1200 North Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sammystrattoria.com/
- Phone: 4108379999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sammy's catering menu is perfect for office lunches, offsite meetings and special occasions.
- Special Events: Sammy's is a fabulous venue for Wedding Receptions and Rehearsal dinners. Contact us for more details.
A word from Sammy's Trattoria
Sammy's Trattoria serves real, authentic Italian cuisine in a comfortable yet elegant setting. Try our "Family Style" dining where we prepare some of our specialties combined with some requests from you and serve you 4+ courses of fun, traditional Italian dining. (great for parties of 4+). Our homemade pastas, soups, stocks, and meatballs are old family recipes made daily. We pride ourselves in using only the freshest, best quality ingredients combined with traditional and thorough preparation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Sammy's Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
Sammy's Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (13)romantic (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Saturday at Sammy'sluvgr8pastaDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious. The vegetarian lasagna was excellent, but the portion could have been a little larger. The service was horrible. Our party of four waited a solid hour between the time we ordered and the time our food arrived. One gentleman in our party politely asked ---after 45 minutes---when the food would be arriving as we had tickets to the Meyerhoff. She never slowed her stride and cut him off mid-sentence with an indifferent retort. Secondly, she whisked the parmesan cheese right off our table without asking whether we were finished with it. We weren't! Our compliments to the chefs.
- good food, but long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We arrived at 5:45 . My reservation at open table requested a quiet table, the maitre'd knew nothing about this but worked to accommodate us. The food is very good but we were not served until 7:00 and that was with prompting. They suggest 2 hours before show times so this wait time seems to be their usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Table Rez Did Not HelpPawleysgirlDined on 10/11/2014Open Table confirmed 5:00pm rez for 3 on Sat 10/11. We made the rez at 1:30pm that day. We arrived at at 4:58pm,. The Host told us they 'd been booked for days and he could see our Open Table rez, but could not seat us.He then spent 25 min going from table to table (literally) to read reservation cards. Finally, he said we could take a seat and order but we had to "be finished" by 6:30 which gave us an hour- and who knew how the kitchen ran? Or, take seats at the Bar. My friend has Parkinson's, no bar stools.Plus bar also had reserved cards . We opted for a hurried dinner at a table w/ a 6:30 departure. As we asked for the bill, the Host said he had a cancellation, we could stay. We did not. Who's to blame? Open Table? Sammy's Trattoria?Special Features:
- Love this place. Staff is great.PattiDined on 10/10/2014Beats anything I've had here in Baltimore for Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation for Baltimore SymphonyBillDined on 10/10/2014Food was excellent. We had reservations and we had a nice restaurant on the second floor overlooking the beautiful 1st floor. We asked to sit at the large bar - but you had to specifically ask for a reservation at the bar. The waitress upstairs worked very hard as she was the only one to actually take care of all the tables. They should have two waitresses working the upstairs. There were several large parties downstairs - taking up the back of the downstairs area. My chcken parm was excellent and well worth the price. Our glasses of wine were okay but for 9 dollars nothing spectacular. It is too bad for such a good restaurant that they do not include a small with their entrees.Special Features:
- Great gem in B'morelegalianDined on 10/3/2014I was merely looking for a place close to the Lyric Opera House. However, my wife and I both loved this place. They called me by my first name as soon as I walked in (I suppose they guessed it was me from my reservation). They made us feel at home. The food was great and the service was outstanding. Not a big dessert guy, but their homemade cheese cake had the perfect consistency and tasted amazing. Just go here!Special Features:
- Sammy's Trattoria - 09-26-2014rwesleyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Every year we try this place at least once. Every year we say we'll never return. This time did it - we won't return...ever. Even with a reservation and the place half empty they tried to seat us at the least desirable table next to the front door. We refused that table. Re: Food: 2 veal dishes (Buxbaum; Involtini) very disappointing. Buxbaum - Veal seemed like fast food or commercially mass produced version. Too much Arugula salad on top dressed too heavily with something oily and sweet and not at all complimentary. Broccoli undercooked, overly dressed with large chunks of raw garlic. Involtini - Swimming in sauce. Pasta cold , dry. the worst "Italian" dinner we've had since the last time(s) we tried Sammy's. Never again.
- Mouthwatering Variety of Italytvlbug4everVIPDined on 9/23/2014I have been here a few times, and can't wait to return. The food is very fresh. The variety is wonderful. The service was great. What more could you want?Special Features:
- Sammy's - Excellent Italian Food!2ThumbsUpDined on 9/4/2014Always enjoy going to Sammy's! It's like going to an Italian relative's home for Sunday dinner (any day of the week) to partake of wonderful southern Italian favorities, and some new creations, too! The atmosphere is not Frank Sinatra and red-and-white checkered tablecloths. We have enough of that style of Italian restaurant. Sammy's is sleek and trendy, yet warm, welcoming, and informal. Food is excellent, and the cocktails generous! The wait staff, and bar staff, have been with Sammy since the beginning; going on ten years now! Sammy has a beautiful website. You should check it out! Better yet, just stop in and give them a try. You'll be won over immediately. I suggest calling for a reservation. Sammy's can, quite often, be very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSkerinDined on 8/29/2014Good food but slightly pricey for its dishes. will definitely go back. loved the lamb marsalaSpecial Features:
- Great foodMuleVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was my first time at the restaurant and I was surprised at how excellent the food was.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceRight322VIPDined on 8/9/2014From the second we walked in the service was terrible. 15 minutes after we ordered our wine the waitress came back to the table to remind her what wine we had ordered. We split and app and were finished for 10 minutes before she came back to take our dinner order. When we ordered they were out of BOTH entrees we asked for. Annoyed we decided to just split a pesto pizza. The thin crust pizza was taking close to 30 minutes so she apologized and brought us a Caesar salad. Thank god the pizza was actually really good. When we got the check they tried to charge us for a more expensive bottle of wine than we ordered. Overall, just an annoyingly bad experience.
- We love going anytime. Delicious!nathan10VIPDined on 8/2/2014Food is always fresh and delicious. Ww love going because its comfortable like visiting friends. Thus is one if our special places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is a problemFrequentdinerDined on 8/1/2014The food was, as always, extraordinarily good. The wait for the food was interminable. A quick business lunch took more than one and half hours.Special Features:
- hunterVIPDined on 7/26/2014My new favorite Italian restaurant in Baltimore .Special Features:
- Exceptional meal in a lovely spacempmayer73Dined on 7/26/2014What a wonderful meal. Both of our dishes were exceptionally tasty and the service was very friendly. While not a high-end place, the feel is very friendly and welcoming. The atmosphere is romantic when you need it to be or relaxed and comfortable for a family dinner or night out with friends. The restaurant is very versatile for whatever the occassion calls for. There was also only moderate noise levels so conversation at our table was easy going. I will definitely be going back to Sammy's in the near future.Special Features:
- The following 631 reviews are from the Sammy's Trattoria reviews archive.
- Perfect late evening mealFishLoverDined on 6/18/2014We had the chicken marsala and chicken picata, preceded by calamari. All were excellent. My only reservation about the place was that the olive oil dipping dish for bread on our. table had been used previously by some number of earlier parties, something we've not encountered before, and would prefer not to encounter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-theatermaggieDined on 6/13/2014the restaurant was very crowded and a party was going. the noise was over the top and it was difficult to talk to the people in the groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014Have always had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. The staff is particularly spectacular including the bartender. Dining at the bar is really fun tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allow TimePerfectBiteVIPDined on 6/5/2014Sammy's is in the perfect spot for theater-goers. It is a quick hop to the symphony hall or opera house. However, on theater nights, service is often very slow and we end up rushing to finish our meal before the theater. The past visit we allowed two hours -- and only had 15 minutes to eat! We typically order the tasty house "Julia" salad and portions are very ample. However, on a prior visit, the salad was drowning in oil. It helps to request that the kitchen go"light" on the dressing. Those are our only complaints. The pasta is always fresh and delicious and there is a nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice place, kinda loudItbychoiceDined on 5/19/2014I've been to Sammy's a few times, and the menu is always well-prepared, authentic, flavorful, imaginative and nicely presented. This time, however, we had the misfortune of dining at the same time that two very large groups were meeting, the noise level was very high, and the usually attentive staff was very busy. We did get served in a timely fashion, though, and our dinners were hot and delicious. I like Sammy's very much, and will go back again. Next time, I'll check and see if any simultaneous parties are planned and maybe try to visit at a less hectic time.Special Features:
- Fun fun funWeekenddinerDined on 5/17/2014We happened to be at Sammy's on a night that they had a group of two singing. What fun. Everyone was up dancing and singing along. It was very loud, but I was fine with that. The food was a little bit better than fair....but I would go back when the entertainment was there.Special Features:
- Pre Show DinnerJazzLoversVIPDined on 5/17/2014We always try to get a dinner reservation before any show we attend at the Meyerhoff or the Lyric. We get there early and put our food order in. Then we just sit back and relax over a nice dinner and a bottle of wine. Most of the waitstaff have been there for years and are very helpful and friendly. We definitely enjoy ourselves when we sit at the bar for our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014We hadn't been to Sammie's in a while and forgot how great it was. We had a reservation and were seated immediately . It took a few minutes for a waiter to acknowledge us but when Valerie came to the table she was amazing. She brought our drinks right away and even brought us out salads since we had been waiting. Everything she recommended was fabulous., including the fantastic lemonchelloe cheese cake. Will definetly be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceKTBaltimoreVIPDined on 5/9/2014Even though the servers are friendly, there are the same people who work there and they are often busy with lots of tables. I don't know if it's because of the kitchen or what, but there is often a lag between sitting and eating. Still love the food and place, so I will return. Just be aware!Special Features:
- What an improvement from last yearajtapsDined on 5/9/2014A friend and I ate there last year before the opera and had a table upstairs in the back. . We reserved two hours before the performance and barely made it. They simply forgot about us, then brought the wrong food, cold. It was a disaster and I swore never to go back. I went once during the year with some friends and was pleasantly surprised so decided to reserve before the opera again. I requested a table downstairs and got a lovely alcove table next to the window. There was a "reserved" note on the table for me and my friend. The food was absolutely delicious; I had the Judge K dish and my friend had the duck ravioli; service was great and now I recommend it wholeheartedly.Special Features:
- Sammy's never disappointsWiltJrDined on 5/2/2014The food, service and atmosphere are always consistently perfect for a great night out with friends at Sammy's. They never miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow kitchenamdew717Dined on 5/2/2014Went here before the symphony. Had a 6:30 reservation and an 8:00 concert; food didn't arrive until 7:30. We worried if we were going to be late for the concert. Food was very good, waitress was overwhelmed but very nice and did her best to expedite our meal. When she came to take our drink order, she insisted on taking our WHOLE order, which was fine with us. At that point, I knew it might be a bumpy ride, but it all came out fine. I would go here again but for a 6:00 reservation instead. Btw, the dining room was empty when we were leaving at 7:50, and it was a Friday night! It was also VERY WARM in the dining room. This was on the upper level, it may have been more comfortable on the lower level, but it felt warm down there as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too packed.JenniferDined on 4/25/2014Made reservations 2 weeks in advance for a Friday dinner. When we arrived, it took a while for anyone to acknowledge us. We were directed to a table placed in the middle of a very busy section; it seemed as if the table was not usually there, as it interfered with what appeared to be a main thoroughfare. We kept getting bumped into, which was a bit uncomfortable. The table was clearly an outdoor table moved inside and you could feel the gaps of the wrought iron through the tablecloth. They were out of gnocchi, one of the few vegetarian dishes on the menu and part of why we came. Ordered veg lasagna instead and got a meat dish! It was replaced and we were compensated for the mix-up. The food was good; maybe another day would be better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/24/2014The service was poor. There was no bread...had to ask three times. The food was fine
- Closed on Easter Sunday EveningmpolizziVIPDined on 4/20/2014Even though Open Table reservations were available for the time I requested, when we got to the restaurant, it was closed. Very disappointed. We really enjoy sitting the bar with a great meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb special is outstandingEdwardVIPDined on 4/13/2014Went to Sammy's for dinner and the special was a roast lamb with rissuto. Outstanding! If you like lamb, this is it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner after SymphonyLindaDined on 4/13/2014We love that there are the regular menu items and often a special we like. Loved the vegetarian lasagna and gnocchi! It's walkable from the Meyerhoff, so we love to do that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sammy's is Good EnoughSallyAnnVIPDined on 4/12/2014We came here prior to attendance at the symphony. The staff was very nice and accommodating but the food was very slow coming out of the kitchen. It was also uneven in taste. My husband ordered the scampi appetizer which was so spicy, he couldn't eat much of it. There was no mention of spice on the menu and the wait person said that the chef may have been too liberal with the pepper flakes.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Friends introduced this place to us. It is always good, delicious! They are flexible, will do family portions. Everything is homemade. We look forward to going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With the closing of Mari Luna,AnonymousVIPDined on 3/28/2014With the closing of Mari Luna, Sammy's is now the closest restaurant to the Meyerhoff. I think the staff realizes this, as they managed to handle to rush of customers adequately on a symphony-packed evening, which of course has a fixed-time component. I'm not sure that the management realizes that, however, as more servers (and perhaps cooks?) would have made things much smoother on the evening we dined there, and therefore the meal would have felt more special. As it was, it was just "good" and convenient. And maybe that is enough.
- Great place for pre-theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2014Food was fabulous at this corner restaurant near Penn Station and the Lyric Theater. We came up by train from DC and were seated promptly at 7:00. The place was very busy with diners going to the show like we were. Unfortunately, although we put our order in promptly (at our server's urging) our food didn't arrive until 7:50. That made us 25 minutes late for the show, Highly recommend arriving at 6:30 or earlier for an 8PM show. Otherwise, food was excellent and the wine list included many value-priced wines.Special Features:
- wish I could say moremegamamaDined on 3/26/2014On a Wednesday evening with a 6:30 reservation, we, five were seated promptly and warmly greeted. The food was delicious, but my chief complaint was the length of time for meal service. Our orders were placed by 7:00 and not received until 8:15! Our waitress was apologetic and tossed in some extra meatballs, but that did not make up for inordinate wait. I'd like to return for the food but I'm not sure as others have made similar complaints.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner before the LyricAnniversaryDined on 3/26/2014Food was wonderful! Our waiter was excellent. The Tiramisu was the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughLuv2TryNewThingsDined on 3/22/2014Never knew this place was there! Great authentic Italian restaurant located in the heart of Baltimore's art deco district. Very upscale and classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.