Sampan - Philadelphia
124 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sampan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sampanphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157323501
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday Happy Hour: Everyday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schulson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hors d' oeuvres packages start at $15 per person per hour and dinner packages start at $40 per person. Open bar packages start at $25 per person for the first two hours and $7 for each additional hour should you be looking to entertain. Bar packages must be combined with either an hors d' oeuvres package or a dinner package and are not offered on their own.
- Special Events: Sampan is the perfect location for entertaining. Two identical dining rooms flank a central bar for a welcoming feeling with great energy. The restaurant can seat up to 120 for a sit down dinner or in excess of 150 for a social gathering. The outdoor Graffiti Bar can host an additional 75 and is fully heated and open 10 months out of the year. Our event coordinator will work with you personally and all menus are fully customizable.
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Limited street parking is available, in addition to public parking lots on Sansom Street in between 12th & 13th Streets and 13th & Broad Streets. There is also a parking garage on the corner of 13th Street, in between Chestnut Street & Market Street.
A word from Sampan - Philadelphia
Sampan, an intimate new restaurant located in Center City, Philadelphia, serves a fun menu of modern Asian small plates, ideal for mixing, matching and sharing. The comfortable, inviting setting offers guests an intimate, up-close-and-personal experience with Chef Michael Schulson and the acclaimed cuisine that has made him one of the country’s most sought-after chefs. Designed by Philadelphia’s Sparks Design and Urban Space Development, Sampan offers seating for up to 120 guests in a warm, comfortable setting. The restaurant features reclaimed timber, distressed metals and a rustic, natural aesthetic anchored by a custom-crafted, color washed painting that illuminates the room and lends a soft, glowing ambiance to the cozy space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sampan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Sampan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (172)hot spot (138)good for groups (115)vibrant bar scene (93)neighborhood gem (85)special occasion (77)late-night find (45)romantic (45)great for outdoor dining (36)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Sampamlisamyers1VIPDined on 10/23/2014We reserved our table via open table and were seated within minutes of arriving. We decided to do the chef's tasting menu and what a great choice. We ordered, shrimp dumplings, lobster/shrimp spring rolls, Korean fried chicken, short ribs, scallops and desert was cute little icecream cones-fruit loop and chocolate pretzel. The food was so flavorful. We had the humongous vodka drink which was too much for two people but it was delicious. Highly recommended. Superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HrOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great time sat night and thought the food was fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeetEatsDined on 10/17/2014Tasty chic with fun service. A very hip place to bring out of town guests.Special Features:
- fusion dim sumPeeJay59Dined on 10/16/2014Downtown location walking distance from hotels near city hall. Tasty food in small portions for sharing. Loved the brussell sprouts (larger portion than other offerings) and the quail was great (one person portion sized).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MareetzDined on 10/12/2014I have enjoyed Sampan before and had not been back in awhile - I found the food and service better than I remembered. Everything was delicious (the various lamb, duck and tuna dishes were outstanding) and perfectly capped off with rice-crisy treat / ice cream sushi roll.Special Features:
- great place!critiqueVIPDined on 10/11/2014Tried this place for our first time and we really liked both the atmosphere & food. Wish I had more room to try other menu items, but that just means we'll have to be back soon! For an early 5pm reservation, the food came out real quick, so I only wish there was a bit more time in between to really enjoy it. One of the specialty cocktails was yummy (rum/cinnamon/apple) & I would've liked to try one of the others. Our waitress was very nice and described the menu quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing asian foodsam29Dined on 10/10/2014Really good dining experience. I tried the chef's menu, selecting a variation of 5 dishes. Try to avoid seats at the counter, to close the kitchen when you leave the restaurant with a huge smell of frying.Special Features:
- Great food, too much noiseRossMcKVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food at our dinner at Sampan was great! We took the tasting ($45 apiece for 7 courses), which was a huge bargain. One great course after another. I can highly recommend the seared scallop, the pekin duck, and the pad thai. But everything was excellent. Wine list is nicely chosen for the cuisine. Friendly, helpful staff. The only flaw - it's loud. As in *very* loud. As in, have a good conversation outside and smile across the table thenceforth. Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated - but we did have to speak very loudly. Otherwise it's super. And it might not be so bad on something other than a Friday/Saturday night. Highly recommended for the food and bang for the buck.Special Features:
- Fun, flavorful and GFMaryVIPDined on 10/9/2014My friends and I recently went to Sampan prior to going to the theater. We found the atmosphere fun, the waitstaff knowledgeable, and the food delicious, fresh, and healthy. They offer a separat GF menu which met the needs of one from our group with gluten intolerance. We ordered small plates to share, and the drinks were unusual and delicious. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!macmomDined on 10/4/2014Had a great time. Food was flavorful and creative! Service was wonderful!!!!Special Features:
- Asian fusion done right.mare713Dined on 10/3/2014Good ambiance, wait staff, and food....all you can ask for a lovely dining experience. I had the chef's tasting that comprised of 5 dishes you pick off the regular menu. The pork bun is simply divine which is probably very unexpected since it's a pork bun...but the perfectly crispy exterior and succulent interior was perfection. There was no sauces weighing the bun down (the way most places serve it). The other choices were good (wagyu beef appetizer, roast duck, fried rice and mini ice cream cones) but they still didn't stack up to the pork buns.Special Features:
- Everything was excellentmariae2VIPDined on 9/30/2014I always forget about this place. Came for a friend's bday had about 8 dishes and everything was delicious! Favorites included the edamame dumplings, Peking duck and Brussels sprouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan-Asian that tries BUT THE NOISEFoodFriendDined on 9/23/2014The menu reads well and excitingly. We chose two different kinds of dumplings, a Vietnamese pork salad and a scallop dish. The dumplings were well-prepared. The Vietnamese pork salad was disappointing. The meat was a little over-cooked and hard, the salad tried to emulate the chill and citrus flavours of South-East Asia but had too much liquid. The scallops were huge and delicious. We were welcomed heartily, taken directly to a table we had booked. We were attended enthusiastically. Like many popular eating places today, this is a VERY noisy environment that can be heard from outside in the street. I wouldn't suggest this is the place for a romantic evening out yet people did converse somehow with great enthusiasm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceMams23Dined on 9/23/2014I have been twice and both times were wonderful experiences with level of service, food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMariatiniVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love the Chef's Tasting Menu at Sampan. The hardest part is agreeing on what to order! The food is always delicious and the portions are just right so you leave feeling satisfied but not stuffed. Wine list is good. I don't love how cramped the restaurant is - we always end up too close to the diners next to us which is uncomfortable. Atmosphere is nice. Servers are very knowledgeable regarding menu items. Recommended restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 9/22/2014this is a great place for upscale asian cuisine. I can't believe I hadn't tried it sooner. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!Malfano12Dined on 9/21/2014After having very reasonably priced drinks in the graffiti bar (which is such a cool atmosphere with a tv at the bar to watch the football games!) which is located right outside the restaurant, i went into the restaurant where i was seated right away, greeted almost immediately by our server, and asked if i had been there before. The lighting and ambiance of this restaurant is so soothing and romantic, cool neon lights on the designed walls, and the food is served as it is made. Not too many options on the menu but what we got tasted delicious. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the area, especially if your taking the trip to Philly for the first time. Reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Great food, fun placePaulDined on 9/20/2014We went to Sampan when it just opened and were unimpressed. But all our friends said to try it again - and we're very glad we did! We had to wait for about 15 minutes for our table to open up, but the service was perfect after that. The food - much better than I remember from before - came out almost as soon as we ordered it, and our server was great about adding additional items and making recommendations. I'm sure we'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great restaurant week spotsteveDined on 9/19/2014I've been wanting to eat dinner here for a long time. Their happy hour food and drinks are well known to me, but I had only heard about their full menu. We had a group of 6 guys in town for the weekend and decided to eat at Sampan. The waiter gave us the option of eating off of the Restaurant Week menu or doing chef's choice and they'd just bring us out 6 big dishes for us. Amazing entrees and finished off with fish food and m &m mini ice cream cones. Definitely recommend coming back hereSpecial Features:
- One of best restaurant wk spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014They offer a 7 course tasting menu for restaurant week. Great for foodies as can try a variety. Excellent portion sizes. We were fed full afterwards. And all food was absolutely delicious. Def one of my best restaurant week experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePhillygirl04Dined on 9/19/2014Food was delish and they were very accomadating. We arrived arout 30 mins before our reservation but they still seated us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGJamlovesfoodDined on 9/18/2014Everything that came to the rave was cooked to perfection. The service was amazing and the atmosphere of the restaurant was the finishing touches on a perfect night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates, Large Tastemusicman9292Dined on 9/18/2014My friend and I went in for restaurant week but ended up wanting to split it because of the large quantity of food served. It was essentially the chef's tasting which is seven small dishes and some soft serve for dessert. We were told we couldn't split it, so we ended up just getting two small plates and drinks. They're shrimp and lobster wontons in broth are great and I recommend their blood orange cocktail. I had been in the back for Graffiti Bar (an extension of the restaurant that basically serves the same menu) the night before and liked their cocktails very much. My only complaint is that apparently there is a separate menu for seating at the bar which had alternate food that my friend had liked and it wasn't an option. Also, noisy.Special Features:
- great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The food is good, service is good, but the place was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had too much funMizValDined on 9/17/2014Our group headed here for Restaurant Week.What a busy place! But you get caught up watching all the people come in , drinking and eating We had a great time picking out various items from the menu to sample.Everything was bought to the table and explained by our server before we dug in.Did we ever! Food just kept on coming . Fresh and delicious in smell and taste.My favorite part of the evening was when Fred Liebner stopped at our table to chat briefly. I'm an old school diner and I like when managers and owners connect with their guest. It shows that they are interested in the dining experience of the guestSpecial Features:
- Will definitely go back!yumyumzDined on 9/16/2014My friends and I tried Sampan during Restaurant Week, and it by far exceeded our expectations. The food, service and decor were on point! The cheesesteak dumplings, Korean BBQ skewers and salmon fillets were among our favorites. We also savored Sampan's fun selection of ice cream flavors and highly recommend the Fruity Pebbles. Overall, our experience was amazing and we intend to return for another delicious meal.Special Features:
- FOODlakesideDined on 9/16/2014FOOD WAS GOOD GREAT PLACE TO TAKE FRIENDS AND SIMPLE DIFFERNT THINGSpecial Features:
- Great Asian Fusion Restaurant!DanielCVIPDined on 9/15/2014While visiting Philadelphia on vacation, I stopped by Sampan for dinner. Much to my delight, the food proved to be particularly good, balanced, and true to a lot of its origins. My favorite dishes included the Korean BBQ skewers (tasted very authentic and delicious), the spicy tuna on crispy rice (nicely seasoned tuna on unique rice nori crackers) and really refreshing crab wonton tacos! The restaurant itself also had a great, boisterous vibe. If you mine watching kitchens, I also strongly recommend sitting at the kitchen bar. On busy nights, watching the kitchen is like watching really impressive organized chaos. Kudos to executive Chef Travis Masar for a stellar dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellent experiencerissa77Dined on 9/15/2014This was my first time at this establishment. The food was incredible, our server was great. I will definitely come again, just hope I dont have to wait 20-30 minutes after my reservation time again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great impressionMikeDined on 9/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and food. The wait staff were fantastic and could not do enough for us. Will definitely have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I took my sons ( 10 and 6) to dinner for resturant week. The waitress was so nice and very helpful, she explained the menu and sugguested that we order from the regular menu instead of the RW menu. This was perfect because the food was just the right amount, she was great with the kids. And even surprised us with desert. We all loved it and will be back soon.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant week-bad ideabizzybeeDined on 9/14/2014They had a chef's tasting of 7 menu items for $35 per person. What they don't tell you is that it's 7 choices for the entire table, no matter how large a party. We ordered the shrimp & crab dumplings which were disgusting. They had the weirdest texture and I can't say what was actually inside but it didn't taste like seafood. Chicken bao bun, Kobe bbq beef, spicy shrimp, scallops and the fried rice were all mediocre. The Vietnamese filet was absolutely the worst thing I've ever tasted. It had this bitter black licorice taste and it was burnt which made matters worse. It was not palatable, much worse than the dumplings. The manager was nice and stated he would take care of my next visit. I left dissatisfied and hungry and won't return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014We did a vegetarian tasting menu and it was fabulous!! Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent food a bit too noisyMMSuburbanitesDined on 9/13/2014Had a great meal before a seeing a show at the Forrest theater. However difficult to carry on a descent conversation even just across the 2 person table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Fusionvb210VIPDined on 9/12/2014Great food, definitely recommend the brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- DisappointedlolapurpleDined on 9/12/2014I was so disappointed with both the food and service here. I thought that Michael's retake of East Asian cuisine is too far off the scale and he didn't quite reimagine or recapture the flavor and the essence. The waitress we had was also very rude that night unfortunately. She was not helpful either. I left me without desire to give a restaurant a second chance.
- Great food!EsskayDined on 9/11/2014Great food, good ambience. Definitely not for a date or family. But good for friends and good vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, imaginative menuFoodmavenDined on 9/11/2014Food supreme, big noise, rapid-fire service, check it out for sure! Chances are you'll love it if noise doesn't floor you (or else dine early or late, when the crowd lessens)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014I highly recommend 'Korean BBQ satay', 'Kobe beef satay', 'Pork bao bun', 'Crispy spice shrimp', and 'Pekin Duck'. I felt Udon and Dumplings were a little bit mediocre, though. Besides the food, I also love the location, the ex/interior, and the atmosphere as well. I will definitely visit Sampan for a friends get-together and special occasions again.Special Features:
- great foodbernDined on 9/11/2014Loved our dinner at Sampan we had a great time We enjoyed restaurant week experience and look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.