Sampan - Philadelphia
124 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sampan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sampanphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157323501
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday Happy Hour: Everyday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schulson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hors d' oeuvres packages start at $15 per person per hour and dinner packages start at $40 per person. Open bar packages start at $25 per person for the first two hours and $7 for each additional hour should you be looking to entertain. Bar packages must be combined with either an hors d' oeuvres package or a dinner package and are not offered on their own.
- Special Events: Sampan is the perfect location for entertaining. Two identical dining rooms flank a central bar for a welcoming feeling with great energy. The restaurant can seat up to 120 for a sit down dinner or in excess of 150 for a social gathering. The outdoor Graffiti Bar can host an additional 75 and is fully heated and open 10 months out of the year. Our event coordinator will work with you personally and all menus are fully customizable.
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Limited street parking is available, in addition to public parking lots on Sansom Street in between 12th & 13th Streets and 13th & Broad Streets. There is also a parking garage on the corner of 13th Street, in between Chestnut Street & Market Street.
A word from Sampan - Philadelphia
Sampan, an intimate new restaurant located in Center City, Philadelphia, serves a fun menu of modern Asian small plates, ideal for mixing, matching and sharing. The comfortable, inviting setting offers guests an intimate, up-close-and-personal experience with Chef Michael Schulson and the acclaimed cuisine that has made him one of the country’s most sought-after chefs. Designed by Philadelphia’s Sparks Design and Urban Space Development, Sampan offers seating for up to 120 guests in a warm, comfortable setting. The restaurant features reclaimed timber, distressed metals and a rustic, natural aesthetic anchored by a custom-crafted, color washed painting that illuminates the room and lends a soft, glowing ambiance to the cozy space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sampan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Sampan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (130)hot spot (119)good for groups (91)vibrant bar scene (88)special occasion (64)neighborhood gem (61)romantic (39)late-night find (35)great for outdoor dining (34)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Sampan was a good destination for my family--two teenage daughters, a boyfriend in the mix and my husband and I. The experience of selecting our choices for the Chef Tasting, followed by the novelty of the mini ice cream cones, made the evening really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeanieDined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia! If you haven't gone yet you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loudfoodie46Dined on 8/28/2014The noise level precluded both conversation and enjoyment of food. Don't go here if you want to visit with friends or hear anything other than the deafening roar! I won't be back.
- Terrific food!LunchEaterVIPDined on 8/25/2014My favorite were the brussle sprouts -- they were grilled and flavored with a lemony dressing. -- but all our dishes were very good! The downside is the place is VERY loud.Special Features:
- Always amazing!NotHappyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Every time we dine at Sampan we are surprised at the consistent level of excellence--in food and service. Amazing!Special Features:
- good for a crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/19/2014chef-tasting option made our dinner party of 6 guests fun...taste testing and sharing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups.Great for sharing.christinaVIPDined on 8/18/2014It is very hard to pick just one or items from this awesome menu. Thank goodness it is tapas style so you can try a ton of things! I recommend every dumpling on the menu.Special Features:
- INCREDIBLE!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Sampan is my favorite restaurant in the city and this time did not disappoint!! The food and service were great (as always!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumJessDined on 8/10/2014Sampan is delicious,I would highly recommend this spot! Food is full of flavor, made fresh, and served quickly. Waitstaff is exceptional. My only complaint is the bang for your buck, can be pricey for what you get.
- Pleasant experienceJuleDined on 8/8/2014We had an excellent waiter who was great and patient with the four kids under the age of 11 we were dining with. The appetizers were excellent, specifically the edamame dumplings and korean fried chicken skewers.Special Features:
- great small platessoulmanDined on 8/5/2014edamame dumplings are to die for, amazing short rib satay don't bother with the "big" plates; you are paying entree -size prices for app-size portions.Special Features:
- Good food, bad service, loudLauraMDined on 8/4/2014The decor is very fun and hip and the food itself is very good. However, we had terrible service. We asked if we could order individual dishes rather than the sharing menu, and our server said yes. The food came out 15-20 minutes+ apart, side dishes came before entrees, and some of it (like rice) came out 20-30 minutes prior and just sat on the table getting cold. Each person's food came at a different time with one person waiting nearly an hour for their dish. When we asked about getting the rest of our food, the server could care less and told us that's how the kitchen worked there. Will not return. Side note-- very loud restaurant. Might not be bad for a table of 2, but so hard to hear anything anyone was saying at our table for 6.
- dissapointingramarama33Dined on 8/2/2014Strange to see so many great reviews of this place. Had mostly vegetarian options from the regular and vegetarian menus. Waiter tried ripping us off by trying to charge us $45 each for a "vegetarian tasting menu", then was reluctant to let us undo the tasting menu and just order the individual full portion options which came to $30 cheaper. I get it, but he was dishonest, whatever.... The food was subpar, tasted like something from a very bad casual dining chain. Horrible techno music played in the background. And, yes it was way overpriced. Would not eat there again, nor can I recommend...sorry!
- Good but disappointedFoodie4youDined on 8/1/2014I've been to Sampan one other time and loved it. This time we were surprisingly disappointed. We had an 8pm reservation. We didn't get seated till 8:45. The first time we were seated at the kitchen bar until our table opened up. We got a glass of water and then were moved to a tiny two person table where a third seat was added on the end next to the bussing station. It was really tight and uncomfortable. We asked to move to another table and then moved for the last time. The hostesses were very nice & apologetic. They comped a few dishes. The service was good after that but I had to rate it so low because of waiting almost an hour before being seated. It was also a little too hot inside. If we go back it will have to be during off hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!cookiemonsterDined on 7/31/2014The food at Sampan was awesome. My girlfriend and I did the Taste 7 option where you order seven dishes, 2 small plates and one from every other box on the menu. The pork bao buns were my favorite, but the filet was also very good and the scallops were huge! Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lynnepDined on 7/29/2014Had a great time as usual. Service seemed a little off but not bad , food great as usual. I recommend this restaurant to everyone I can as I have a great time always.Special Features:
- My FavoritejeepersDined on 7/26/2014I believe this is the best resturant in Philadelphia. Every item on the menu is delicious.They have unusualy food that is perfectl;y cooked. The resturant is a very special treat.Special Features:
- MantolokingVIPDined on 7/26/2014Such fun little bites. Our wonderful server, Frank, guided us among our choices and we kept ordering and enjoyingSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!GreatDined on 7/24/20141st time at Sampan and it won't be the last! All of the food was wonderful! Everything was perfectly cooked and the attention to detail was amazing! Our server Liz was a gem! Someone to ask for when you go! Very knowledgeable and friendly!! Thanks for a great dinner Sampan, I'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!FineDiningVIPDined on 7/24/2014I love that the food comes in small plates and large plates. Great for sharing and trying new things! I loved everything I tried. They also have an interesting cocktail list. Sitting outside is a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Always a great experience overall when I come here! It's a philly most see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeoutwithbudsDined on 7/21/2014This was our third time at Sampan and it didn't disappoint. We took along friends who had never been and they also loved it! Can't wait until our fourth time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeMaryDined on 7/21/2014everything we had was GREAT. So much fun!!! Foodies will love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brussel sprouts and ice creamGluttonyDined on 7/18/2014sampan!! What can I say - excellent food , great service - sit at the bar and try all the small plates and top it off with ice creamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTSWTDined on 7/12/2014Everything was delicious! Big fan of the small plates. Our table actually decided that the next time we go, we are just going to get a bunch of small plates. They tell you that it is a free flowing kitchen, which is great! However, it does get awkward when one person is completely finished with their entree and another person hasn't even gotten their meal yet. That is why I think the Chef Tasting is a good idea, everyone gets a little of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and deliciousmargoDined on 7/11/2014great sharing plates, accommodating staff, great deal for the price flavor explosions! save room for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceDanielDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic Asian fusion family style restaurant, the service was top notch and the drinks were very decent. This place definitely rivals the Steven Starr chain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Asian Restaurant in Philly!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/10/2014Heard so much about this place and finally got to go. It certainly lived up to all the hype. Food and service were outstanding. We had the edamame dumplings, spring rolls, beef BBQ, and broccoli, all on recommendations, and we were not disappointed. We'll be back!Special Features:
- LouLouisDined on 7/10/2014Great food in the heart of center city. Nice crowd with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining!Jacquie520Dined on 7/10/2014I had an over all very good at Sampan. Our party of 4 chose the Chef's Tasting. I was underwhelmed and disappointed with the Edamame dumplings especially since they came so highly recommended by a friend. We did love the Kobe satay and the Kobe fried rice. The other dishes were good but not great - epecially for the money we spent. We each had 1 - 2 drinks and each spent $90.00. The atmosphere was loud, but fun. I did enjoy my meal but was not floored by it. Our sered was fantastic! In fact ALL of the wait staff was awesome.Special Features:
- fusion for vegssamlaagetabletalkDined on 7/4/2014Faced with a familiar dilemma of feeding vegetarians we were directed to Sampan. Excellent choice! Yes the place is loud and the interior oh so trendy but the food was to die for. OK, so they didn't have either of the sparkling wines we tried to order but they made it right by giving us a more expensive bottle at the lower price. The menu was so interesting the carnivores in the party went vegetarian for the evening. Were I not using a tablet I would write reams about this place. If only it were in my home town so I could do a full on review for the local newspaper. Yes, I really do that. Look for Table Talk at the the Monterey Herald (California).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Including gluten freeGlutenfreeguyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great fun albeit listed gluten free menu. Would higly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to shareJodiVIPDined on 7/1/2014We like a good tasting menu, and this is it! Small servings allow you to try many dishes. We loved all the sides. The lobster roll was better then any I've had. The rice dishes were ok. The service was great! Go! You will find something that you will love enough to go again. I'm going back for that lobster roll. I can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreCoteDined on 6/30/2014We had the misfortune to be helped by Amanda who made it very clear we were her last table of the night and couldn't wait to leave. From the moment we sat down we we're rushed to order, eat and leave. All the meanwhile the table next to us was being helped by a very attentive waiter who constantly checked on them and offered them dessert. We were never asked if we wanted dessert or anything after our meal--the check was simply brought to us. The food was OK at best, nothing out of this world. So to Amanda's horribly lack of attention, I will never be visiting this place again nor would I recommend it to anyone.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2014Wonderful restaurant and great service, an unbeatable combination. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- one of my favorites in the citycarioca14Dined on 6/29/2014Sampan is great, the edamame wontons are to die for and definitely worth it! The waitress was not super friendly so I gave it 4 stars but I've been there 3 times already and I will be coming back!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was good but service was terrible and the restaurant was very hot inside, to the point that it was incredibly uncomfortable and we just had to leave our meal. Hopefully this doesn't happen again but it will take us some time to go back again. The server and manager didn't care about our issues whatsoever and made no attempts to improve the situation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodSouSou888Dined on 6/28/2014Our party if three order the chef tasting and it was great. We were apprehensive of if would be enough food, but to our delight we could not even finish the last dish to come out. Everything we ordered was amazing and I especially recommend the Kobe beef and Chilean Sea Bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Placelnm1988VIPDined on 6/28/2014A friend took me here for dinner. It was great. The food is delicious, the atmosphere is inviting, the service was great. What more can I say!?Special Features:
- Great Experience, As UsualSampanFanDined on 6/28/2014As usual, Sampan delivered! We ordered the Korean BBQ fried chicken satay, and it was fantastic. The mushroom dumplings were great as usual. We tried the Vietnamese filet and it was outstanding; the Pekin duck was the usual favorite. The only glitch, although minor as we were not in a hurry, was that the entrees took longer than usual to come out but our server acknowledged this and comped us our desserts, which was a nice touch. Will definitely return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.