Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare
1515 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sammysatplayhousesquare.com/
- Phone: 2166218898
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 4:00pm (bar), 5-9:30pm Dinner
Friday - Saturday 4:00pm (bar), 5-10:30pm Dinner
Monday - open pending theatre performances
Happy Hour - Tues-Thurs 4:00-6:00pm (Bar & Salon areas only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare
Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare is located at 1515 Euclid Avenue under the Ohio Theatre marquee. The completely redesigned space features modern accents playing off of the historic lobby architecture. The contemporary American menu offers local, seasonal, and sustainable items, and classic Sammy's in the Flats dishes with a twist. Perfect for pre- and post-theater and any special occasion dining in the heart of the Theater District, Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare is open for dinner seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sammy's at PlayhouseSquare reviews from OpenTable diners
- Tasty and spicyDiner1Dined on 8/3/2013the salmon dish was spiced with a Mediterranean or Middle-eastern flair; well garnished and nice presentation; our waitress was solicitous and welcoming. Also the hostess greeted us warmly and followed up with us as we left for the Playhouse. Good expereinceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013The food was good and about the right portion. The access to the theater is the big plus for the restaurant. It is very noisy however and very difficult to hold a conversation. all in all, because of the access to the theater, we would return to the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the salmon with couscous,FrequentDinerDined on 7/27/2013I had the salmon with couscous, and the fish was almost completely dry from overcooking. Given that it was served fairly soon after we ordered it, it suggests that it was already done. It was just barely warm. Since we had theatre tickets and not a lot of time, I didn't complain about it because I didn't want to miss any of our play.
- Tasted like Airline FoodAkronDined on 7/27/2013Great location (right next to the theater) but the food was not very good at all. Very plain. Servicer was nice but slow also. Won't be going back.
- Convienient, food was goodoncenawileDined on 7/26/2013Convienient, food was good but expected better for the type of resteraunt and price. Service was excellent but our water glasses went empty. Chairs were uncomfortable and we could have used a little more room but space is at a premium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable night in ClevelandFoscreekDined on 7/25/2013We will remember this special evening and great dinner while participating in the National Senior Games! Sammy's was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niteoutlvaniteoutDined on 7/24/2013Early reservation before play, seated immediatedly and prompt and excellent service. Food came very promptly, presented very nicely and tasted very good. Enjoyed a relaxing dinner with friends and plenty of time before play. Nice to park in one spot also and enjoy dinner then the play without any time worries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's newJohnzVIPDined on 7/23/2013Decor and layout nice. Food so-so. Service good. Assume it will improve over time.
- PoorWindowDined on 7/20/2013The server was not bad. The food was poor. I had the beef short ribs and they were over done i.e, tough. My potatoes were burnt. My wife had a ceaser salad with corn bread croutons that were soft vs crunchy. The staff seemed disoriented. Needs more work before I go back.
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2013I probably should not have been surprised. Checked on Yelp prior to making reservation. I was looking for places close to Playhouse Square. Had an early reservation since I had tickets for a show starting at 7:30. The Yelp reviews were not very good and on the spot. For an organization that has been around awhile and does lots of catering, that have a reputation of good food. What we had was at best mediocre, and each of use in a party of 6 had something different. The price was fair (fixed price for appetizer, entry and desert - $28) and they did get us out on time. Too bad the food was not up to what I would expect. Cleveland has become a great food town and they need to keep up.
- We dined at Sammy's priorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013We dined at Sammy's prior to attending the "Lion King" at the State Theater. The meal was delicious and the service was terrific. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurabtOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2013Sammy's was an excellent choice before a play for Suinday afternoon brunch. The food was good and the service prompt and friendly. Nice atmosphere. It was a bit frustrating that its advertised on Open Table then does not qualify for Open Table points. This was only realized post inviting friends. I think if it is on open table then it should qualify for the open table points.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but a bit priceyMighthDined on 7/6/2013Not much of a selection-no hostess was around to seet us-had to ask the bartender! Service poor.Special Features:
- Parking at Playhouse Square/Foodlove2wineanddineDined on 7/6/2013We chose Sammy's because of the good location (next to Playhouse Square). Unfortunately, when we got to the restaurant, they informed us that they were not reducing valet pricing, outside. We had chosen the restaurant because of it's proximity and the fact that they were reducing the parking price. After our meal, in which we spent a few hundred dollars, the manager still would not comp the price of the parking. Just be warned that you will be paying full price for your valet parking, even though the Open Table email says you get it cheaper, and even though the Sammy's website states it is.
- Sad to say, Sammy's was aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2013Sad to say, Sammy's was a disappointment. Most of the food was just okay. We were there for a Saturday before theatre reservation at 5:15pm & they were already out of their signature dessert, the boule de neige. We ordered 2 tarts with summer berries. The crusts were limp. The noise level was great since we were almost the only people in the restaurant. It is convenient to the theatres but hope they pay more attention to their food. I am sad because I have always thought Sammy's had excellent food.
- The service was great...veryElderDined on 7/3/2013The service was great...very attentive..very friendly...seemed interested in us and our needs.. The Caesar salad was bland and we could not tell if there was any dressing on it and the cornbread croutons were soggy. The walleye (which I looked forward to) looked skimpy and almost like part of the piece was missing...it was seasoned well. For the price, I expected more. I would not recommend this restaurant, except if eating in the theater complex was important to you.
- Before the showNinoDined on 7/1/2013Sammy's at PH was a bit disappointing. The service and speed were good but, the food was just average. I know the goal is to get show goers in and out fast for the show but our recent experience was a bit too fast and food for the price was just OK nothing special like you would expect from a Sammy's operation.
- timing was offtimingDined on 7/1/2013Food was pretty decent. Timing was again off, though. Really rushed through dinner and dessert (because we did the special 3-course, otherwise we would have skipped that since there wasn't much time).
- Pre Show DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2013We met friends there for dinner prior to seeing a Playhouse Square Show. The service was great and the food was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sammy's just so-so ...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2013Our first visit to the new Sammy's was just so-so. Very limited menu, substitutions were discouraged and kitchen ran out of a few things (including bread ... really?!) that evening. Wait staff was great considering the messages they were forced to deliver to hungry patrons. Not the best impression for a first visit to their new venture at Playhouse Square. Would consider trying again at some point, but not for awhile.
- Before the showShowfanDined on 6/30/2013Eating at Sammy's before a playhouse square show is a great combination. The convenience can't be beat, the service was spot on and the food great.Special Features:
- Sammy"s food is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2013However...no ambience at all! Service was fair...we were made to feel rushed after we finished our meal.Special Features:
- Not so goodPnchomeDined on 6/28/2013The interior seems even smaller then when the place was Stars. It was crowded and I felt like I was on top of the people dining next to me. The food was awful and overpriced. I've had much better food for far less money. My steak was undercooked and flavorless. The antipasta plate was a joke. The menu selection is way to small. The only good thing was the cuyahoga gimlet. Props to the bartender. But we will not be dining there again.
- Management has changed anddinersVIPDined on 6/27/2013Management has changed and so has the chef. We have been to Sammy's a number of times since it opened at Playhouse Square and have previously been very pleased with the food and service. The menu is more limited now. Our entrees were served literally two minutes after our salads arrived at our table. We sent them back so that we could eat our salads. The entrees arrived back at our table about ten minutes later and we suspect they were sitting under a heat lamp during that time. We still were only halfway through our salad course. Very bad timing. And no apologies or reasons for hurrying us through our meal. We will try Sammy's again and hopefully they will have their act together, but if not, we won't be back after that.
- Great location but........LapoodelaDined on 6/26/2013Great location when going to a play at Playhouse Sq. Wait staff seem to be a bit unorganized in their rush to get people out of there in time for the play. The food was ok but not great. We ordered the pris fix dinner which was moderately priced @$28/person.
- Long time lagLovinclevelandDined on 6/26/2013This was our only bad experience with Sammy's, but disappointing. It took almost 45 minutes for us to get the entree, the food was partially cool and our out of town guests not impressed. We had to forgo the included dessert to be able to make the play opening. Sammy's was very apologetic, and adjusted our bill accordingly, but nonetheless, the restaurant needs to do better on play night. We'll try again.
- The food was creative andWwppDined on 6/26/2013The food was creative and very tasty. The prix fixe option is a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sammy'sMandyDined on 6/25/2013Service was excellent, waitress Lydia. Beet salad great, shrimp cocktail fair, salmon good, drinks good, creme brûlée & lemon sorbet good. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THIS WAS MY THIRD TIME ATOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2013THIS WAS MY THIRD TIME AT SAMMYS. FOOD AND SERVICE WAS GREAT. THE NOISE OF THE CUSTOMERS IS REALLY HIGH. ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THAT THEY RAN OUT OF DESSERTS. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BREAD PUDDING. WILL RETURN WHEN WE GO TO THE NEXT BROADWAY SHOW. THANK YOU C. NARDII would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining TreatGabbiDined on 6/23/2013Our recent experience at Sammy's didn't disappoint....we truly had a very enjoyable meal from start to finish. My husband and I had tickets to the theater and decided to have dinner at a nearby restaurant. The food was delicious from the soup through the main course to the scrumptious chocolate torte for dessert. I had the boneless short ribs with polenta and my husband had the salmon. Everything was cooked to perfection, even the spinach and the polenta was the best I had ever eaten. The dessert was like going to chocolate heaven. The service was top notch...couldn't expect anything more. We truly enjoyed our entire experience there and hope to be back another time when we are in Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing specialynotDined on 6/22/2013We ordered 3 course meal. Mine was a salad, Mushroom Ravioli and Chocolate Torte. My date, Sweet Potato Vichyssoise, Chicken Breast with Couscous and Crume Brulee. We shared our meals. My salad was a green salad with few radishes and nondescript sweet dressing. The greens could have come out of a bag. Mushroom Ravioli was good,but, the Marinara Sauce was watery and could have come out of a can. No real taste. The Chocolate Torte was a frosted chocolate cake. May have come out of a box. Definitely did not have the density or taste I would have expected of a torte. The Vichyssoise was good, tasty with a bit of a bite and a cold temp. Chicken Breast and Couscous was good, had just a small bite of that. Creme Brulee was good
- Sammy's a Hot Dining experienceCJMDDined on 6/21/2013the restaurant was full and it was HOT!. There were no ceiling fans and we were told they do not have air conditioning, which I find hard to believe as I do not recall Stars being so hot. It was dark, I was told they would bring a candle for the table-never happened Server was inattentive. My husband asked for a glass of ice 4 times, it came with his entrée I asked for olive oil instead of butter, it came after the bread was gone and after the appetizer. Menu is limited. Braised short ribs tasted like pulled beef, not tender and the spinach looked like it came from the bag and a handful was just put on my plate.
- It's a great place for eatingelmeDined on 6/19/2013It's a great place for eating before a performance at Playhouse Square. The staff is eager to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2013The service was slow. It did not appear to be the waiter's fault. He had too many tables to serve and the food was slow coming out from the kitchen. We like the atmosphere but want to see improvement in the overall service. It is a great location for dinner before a show at Playhouse Square. We will give it another try.
- The fixed price 3 course dinnerDowntownregularsDined on 6/14/2013The fixed price 3 course dinner was an exceptional value. We will return again when we have show tickets.Special Features:
- Disappointeddinodino953Dined on 6/11/2013Although I felt the server was extremely good and the food quality fair to good. I found that the portions to be very small. The martini my wife had was so small it could of fit in a shot glass. My Marker's Mark was also a light pour and charged at about $11 and $10 respectfully. Sammy's is not showing very much value for the pricing. Our entire check for two was $108 and I left a $22 tip. Cowell and Hubbard down the block was full that evening and Sammy's had only 5 or 6 tables. We have never had a bad experience or a value problem with C&W. Larry
- Great food. Had the FiletChristyLDined on 6/8/2013Great food. Had the Filet 3-course dinner and my friend had the pork chop. Both were excellent. Dessert was also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2013We enjoyed our meal after a recent play at Playhouse Square. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not return2sloweatersDined on 5/24/2013The food was very poor. The prices are high. Same as the first time we tried it. STARs was always packed. The place was quiet because it was only 1/4th full, if that. This tells the story.
- Mother's day dinnerloncherie99Dined on 5/12/2013I took my mother here for dinner on Sunday May 12, 2013. I chose this restaurant over the others because the service over the phone won me over. I was not disappointed! The service was wonderful, everyone was friendly and inviting. Our waiter, Leon, was very patient with us and accommodating with my sleeping 4 year-old daughter. I ordered the veal after multiple recommendations by our waiter. My previous experiences with veal were horrible! However, the veal at this restaurant was superb! My mother ordered the salmon and loved it! However, I thought the salmon was under-seasoned. The pound cake was not that great either, but the Cheesecake was great (not dry, like other restaurants). Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.