Sam's on the Waterfront
2020 Chesapeake Harbour Drive East
Annapolis, MD 21403Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sam's on the Waterfront
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.samsonthewaterfront.com/
- Phone: 4102633600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Tues - Sat: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Lounge Open Late Night
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Clarke
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to the highly acclaimed “Sam's on the Waterfront”. You are very important to us & catering your next special event is our number one concern. As you enter, you step into a World of hip elegance and quiet charm; all tastefully appointed for your special occasion. Our staff is ready and able to cater to your every desire. We offer on and off-Premise catering with both Butler Service or a Plated Affair. With a catering menu of over 30 pages we can create any event you may be dreaming of. We do on and off premise catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Sam's on the Waterfront can help plan or execute any private party which you can imagine. Inside or out let us make your next event unforgettable.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Parks 4102633600
- Entertainment: Offering the best local & live Jazz & Acoustic entertainment every Friday & Saturday Nights starting at 7:00ish, Sam's also offers the best local acoustic music Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights at Proud Mary's Dock Bar which is open seasonally.
Cooking classes offered monthly!
Small craft whiskey dinner in December, look for scotch and wine dinners throughout the year!
New Years Eve Extravaganza!
- Special Events: Choose Sam's for all of your special Events: New Years Extravaganza, Traditional Thanksgiving Day Dinner, Easter and Mothers Day Special Dinner menus! Wine, Scotch and Tequila & Beer Tastings, as well as great weekly Specials. We also do on and off premise catering, step out of the ordinary and into an event that will be like none other you have ever had.
A word from Sam's on the Waterfront
“Well worth the Trip” Is what the Washington Post and many others say about Sam’s on the Waterfront. Tucked away in the middle of Chesapeake Harbour Marina, Sam’s is a true visual and culinary experience. Built in 1986 & designed after the historic Spider legged Screw pile lighthouses, this uniquely crafted building on the water, provides the most elegant of settings. Make no mistake about it Sam’s is dedicated to providing the most fresh, creative dining experience possible. Their Exec. Chef William Clarke will tailor your meal to meet any of your special requirements and their staff will make sure that all of your expectations will be met.Sam’s has a truly remarkable modern American cuisine w/ regional influences. The menus change seasonally with weekly special. Winner of Wine Spectators & Wine Enthusiast "Award of Excellent" and Zagat's "Best Bet Award" Sam's offers the best live Music every Friday and Saturday Nights. Sam's outside Dock Bar & Cafe open Seasonally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sam's on the Waterfront - Best Restaurants in Annapolis ›
Sam's on the Waterfront reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (21)great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (12)special occasion (9)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Awesome, as alwayssail2xxsDined on 10/23/2014Good food and great service keep bringing us back.Special Features:
- Good food!LuvtoeatDined on 10/23/2014Food is very good, but our server was extremely slow and had an attitude! Could have done without him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SAMsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Very disappointing to say the least. One entree lamb shank was all fat and unbeatable. The chef did take it off the bill. The duck was ok but no thought to presentation and the veg and starch were runny and just slopped on. Very overpriced for marginal food at best. They do have good wings and a decent burger. The Brie app was actually very good.Special Features:
- MasonMasonDined on 10/23/2014They have a wonderful chef who previously owned two other restaurants in town (moving from on location to another). I went with two friends for an half price dinner and can say that the food was deliciously prepared. The noise level and poor service took away any benefits we might have received.Special Features:
- Needs a little help!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Ordered a Cosmo and sent it back. Bartender needs to learn how to make a cosmopolitan. I ordered shrimp diablo and the sauce was so hot I could hardly eat it, but I did not send it back. My husband had a lamb shank and loved it esp. the sauce. The waitress asked if we were celebrating a special occasion. I told her it was my husbands birthday. I guess the restaurant does not believe in doing something special for customers birthday. Anyway, enjoy coming when it is warm and sitting outside. Appetizers are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobbieDined on 10/10/2014A good amout of food for lunch. Service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/1/2014We were a party of 6 with an 11:30 AM lunch reservation (made 3 weeks in advance). One other table inside was occupied by a party of 2. It took almost 1 hour from the time we placed our food order until we received it. The food was delicious but none of us ordered anything that required an hour to prepare (3 of us had a salad or cold sandwiches). There was one wait staff person to handle the 2 occupied inside tables and 1 outside table, which should have been fine. We've eaten dinner here and service wasn't nearly as slow but it also wasn't quick, either. Allow yourself plenty of time.Special Features:
- LousyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Great view. Mediocre food and mediocre service. It had a really "stuffy" feel to itSpecial Features:
- goodfood53Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent menu, excellent view and excellent service!Special Features:
- Walked outNiceviewthoughDined on 8/31/2014Waited 25 minutes with a reservation and open tables before I walked out. In that time three other parties also walked out. The hostess kept forgetting who we were and what we were waiting on even though it was not busy and would leave the host stand unattended constantly. I was looking forward to eating here because my friend recommended it and the view is great, but the staff ignored customers. Even at the bar another customer left complaining that no one would take his order. This ended up putting a damper on our night as we had to then find another place and wait for a table so we didn't get to eat until very late.Special Features:
- Fine to dineadchotinVIPDined on 8/23/2014Sam's had been around for more than 40 years but out certainly doesn't show it's age. The setting (in a marina development) allows you to have a view of boats and water while eating good (but not outstanding) good. The menu is not one of the 20 page types but does contain land, air and sea entries of sufficient quantity to give everyone a choice. The good is well prepared and the service attentive. A local favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickDined on 8/16/2014Food was good but not great. Service was slow. For the price of the meal, I expected better service.Special Features:
- great on the water diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014We ate outside and watched the boats coming and going. The waiter (Chris) was great. My mai tai rivaled the ones I get in Maui and our crabcake sandwich (mine) and Kobe burger (his) were very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great but not bad at alltt33Dined on 8/3/2014Took my mom here for her birthday with my sister. I'm sure she enjoyed it more than me (which is a good thing). Overall the restaurant is okay. It did have a strange smell, but I attribute that to the restaurant's close vicinity to the waterfront. The carpet really needs a good cleaning. My appetizer plate and my fork were dirty. I didn't really enjoy what I ordered (stuffed french toast), it was okay I guess... but I had some of what my mom had (the crab cake) and it was delicious. The waitress was very nice and the service was good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Food was OK, nothing that stood out. Extremely loud.Special Features:
- Disappointing EveningWarrenDined on 8/2/2014Had reservations for dinner with friends at 7:30 Saturday night. After being seated it took an inordinate amount of time to be served. There were clearly to few staff waiting tables and in the kitchen. Apparently the dishwashers wre otherwise engaged as my bourbon arrived in a tumbler. The food, when it arrived was OK, but the experience cast some doubt on my choice of restaurant. I will not hurry back.
- Worst Dinner in AnnapolisOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014Last night 4 of us had dinner at Sams. Not only was the service awful, but the food was inedible - when they actually brought it. We ordered 4 appetizers - only to receive 3. Later were told we could have the 4th AFTER DINNER IF WE STILL WANTED IT. Tuna was swimming in poorly prepared slop and totally disgusting. I've had better food, better prepared and presented at a diner. Our waitress was clueless and totally unaware. One salad came without dressing and drinks were beyond difficult to come by. The acoustics were awful - you could barely hear someone inches away and the manager never even asked how we were doing when it was obvious we were very unhappy. The place is dated and looks in need of an update and felt dirty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014Service started out great but after our appetizers were served, it appeared we were forgotten. 2 tables adjacent to us came in after us and had their complete meal before our entree was served.
- Step BackwardsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2014Start with good. Immediate seating and scallops were fresh and tasty. Waitress was not wine knowledgeable. A long introduction for the special menu for the evening and then when ordered, pork, they were out of it. Ordered crab cakes from menu and they were out of them. Settled on a strip steak that was probably the worst piece of meat that I have ever had...almost inedible because of gristle and overcooked. A second steak was presented which was a small portion, very thin and again overcooked. Something has happened to the quality of service at Sam's, something that has taken it off of my nighttime favorites. With the service and quality of food, at least they should have offered some deduction on meal cost, which they didn't!Special Features:
- Pretty Setting, Nice StaffNJaiVIPDined on 7/6/2014That is about all I can say for this establishment. They have a lot of work to do in their kitchen. We went for brunch, and my food came out cold (literally, below room temperature), my husband's was missing an ingredient (sausage, how do you do that?), and my son's crepes just didn't taste good (probably the least of our problems). The staff was very accommodating in trying to fix everything, but it was a little ridiculous after a while (there were more smaller problems). All in all, while it was a nice location, we won't be back.Special Features:
- The following 496 reviews are from the Sam's on the Waterfront reviews archive.
- Not a Sam's fanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014My husband and I took a friend for Sunday brunch. I used the online reservation option, which was easy and worked great. We arrived at Sam's earlier than the reservation time, but were able to be seated immediately. Although the view from the dining area was nice and the atmosphere pleasant, it did not make up for the extremely poor service and average food. When we saw our server, which was rare, we had to ask for coffee refills on three different occasions. Our food took no less than 40 minutes to arrive after ordering. The place didn't even seem that busy. Lots of open tables around us. Our food was decent, but definitely not worth the price. Poor service + average food + high prices = go someplace else for brunch.Special Features:
- A disappointmentGrendelDined on 6/22/2014The view was not what we expected from the website and the food was bland and completely indistinguished. The restaurant was loud and made conversation harder than needed to be for brunch. The maître di seemed bored. Our server was quite nice and pleasant. My recommendation, don't go, there are much better places in Annapolis
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Wonderful dinner from beginning to end. Crab cakes and Rockfish were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad choice....spetzoldDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband there for Father's Day and it was our first time there; and last. It took almost two hours to get our good and not once did anyone try and smooth it over with an explanation. When the food arrived it was over cooked and only then was an apology offered; no explanation. Terrible service and food.
- Sam's for lunchNickDined on 6/14/2014Had lunch at Sam's, lovely view, competent staff however the lobster roll had no taste, the cole slaw was warm. Special of the day was good, a filet sandwich and soup. Might try again, but not the lobster roll!Special Features:
- Sam's ExperienceEMillerDined on 6/7/2014I was nervous that they wouldn't take a reservation for outdoor seating but they were more than accommodating. We had 5 adults and a high chair. Great table, good server and the food was awesome. We had never been there before but we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing BrunchMSBowlVIPDined on 6/1/2014We have been to Sam's many times for dinner, and have always found the food and service to be consistently good. Sunday, we took some friends for Brunch. Unfortunately, this experience was disappointing. I ordered the Chef's omelet (spinach, bacon and swiss). My omelet arrived instead with spinach, mushrooms and swiss. I do not eat mushrooms, and explained to our waiter that my omelet was to have bacon, not mushrooms. He takes my plate and returns promptly with bacon tucked into the fold of my omelet. I immediately showed him that the mushrooms were still there, and I would not eat something I didn't order. Finally, it was corrected. Our friends ordered "Sam's Signature Crab Benedict". The only crab was sprinkled lightly on top.Special Features:
- BillDined on 5/31/2014Ordered Kobe burger medium rare and got well done. Never saw waiter until meal was over.Special Features:
- Not so goodJDaaDined on 5/30/2014Extremely tough steak served with tasteless salad and fresh out of the bag fries. Lobster roll okay. Boring oysters on half shell with entirely too much horseradish. Over priced wines. Will return for drinks only,Special Features:
- Service Is HorribleFoodieDined on 5/24/2014Servers are terrible and the GM has no idea how to run a restaurant. Menu selection is quite limited and what is offered is mediocre at best. Go somewhere else!!!Special Features:
- Better Than EverNaptownnannyDined on 5/24/2014If possible the food is better than ever at Sam's. We were seated promptly ( even though it was Commissioning Week). The service was impeccable but not intrusive. My husband ordered the Scallops Napoleon and I couldn't resist ordering the Shrimp and Grits. Both dishes were obviously prepared with skill and care. A great place to dine and enjoy the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John RichardsTNT1961Dined on 5/18/2014Restaurant was quiet and nice inside and out. Tables were set well. Shrimp was undercooked, steak and scallops were also undercooked and server forgot to bring my wife's beer. Check was a little over 100.00. It was OK to try but do not think we will return there. Not a very good value for what you receive as far as food.Special Features:
- SamsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2014We had a reservation but still waited at the hostess station for 15 minutes while they "re-set" out table. There were several large groups in the restaurant and it was extremely loud. My group enjoyed the choolate chip muffins that ame out. The servie was a bit slow, food was fair, and my eggs benedict was barely warm.Special Features:
- Pay attention on holidaysMothersDayDined on 5/11/2014Sorry most places allow for regular menu ordering when food allergies or kids are involved. Prix Fixe here means you have no other options, "not for the kids not for an allergy" as the waiter let me know. That being said the food we did get was great. The service, with the exception of the attitude around the Prix Fixe menu discussion were OK. The host on mothers day could have been more accommodating. Also when they tell you that they don't pay attention tot he notes in Open Table, that is a clear concern. Not a great experience, but the food was good.Special Features:
- Enjoyed itFoodhoundDined on 5/11/2014We liked our Mother's Day brunch experience at Sam's. Food was good, and were seated at a table right next to the window so we had an unobstructed view of the waterfront outside. We were seated right on time with our reservation and the service was good overall and the people very friendly. That said, it took a longer time than expected for the food to come out, but i think that was due to the crush of demand on Mother's Day, the busiest restaurant day of the year. Overall, we were pleased with the experience and would do so again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchCnclove2dineDined on 5/11/2014The views were wonderful. The drinks were alright, but I ordered a club soda and never received it. Our first course (salad and butternut squash soup) was very good. The main course was alright, but could have been better. Lots of shells in the crab cakes and I requested my steak cooked medium and it was between medium-well and well done. Still tasty, but not what I requested. Dessert was ok, but again, could have been better. We both ordered crême brûlée (my mom's favorite) but the sugar crust on top tasted burnt and the cream was watery at the bottom of the cup. Overall, we enjoyed our lunch, but it could have been better. Hopefully the issues were only because it was a busy day; worth a shot for the view but the food was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014I was so excited about dining at Sam's for Mother's Day. I must say that I was extremely disappointed. I thought the service was rote and the food was unappealing and sub-par. I had the crepes and while they were beautifully presented, they were cold and dry. They were only saved by our request of syrup. The "assortment of breakfast breads" consisted of two stale mini danishes cut in half along with some fruit. Our waiter seemed totally unexcited about waiting on us and was not terribly attentive. While I think the view is unbelievable, that is certainly not reason enough for me to return. While I realize it is an extremely busy day for all restaurants, a little extra care goes a long way in ensuring repeat business.Special Features:
- Just okayChocoDined on 5/11/2014The food left a lot to be desired. It was not that tasty at all. The restaurant is nice, especially if you like sitting outdoors. May be okay for happy hour when you're probably not looking for a great culinary experience.Special Features:
- DisappointmentAnnapolitan211Dined on 5/11/2014We went to Sam's on the Waterfront for Mother's Day brunch. The menu for the day was fixed price. The first course was one small plate with a few pieces of fruit and a cold cinnamon roll cut into halves or thirds. This was to be shared by three people. For the main course, I ordered an omelet, which was passable. My wife ordered berry crepes. Her meal consisted of cold crepes with blueberries and strawberries tossed inside. That was it. For dessert, I ordered a chocolate caramel cake and my wife ordered a strawberry pie, which we took to go. At home, we discovered my cake was the size of a golfball, and her "pie" was a gelatinous mass of mashed berries tossed into a carton -- no pie crust or anything recognizable as a complete dessert.Special Features:
- first visitjazzVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service was very friendly. The location is pleasant. The food was terrible: poorly/over cooked, served cold, undercooked dessert. Overpriced.Special Features: