Sampan - Philadelphia
124 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sampan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sampanphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157323501
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday Happy Hour: Everyday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schulson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hors d' oeuvres packages start at $15 per person per hour and dinner packages start at $40 per person. Open bar packages start at $25 per person for the first two hours and $7 for each additional hour should you be looking to entertain. Bar packages must be combined with either an hors d' oeuvres package or a dinner package and are not offered on their own.
- Special Events: Sampan is the perfect location for entertaining. Two identical dining rooms flank a central bar for a welcoming feeling with great energy. The restaurant can seat up to 120 for a sit down dinner or in excess of 150 for a social gathering. The outdoor Graffiti Bar can host an additional 75 and is fully heated and open 10 months out of the year. Our event coordinator will work with you personally and all menus are fully customizable.
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Limited street parking is available, in addition to public parking lots on Sansom Street in between 12th & 13th Streets and 13th & Broad Streets. There is also a parking garage on the corner of 13th Street, in between Chestnut Street & Market Street.
A word from Sampan - Philadelphia
Sampan, an intimate new restaurant located in Center City, Philadelphia, serves a fun menu of modern Asian small plates, ideal for mixing, matching and sharing. The comfortable, inviting setting offers guests an intimate, up-close-and-personal experience with Chef Michael Schulson and the acclaimed cuisine that has made him one of the country’s most sought-after chefs. Designed by Philadelphia’s Sparks Design and Urban Space Development, Sampan offers seating for up to 120 guests in a warm, comfortable setting. The restaurant features reclaimed timber, distressed metals and a rustic, natural aesthetic anchored by a custom-crafted, color washed painting that illuminates the room and lends a soft, glowing ambiance to the cozy space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Sampan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Sampan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (170)hot spot (137)good for groups (114)vibrant bar scene (91)special occasion (82)neighborhood gem (80)romantic (43)late-night find (40)great for outdoor dining (40)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great restaurant week spotsteveDined on 9/19/2014I've been wanting to eat dinner here for a long time. Their happy hour food and drinks are well known to me, but I had only heard about their full menu. We had a group of 6 guys in town for the weekend and decided to eat at Sampan. The waiter gave us the option of eating off of the Restaurant Week menu or doing chef's choice and they'd just bring us out 6 big dishes for us. Amazing entrees and finished off with fish food and m &m mini ice cream cones. Definitely recommend coming back hereSpecial Features:
- One of best restaurant wk spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014They offer a 7 course tasting menu for restaurant week. Great for foodies as can try a variety. Excellent portion sizes. We were fed full afterwards. And all food was absolutely delicious. Def one of my best restaurant week experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Food was delish and they were very accomadating. We arrived arout 30 mins before our reservation but they still seated us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGJamlovesfoodDined on 9/18/2014Everything that came to the rave was cooked to perfection. The service was amazing and the atmosphere of the restaurant was the finishing touches on a perfect night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates, Large TasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014My friend and I went in for restaurant week but ended up wanting to split it because of the large quantity of food served. It was essentially the chef's tasting which is seven small dishes and some soft serve for dessert. We were told we couldn't split it, so we ended up just getting two small plates and drinks. They're shrimp and lobster wontons in broth are great and I recommend their blood orange cocktail. I had been in the back for Graffiti Bar (an extension of the restaurant that basically serves the same menu) the night before and liked their cocktails very much. My only complaint is that apparently there is a separate menu for seating at the bar which had alternate food that my friend had liked and it wasn't an option. Also, noisy.Special Features:
- great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The food is good, service is good, but the place was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had too much funMizValDined on 9/17/2014Our group headed here for Restaurant Week.What a busy place! But you get caught up watching all the people come in , drinking and eating We had a great time picking out various items from the menu to sample.Everything was bought to the table and explained by our server before we dug in.Did we ever! Food just kept on coming . Fresh and delicious in smell and taste.My favorite part of the evening was when Fred Liebner stopped at our table to chat briefly. I'm an old school diner and I like when managers and owners connect with their guest. It shows that they are interested in the dining experience of the guestSpecial Features:
- Will definitely go back!yumyumzDined on 9/16/2014My friends and I tried Sampan during Restaurant Week, and it by far exceeded our expectations. The food, service and decor were on point! The cheesesteak dumplings, Korean BBQ skewers and salmon fillets were among our favorites. We also savored Sampan's fun selection of ice cream flavors and highly recommend the Fruity Pebbles. Overall, our experience was amazing and we intend to return for another delicious meal.Special Features:
- FOODlakesideDined on 9/16/2014FOOD WAS GOOD GREAT PLACE TO TAKE FRIENDS AND SIMPLE DIFFERNT THINGSpecial Features:
- Great Asian Fusion Restaurant!DanielCVIPDined on 9/15/2014While visiting Philadelphia on vacation, I stopped by Sampan for dinner. Much to my delight, the food proved to be particularly good, balanced, and true to a lot of its origins. My favorite dishes included the Korean BBQ skewers (tasted very authentic and delicious), the spicy tuna on crispy rice (nicely seasoned tuna on unique rice nori crackers) and really refreshing crab wonton tacos! The restaurant itself also had a great, boisterous vibe. If you mine watching kitchens, I also strongly recommend sitting at the kitchen bar. On busy nights, watching the kitchen is like watching really impressive organized chaos. Kudos to executive Chef Travis Masar for a stellar dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellent experiencerissa77Dined on 9/15/2014This was my first time at this establishment. The food was incredible, our server was great. I will definitely come again, just hope I dont have to wait 20-30 minutes after my reservation time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great impressionMikeDined on 9/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and food. The wait staff were fantastic and could not do enough for us. Will definitely have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I took my sons ( 10 and 6) to dinner for resturant week. The waitress was so nice and very helpful, she explained the menu and sugguested that we order from the regular menu instead of the RW menu. This was perfect because the food was just the right amount, she was great with the kids. And even surprised us with desert. We all loved it and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant week-bad ideabizzybeeDined on 9/14/2014They had a chef's tasting of 7 menu items for $35 per person. What they don't tell you is that it's 7 choices for the entire table, no matter how large a party. We ordered the shrimp & crab dumplings which were disgusting. They had the weirdest texture and I can't say what was actually inside but it didn't taste like seafood. Chicken bao bun, Kobe bbq beef, spicy shrimp, scallops and the fried rice were all mediocre. The Vietnamese filet was absolutely the worst thing I've ever tasted. It had this bitter black licorice taste and it was burnt which made matters worse. It was not palatable, much worse than the dumplings. The manager was nice and stated he would take care of my next visit. I left dissatisfied and hungry and won't return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014We did a vegetarian tasting menu and it was fabulous!! Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent food a bit too noisyMMSuburbanitesDined on 9/13/2014Had a great meal before a seeing a show at the Forrest theater. However difficult to carry on a descent conversation even just across the 2 person table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Fusionvb210VIPDined on 9/12/2014Great food, definitely recommend the brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- DisappointedlolapurpleDined on 9/12/2014I was so disappointed with both the food and service here. I thought that Michael's retake of East Asian cuisine is too far off the scale and he didn't quite reimagine or recapture the flavor and the essence. The waitress we had was also very rude that night unfortunately. She was not helpful either. I left me without desire to give a restaurant a second chance.
- Great food!EsskayDined on 9/11/2014Great food, good ambience. Definitely not for a date or family. But good for friends and good vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, imaginative menuFoodmavenDined on 9/11/2014Food supreme, big noise, rapid-fire service, check it out for sure! Chances are you'll love it if noise doesn't floor you (or else dine early or late, when the crowd lessens)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I highly recommend 'Korean BBQ satay', 'Kobe beef satay', 'Pork bao bun', 'Crispy spice shrimp', and 'Pekin Duck'. I felt Udon and Dumplings were a little bit mediocre, though. Besides the food, I also love the location, the ex/interior, and the atmosphere as well. I will definitely visit Sampan for a friends get-together and special occasions again.Special Features:
- great foodbernDined on 9/11/2014Loved our dinner at Sampan we had a great time We enjoyed restaurant week experience and look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy eaterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014Food and service were great but not the place for conversationSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We participated in restaurant week and received 7 courses plus dessert. There were several choices to choose from and all were delicious! The Kobe beef fried rice and calamari salad were my personal favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencecheriDined on 9/10/2014They have Asian food served tapas style. This is great for sampling a large variety of dishes. We had the 7 course sampling, and each course just got better and better. My new favorite restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceMarkAndCheeseDined on 9/9/2014The food is great and their menu offers a lot of diversity but the service needs to be improvedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishFoodie4LifeDined on 9/9/2014The food here is delicious and the smells and combination of ingredients will keep you coming back for more. Went there with several friends and we were all served hot food very promptly. Everyone enjoyed their food and the price was rightSpecial Features:
- lovesteakDined on 9/8/2014Restaurant Week menu is a little misleading, I felt as though I was at tribal council having to agree on everything that we were going to share, two people being carnivores and one being a vegetarian, it took sometime to come to an agreement. Service was on point and the food was amazing! I would absolutely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014One word - Delicious!! The waitress was great but she had a little trouble explaining the restaurant week offer. No worries though because everything was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014Great for small groups You get to pick 7 items per table Which is good for small groups Trying to get large groups to agree takes some timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding for Restaurant WeekJulesVIPDined on 9/7/2014One of my favorite spots for Philadelphia Restaurant Week. $35 for 7-course tasting menu and soft serve (offered daily for $45 outside of RW). Portions of each course are very generous--you will leave very full. Unique and delicious flavors and textures. We were sat on time and the service was very good. My only wish was that the wine by the glass wasn't so marked up and that they had more sake by the glass options.Special Features:
- Awesome placeChacha88Dined on 9/7/2014Last week was the first time for mu mom and I to had a dinner at Sampan! The foods, the environment, and the service were awesome..However the presentation of the foods was not really good..It just too plan but the taste was awesome..!!Will be back again for sure..!!Just hang in there guys..:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Tried Sampan for the first time during restaurant week. It was great. Our only complaint is that we felt rushed. The food was not spaced out at all and we didn't have time to enjoy each item. Other than that - it was perfect.
- fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014the food was great and only out done by the server we had named frank. he was awesome. totally told us the lay of the land in terms of the menu and made sure everything was perfect. thanks frank!Special Features:
- AutumnDined on 8/31/2014Sampan was a good destination for my family--two teenage daughters, a boyfriend in the mix and my husband and I. The experience of selecting our choices for the Chef Tasting, followed by the novelty of the mini ice cream cones, made the evening really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Small Plates in PhillyCharliesChatDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had one of the best small plate experiences anywhere with a close friend on this past Sunday evening. We arrived early And had a drink at the Graffiti Bar. Fun atmosphere, it would be best if with a bigger group. They had good prices during happy hour. When our friend arrived, we were seated at a comfortable table and were greeted by a knowledgeable and very pleasant waitress. We had excellent Kobe steak Satay, lamb ribs small plate and beef short ribs large plate. Awesome! We also enjoyed Roasted Brussel sprouts and broccoli. There was a mixyourown Szechuan sauce on the table which added some spice. But, the meats were so flavorful , the sauce was unnecessary. The atmosphere matched the fun and creative menu choices .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeanieDined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia! If you haven't gone yet you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loudfoodie46VIPDined on 8/28/2014The noise level precluded both conversation and enjoyment of food. Don't go here if you want to visit with friends or hear anything other than the deafening roar! I won't be back.
- Terrific food!LunchEaterVIPDined on 8/25/2014My favorite were the brussle sprouts -- they were grilled and flavored with a lemony dressing. -- but all our dishes were very good! The downside is the place is VERY loud.Special Features:
- Always amazing!NotHappyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Every time we dine at Sampan we are surprised at the consistent level of excellence--in food and service. Amazing!Special Features: