19 East 26th Street
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sd26ny.com/
- Phone: 2122655959x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm -11:00 pm,
Friday & Saturday 5:30 pm - 11:30 pm,
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am - 4:00 pm
SUNDAYS AVAILABLE FOR PRIVATE FUNCTIONS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matteo Bergamini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are a full-service catering and event-planning company specializing in exquisite Italian cuisine and gracious service.
We can provide all the necessary components to achieve an exceptional event of any kind from 10 guests to 1000.
- Special Events: We offer private dining in The Balcony Room and The Wine Connoisseur's Room, for festive entertaining.
The Balcony Room: Lunch and Dinner, seats 60 guests, can hold standing reception for up to 100 guests.
The Wine Connoisseur's Room: Seats 22
- Cross Street: E 26th St. Between 5th and Madison Aves.
- Public Transit: 6 train-28th Street Lexington & Park
N & R trains-23rd Street Between 5th & Broadway
Buses: 5th Ave & Madison Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking garages located in the area thru Central Parking Systems.
12 East 22nd St (Between 5th and Madison)
55 West 26th St (Between 5th and 6th Ave.)
A word from SD26 Restaurant
The modern, sexy, upbeat SD26 Restaurant, designed by Massimo Vignelli, is co-owned by legendary father daughter restaurateurs Tony May & Marisa May. SD26 brings a dining experience that is both special and seductive and sets the scene in first class Italian style for tasting of contemporary flavors that are unmistakably Italian created by Executive Chef Matteo Bergamini.Continued
Exciting SD26 Wine Bar with electronic Enomatic wine dispensers and SD26 smart cards is a great way to be your own sommelier!
Exciting SD26 Wine Bar with electronic Enomatic wine dispensers and SD26 smart cards is a great way to be your own sommelier!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SD26 Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)special occasion (121)notable wine list (94)romantic (77)great for lunch (69)neighborhood gem (69)good for groups (63)vibrant bar scene (48)hot spot (34)great for brunch (18)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014They need a new bartender, 10 minutes to get served at the bar with 3 other patrons there, but i guess the barman preferred to speak to his work colleague at one end of the bar before walking to the other end and talking to another colleague before he eventually come over to serve me.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/21/2014In reviewing my lunch here in July, I said it was "one of my best Restaurant Week lunches ever." Returning for lunch in August has reinforced that judgment. And I can now add the perfectly grilled, sweet and plump diver scallops to my list of highly recommended dishes.Special Features:
- Always Sensational SD- 26BigFanVIPDined on 8/20/2014SD-26 is the best expression of fine delicious food, caring service, beautiful ambiance and the most caring hosts in NYC. Only the finest ingredients are used, the dishes 'glow' with color and goodness, the cheeses and meats are cut fresh just for your plate, the pastas - OMG!, and the fish cooked perfectly every time. Whatever you order will be the height of perfection without pretense. Desserts are the crowning touch. The mostly Italian Wine List is a gift of all the wines you know to be great drinking and some you should try! A meal here adds up to a long-time memory of sheer pleasure.Special Features:
- GreyrockGreyrockDined on 8/19/2014Took advantage of the continued Restaurant Week dinner special with a group of co-workers. Great food as always. The Uvo Raviolo appetizer is a classic that is amazing.Special Features:
- DisapppointingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went for Restaurant Week. The food's taste was good, but there were issues. The ravioli with the egg yolk in it was stone cold. An entree came with vegetables, some of which were piping hot while the diced zucchini on top was, again, stone cold. The macaroons in the petit fours were chewy, like gum. The quality of service was not what I expected from this restaurant. Our waiter came to take our order, then the rest of the meal was handled by busboys, some of whom were brusque to the point of rudeness. Our food came in rapid succession until we got to the entree, whereupon we waited a good twenty minutes. And the tiny alcove we were seated at was hot. A Voce across the street was far superior. Overall, I wouldn't return.
- NirvanaLeovilDined on 8/15/2014SD26 delivered outstanding experience. Interior is ideal, food - superb, portions generous, stuff - tactful and courteous. Thank you! I will definitely come again - and bring friendsSpecial Features:
- AnonymousVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had an excellent experience, dining upstairs. Service was exceptional! We will definitely be back. Thank you.Special Features:
- Good Italian with Slow ServiceMWexDined on 8/14/2014You enter a large bar area, and the "wine machine" catches the eye. It turns out to allow expensive wine by the glass that are rarely by the glass. We got seated quickly, but service from then on was slow (and this was a Thursday, so not so crowded). The wine/drinks were on an iPad, a clever if annoying process. The menu is a nice mix of Northern Italian with the usual pastas, but some nice meat and game dishes. Overall, the food was very good, underspiced in some areas. The table was too small for all the various things on it, and the plates themselves are huge (making the food look small), so things can get crowded on the table. But it's a nice space inside, the food was good, and the service, though slow at times, was friendly.Special Features:
- Wonderful and Innovative ItalianDaveVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had a group of six for dinner, celebrating my wifes 60th birthday with our children and their significant others. The restaurant accommodated us by seating us in the upstairs "small" room, often used for private parties, and this was terrific for the quiet setting, and lively family talk. The Restaurant Week menu ( a hopeful option) was very generous with options, and portions were substantial. Everything from the bread, salumeri (extra), to the dessert wine (on the house) was great. Our waiter was very knowedgable and accommodating with a wine that I brought, in addition to offering suggestions, each of which was delicious. Over all, a great experience, and especially good value; we will return soon.Special Features:
- GreyrockGreyrockDined on 8/14/2014Returned with other friends to take advantage of Restaurant Week lunch. Menu is extensive, even for RW, so there was no issue in sampling new dishes. My lunch partners were late, but the hostess was very gratious in holding the reservation. Food was again superb. This is my favorite restaurant in the area. Regular prix fix lunch and "quadrafoglio" also are good values when not during RW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodChameleonDined on 8/13/2014Absolutely nothing inspired about the food. Very one note. No nuance. Service was intrusive rather than attentive.Special Features:
- The Best of Restaurant Week!elaine463Dined on 8/13/2014The restaurant served a very varied and delicious Restaurant Week Menu featuring a large selection of highlights from their regular menu. We had the honey-marinated seared tuna as our entree, probably the best cooked tuna I ever tasted, plus sea bass crudo, homemade sorbet and panna cotta. Because it was my friend's birthday, they also sent over an extra dessert (tiramisu) plus dessert wines on the house. Service is gracious and personal -- owners Tony and Marisa make the rounds and visit each table. Our lunch at SD26 was by far the best of this year's Restaurant Week sampling. We have eaten at this restaurant many times and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for lunchDinernotEaterDined on 8/7/2014I have dined at SD26 once before at lunch and was very impressed. However dinner was another story. Unfortunately it was very crowded and extremely noisy. The service started out fabulously but as it got busier it got less and less attentive. I was as impressed as I was the first time with the food however the dinner "scene" isn't for me.Special Features:
- Divine ExperiencePandodaVIPDined on 8/7/2014How can you not enjoy this amazing Italian food restaurant in a room with soaring ceiling and modern decor. The Egg ravioli was heaven sent as an appetizer and the grilled scallops melted in your mouth. Best Tiramisu I've had in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything fab!HappyDined on 8/6/2014The bar, the service and attention, the food, the decor! All really wonderful! We had an early dinner reservation during restaurant week -- and it lived up to what I had been told - and more. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME FIND!!CarrieDined on 8/5/2014Best Dinner I ever had!!! The scallops were to die for and very friendly waiters, a definite must visit again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, consistent, quality.GreyrockDined on 8/5/2014Been here several times. Will continue to return. This visit was for restaurant week dinner but their normal prix fee lunch is also a value. Still want to return to sample the "quadrofoglio" lunch offerings a well. Food is outstanding and service is attentive yet not overbearing. Menu is varried to suite anyone's taste. The "ovo raviolo" appetizer plate is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business setting1cwbusinessDined on 8/5/2014Went to the restaurant for a business dinner and the restaurant did an awesome job from a service perspective. Everyone seems to really enjoy their meal. Mine, however was good but not great. I ordered the fresh heirloom tomatoes and frankly they were dissapointing...It's August and I get better tomatoes from my local produce stand. My main course of fish was very, very good and the cappucino was a bit strong and bitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCeciliaDined on 8/5/2014I Know the cooking and always appreciate the clean kitchen, the culinary cooking skill at SD26. Every time I invited my friends over, they all love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnchorDined on 8/5/2014We had an outstanding lunch during Restaurant Week and feel this was one of the finest meals I've had in NYC. The others in my party were as impressed as I was.The food, service and ambience were amazing, and I look forward to returning in the future.Special Features:
- mediocrefoodienycVIPDined on 8/5/2014The food while inspirational in menu wasn't executed particularly well. The sea urchin pasta was watery, and the beef cheeks over gnocchi was bland and required a lot of salt. When I asked for an iced tea refill mid meal ( which should have been noticed) it took almost 10 minutes for a new one by which time I was nearly done eating. Overall, disappointing.Special Features:
- DonnaVIPDined on 8/4/2014I love the ambiance of this restaurant and the delicious food. It is a great place to go with a friend for a special evening. And their restaurant week menu is one of the best in the city. Everyone I take to the restaurant falls in love with it. I return over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent servicesardarDined on 8/4/2014This was my first time at SD26 and I was more than pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent as was the service. My friend and I had a thoroughly enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Since it's costly to eat here, we save it for special occasions. This was our 4th time, and as usual, food was great, but was upset with the restaurant this time, which is why I only gave it a very good rating, instead of outstanding. I checked the restaurant website re restaurant week, and Sat dinner was listed so that is when we made a reservation. Once there, we were told that it was only Mon - Fri. I told them about website, no one listened. I should have been more forceful, and had them look. When I checked on the computer at home, there it was. I called, spoke with a woman, who said they would remove it. I should have at been offered a free drink or appetizer the next time I go. We spent more than expected that night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service still lacking...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Second visit to SD26 with the same group as the first time. The Salumeria is exceptional and overall the food was good but this was the last time for us. Service starts off strong but just like the last time we found the server to be inattentive about half way through the meal. $360+ for a group of four warrants better service, period.Special Features:
- Service evaporatedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Food was very good, and the service was decent up to a point. But there was almost an hour delay between the appetizers and the main course that the Maitre D, without ostensible embarrassment, attributed to the time it took to cook a steak. Even though the number of tables in the restaurant is not excessive, the noise level in the main dining room is awful when it's full thanks to the flat walls with sharp angles, suggesting the designers were either ignorant of acoustical principles established over a century ago or somehow believed that cacophony is cool. Food was excellent, and the space is beautiful, so it's unfortunate that it's total amateur-hour in other areas.
- annem430Dined on 8/1/2014Very generous menu for restaurant week dinner. Delicious food, excellent service, lovely environment. owner Marisa is wonderful, was stopping by tables to chat. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueSusieDined on 8/1/2014This was my second time eating here. Loved everything about it our waiter maxwell was a gem very efficient but not in your face! Would definitely return!! Check out the pre fix Awsome deal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedElaineVIPDined on 8/1/2014Restaurant Week is not a good time to judge a restaurant. Our visit was disappointing. The food was not outstanding, and the service was indifferent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We chose our dinner from the Restaurant Week and it was wonderful. There were a lot of choices on the pre-fixe (more than most restaurants offer). I would definitely recommend to others for dinner but I cannot speak about lunch or brunch since I have not eaten meals there at those times. I cannot specifically recommend this restaurant (#2) because nothing on the above list fits the occasion. Why is a simple "great for dinner" not listed? The service is less than desirable--our waiter was too aggressive in the beginning and then disappeared after we placed orders. He only reappeared to bring us the check--never even asked if we wanted coffee, tea or after dinner drinks. Fortunately the food was worth the aggravation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure this was worth itKattiDined on 7/31/2014Unfortunately since it was restaurant week we ended up being seated in the banquet area. You are really not part of the restaurant. .We were 4 but seated at a table for 6 so a little hard to have a conversation. After being seated for 30 minutes the waiter came to ask what we wanted to order and we had to inform him we had not yet been given the menus. During these 30 minutes two bus boys had tried to bring us food that obvious was not our food - it was actually a little comical. Once we ordered the food came fast. Some dishes were delicious and some very mediocre .Our waiter was very nice - the disorganization comes from up above . The chairs were the stackable once so think they just add these tables during restaurant week.
- Good food/Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2014For me, a memorable experience is usually great food+good service (it's all about the food), a good experience is good food+good service. I am not sure how to rate SD26 this time. Food and wine were good, but the level of noise was so high (for dinner) and the service so poor my previous good experience at this place was erased from my memory.Special Features:
- Special PlacemgsgeoDined on 7/31/2014Everything top shelf. Food is too good to describe. Atmosphere is vibrant and electric.Special Features:
- SD ALWAYS CONSISTENT and deliciouskathyDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I love this restaurant and try to go there as often as we are in NYC. This time we caught Restaurant Week and the deal was great. We both had the Raviolo appetizer (again) This is a do not miss when you go there. I followed with a generous portion of scallops and my husband had the veal....both generous and perfectly cooked. We find SD 26 to be consistenly good and always a perfect meal. We would certainly recommend this restaurant to our friendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2014During RW, went for the first time. Fantastic experience. The staff was friendly and professional. Never needed to ask for water refills or bread. And the food!!!! Lovely choices. Had the pasta for a first course and it was the best I've had-- al dente and with a light, flavorful sauce. My friend had the mozzarella and tomato and loved it. We both had the scallops. Excellent. The panna cotta was fantastic and my friend completely enjoyed her gelato. Will definitely return and this restaurant should be on everyone's list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comtemporary ItalianjcmeatloverVIPDined on 7/30/2014Went for Restaurant week with 6 friends, everyone was happy with the food, drinks and service. I got the Lobster Tagliolini to start, tasty bisque sauce, not as heavy as I thought and generous portions. Entree - Tuna Steak, cooked perfectly, refreshing and seasonal sides, again great portions. I was quite full so I got gelato for dessert, 4 assortments, perfect end.Special Features:
- Food decent, server a jerkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Uova ravioli was awesome. Bass was under seasoned but edible. Server was a jerk.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent. Noise too loud. Did not like waiting to be seated when one of our party was delayed.
- Very good food, superb serviceCeceGDined on 7/30/2014My daughters brought us here for our 30th wedding anniversary and we were really pleased. We tasted each other's food and there was nothing that we didn't like! Our favorite dishes were the beef cheek and the rabbit. The striped bass was good, however the flavor could have been punched up a little. The service was wonderful! The wait staff was very attentive, extremely polite. Our table was perfect, but I did note that some were very close. Nothing unusual, however, for NY restaurants. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014too noisy could not hear each other service generally good but spotty. food excellent.Special Features: