Samovar Tea Lounge - Mission/Castro
498 Sanchez Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Samovar Tea Lounge - Mission/Castro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.samovarlife.com/lounges/mission-castro/
- Phone: 4156264700x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 10:00am-10:00pm
Lunch: Daily 10:00am-10:00pm
Dinner: Daily 10:00am-10:00pm
Brunch: Daily 10:00am-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We are happy to do off-site catering, for inquiries please email us.
- Private Party Facilities: At the crossroads of 18th and Sanchez Streets, between the Castro and the Mission, our original location hosts a separate private room for up to 15 friends, family, or coworkers. Or, for a party up to 10 guests, you can reserve the platform.
The Mission-Castro Tea Lounge accommodates groups of 1-75. You can reserve a table, a portion of the tea lounge, the back room, or the entire tea lounge.
- Private Party Contact: Ayesha Pirbhai x
A word from Samovar Tea Lounge - Mission/Castro
Here at Samovar Tea Lounge, it’s never simply business as usual. For us, serving highest quality teas and sumptuous complementary cuisine is an art and a vehicle for the greater good. Making people feel good, feel healthy and attain happiness is our bottom line. And, challenging as it is, seeing our guests beam with joy and express their heartfelt gratitude is worth all the effort. What we do is an expression of our values, the high ideals and essence of the tea experience, and we thank you for joining us.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Samovar Tea Lounge - Mission/Castro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good place to go for tea loversLive2dineDined on 12/29/2013Variety of tea, great place to spend the time with friends, quality food at reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Tea LoungechaiaddictDined on 12/26/2013I've come with girlfriends, sister, husband, and kids. Everyone loves this place! I've tried practically every food item on the menu and everything is delicious. But my favorite is the Japanese Tea Service, Smoked Duck Jook, and Masala Chai. My son loves their Quinoa Waffles. The service is always superb and the atmosphere is inviting and pleasant. I always look forward to my next Samovar visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique place for lunch and teahikers2Dined on 11/13/2013I brought a couple of friends to San Francisco to experience Samovar. We first went to Imagine Knit to buy some delightful yarns and then across the street for lunch. This was a perfect day! We all enjoyed a different tea along with our entree. The staff was vibrant and friendly as well as knowledgeable about the teas. We were treated to a sample of their freshly brewed cold tea which was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moorish tea for two at 3 on SundayhappyhumanDined on 10/20/2013We both had the Moorish service and then rose-infused greek yoghurt paired with Californian Persian. The service friendly and attentive. The mint tea refreshing and the Californian delicately perfumed and delicious. The food very good. The only disappointment was the bland eggplant dip, a far cry from the smoky garlicky baba ganoush we were expecting. But the stuffed walnut was really tasty and more than compensated. The rose yoghurt, dates and syrup was perfect with fresh strawberries - the portion size generous and easily big enough to share. The ambience pleasant with a low buzz of conversation and the relaxing bubble and occasional clink of the samovar tea pot lid in the background. Overall I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SpotRedcapDined on 10/19/2013Samovar's is great for conversation, and the food is delightful. The only reason this isn't a higher rating is because the portions are small. If you order a platter you'd best keep it for yourself. Samovars has a great, sophisticated-yet-cozy atmosphere; but Lovejoy's Tearoom will feed you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favorite spots ..altho'foodyforfivedecadesVIPDined on 9/26/2013the particular night we were there seemed to have alot of newbies in charge...one of the dishes was far too greasy . &.service was far too slow....overall therefore not as consistently good as i have come to expect in the past..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingCALMVIPDined on 8/26/2013Local convenient location with fast friendly service. I came in to enjoy a nice quiet peaceful moment in the evening to decompress from a stressful day. The tea is soothing and the food is delicious, not too heavy just enough. Great service, friendly, peaceful, and serene.Special Features:
- Healthy and Tasty!SisterhalfDined on 8/4/2013Such a great experience dining here! The tea selection is fantastic, and the food options were both healthy AND tasty--double win in my book! Will be coming back soon! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good light foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2013Food was excellent - they seem to have lighter snacks and sandwiches. Also - they don't serve wine... "yet" as the waitress mentioned. so not the best place for dinner - better for lunch. If you are vegan or veg it's great... and if you're not, its still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sadcaroleonDined on 6/15/2013I was so disappointed. I've had lunch there twice and both times it was an lovely experience. Dinner was not. The food was the same, the service was fine, but the music was loud and jittery and completely wrong for the place...very unpleasant. When the music is too loud, the people need to speak louder and louder...I really didn't want to know all the details of the life of the woman who was at the table next to me. Sitting at a regular table next to the upper cushioned area isn't very pleasant, either...the other people's feet are too close to one's face for comfort. Not a pleasant view and an unpleasant dining experience. I got out of there as quick as I could. And I doubt I'll go back. Too bad for me, because I liked it, before.
- Off beat tea housefood4thoughtDined on 6/15/2013love the wide selection of teas and eccentric menu that has a full range from healthy entrees to decadent delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mid-week tealuv2dineVIPDined on 6/11/2013very civilized meeting with new acquaintances during the week, the menu is an interesting talking point. food and tea both interesting and varied (teas more so) and great service.Special Features:
- Fun experience for a first-timerSFLocalGirlDined on 5/12/2013Sitting on the mats with pillows at the short table was fun, especially for my mom on Mother's Day. We ordered 2 tea sets plus a mini-Middle Eastern plate. There was a lot of repetition among the plates (e.g., same smoked salmon on the Japanese and Russian plates; same eggplant spread on the Russian and Middle Eastern plates; same crackers on the Russian and Middle Eastern plates). I don't know if I'd need to go again but if I was looking for a neighborhood tea spot with food, I might try some of the other menu offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Samovar! I only wishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2013I love Samovar! I only wish that their chai was made with almond milk instead of cow's milk. But aside from that, the tea and food is exquisite and the vibe, although a bit noisier than I had hoped, was fantastic. Now they just need to come to San Diego and all will be right in the world!Special Features:
- Unusual but delicious brunch optionOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/24/2013Refreshing to find a place where tea is treated with the love and reverence it deserves. There are many interesting teas to try and the staff is knowledgeable and helpful in assisting with menu choices. My family and I wanted to have an unhurried Sunday brunch in an ambient atmosphere and enjoy healthy interesting fare at the same time. This place scored on all those counts! My only criticism would be it is fairly expensive and the food portions are not large. However everything is lovingly prepared at the time by hand so I guess you get what you pay for and I think it is worth the splurge.Special Features:
- This is the type of placeRobbVIPDined on 2/18/2013This is the type of place to hang out at the end of a long day and just unwind. Let the servers bring the tea and have the aromas and scents overwhelm your senses. Order some food for pairing with the tea and enjoy time by yourself or with company. no complaints.Special Features:
- Fabulous experience overall.hikers2Dined on 2/13/2013Fabulous experience overall. Make sure to order one of the tea pairing dishes. Our group of seven each ordered something different and each were pleased with our choice. The presentation of the food is exquisite and the staff took additional time to explain the teas and how to steep, pour and taste to enjoy the tea at it's best. Put this on your list for an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:
- GREAT OASISOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2013A great oasis in the city with a calm, relaxed vibe. Held a business meeting there and everyone enjoyed themselves. The pineapple tea was the talk of the table.Special Features:
- Taking a friend to teaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/2/2013Fun menu items with different "themes" . Lots of tea options for the connoisseur. Location makes for people watching ease. service was very attentive and encourages a full enjoyment of the experience.Special Features:
- Their tea really is excellent.PepperEatsVIPDined on 1/13/2013Their tea really is excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful without overwhelming, and the food is excellent.
- Too expensive, insultingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/13/2013Nice but way too expensive for tea. Chai was 7 bucks and no refill, and that is one of the cheapest items. The brunch was good, but not spectacular. They also really want to turn tables over so not super relaxing, which you might want when spending 10$ on a pot of tea...
- Tea Joy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2013I have always enjoyed the tea and food at Samovar. I highly recommend the chai tea and the scone with clotted cream and jam. Sit, sip, enjoy and relax.Special Features:
- A Gem in the MissionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/3/2013What an amazing find this tea spot is. It is spotless, bright, and cozy. I dream about coming back and finding refuge on a wintery, rainy day. Best of all, the food is not only wonderful, it's interesting and creative. Presentation is exceptable. The service was the best! I brought a friend with me and we're already planning our next visit!Special Features:
- A civilized, quiet place toOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/29/2012A civilized, quiet place to enjoy some wonderful tea and nibbles with friends.Special Features:
- The food was amazing! My friendchaiaddictDined on 12/15/2012The food was amazing! My friend and I looked at the menu and wanted to try everything. There were only two of us, but we went ahead and ordered whatever we wanted to try... English Tea Service, Japanese Tea Service, Jook with Smoked Duck and in addition to the tea we had, we added the Masala Chai. We loved everything! We ended up with leftovers for dinner, which I enjoyed very much. The service was great too. The servers were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- This is a great place forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012This is a great place for sipping outstanding teas and just relaxing a bit. However, one should be mindful of what time one goes since it can be a bit noisy at certain times of the day due to the close proximity of tables. However, the services is excellent and the staff is quite friendly.Special Features:
- The tea selection is amazing.ReginaSFVIPDined on 11/21/2012The tea selection is amazing. The food was great. I was surprised at the quality and the wide variety in the menu. Great service - wonderful experience.
- Tea and CompanymindianerVIPDined on 11/11/2012I went for my birthday dinner here. They have thematic dinners--for instance I had a "Paleo" dinner. This consisted of artfully arranged kale, roasted turnips, and smoked salmon with a tasty dipping sauce. My friend had a cute dinner. The teas are delicious--I got a curry herbal tea and my friend got a good iced tea. Overall, not fancy, but a cute place with a nice unusual ambiance.Special Features: