313 S. Guadalupe Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://kohnamisantafe.com/
- Phone: 5059842002x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:15pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Yuzuru Shimoda, Taka Ayamoto, Noboru Kiuchi(south location)
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Traditional tatami rooms available.
- Private Party Contact: Hee Joo Lee 5059920304x
- Entertainment: Regularly we have artisan free sake tasting.
- Cross Street: Aztec
- Public Transit: Downtown plaza or nearby hotels, like Eldorado or Hotel Santa Fe.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in the heart of downtown and next to the Lensic Theatre. Sandoval parking building is just around the corner and some public or private parking lots and street parkings are available. Also if you stay at one of the downtown hotels, leave your car there and just walk to the restaurant!
A word from Kohnami Restaurant
Located in downtown Santa Fe, Kohnami Japanese Restaurant has been in business since 1998. Boasting a beautiful and unique outside patio, delectable tapas, and a sundry array of sushi and cuisine, Kohnami has frequently appeared as one of the top 25 restaurants in local magazines such as The Reporter and IQ. We are known as one of the best sushi restaurants in Santa Fe. With everything from chicken teriyaki and miso soup to special “Kohnami” rolls, we guarantee an authentic Japanese experience that will send your mouth and mind onto a memorable journey worth revisiting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kohnami Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A Gem!KatydidVIPDined on 7/25/2014Not your typical sushi spot......as there is no sushi. Just wonderful, fresh fish finds in tapas! We had 6 of them between the 2 of us and were not disappointed. They have dinners menu, also. The wait staff were the very best ever.....so attentive and happy and truly caring. Chef was from Japan and we could tell in his food that he was original!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu and Format at San QJohnVIPDined on 7/17/2014San Q used to be a very good "Sushi Bar/Japanese Restaurant" of the typical sort with very good service, nice atmosphere, and well above average at good value - we were regular visitors. They have changed the menu/service so that it is now a "Special Japanese Restaurant" where it is about the sushi chef, Japanese restaurant culture and authenticity - this means many fewer choices, more chef chosen assortments, much less interest in English clarity, and twice the price. Although much of the food - the authentic wasabi in particular - was excellent, I found the entire experience, in particular the waiter's desire to give me an unexpected and unwanted lesson in Japanese food culture annoying - particularly when I had to pay a premium for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Japanese foodRVEatsDined on 6/22/2014Maybe the best Japanese food we've ever had in our lives. Not your typical sushi place. This is creative food from the old country. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New format menunordicaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Since our last visit San Q has started to offer a 3-4 course set prix menu as an option to their 'small bites' menu. One can choose their 'entree' protein...and the sushi bar has disappeared. The fish quality was good, as was the nato...a side of unctuous eggplant is sure to satisfy your umami craving. Very slow the night we were there, I hope they get more business as the summer progresses...a nice seating area in the ally would be fun after the sun sets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentically awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2014My wife and I had a great night dining and chatting with the owner. we are both chef and appreciated the owners goal to provide a typical Japanese dining experience with out the presence americanized sushi rolls etc. While we love those things we quite enjoyed real wasabi, hand made seaweed weed salad and chefs choice fish selections. We left our meal in the able hands of the owner and chefs and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Japanese TapasHyliteDined on 5/4/2014A very unusual find of Japanese small plates, tasty and differentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menucaminogalDined on 4/10/2014The new lunchtime menu is much smaller. I miss the bento box!Special Features:
- Unusually bad visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend out to our favorite sushi place in town, and had an unusually bad visit. We were not provided with the drink/wine menu upon seating. Our server was super busy, and took a while to come back around to us to take our order. My food arrived first, and after about 10 minutes of waiting, he came by again to tell us that her sushi roll was forgotten. More waiting for it to arrive, then had to ask for the little dishes for soy sauce. Our server said he would take off the roll that was forgotten, but when the check arrived (again, had to flag him down and ask), we were charged for both. I work at a large business downtown, and personally know the chef, so I will be back, but obviously on a much slower night for the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for after theaterlocalpatronDined on 1/24/2014Warm and cozy place to have a post-Lensic supper on a cold winter night. Hot sake and sushi or tempura. Delicious and friendly.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodJohnVIPDined on 1/24/2014Keep coming back - very good Japanese food in a nice atmosphere at a good price. First rate sashimi and rolls. Service is a little inconsistent - slow when they are moderately busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent sushiJohnVIPDined on 11/1/2013Regular diners at San Q whenever we are in Santa Fe. Good location close to the Plaza and parking, no one single thing makes this restaurant special - instead it is a combination of consistent execution, high quality ingrediants, good friendly service in a simple, comfortable Japanese themed interior all at reasonable prices. The front of the restaurant is a little busier with nice quiet tables in the back. I wish they had a full liquor license not just beer, wine, and sake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time in restaurant,FrogVIPDined on 8/2/2013Third time in restaurant, with out of town friends who like small plates. My wife and I like Japanese food well enough, but our friends REALLY like San Q, and being from southern California they have plenty of experience with Japanese cuisine. It was nice for them to be able to find a place like this among the many great chile spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Green chile tempura sushitacogirlDined on 7/21/2013Wonderful food, unusual combinations, sushi good, the "tapas" unique and traditional; unfortunately not much business and outside patio a little sad..a few potted plants would help. But go..it's really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I highly recommend.nmhamDined on 7/20/2013Food was delicious, service was excellent! Sushi portions were on the smaller scale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!HelenVIPDined on 7/14/2013SO glad Santa Fe has San Q! My husband and I had a wonderful dinner for a great price. Menu is outstanding! So many things to choose from - and if you don't like raw sushi, that's okay! They have many things you will LOVE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/31/2013We came to celebrate the beginning of summer vacation with our kids, ages 10 and 12. The experience was great. There is a variety of choices on the menu and the kids enjoyed trying all the different types of sushi and tapas. The service was efficient and friendly. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation for Valentine'OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013I made a reservation for Valentine's Day. We were seated at a table but 5 minutes later, we were asked to move when a larger party arrived. We were moved to a table for two and then forgotten. The table we were sitting at previously was directly across from us and they received drinks and food before anyone even brought water or silverware to our table. I'm not sure what happened. Possibly they were busier than they expected to be. We eventually received drinks and food by being covered by a mix of three servers. We were determined to have a good time no matter what so we enjoyed ourselves. The atmosphere is pleasant and the food was good. It was our first time so I would order differently if I go again.
- Sushi and Tapis were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013Sushi and Tapis were very good. The "regular" items on the menue were just ok
- It was my daughters birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/9/2013It was my daughters birthday and we had lunch there because she wanted sushi. Excellent is what I can say, food was delicious! They sent us a banana dessert in honor of my daughters birthday that was soooo good! A little pricey for dinner but it is downtown Santa Fe, lunch was a bout 60 (incl. tax & gratuity) for 4 ppl. for lunch. We did not have cocktails.Special Features:
- Notable Lack of Hospitality !STCJVIPDined on 1/1/2013We selected this restaurant for New Year's day lunch. Although, they accepted our reservation through OpenTable, from the minute we arrived, we got the rush act with the owner/cook rushing us through our meal, sending out our tapas faster than we could eat or enjoy eating them. Our last two tapas, which were to be our final course, were sent out before we were ready. Both were hot items, but served on ice cold plates. By the time, we got to them, the food was cold - ice cold plates + hot food = cold food! All this because the owner/cook wanted to close asap. Our take away - Have no idea if food was any good, but we can say, "This is the most inhospitable restaurant in Santa Fe."
- Average at San QOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012It's a nice spot location wise right next to the lensic. Perfect for something quick or a drink ur you're there for a show with little time. We were a little displeased with a few our selections chicken was overlooked in the teriyaki dish and one of our sushi rolls was not a hit. The wings and dumplings were tasty however . We felt like we got ushered out a but quickly being that we were only table there at time and they probably closed early . Our check was dropped before our food was gone . I'd give it another try but not for a complete dinner maybe for a snack and some sakeSpecial Features:
- Very happy to know there isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012Very happy to know there is a very fine restaurantSpecial Features:
- San Q -wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2012Monday night was our first experience at San Q before seeing Aaron Neville at the Lensic. Everything about our experience was great and we will certainly go back as well as recommending San Q to our friends. Also very cool that it is on Burro Alley right downtown.Special Features:
- Nice dining room, can sitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2012Nice dining room, can sit on pillows with faux sunken table for fun. Good shrimp tempura and unique spring rolls! They need better choices for wine by the glass.!Special Features:
- Always fresh & fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2012Kohnami's sister restaurant is perfectly suited for this Burro Alley location. The service is always friendly and fast. The menu offers the unique & unusual Japas (Japanese Tapas) section, as well as the cooked (Teriaki...), soup (Udon noodles...) and raw (sushi...) options creatively prepared and presented. They also have Wheat-Free Tamari available. A nice wine, sake and beer selection. Usually two sake flights to choose from. It's a very open & spacious place with several different rooms, but we like the Tatami tables around to the left of the small sushi bar, over the bridge and on the right side under the windows. We have our favorite items, but try something new each time. Try the Red Bean Mochi for dessert! - Mason & JenniferSpecial Features:
- The cooked food here- theLadyvlnVIPDined on 8/11/2012The cooked food here- the tapas was really great. The service ws friendly and really excellent. I wish the sushi had been better, but the japanese tapas was really worth coming back for!Special Features:
- Japanese Tapas outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Japanese Tapas outstanding. Spicy Tuna Roll with a Santa Fe twist.Special Features:
- Great sushi in Santa Fe? Yes, yes!SantaFayDined on 7/19/2012Fresh, delicious sushi in Santa Fe. We were looking for a nice light dinner before a concert. This was perfect. And a special treat as well...it was my husband's birthday, which I had noted on the reservation. I had hoped for a special table, which we were given, but the hostess and waitress also brought out a nice dessert with a candle, and did their very best "Happy Birthday from San Q".Special Features:
- anyone who thinks no goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/7/2012anyone who thinks no good sushi or Japanese food in s.west must go here! outstanding and creative food and atmosphere! can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Great restaurant with an incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012Great restaurant with an incredible menu. I could have just I could have just ordered of the Off the appetizer menu and been more than satisfied witb the selection.Special Features:
- A new favorite for me. Wonderfulhoneybear1Dined on 5/13/2012A new favorite for me. Wonderful Tapas choices and excellent Udon. Udon brother was nice and woodsy flavored.Special Features:
- An okay light dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/30/2012This was an okay place for a light dinner. Not remarkable, not poor. Fish was fresh and good. Pickles were very nice. Kimchee was good. That night they had no uni, no hamachi-toro, and apparently no shiso leaf. The tempura chili was okay-good. Not overly special, just straight batter fried green chili. The highlight was the two different sake tasting flights we shared. That is fun and tasty. Decor was a bit tired, but we loved the calligraphy on the walls.
- With so many really greatcarolmacDined on 4/15/2012With so many really great Japanese restaurants downtown, this would be my last choice. It was adequate but not as good as it's sister restaurant Kohnami.Special Features:
- A Happy Surprise!anitakDined on 3/30/2012What a happy surprise to discover San-Q. The food was both traditional and innovative Japanese fare. Fresh and delicious. We definitely will be back!
- very good sushi in an interestingRobtVIPDined on 3/17/2012very good sushi in an interesting space. Attentive service and a pleasant ambiance.Special Features:
- Another good Japanese restaurantJKP99Dined on 3/8/2012It was nearly empty on our visit despite it being restaurant week. It is still pretty new. Sushi and sashimi dishes were well presented, fresh, and tasty. The sashimi was described as 12 pieces, but they were mostly very small. Still, an adequate quantity. green tea tiramisu was excellent
- The sashimi was well prepared.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2012The sashimi was well prepared. The rest of the meal was not note worthy.
- Excellent and very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/3/2012Excellent and very helpful service. Food was very good.
- Good option for high desert sushinordicaVIPDined on 2/4/2012First time visit, a nice addition to the downtown sushi scene. We really enjoyed the ambience and since it was slow, we had a good time with the sushi chef and the servers. The fish was fresh and a nice selection, the soba was tasty and the tempura green chili a nice 'tapa'. We will go back...prices very reasonable for sushi in Santa Fe.
- I wasn't impressed with theSantaFeBobDined on 2/3/2012I wasn't impressed with the food. The shrimp shimai was doughy and I couldn't taste any shrimp filling. The sushi wasn't very tasty. The service, however, was great.