Sampan - Philadelphia
124 South 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Sampan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sampanphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 732-3501
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday Happy Hour: Everyday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael Schulson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Hors d' oeuvres packages start at $15 per person per hour and dinner packages start at $40 per person. Open bar packages start at $25 per person for the first two hours and $7 for each additional hour should you be looking to entertain. Bar packages must be combined with either an hors d' oeuvres package or a dinner package and are not offered on their own.
- Special Events: Sampan is the perfect location for entertaining. Two identical dining rooms flank a central bar for a welcoming feeling with great energy. The restaurant can seat up to 120 for a sit down dinner or in excess of 150 for a social gathering. The outdoor Graffiti Bar can host an additional 75 and is fully heated and open 10 months out of the year. Our event coordinator will work with you personally and all menus are fully customizable.
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Limited street parking is available, in addition to public parking lots on Sansom Street in between 12th & 13th Streets and 13th & Broad Streets. There is also a parking garage on the corner of 13th Street, in between Chestnut Street & Market Street.
A word from Sampan - Philadelphia
Sampan, an intimate new restaurant located in Center City, Philadelphia, serves a fun menu of modern Asian small plates, ideal for mixing, matching and sharing. The comfortable, inviting setting offers guests an intimate, up-close-and-personal experience with Chef Michael Schulson and the acclaimed cuisine that has made him one of the country’s most sought-after chefs. Designed by Philadelphia’s Sparks Design and Urban Space Development, Sampan offers seating for up to 120 guests in a warm, comfortable setting. The restaurant features reclaimed timber, distressed metals and a rustic, natural aesthetic anchored by a custom-crafted, color washed painting that illuminates the room and lends a soft, glowing ambiance to the cozy space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sampan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Sampan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (180)hot spot (137)good for groups (128)neighborhood gem (88)vibrant bar scene (81)special occasion (73)romantic (45)late-night find (36)great for outdoor dining (31)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Food is fresh and exquisite, a tip-top experience, unforgettable and almost euphoric: (food-ual) Visual presentation will pleasantly fool your taste buds unexpectedly. My humble suggestion is to try churros: My closest analogy is like eating clouds - light and fluffy melts in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AsiaSeanDined on 11/21/2014Quality...shall I say more..............................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014The food was delicious, it was a perfect night. My only complaint was the door was left open on a cold night. Some of us had to wear their coats the whole time. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ari1Dined on 11/15/2014Food was sooooo good. Awesome place to share food with people and order a bunch of different stuff. The server we had was really good, attentive, and friendly. Definitely go here the food is amazing. Recommend brussel sprouts, orange chicken, edamame dumplings, tuna crackers, kobe beef...etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian Fusion Family StyleLisaDined on 11/15/2014The atmosphere was cozy. The wait staff was very friendly. The food was amazing. The brussel sprouts are a must-have and the Chilean Sea Bass was incredible!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014This was the second time I've eaten at Sampan and it was great. The small plates are wonderful. They allow you to try a myriad of dishes, just make sure you go with people who are looking to share! We did the tasting menu so it was portioned for two and it was just the right amount of food. Our waiter was both attentive and knowledgable about the menu. He recommended a sake that went nicely with our meal. Would recommend to someone looking for a night out. Beware if you're looking for a quiet atmosphere. This is definitely more of a hoping place on a crowded foodie and nightlife street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, drinks and ambiance!lovekia21Dined on 11/10/2014Loved the food, the drinks were perfectly balanced, and the servers really cater to you. It was a great place to catch up with a girlfriend and I enjoyed the upscale elegance and ambiance with reasonable pricing. Will be going back soon for happy hour next time (menu half off!!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerCameronVIPDined on 11/7/2014My buddy and I select different restaurants in the city once a month. We chose Sampan. I remember eating there a few years back and had a great meal. This time it was just average. Service was OK and the food didn't blow me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spotAcm5255VIPDined on 11/7/2014This was a great night out, the menu has a lot of variety, and some really fun options. I'd say the mushroom dumplings were the best thing we tried, and would definitely recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sampan 11/7/14: 7 out of 10.ButterBaconGarlic3Dined on 11/7/2014This was my second time dining at Sampan. The first time I went with my friend and we had plenty to eat and share amongst two people. This time I went with a group of 4 and we all got one appetizer each to share, we had to get two orders of some things to make sure we all got a decent amount of food, and we just got one meat and one fish dish along with duck fried rice. This was more than enough and we ended up having leftover. Hamachi ceviche is my favorite dish there! Everything else is really flavorful as well. The only downsides include the duck fried rice which is very over seasoned, and the music was way too loud on a Friday night. We had to yell to have conversations. Cocktails are decent and food always comes out decently fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely try it...TravelinguyDined on 11/5/2014I went to Sampan last week with 4 colleagues from work. We had the chef's tasting, which was a great choice. We selected 9 different aps/entrees from the menu and they brought enough for us to share them all. Everyone gets to taste each choice. There was more than enough food for everyone. Not 1 complaint about any of the selections. Try the pork buns, and the sea bass. Both were awesome. So glad I found this place. Can't wait to come back and try the rest of the menu! PS. Everyone in my party was thoroughly impressed with this place, which is not easy to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceMediocreDined on 11/5/2014The Kung Pao shrimp was amazing! Also, try the bbq beef. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I chose Sampan for my farewell dinner and as always, I had a great time! The food is ALWAYS amazing, the service is great and the ambiance is perfect! Sampan never disappoints!! I'm hoping I can find something that I'll love just as much in D.C.!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreNoLib22Dined on 11/1/2014Everyone I know raves about Sampan, but this was the 2nd time I went and the 2nd time I was disappointed. The first appetizers were great. But the fried rice was worse than something I would get at a take out restaurant. Also, the tempura shrimp is the exact same as the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bone Fish Grill, and the Duck entree that we had was again disappointment. I was not impressed at all.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodnutDined on 10/31/2014I've been here two times in the last three months. I don't live nearby otherwise I would be there more often. I've tried several selections off the menu using the chef's tasting selection. All of the food I chose was great. The beef short rib just melts in your mouth. One of my favorite meals I've had in several years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingspeedyDined on 10/31/2014The food was great. Each selected item was better than the previous course. The only problem was our table for two was set for three and a little to small for my liking.Special Features:
- Dining before the theaterll2dineoutDined on 10/31/2014After I had been to Sampan with a group,I recommended Sampan to my husband for a great restaurant before a show. The waiter was very friendly and helpful with suggestions from the chef"s tasting menu. He also asked about gluten and food allergies. We enjoy exploring new tastes and twists on the familiar and this menu let us "picnic"on many small plates. We really enjoyed our selections- crab tacos, sea bass, Kobe beef satay, and brussel sprouts (try them !) to name a few. Service was prompt but not rushed. We will definitely return, and I have recommended Sampan to others who also enjoyed their dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! But door to outside openshells1234Dined on 10/29/2014Had a really delicious dinner - great for sharing plates, and as a vegetarian I was thrilled with their vegetarian menu (though beware! the edamame dumplings come in a broth derived from fish! you can get it on the side but why is that then even on the veg menu?! so glad the waitress told me!). Everything looks beautiful and tastes even better. However we were seated near the front and the door to the outside kept sticking, bringing in 40 degree drafts from outside. After my friend got up about 5 times to close it, we notified the manager and he said he would be on the lookout for it and close it when possible, but it still was stuck open really often.Special Features:
- Bad serviceLove2eat85Dined on 10/29/2014Got rushed out during a business dinner I was hosting for 9 people because they needed one of our tables for a reservation for two later that night, will definitely never host any business events here again. Did the chef's tasting menu and they brought out all 9 courses within a 5 min timespan which caused a lot of our food to get cold.
- One of the best restaurants ever.MartyAttorneyDined on 10/27/2014I am from NY and would drive down to Philadelphia just to eat at this restaurant...it's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great food and service. Bad hostess, and did not get seated at our reservation timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexBVIPDined on 10/25/2014Generally a good visit, they accommodated our larger group of friends. We opted for the tasting menu, and while it was good, we had a pescetarian, that choice dominated a fair bit of our offerings. I was hopeful that for that person's restrictions, there would be substitutes. Anyway, what we were offered was pretty good. The dumplings were good, and brussels sprouts were a bit salty, but I couldn't stop myself from eating more. The chilean sea bass was pretty good as well. I couldn't stop eating the Kung Pao shrimp. I was hoping for a Peking duck/chicken option, but didn't happen. I'll go back again. Also note, when it's warmer, there's a bar behind the restaurant. Slip down the alley near the front door to get to the Graffiti Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sampamlisamyers1VIPDined on 10/23/2014We reserved our table via open table and were seated within minutes of arriving. We decided to do the chef's tasting menu and what a great choice. We ordered, shrimp dumplings, lobster/shrimp spring rolls, Korean fried chicken, short ribs, scallops and desert was cute little icecream cones-fruit loop and chocolate pretzel. The food was so flavorful. We had the humongous vodka drink which was too much for two people but it was delicious. Highly recommended. Superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HrOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great time sat night and thought the food was fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeetEatsDined on 10/17/2014Tasty chic with fun service. A very hip place to bring out of town guests.Special Features:
- fusion dim sumPeeJay59Dined on 10/16/2014Downtown location walking distance from hotels near city hall. Tasty food in small portions for sharing. Loved the brussell sprouts (larger portion than other offerings) and the quail was great (one person portion sized).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MareetzDined on 10/12/2014I have enjoyed Sampan before and had not been back in awhile - I found the food and service better than I remembered. Everything was delicious (the various lamb, duck and tuna dishes were outstanding) and perfectly capped off with rice-crisy treat / ice cream sushi roll.Special Features:
- great place!critiqueVIPDined on 10/11/2014Tried this place for our first time and we really liked both the atmosphere & food. Wish I had more room to try other menu items, but that just means we'll have to be back soon! For an early 5pm reservation, the food came out real quick, so I only wish there was a bit more time in between to really enjoy it. One of the specialty cocktails was yummy (rum/cinnamon/apple) & I would've liked to try one of the others. Our waitress was very nice and described the menu quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing asian foodsam29Dined on 10/10/2014Really good dining experience. I tried the chef's menu, selecting a variation of 5 dishes. Try to avoid seats at the counter, to close the kitchen when you leave the restaurant with a huge smell of frying.Special Features:
- Great food, too much noiseRossMcKVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food at our dinner at Sampan was great! We took the tasting ($45 apiece for 7 courses), which was a huge bargain. One great course after another. I can highly recommend the seared scallop, the pekin duck, and the pad thai. But everything was excellent. Wine list is nicely chosen for the cuisine. Friendly, helpful staff. The only flaw - it's loud. As in *very* loud. As in, have a good conversation outside and smile across the table thenceforth. Well, maybe that's a bit exaggerated - but we did have to speak very loudly. Otherwise it's super. And it might not be so bad on something other than a Friday/Saturday night. Highly recommended for the food and bang for the buck.Special Features:
- Fun, flavorful and GFMaryVIPDined on 10/9/2014My friends and I recently went to Sampan prior to going to the theater. We found the atmosphere fun, the waitstaff knowledgeable, and the food delicious, fresh, and healthy. They offer a separat GF menu which met the needs of one from our group with gluten intolerance. We ordered small plates to share, and the drinks were unusual and delicious. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!macmomDined on 10/4/2014Had a great time. Food was flavorful and creative! Service was wonderful!!!!Special Features:
- Asian fusion done right.mare713Dined on 10/3/2014Good ambiance, wait staff, and food....all you can ask for a lovely dining experience. I had the chef's tasting that comprised of 5 dishes you pick off the regular menu. The pork bun is simply divine which is probably very unexpected since it's a pork bun...but the perfectly crispy exterior and succulent interior was perfection. There was no sauces weighing the bun down (the way most places serve it). The other choices were good (wagyu beef appetizer, roast duck, fried rice and mini ice cream cones) but they still didn't stack up to the pork buns.Special Features:
- Everything was excellentmariae2VIPDined on 9/30/2014I always forget about this place. Came for a friend's bday had about 8 dishes and everything was delicious! Favorites included the edamame dumplings, Peking duck and Brussels sprouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pan-Asian that tries BUT THE NOISEFoodFriendDined on 9/23/2014The menu reads well and excitingly. We chose two different kinds of dumplings, a Vietnamese pork salad and a scallop dish. The dumplings were well-prepared. The Vietnamese pork salad was disappointing. The meat was a little over-cooked and hard, the salad tried to emulate the chill and citrus flavours of South-East Asia but had too much liquid. The scallops were huge and delicious. We were welcomed heartily, taken directly to a table we had booked. We were attended enthusiastically. Like many popular eating places today, this is a VERY noisy environment that can be heard from outside in the street. I wouldn't suggest this is the place for a romantic evening out yet people did converse somehow with great enthusiasm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceMams23Dined on 9/23/2014I have been twice and both times were wonderful experiences with level of service, food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMariatiniVIPDined on 9/22/2014We love the Chef's Tasting Menu at Sampan. The hardest part is agreeing on what to order! The food is always delicious and the portions are just right so you leave feeling satisfied but not stuffed. Wine list is good. I don't love how cramped the restaurant is - we always end up too close to the diners next to us which is uncomfortable. Atmosphere is nice. Servers are very knowledgeable regarding menu items. Recommended restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 9/22/2014this is a great place for upscale asian cuisine. I can't believe I hadn't tried it sooner. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!Malfano12Dined on 9/21/2014After having very reasonably priced drinks in the graffiti bar (which is such a cool atmosphere with a tv at the bar to watch the football games!) which is located right outside the restaurant, i went into the restaurant where i was seated right away, greeted almost immediately by our server, and asked if i had been there before. The lighting and ambiance of this restaurant is so soothing and romantic, cool neon lights on the designed walls, and the food is served as it is made. Not too many options on the menu but what we got tasted delicious. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the area, especially if your taking the trip to Philly for the first time. Reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Great food, fun placePaulDined on 9/20/2014We went to Sampan when it just opened and were unimpressed. But all our friends said to try it again - and we're very glad we did! We had to wait for about 15 minutes for our table to open up, but the service was perfect after that. The food - much better than I remember from before - came out almost as soon as we ordered it, and our server was great about adding additional items and making recommendations. I'm sure we'll go back again.Special Features: