friday night. Lots of folk happily imbibing cocktails and a variety of delicious small plates. We started with 4 dishes: Stout-Battered Onion Rings from the Specials menu, Shrimp & Mango Cevice, Jerk Chicken with a delicious eggplant + other good stuff dipping sauce and Beef bites on a bed of well-seasoned hominy. Added in the Flatbread - not your ordinary flatbread and really delicious - Beggar's Purse and the Empanada. Each plate was perfect for sharing among we four. With cocktails and tip the total was $129 for the group. Not an everyday dining option but one we'll definitely go back to because there were so many options we did not get to try.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014The service was terrible some drinks and food were never brought out
- Love this place!AbisarDined on 4/27/2014My fourth time at Sanctuaria, and I still love it! Service is always exceptional, and the food is DELICIOUS. Extensive cocktail menu. This place rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodated even my 10 month old .MoreWineForMeDined on 4/25/2014Harrison and his crew rocked it ....per usual! Tried everything on the menu tapas wise including the "beggars purse" the FILO and chorizo blew our minds! Cocktails were equally as epic as well, try an Angels Envy Manhattan !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good, definitely not cheapLaurenSDined on 4/23/2014We had the cheese plate, the wicked good shrimp, jerk pollo fritas, vaca frita with chimichurri and the spanish meatballs. The cheese, shrimp and meatballs were incredible. The shrimp was so spicy but so amazing. I wasn't a big fan of the jerk chicken (it was really tough and dry, but I got the impression it was supposed to be like that and I had incorrectly expected something different) but my boyfriend liked it a lot. The vaca frita stuff, I don't know what we were supposed to do with it, really. I'll definitely go back but it ended up being close to $80 with a beer each and tip so it's not somewhere you go every other day.Special Features:
- Great food and Fantastic CocktailskcelesteDined on 4/4/2014This was my second time here, the first time was for a work dinner, this time was with my husband. The food was excellent both times and their cocktails are inventive and perfect. Its the only restaurant I've ever been to where I've been completely happy with multiple cocktails. I highly recommend Sanctuaria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner reviewdukeDined on 4/2/2014We had excellent food and service on 4-2-14 during our 6:15 dinner before we went to the Grammaphone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun eveningroofmanDined on 3/29/2014Great place for a larger group to share many different plates. Good drinks. Interesting ambiance. Friendly service.Special Features:
- I usually love SanctuariagradDined on 3/28/2014I usually love Sanctuaria but I, and everybody I was with, was incredibly disappointed. All of the portions seemed significantly smaller than usual, and it was as if all of the food had been cooked only 3/4 of the way through. The empanadas in particular were really doughy on the outside. Desserts, which we've usually enjoyed, were a total bust. We had a pudding that was pretty much the consistency of egg yolk- people could hardly keep it on their spoon without it falling off. I don't know if it was because we went on a night that was busier than usual, but it was not a great experienceSpecial Features:
- FavoriteFriarspointDined on 3/28/2014The tapas and the cocktails are first-rate! Always inventive. The service and atmosphere too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grown & SexyPluckyDined on 3/27/2014Great drinks--fun and exotic, totally unique and on-trend--my friend had cocktails and I had mocktails & both were fun and delicious. Our server was excited to tell us about the menu + drinks and plenty attentive (and cute). Food was fantastic! With an abundance of gluten-free options--we ordered at least 7 dishes and there were still several more gluten-free options to try. The decor is fun, definitely hipster/steampunk but still very friendly and unintimidating to people who are there for the food and not the scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andJeniferGDined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent and our server knowledgeable and friendly. He made several great suggestions. Great place to try new dishes and talk with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014The food here has never disappointed me. Since the menu changes some over time, I can almost always try something new.Special Features: