20 West 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sambucanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127875656x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:45pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 4:45pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Enrique Iturralde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-premise catering
- Private Party Facilities: Ideally located on the UWS, steps away from Central Park. Sambuca offers traditional Southern Italian cuisine served family style. We can accomodate groups from 15 to 240 guests. Private Room and entire restaurant availability.
Great food and excellent service in a warm and welcoming enviroment!
- Private Party Contact: Allie McCaw 2127875656x
A word from Sambuca
At Sambuca, we serve Southern Italian Food the old fashioned way -“Family Style”. Our generous portions are served on platters so everyone can share in the delicious fun. The wonderful aromas and mouth watering flavors will remind you of what Italian food is all about. So when you are thinking of a place go for dinner with 1,2 or 200 of your friends, family or business associates, think of Sambuca! Come and join us at Sambuca and let "Our family serve your family"!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sambuca reviews from OpenTable diners
- I have never had every courseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/30/2013I have never had every course done as badly as this meal was and that goes for my two other guests. I was so embarrassed for bringing others there with me The clams appetizer had so much sand in them and were so over done. The salad was a drenched mess and the pasta was so completely over done and my guests pasta sauce was cheap out of the bottle. We didn't get coffee or desert and we're lucky if our waiter dropped by to see if we were okay.
- Glluten free menuOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/29/2013I was going to recommend this restaurant to a friend who needs gluten free. However as we were leaving. met the owner who advised us the restaurant is closing for renovations for three months. Too bad. Food really good, prices reasonable service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted a place that hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2013We wanted a place that had family style as we had a party of 8. The food was delicious! Was disappointed that restaurant was closing soon and reopening under a different name as we would have loved to eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It;s a shame there closing..greatdonnyVIPDined on 12/26/2013It;s a shame there closing..great for family diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went to Sambuca with mycarlanakaDined on 12/24/2013I went to Sambuca with my brother and my sister in law on December, 25th, 2013. Everything was great. The hostess, the food, the service and the price was reasonable! I really recommend this restaurant. Hope they open it again soon!Special Features:
- Consistent. Able to accommodateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2013Consistent. Able to accommodate a larger group who enjoy family style dining. Not too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So very sadeatswellVIPDined on 12/23/2013That this solid and fine family-friendly restaurant will close at year's end. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner there, our annual family Christmas event (30-50 family members) for three years, and I've hosted some large business dinners here. Sambuca has always provided great food served family style and fine, non-intrusive service. The closing of this restaurant is a real loss to the UWS and NYC.Special Features:
- Small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/22/2013Portions were smaller than I remembered for family style dining.
- Never Again!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/21/2013We had a big group and I wanted to reserve so, I thought we'd try this place again. It had been years. Bad service, Bad food, and unbelievably loud. Give me Carmines with their over-salted food any day. At least it has some taste!! And the waiters are friendly and efficient! This place was truly disappointing in every way.
- Xmas dinnervallyDined on 12/20/2013My friends and I chose this spot for its great ambiance. Food was ok but we really like the decor and spacios dining area. Music played in the backgound and conversations were moderate. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Move alongKittyChowDined on 12/8/2013Not worth your money. Try something else. Unimpressed. The best compliment I can give is that they serve big portions.
- Caesar SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013Caesar Salad had little or NO dressing. I expected nice home made croutons instead of store bought from a bag . A restaurant of this caliper should have their waiter staff wearing blue jeans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent ! TheyPatschickDined on 12/7/2013Food was excellent ! They gave enough food to share with everyone. Their homemade sangria was delicious! I would definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service not so muchFamilystyleDined on 12/7/2013We had a good sized group for dinner and wanted to do family style. We usually do Carmine's but they were unavailable. Had been to sambuca a couple times so thought it would be fine. The food was fantastic but the service was lacking. Did not feel particularly welcome or attended to during our stay. We had two small kids who seemed to be a nuisance to the staff.Special Features:
- Good food and nice ambience.ladiesniteDined on 12/6/2013Good food and nice ambience. Our group took a little bit of time to decide on our meals which I feel irritated the waiter a bit. He came over to our table three or four times and each time looked a little annoyed when we said we were still deciding. Other than that, it was a great evening in a beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemcdravi10748Dined on 12/1/2013We went there for the first time and were surprised how nice the experience was.It was so quiet at our table.rare at NYC restaurants .we liked the idea of either ordering individual or family size portions.Orice was also reasonable .We will e back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seemed to be a bit short handedWarrenVIPDined on 11/30/2013seemed to be a bit short handed Saturday night. We seemed to always be missing things and no one was around. Like forks, a plate for shells and water. Things that should have been served without asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a little disappointingSambucaDined on 11/30/2013The garlic shrimp seemed like precooked chilled shrimp that did not even get into the garlic/butter sauce...they were dry on the outside; the garlic/butter sauce was over the pasta and then these shrimp were place on top :(((. The gluten free ravioli tasted good but served in a bowl swimming in a tomato sauce; the sauce was okay but way too much. We ordered a side of broccoli with garlic and olive oil that was perfectly done, bright green yet tender enough to eat.
- Working hard but room to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/30/2013The decor here is clean, neat and spare but not particularly welcoming; that is a choice that may work for others. The staff for the most part is welcoming. The food is better-than-average Italian fare at reasonable (for NYC) prices. Our waitress was endearing and diligent. Our primary complaint was with a bus boy who was so fast and careless with his work that he threw things onto the table and, ultimately, poured water and ice among and onto the dishes. Having already turned away in his haste, he didn't even see the damage. Management was suitably apologetic but a little training here would help. Another issue was the cacophonous noise level which made conversation difficult. I can recommend Sambuca only with these caveats.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotEH751Dined on 11/29/2013Enjoyed great food, service and friendly atmosphere at this local spot. Word is it's been bought and will soon be renovated and the menu changed. Will have to return to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find by chancePeteDined on 11/29/2013Looked for a restaurant near AMNH (museum) and found Sambuca, took a chance and made a reservation. Found Sambuca very accommodating after a long day. From the Hostess greeting to the wait staff, very friendly towards families coming in and also adult groups coming in for dinner. The food is very good , chicken picatta, veal marsala, and shrimp dishes everyone said were excellent. The pasta was done aldente and the ravioli was told it was excellent. For myself had a good selection of wines and a bar for cocktails. After dinner, a good selection of desserts and after dinner cordials. I would not hesitate at all to recommend Sambuca to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013really enjoyed our dinner on thanksgiving...it was delicious...we dine here when my parents come in from ohio and have always been pleased with the meals and the service, we knew this is where we would enjoy a great holiday meal...keep up the great work...always recommend your placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not Family ItalianrickerDined on 11/27/2013It was not what I was looking for in a family style Restaurant. The music was a bit too loud and not "family mood" music. The salads were very good and plentiful. We had Calamari as an appetizer, which was also very good. The main dishes fell short of our expectations. They were standard Italian fair but was spiced differently and less impressive- we ordered had the chicken Milanase, veal masala, salmon and chicken Sambuca....all were just fair. The price was moderate so appropriate but hoping for more.Special Features:
- ConsistentCheryleDined on 11/23/2013The food and service is consistently excellent from the moment you walk in the door.Special Features:
- Great for Special GuestsDonSDined on 11/19/2013Had a work function there, it was fantastic. Food was incredible and they took great care of usSpecial Features:
- A NYC Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2013We've always loved Sambuca for the excellent food, service, and hospitality, and the reasonable prices...on this visit we were saddened to hear that the restaurant will be closing at the end of 2013...we will miss it greatly :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2013Always good. Popular with large groups because you can order individual or family size meals. Great location. Comfortable ambiance -- khakis or suits equally welcome. On last visit our waiter was particularly helpful and patient. Great menu and food always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the Best!Foodie4LifeDined on 11/10/2013I've been going to Sambuca for years and it is a "comfort zone" if you want good food, good service and enjoyable and friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!PattiDined on 11/1/2013My experience was fabulous. great food, fabulous service as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gluten free eating1healthyeaterDined on 10/26/2013My daughter and I are gluten free. This restaurant had gluten free bread, pasta and amazing brownie desert! We were very excited-it was all relish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCru01Dined on 10/19/2013The food and service is excellent. Elegantly decorated and inviting.Special Features:
- VERY Bad birthday experience!!!KaraDined on 10/16/2013My boyfriend and I found this place through a gluten free app and since it was my birthday-I was thrilled.The service the worst ever.Our server took an unapologetically long time to arrive at our table was wearing blue jeans and even still exceptionally rude after being told it was my birthday.He recommended the home made GFree ravioli which arrived cold and inedible.Upon asking to have something else to eat the server said "What?You have never had ravioli before?"He also threw the replacement,a watery and tasteless bolognese,in front of me(as my substitution),which I didn't eat and no one asked how it was.We paid our bill and went down the street to Papparedella which was AMAZING and I highly recommend!More options, great food and service!
- Forgettable and mediocreWarbler55VIPDined on 10/11/2013Our food wasn't anything great and the waiter was unhelpful.
- An off nightKathDined on 10/5/2013We've been here several times before and truly enjoyed the experience. Saturday night was an off night I hope. We were put in the back room where a party in the private room had spilled over into the dining room, and several young out-of-control children were part of that spillover. Thankfully, that didn't last long. Another large party was in the back dining area also. Once that party left, we were mostly forgotten about. We had to ask a busboy for our check. And...the lights were turned off while we were all sitting at our table eating our dessert! This was at 9:15 p.m. Just not a good experience. We won't be back any time soon.Special Features:
- Great food , great time!GaryDined on 9/30/2013First time at Sambuca's We were very impressed! The food was great! I would go again. Our waiter was Eddie, friendly and very helpful with explaining the choice of dinners. Right across from the Dakota Hotel , beautiful. Terramasu is awesome!Special Features:
- Sambuca is a decent restaurant.nycmommaVIPDined on 9/28/2013Sambuca is a decent restaurant. Nice to have a gluten free menu. I find the food good and reliable but nothing amazing. The renovation is great and the bar area with high tables makes for a nice place to dine. I found the eggplant parm fine but not flavorful enough. Overall, a good family friendly restaurant that is not too pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I tried Sambuca!GuyFromTODined on 9/22/2013When I travel to NYC I always try new places, and this trip Sambuca was one of my new choices. It was very quiet at 6 PM on a Sunday night, and I wonder if it had something to do with all the construction on the street. The food was fantastic - it was nicely prepared and presented, and the quality was very good. The service was equally impressive and they were very accommodating about my gluten and dairy challenges. I noticed the traffic in the restaurant increased by the time I left, including a few birthday celebrations and I agree it would be a great place for a group get-together. I will definitely be going to Sambuca again!Special Features:
- Awful ExperiencegfnycgirlDined on 9/20/2013Our experience was awful. We had a late res & were ontime but we were called before to see if we were still coming. We sat down, server rudely told us the kitchen was closing in 10 mins so we had to order fast. App/Meal came out within 10 mins (1 min after eachother), plates werent cleared, we felt rushed, treated poorly, didnt get to enjoy our wine, we were overcharged, waitstaff wasnt consistent, the list goes on. My food wasnt good, the presentation was messy, & it tasted overcooked. Not a good experience at all! We picked this place because of the gf menu that we enjoyed the 1st time we dined at Sambuca but this time we were severely disappointed. The worst dining experience Ive ever had. Rude staff, overcooked & not good food! ect. ect
- Lovely Italian spotAficionado747Dined on 9/20/2013This was a great dinner for eight people. Excellent dinner, reasonable prices, outstanding service. The noise level was moderate even with a large number of people around us. Will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Minimal GlutenRichTheRaverDined on 9/15/2013Great choice, but much of the gluten-free options were unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.