Sam's Chowder House
4210 Cabrillo Hwy
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sam's Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://samschowderhouse.com/
- Phone: 6507120245
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Seafood Market open Saturday and Sunday 12-8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Lewis Rossman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music Friday and Saturday nights in the fall/winter from 7-10pm inside, and also on Sunday outside from 4-8 during the summer months.
- Special Events: Five oceanfront spaces are available for corporate events, weddings, and other special events. Offering appetizer, lunch and dinner selections and special lobster clambakes. All rooms have ocean views from every seat.
A word from Sam's Chowder House
Enjoy amazing sunsets by the cozy fire, a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, and fresh, award-winning New England style seafood in a casual, coastside setting. Watch the crashing surf, dine outside under a cozy heat lamp, or settle into an Adirondack chair near a toasty fire pit on Sam's dog-friendly patio, complete with wind protection and heat lamps. Featured on NBC’s The Today Show, and “Best of the Bay TV”, and named “Best Outdoor Dining in the Bay Area” by San Francisco Magazine, and “Best Seafood Restaurant in San Mateo County” by San Jose Magazine readers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sam's Chowder House - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Sam's Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (241)great for outdoor dining (210)great for lunch (160)kid-friendly (106)special occasion (102)good for groups (91)neighborhood gem (81)great for brunch (79)romantic (78)fit for foodies (68)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (46)late-night find (12)notable wine list (9)Show More
- Great Experience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014Awesome experience!! The service was excellent - our waitress and bus boy were fantastic and are definite assets to the restaurant!!! Food was great!!! Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, sound mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Not spectacular, but a very solid spot just out of Half Moon Bay. Enjoyed the meal, although I think it is a better lunch option than dinner. Always busy and the reputation is good. Won't blow you away but you'll feel good about the meal and experience.Special Features:
- Skip The "Famous Lobster Roll".BeebsDined on 8/19/2014So disappointed , made a special trip to Sam's just for the lobster roll. Lobster meat tough and dry and rather bland, won't be back.
- Good Seafood JointjimofseattleDined on 8/18/2014We enjoyed our meal despite a somewhat scatterbrained waitress. The Oysters Rockefeller were especially good. This is a solid, old-fashioned sea food resaurant.Special Features:
- DinnerViewGood6Dined on 8/18/2014There was six of us - we were put in an enclosed outdoor room, accoustics were horrible - we had to yell to hear each other. The waitress didnt get our order correct - dont think i will go back again with a large group. Food was just average - not as good as down the way - maybe only a few clams in the clam chowder we ALL hadSpecial Features:
- Sam was great...JeffTVIPDined on 8/18/2014Both the server and the place of business. Awesome view of the beach and very good food. The Claim chowder was very flavorful, though a bit "soupy". The Oysters Rock was good and the oysters were very large. Lobster roll was 1 1/4 of meat, and while the "dressing" of the sandwich didn't provide much flavor, the amount of lobster was great. Sam the server made our experience and was fun while also being interested in our experience.Special Features:
- Good, consistent, enjoyableBrunchloverVIPDined on 8/17/2014Always enjoy coming here. Good food (some great, like the paella and cioppino, some just okay, like the calamari and shrimp scampi). Consistent good service, great view and ambience. Perfect to bring visiting family for Bay Area seafood flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!HSsweetheartsDined on 8/14/2014The food was delicious. The service was excellent. Our waitress, Katy, acknowledged our wedding anniversary and congratulates us. She sat us at a table by the window with a perfect view of the water. We will definitely come back and refer our friends. Open table was so easy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovehmbDined on 8/14/2014Great dinner, fresh and tasty. Disappointed that blue crab sandwiches are not available for dinner as well as lunch. Attentive server too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food was marginal at best. Waitress took our order and said enjoy your meal and she was not kidding as she never came back to check on us at all till we were 100% done and table cleaned and wanted paid.Special Features:
- Decent food with a great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014An OK experience. The beet salad was drowned in dressing. My husband really liked the sardines. Our server was spread too thin. She hustled but we still sat with empty water glasses for a while. Overall, a decent experience.Special Features:
- dinnerrickadoDined on 8/12/2014did not live up to the hype view was great food adequate but not for the best of part of 100 dollars
- Always a great time...Live2DineDined on 8/11/2014Once again enjoyed another dining out at Sam's, one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- priceChocolateDined on 8/10/2014Food was good. Prices were a little high compared with similar places. But overall we were happy with the service and the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ftrpDined on 8/9/2014Food is very good. The chef's/preps do not mask the flavor of the seafood with fillers and sauces.Special Features:
- Great views and chowderCTdinerDined on 8/9/2014Great location and chowder, unfortunately the lobster in the lobster roll did not seem fresh, perhaps even canned, very disappointing.Special Features:
- Good food, great localeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed the crab cakes and cioppino as well as the great view sitting in a table next to a window overlooking the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best LOBSTER ROLL, period!iCenturionVIPDined on 8/4/2014Great place to dine for lunch or dinner! Food is fresh and delicious. If you love seafood, this is the place to come! SamSpecial Features:
- Nothing else to adddaman88888Dined on 8/2/2014The food, services is top notch and I don't have anything else to add.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRendenDined on 8/2/2014One of the best seafood restaurant we have dined at. Great oysters and clams on a half shell. You can't get any fresher than having their local which is usually the rock cod. Great menu. Will go back to taste more dishes.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysFlyflyflyDined on 8/2/2014Another great lunch with great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Have been going here for years. Always come back for more and never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halibut was excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014I had the halibut for dinner. It was delicious! I would whole heartedly recommend ordering this dish. My friend ordered the battered fish and chips and loved her meal. I thought the prices were very much in line with the quality of the food. You can't beat the view and the outdoor atmosphere was awesome. Great meal - I'd definately go back again when I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood with a viewChowderheadDined on 7/31/2014My wife and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. We weren't disappointed. The clam chowder was quite good and the lobster roll was a big surprise. I mean big as in lots of lobster and soooo good! They seated us next to a window overlooking the harbor. Great view. Liked the ambiance of the restaurant. Dress is casual. Place is easy to find, right on Hwy 1. Lots of parking. Making a reservation is smart. We did and were seated right away. The one down side is that the prices were a bit on the high side. But my sweetie was worth it! I would definitely recommend Sam'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an icon at Half Moon BayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014We always enjoy going to SAMs because we like driving down to Half Moon Bay & know there's a good restaurant there! However the portions have been getting smaller lately & the summer staff isn't as efficient with water & bread ! But overall its a great place to go for view !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best seafood in California.MikeDined on 7/28/2014We have been to Sam's many times before and it never fails. The seafood is awesome! The steak is superb, and the sides are the fresh and local. We love Sam's Chowder House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite placechocfan5Dined on 7/27/2014We visit Sam's several times a year. We usually go for brunch and like to sit outside on the patio. The lobster roll is very good - like getting a lobster without the work! They have some great cocktails and desserts. It has become a family favorite for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!LizaDined on 7/27/2014We have loved Sam's for years but my birthday dinner there was spectacular! Rebecca was a wonderful server whose attentive (but not invasive) service and attention to every minor request made the excellent dining even more special. Keep the lobster ceviche on the menu - what a delicious entree - and the hot fudge sundae a true treat! Many heartfelt thanks! Liza & PaulSpecial Features:
- Great food. Beautiful viewTruluv1328Dined on 7/26/2014On a clear sunny day the view is beautiful and perfect for sunset watching. The lobster roll was delicious and perfectly cooked. The New England clam chowder was one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014PARKING IS A PROBLEM, SO BE SURE TO ARRIVE EARLY !!!!!Special Features:
- A very good placelucyckDined on 7/25/2014Using Open Table we had no trouble getting seated even though it was a Friday night in late July in Half Moon Bay. The place was very crowded. I ordered the Lobster roll which was good. My husband ordered the seafood combo platter which was huge but good. We both ordered glasses of the white wine special which was a Spanish wine. It was nice, not too dry but not too fruity. I would recommend this place.Special Features:
- Crowded and boisterousCiaohoundDined on 7/25/2014The menu reads great! Lots of delicious-sounding items. But we only had a couple of appetizers which we enjoyed. We had the kusshi oysters and they were excellent along with the mignonette that accompanied them. We had the Fritti of artichoke (fried artichoke hearts) and they were good. Also we shared the Ahi Tuna Poke which I thought was a bit small for 2, tasty though. Service was excellent. The views, of the harbor and hundreds of pelicans, the beach, the Pacific ocean, were especially nice on this warm and sunny, and nearly windless evening on the coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IF you can get there...MEME2Dined on 7/25/2014Sam's is a great place for excellent seafood and a spectacular ocean view. IF you can get there from the Peninsula/East Bay (we and the other couple we were meeting there encountered a lengthy delay due to an accident on 92 just outside of HMB that blocked the entire road - unnecessarily, it seemed). Then when we finally made it to Sam's, we trolled the parking lot for at least 10 minutes trying to find a space. We had to follow someone out of the restaurant to his car and fight off another party angling for the same spot. Noise level was high but service was good and so was the seafood. Worth the hassle but you might want to go there at an "off" time - like Tuesday for lunch!Special Features:
- Good food poor servicePoorDined on 7/23/2014Ordered chowder never got it , never got a chance to order a second drink the only time waitress came over wAs to deliver the checkSpecial Features:
- Lovely!BayAreaDinerDined on 7/23/2014I visited with a friend and we had a wonderful long leisurely lunch of New England Clam Chowder and Crab Louie - it was perfect! We had a "to die for" view of the beach and ocean, the food was outstanding, service was prompt and friendly - and our wait person did not try to hurry us along. My friend had a slice of key lime pie which I tasted and that was fresh and tasty too. They have espresso drinks and my latte was really good too. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...........OnoliciousVIPDined on 7/22/2014Have had better seafood, but overall, it was a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Great getawaySqueakDined on 7/22/2014We live in the East Bay and love taking the nice drive over to Sam's Chowder House when we can. We have always had wonderful service and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View!GourmetGalVIPDined on 7/21/2014We come here for the view and ambiance. Service is always friendly.Special Features:
- Lobster RollRetiredGourmetVIPDined on 7/21/2014The lobster roll is made without mayo. Yeah! The clam chowder was good, the gumbo, not so much.Special Features:
- Food good service greatAprilDined on 7/20/2014They don't rush you through. Very busy place hence the noise level. Service was amazing. Food was good but not the best I've ever had. Chowder has huge chunks of clams.Special Features: