Sam's by the Beach
108 West Channel Road
Santa Monica, CA 90402Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Sam's by the Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://samsbythebeach.com/
- Phone: 3102309100x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm to 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:30pm to 9:00pm
Last Seating Tuesday to Saturday 9:30; Last Seating on Sunday 8:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Sam Elias & Chef Oscar Benitez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We specialize in outside catering for Kosher and Non-Kosher Weddings, Bat Mitzvahs, Bar Mitzvahs and Birthdays.. Back-stage Catering at Staple Center (Downtown Los Angeles)
- Private Party Facilities: Sam's By the Beach is a destination restaurant know for its innovative food and comfortable, yet elegant dining experience. Owner/Chef Sam Elias has been inspired by his heritage and considers the cuisine to be California-Mediterranean, with an emphasis on high quality ingredients.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Elias 3102309100x
- Entertainment: Wine Maker Dinners, Special Theme Events, Mom's Annual Dinner (Third Wednesday of January), Tuna Feast(May-1st to May 31st)...
A word from Sam's by the Beach
Sam's By The Beach, opened in July 2000 as a neighborhood bistro, and has become a destination restaurant, thanks to its innovative food and comfortable yet elegant dining experience. Elias, inspired by his heritage, considers the cuisine to be California-Mediterranean, with an emphasis on high quality ingredients. "I enjoy going to the Central Market each day to purchase my vegetables and seafood. It keeps me in touch with what is fresh, and helps me to plan my menus." Sam's menu is seasonal and changes at least four times per year. In addition, there are daily specials and a chef tasting menu based on what Elias discovers at the market. Regular menu items include appetizers of Blue "Fin" Tartar ($17.95), Wild Mushroom Salad in lemon basil dressing ($13.95) and Fennel and Blood Orange Soup ($9.95); and entrées include Vegetarian Crepes ($23.95), Grilled Atlantic Salmon with braised Swiss Chard and roasted Jerusalem artichoke ($26.95), Roasted Duck Magret with poached Pear.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sam's by the Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- May not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014Better when less full. While I had been there within the last couple of weeks, Jean Michele did not recognize me. More importantly, he missed taking drink orders for half the table and never did ask me for mine. While I'd very much enjoyed the special on my first visit, food was unremarkable across six diners on the second. Restaurant was way noisier when full an difficult to hear anyone not sitting next to you.
- clothVIPDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant is small, comfortable and warm with the service to match. It is a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- one of best along coastenjoyyourdinnerDined on 10/7/2014sam's is one of the best along the coast if not all of Los Angeles. A french mediterranean gem, the service is as wonderfule as the food.Special Features:
- The following 146 reviews are from the Sam's by the Beach reviews archive.
- treasurefriendlyDined on 12/31/2013Sam's is a longtime treasure of a small restaurant. One can count on consistently good food, wine,and service. There are often surprise items and Sam always offers a small treat before eating. Sam himself is always hospitable and friendly to his guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A HIDDEN TREASUREOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013ALWAYS OUTSTANDING. SAM GOES WAY ABOVE THE AVERAGE TO PROVIDE GREAT FOOD, ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND A WARM WELCOME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretGaborDined on 12/21/2013We had an amazing pre-Christmas dinner. Great dishes and flawless service. I will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always farm fresh interestingDisappointedDined on 12/7/2013Always farm fresh interesting ingredients with layered tastes in each dish. Cocktails and wine list are outstanding. As is Sam himself. He responds to his guests as though they were dining at his home. Better food than most trendy places in town!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/29/2013The wait staff was incredibly friendly and professional, and the food was unique and delicious. I would recommend Sam's on the Beach to anyone.Special Features:
- TastelessPickyDined on 11/21/2013We had been to Sam's by the beach several years ago and it was delicious. This time however, the Portobello mushroom soup was watery and almost tasteless, the Rock fish was flavorless…..not a recommend at all, unless they get some flavor back into the food.
- one of our best meals everOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/21/2013My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here and found the food and ambiance amazing. We are from the SF Bay Area and get our share of great dinng locations, but Sam's meets or exceeds the best restaurants in San Francisco and Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great night at samerosaDined on 11/17/2013this is our go to place when we just want to get out and have a great meal. Our Daughter turned us on to Sam's and we have dined there with the family and now we are introducing it to our friends. Great ambiance and friendly service and amazing food!Special Features:
- Our new favorite restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2013Our new favorite restaurant. Can't believe we hadn't tried it before. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time atMarleyVIPDined on 11/10/2013We had a wonderful time at Sam's By The Beach. We went for an early dinner with friends on Sunday. No one was there when we arrived but the place filled up by the time we left. The owner was so nice. We wanted a salad for 3 to share and it was no problem. He told us about his restaurant and made us feel at home. The amuse bouche was eggplant, goat cheese and sundried tomato (awesome!) We also loved the spinach salad, salmon and lamb chorizo. We also were served a tiny bread pudding (it was great!!) I would definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- The food and service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2013The food and service was excellent but the valet parking experience fairly ruined the evening. We have a plan to park some distance away and just walk, and imagine that will improve the experience and the rating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful neighborhood placeJessVIPDined on 10/31/2013fabulous service and delicious food and terrific attention to detail. Make customers feel valued and cared for...really a great spotI would recommend this to a friend.
- Took some family visitingpiyi26Dined on 10/26/2013Took some family visiting from out of town. Food was delicious and service was great! Lamb chorizo risotto was a tasty surprise and the Mediterranean Seafood Soup was great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2013My daughter and I found Sam's on Open Table and we were thrilled with our choice. The staff was fantastic and the food was excellent. Really enjoyed our visit and we will be sure to return! FredSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and unique experience!PaulbrydeDined on 10/10/2013I was looking for a romantic place to take my wife for dinner on our honeymoon while in LA, and had come across a couple of good reviews of this place. Although the exterior doesn't look like much, the atmosphere inside the restaurant was cozy and the waiters were relaxed and friendly. When they guessed we were on our honeymoon (the waiter said our rings were so shiny as to give it away) we were surprised with a complementary desert, that tasted delicious! It was the bread-soup, I think. The main course was superb! I can't say enough praises of their lamb dish, it was probably one of the top 3 lambs I've tasted and I come from Iceland where we pride ourselves of our lamb. We had a lovely time, Sam can even make great mojitos! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was the site of a friend'sRhondaDined on 10/9/2013This was the site of a friend's birthday dinner celebration. Among the diners was a VERY experienced restaurateur who opined that the staff was totally on top of things; the food exquisite and the overall dining experience fantastic!! Pumpking Ravioli and Tuna tartare for appetizers; halibut, vegetable crepe and lamb were the various mains. Well timed surprise birthday dessert. Perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place to meet friendsmanojaVIPDined on 9/28/2013Had a great evening. The food was good; the wait staff is great; the ambiance is nice. Overall a nice dinner and was worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under the radar gemAndrewVIPDined on 9/27/2013Cal-Med-Syrian, not your everyday place. Sam Elias is as gracious host as exists in this town and his Syrian slants on cuisine are to die over. From soup that tastes like liquid vegetables, a taste/touch combo that fools your senses; to mint in places that are unexpected, but just right; to cous-cous that makes you expect that the valet will return with a camel in place of the Lexus you left with him supper is like no other in LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant!yazzyVIPDined on 9/26/2013Sam's is old school charm with great food and service. Beautiful room, fantastic servers, which include Sam himself, who clearly is proud of his restaurant. This is a special place - we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Quiet Catch-UpOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/25/2013Loved the lamb chorizo risotto - what a unique dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Meal, Outstanding ServiceJMNWVIPDined on 9/25/2013We arrived a bit early for our reservation and Sam, the proprietor himself, accommodated us immediately. I started with a cocktail which was well-prepared. Sam brought us a lovely amuse bouche.We both had the Pear and Fennel salad which was full of flavor with pieces of aged parmesan alongside succulent pear and delicately sliced fennel.It was artfully presented. We also both selected the grilled yellow fin special topped with shallots/capers/sun-dried tomatoes and complemented by asparagus, beets, squash and carrots. We finished the meal with their tarte tatin which was delicious.The service was impeccable. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food, which in my view rivals or exceeds that of the nearby upscale competitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect dinnerMaxenceDined on 9/24/2013My wife and I had dinner there last night and everything was perfect. The food was amazing, as were the wines. And most of all, the attention we received from the team was much more than we could ever imagine. Everything to make us feel special! I am coming back home now and will recommend Sam's by the beach to all of my friends who plan to visit Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super-fantabulous Sam'smariabVIPDined on 9/19/2013Sam's a notable neighborhood gem, is a top-of-the-LA-list find. Tucked away in Santa Monica Canyon at PCH, Sam's sets the high-water mark for LA restaurants. From the "intime" setting to the food itself--superior cuts of Tuna and Swordfish belly Sam personally selects in the wee AM hours, to flawless risotto with Chantrelles and Lobster mushroom prepared with superior carnaroli instead of the more pedestrian Aborio, and delicate sea bass topped with pistachio & tarragon--Sam's is a foodies dream. Every dish is steeped in delicate innuendo. The only thing better than the gastronomic experience and remarkable wine list, is Sam himself. One walks away from a meal at Sam's feeling as though you have just been a priviledged guest in Sam's home!Special Features:
- Great Dinner ExperienceEricSVIPDined on 9/7/2013First time at this restaurant and have added it our "must go while in Santa Monica" list. Sam is in the house! and he will make sure all is well with your "Experience" by taking pride in the cocktails, wine and food that he serves. He and his "Frenchman" really made our eating occasion an experience. The "killer" dish was an Artichoke Soup with a little hidden stash of Gruyere cheese and some fresh thyme. Actually, everything that Sam recommended was tasty. The Lamb chops in a country Dijon sauce was perfect as was the Tarte Tatin. Sam even opened the door and held it for us while we were leaving. What a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and well managedMimineVIPDined on 8/24/2013This was a real treat. Clearly a locals favorite. The owner and wait staff were very attentive and did everything they could to make us feel welcome. The food was tasteful and the execution precise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint with excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2013Went online and read great reviews for this restaurant. The service and the food is superb. I have had many great dinners. I was pleasantly surprized with the quality of the food. Service was 5 star. Would go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely small and quiet diningfraimVIPDined on 8/17/2013a lovely small and quiet dining spot. always a pleasure to return to.Special Features:
- Cozy, like a home dining room...RosieBVIPDined on 8/13/2013A gem in Santa Monics canyon. Small and intimate and quiet. Beautifully prepared food. A memorable dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam's is a gem with amazing staffRoobiecubeVIPDined on 8/10/2013Sam's owner and staff make you feel like you are old friends or part of the family! Just a solid dining experience with excellent food and service. Their love of food and hospitality shines through!Special Features:
- Perfect restaurantfoodiefamilyDined on 8/9/2013I wanted the perfect place for our 28th anniversary dinner; I spent half the day on the internet searching for something that would be romantic with great food and ambiance. Sam's was everything I hoped it would be !!! Sam, the owner was there, we met him., when he found out it was our anniversary he sent over a complimentary dessert !Friendly, wonderful French waiter. The food was excellent, I had duck with sour cherry port wine sauce.. magnifique ! It is an intimate place with great decor...you feel like you are in Europe. Love, love, love this place...my new favorite !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!KnowsGoodFoodDined on 8/8/2013Every dish was a work of art. Every bite was a "wow." The service was attentive and helpful. This was one of the best meals I've ever had in 20 years in LA.Special Features:
- Really excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2013We enjoy many wonderful restaurants in Southern California, but during our dinner at Sam's we received the best service I've experienced in many years, beginning with arrival at the valet and continuing uninterrupted until we left. I was the vegan in our party and received careful attention to my preferences right from the start. Had cantaloupe soup - delicious. Had pear and fennel salad - excellent. Had a Mediterranean plate, and the baba ganoush was the best I've ever had, and very unusual. Usually I eat that last, but this time I ate it first. Everything was perfect, really. This place is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2013this was the first time at Sam's. Went there because of all the good reviews. We really liked it very much, and the reviews where right on. The food was delicious, the service excellent, and the restaurant is so nicely decorated. We had a great time, and the owner does go out of his way to make sure you are happy there. Much appreciated!!Special Features:
- Great local placehatenicknamesVIPDined on 8/2/2013Wow. What a great meal. We split a couple of the appetizers. Both were done great. Combination of italian, japanese and middle eastern flavors blended perfectly. My fish soup was great and full of seafood. My wife's lamb chops were done perfectly. We'd co me back just for the bread pudding dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great 13 year old restaurantkurge1VIPDined on 7/26/2013A great 13 year old restaurant few know about. AwesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013This was the first time we went to Sam's by the Beach. The food was terrific & good sized portions. We felt comfortable from the moment we sat down, like we were really welcome to be there. The service was upbeat and friendly and we even had a chat with Sam before we left. Great find!Special Features:
- Delightful FindLynneDined on 7/19/2013My oldest friend was spending a very rare few days in Los Angeles and would be in Santa Monica just for the night. I knew he preferred seafood to steak, so naturally, I checked Open Table for a suggestion. Sams by the Beach turned out to be the perfect choice. They accommodated my request for an earlier table and service was attentive without being obtrusive. The food was delicious and plentiful. As a matter of fact, neither one of us could finish. You can be sure I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.