San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne
500, 26 McKenzie Towne Gate SE
Calgary, AB T2Z 0N2Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tastesanremo.com/
- Phone: (403) 251-0998
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday to Friday 11am-2pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Michael Edgar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: San Remo Ristorante now shares with you our tastes that have made our restaurants so successful. Whether it's a wedding, in home dining or a corporate event, our extensive services will make your event truly memorable. please contact for more details. email@example.com
A word from San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne
San Remo Ristorante specializes in the creation of innovative Italian cuisine served in a contemporary, intimate atmosphere, ideal for the special date or dinner party. With influences from Italy and a fusion flair, San Remo's cuisine is simple, yet elegantly delicious. Come enjoy our warm, classic atmosphere and allow us to give you a fantastic dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (27)romantic (25)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Won't be backGeorgesDined on 11/21/2014I've been here a couple times before and both times had a salad which was quite yummy. On this visit my friend and I decided on an entree. My pasta was okay. Her risotto was so salty it was inedible. We finished the meal off with a cup of coffee but I think the water ran through a used filter because it had the colour of tea! We at least had a good laugh.
- MacKenzie Towne Italian ExcellenceThreeVisitsDined on 11/13/2014The staff are friendly and very helpful. They are professional without being stuck-up, lovely:0 The other dishes smell delightful but I love the beet salad with grilled chicken so much that I haven't tried anything else, yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- table locationRetired70Dined on 11/9/2014Although we had a reservation I did not request a "certain" table as it was my first visit. It was colder evening and we were seated at the first table inside. It was very COLD!! Would make sure on a return to request a table further inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday with a group of friendsluv2dineDined on 11/7/2014The waitress was friendly and professional. A lot of us had the Arugula Beat salad, and we all agreed it was delicious! 4 of us had pasta, 3 being the Spaghetti Caprese, which all 4 of us said was "ok" we wouldn't order again. The pasta was tasty, just not what you're expecting for over $20 a plate at an Italian restaurant. However, the other 3 in the group ordered, Braised Beef Short Rib, Salmon & Lamb Shank. All 3 said was amazing. I must say the Braised Beef Short Rib looked amazing. What I thought was so strange was when we asked for parmesan it came out in one of those little parmesan shakers you see at cheaper restaurants. It wasn't fresh grated like I would have expected.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2014This was our first time here and saw the pasta's for $10.00 each and got a little worried. We ended up being very impressed with the food and service. It was a little noisy when full, but would go back again. The meals were good portions and extremely tasty. Would recommend to try for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Remo Is Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We are fans of San Remo who enjoy dining there 5 or 6 times a year. The food is always fabulous and the Restaurant is very cognizant and flexible for those with gluten free diets (one of is gluten intolerant). The staff is very friendly and customer centric. We would highly recommend San Remo to those who enjoy casual, fine dining with a flavour for Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatJoJoYYCDined on 10/18/2014Love San Remo, it has become one of my neighbourhood faves. Great to dine in or for takeaway pizza. Have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of their Chef's Table evenings as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- last remaining San Remo...keep itMMMDDined on 10/18/2014The San Remo chain are now down to this one alone...but it is great. The food is nicely prepared and beautifully arranged on the plate. The vegetables are nicely paired with the entree....not just two the same for all. The food is delicious...this chef certainly knows what she is doing. Worth the visit, worth going back to, worth keeping it openSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantJennaGDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great service, and great location. Highly recommend. Plus they has $10 Pasta Night (Sunday and Monday).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Every time78LegendDined on 10/4/2014We have been to this restaurant 4 times and every time has left us with the need to come back. Food has always been well flavoured with good portions. My wife is "Gluten Free" and has had excellent results.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stop at the appetizerstallguyDined on 9/27/2014Tried it for the first time this weekend because it is located near us and certainly won't be returning. My girlfriend ordered a sangria because they were on for 6$ that night and I knew right from then that we were in for a poor dinner when it came with frozen bagged fruit in the drink. Gnocchi poutine was delicious for the appetizer and should have just stopped there. Bread and garlic dip was okay. Not warm or any thing. Braised short rib was mediocre at best and would not recommend. The worst of all was the lamb shank, which turned out to be a goulash of lamb, potatoes and sauce with a horrible smell and even worse taste. With 2 less than half eaten meals left on the table the waitress didn't bother to ask us how it was. Poor service.
- RelaxingstilinluvDined on 9/26/2014The week seemed strained with health and personal strife. Gary and I just needed to find a place to catch our breath. The evening gave us a much needed relaxing moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarleyDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food with a great variety. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutoftenDined on 9/14/2014Our reservation was for a Sunday to celebrate our grandson's 20th b'day. We were surprised with a pasta and pizza menu, however everyone enjoyed it and would return for pasta Sunday. It would have been nice if the restaurant could have provided a small dessert for the b'day boy.Special Features:
- Good food, terrible serviceApril12Dined on 9/12/2014The title says it all! Waited 20 minutes for our wine and had to ask for bread. Dirty dishes were left on our table until I handed them to the waitress and asked her to clear them. Service was I attentive and low. Food was delicious as always though!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014All the food was overly salty... from appetizer to meal. Chairs feel worn out. You sink in them & can feel the wood support frame. Told we could not sit at a booth due to reservations yet during the whole time we were there, nobody ever filled those seats. This is the 3rd and last time we will be going. We have never walked out satisfied.
- HarleyDined on 9/6/2014My wife, her friend and I enjoyed a delicious meal on Saturday. We thoroughtly enjoyed the quality and value of the Chef's Special. Service was excellent, staff was very friendly. Another fantastic visit to a local favourite. Outdoor dining was really nice. Great job as usual.Special Features:
- amazingmscherylDined on 9/2/2014One if my favorite places to eat. Great nightly specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We have always enjoyed our dinners at San Remo but this time was quite frankly diabolical. The servers were dressed completely inappropriately and could barely raise a smile. We had the Saturday night chef menu which was a joke. Overlooked salmon placed on frozen peas was barely edible. Our server merely looked at us when we expressed our disappointment. Not once did we see anyone who resembled a manager. We did not make a fuss...but we will not be back & will recommend to others not to go there either.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The menu has improved significantly compared to the almost exclusively pasta menu previously - I like the increased choices including halibut and veal chop.Special Features:
- Quite goodSebastianSaintVIPDined on 8/25/2014Very pleasant dining experience. The food was good and not overly pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this chef knows what he's doingMMMDDined on 8/23/2014San Remo is consistently good but tonite's Chef's Special was outstanding. It started with a piece of salmon, nicely cooked, and served over a bed of pearlized couscous with nectarines and some sprouts; main was chicken breast pieces wrapped around deliciously roasted duck meat and decorated with a saskatoon berry reduction and the berries along with some veggies and topped off with decadent lemon tart for dessert... all for the low price of $30. Every course was large enough for me and some tasting room for my husband too! The portions were very good, the food delicious and beautifully presented. My husband had the rib meal....looked like it had to be trucked in, the portion was so big! Once again, a well prepared nicely flavoured dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014excellent as always even, with my food allergies (dairy)Special Features:
- Good experienceacpyrusDined on 8/20/2014I feel like this restaurant could be really good if they made a few minor changes. The servers were great. The food took quite a bit of time to be served - we were timing and it took them 45 minutes to serve appetizers from the time we ordered. This could have been disastrous since we had young children with us. Fortunately, they served a basket of bread while we waited. My main issue is with the menu itself. It seems like they are trying to be like all of the other Neopolitan pizza places, but come up short. The dough is not crispy or flavorful enough. The toppings have too much unexpected sweetness. My arugula beet salad was 95% arugula with a few shavings of beets. Tough not to compare it with Double Zero's amazing beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not there anymore!TansayDined on 8/18/2014Open table confirmed our reservation and sent us a reminder the day before. We got there. The restaurant was closed! Permanently? Windows papered shut... What happened? I can only submit this review by ticking a box for every question. Needless to say they don't apply! If your special occasion is to "fail to show" this is it!Special Features:
- Truly an experienceEatsoutoftenDined on 8/16/2014Although service was a little slow at first. (There was a wedding dinner, so I think that presented a challenge) but once orders were placed, food came in a timely manner and presented a formidable dinner experience for my guests. I highly recommend the Gnocci, the braised rib, the prosciutto platter or any of their oven baked pizza. The only thing that lacks to me is the wine list. Understanding that the concept stays traditional Italian, I would like to see some California wine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014The food at San remo was fantastic and the attention and service we got was excellent .Special Features:
- LocalDined on 8/3/2014The food was great, service good.there quite a few kids and it was louder than usual. An enjoyable evening .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/27/2014We went to San Remo for their $10 pasta night and it was absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant (try the Chicken Parm) :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 544 reviews are from the San Remo Ristorante - McKenzie Towne reviews archive.
- Great food.Higman63Dined on 7/21/2014I found the food and service to be exceptional. The atmosphere was a little disappointing given that there were quite a few families with smaller children. I would not think of this restaurant as a "kid-friendly" type of dining. My wife and I left the kids at home to have a quiet dinner out. On the flip side; it is nice that families can enjoy great Italian food.Special Features:
- san remoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/21/2014we will, definately, be back to SanRemo. A little noisy, on our recent visit, as there were plenty of children running around. We love children, just not the parents who don't make the little ones behave. Food and service was very good.
- Great Neighborhood SpotJennaGDined on 7/20/2014Food is great, service can vary. $10 Pasta night is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, even better servicetarabearaDined on 7/19/2014I am confused as to why other reviews are saying this place has bad service. Our experience was great, our server was on the ball and lovely to interact with. The servers were very down to earth and seemed like genuinely nice people. The good was good, nothing special, but it was still good. I would go back because of the great service and the good food.Special Features:
- AmazingYummyMommyDined on 7/18/2014Just wanted to write a note saying how great the service and the food was, this was my second time here, my first was for the $10 pasta night ( amazing value for home made pasta) This was a ladies night out for our Wine and B*!&$ club and it was exceptional. They even have beautiful bar height tables on the very private patio with natural gas bonfires built right in. The food was incredible ( try the popcorn as a starter) and the desert was to die for. All very home made and very fresh ingredients. Try this place and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Momof2Dined on 7/18/2014Salads were disappointing but the pasta dishes were better. Other locations may be better but we won't be returning to this one again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itobonpalaisDined on 7/17/2014Loved the experience and will go back. It is great to have such a lovely place with excellent food on our backyard.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodFormercustomerx2Dined on 7/10/2014We have been at this restaurant, plus the one in Garrison Woods, numerous times and the food has always been great. We had out of country guests staying with us and they wanted to try some Italian food. What a mistake at this MacKenzie Towne location. It was a pizza night so we ordered four different pizzas, none good. CANNED mushrooms were used on the mushroom pizza, ugh... Crust burnt on another. Very little pepperoni on another. Prosciutto just placed across the top of another after the pizza had been cut. We were totally embarrassed to have taken our guests there. So sad that a once good restaurant has gone so downhill with the food quality. Thank goodness the wait staff were nice..
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Yvonne was fantastic. .. very friendly and accommodated our extra requests like mussels for an appetizer since it want on the $10 pasta night menu. we will be back! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerJodyDined on 7/7/2014Everything was fantastic, as usual. Don't know what else to say. Pair your favorite fish or chicken pasta with some Sokol Evolution!!!! Family had gluten free items, which were substituted at no extra charge. This place is 5/5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies Lunchlsj321Dined on 7/7/2014I wanted to take my friends for lunch and had seen that San Remo was open and so we went there and had a lovely time. The food was excellent, service friendly and ambiance perfect for us to have a nice long visit! I'll go back with my husband next time! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.