530 Texas St.
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
South AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sambagrillehouston.com/
- Phone: 7133431180
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, South American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Guerrero
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Samba Grille offers parties of up to 18 in an exquisite private dining area with all the amenities for a business meeting to a rehearsal dinner. We can also accommodate a semi private party with up to 35 guests on our platform area.
- Private Party Contact: Greyson Lewis 7133431180
- Entertainment: Live music with Lois Albez every Thursday from 6pm - 9pm.
- Special Events: Valentines Day is Almost here! Your significant other only deserves the best, why not enchant them with an awesome three course meal prepared by the critically acclaimed chef David Guerrero. Prime steaks, fresh seafood, and an award winning wine list at an incomparable value, can't get any better than that!
A word from Samba Grille
Samba Grille presents our contemporary take on the cuisine of South America. Everything from prime steaks, fresh seafood, to fresh locally grown vegetables, all woven together to create one of the most unique menus in Houston. All of this is delivered in an elegant and visually exciting environment while being taken care of by the well-trained and accommodating staff. In a hurry at lunch? Samba has you covered. Our three course prix-fixe menu was designed specifically to allow you to enjoy a delicious lunch and still make it back to the office on schedule while experiencing a fantastic meal accompanied by five star service. And if you're after a more casual lunch, you can choose from our selection of tempting gourmet sandwiches, all served on artisan bread and featuring the same careful execution as our entrees. Burger fans will want to experience our decadent Samba Grille Burger, made from the same superb beef as our center-cutContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Samba Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- Don't Even BotherSeriousDined on 7/21/2012Portions are minimal. The Lobster Corn Bisque was tasteless. The Lobster Salad was nothing more than a few chunks of lobster on salad greens even though it was described as much more. I would not recommend this restaurant and I doubt it will last. The only thing this restaurant has going for it is pleasant atmosphere and attentive wait staff.
- The food was good, nothingluv2dineDined on 7/21/2012The food was good, nothing great. Service was slow. If your going to eat here before you go to the theater, give yourself plenty of time.
- The food was good (not great)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2012The food was good (not great) once it finally arrived, which took a long time. The only vegetable on the menu is asparagus, and it came out over-grilled. Service was less than attentive. They require an email address to get a receipt, since they don't print one. On the whole, OK, but no reason to return.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2012Really bad waiter/service. They were out of several of their main menu items ( on a Saturday evening)!
- Unfortunately what startedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012Unfortunately what started as a very nice experience with good attention ended up in some disapointment. We ordered pork which was listed in the menu as suckling pork including chicharron. I am not sure the pork was that young but the chicharrones did not come with it. As the place became bussier the service slowed down. Having had planned for 2 hours for dinner before going to the theater had to leave the cofee on the table and rush out.
- We went to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012We went to the restaurant early, and it was not crowded. We valet parked the car. We came back to get the car at ~11:45, and the area was really crowded. When we ate (6:00 pm), the service was great, and the food was very good. I had a steak, which I thought was really great. My wife had seafood, and she thought is was only good, so I put the taste down inbetween.Special Features:
- We had a very nice dinnerLGonWSDined on 7/14/2012We had a very nice dinner at Samba Grille and our server, Charlie was excellent. He was very attentive and helpful in that he explained a few of the South American items on the menu when we asked. He knew his stuff! He understood our time constraints due to having theatre tickets. This was our first time there and we were a bit surprised at the small size of the restaurant. So small, in fact, that our table was in the bar area. Not a big deal, just not what we expected. Also the chairs were not very comfortable! Due to its location, the food itself, and the service, we will keep Samba Grille on our list of dining options when in the theatre district!
- I've had much better steak,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2012I've had much better steak, but the arepas, sea bass, and the dessert with goat cheese were wonderful.Special Features:
- Menu is limited but very accomidatiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2012Menu is limited but very accomidating to adjustments for restrictive diet.Special Features:
- Had a great time for our anniversarOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2012Had a great time for our anniversary, great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Loved it! Great for preSundancehungrymeVIPDined on 7/7/2012Loved it! Great for preSundance Theater dinners, or any pre theater dinner downtown...Special Features:
- Good Service & wine!CarmenDined on 7/7/2012This was our Anniversary night out and was impressed with the service & the wine selection! Didn't feel rushed. The food was overpriced and we were glad we had a 1/2 price coupon. The appetizer was different than the norm & good but the entre's didn't impress either of us. The atmosphere was not as intimate as I expected for a romantic night out. The lighting & music was soft but the table we had was only for 2 and it was bar height and large-difficult to carry on quiet conversation. When we asked about another table they said there was no other table available-although 1/2 the tables were empty. Waiting for a rush, no doubt. This might be a great place to meet for drinks-business or social-that's all we'd consider in the future.Special Features:
- OrdinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/23/2012Ceasar salad was good. My husband liked his Octopus appetizer. Paella was ordinary and over priced for what is served. It was mostly rice with 2 shrimp and small piece of fish. Nice atmosphere but could use music to liven it up. Hefty $7 self parking fee or $9 valet fee. Nice wine selection that is not over priced.
- Very much enjoyed our visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2012Very much enjoyed our visit. The food was delicious and the service was great. Will definitely return. Make sure to save room for the Tres Leches dessert, AMAZING!!Special Features:
- Reality Check !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2012We arrived during a busy period and an after being shown to our table we waited for over 10 mins before grabbing the attention of a passing waiter, another 10 mins passed before water and bread arrived and then when we ordered we discovered the scallops had run out the night before ! it was already a limited menu. The meal was saved by the polite manners of the waiter and the quality of our food, ourmain course finally arrived after an hour ! I wouldn't rush back to this place again !
- Went before a concert @ Toyotaluv2dineVIPDined on 6/16/2012Went before a concert @ Toyota Center, conveniently the restaurant is just across the way. Very friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff, but as it got busy everything came to a skreeching halt. Our poor waitress's tables were scattered all over the restaurant so she had a difficult time keeping up. To her credit, she did her best to check up with us but found that the kitchen was not able to keep up with her orders. Overall, the food was fair, meat was overcooked, but the flavors were good. Excellent Sangria!!! We might return, if we can be gauranteed the same waitress!Special Features:
- I would not return here forBirthdaybunchVIPDined on 6/16/2012I would not return here for dinner. Service was very slow and food was cold. Best part of evening was pineapple martini. Quality of food was poor.
- We have been to Samba GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012We have been to Samba Grille before but this was a particularly poor experience. The food was, on the whole, above average with great great pork belly and excellent arepas but sub-par tuna salad and ceviche, both suffering from nondescript seafood. The service was, generally, terrible. Aside from the usual tendency of Houston waitstaff to cutoff all conversation at will (and often), we had to defend our plates and bread and olive oil multiple times (before we had finished) and had to explain (mid-meal) that we are not yet ready to think about desert. Worst of all, our bill had an overcharge of over $30 for our bottle of wine (mistakenly charging us for a wine that wasn't even on the menu!) which, luckily, we caught. Overall, disappoin
- Our new favorite for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2012Our new favorite for pre-theatre dining. Interesting and well-produced menu selections, with very nice wine list.Special Features:
- This was a disappointing trip.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2012This was a disappointing trip. Terrible service, and Several dishes that were below par, including both of our entrees. They should have not been sent out to our table. Had to flag down servers a couple of times as well for basic requests.
- Poor choice--will never go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2012Overrated, overpriced & utterly underwhelming. Took forever to get our entrees. Waiter not attentive. We were in a hurry to leave to get to the theatre on time, so my husband missed a big mistake: we were charged for 2 bottles of wine, not 2 glasses. Went back afterward & got it corrected. Waiting for credit card bill to come to make sure correct charge is reflected. Don't intend to go back---far too many good restaurants in Houston to make same mistake twice.
- Unpleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012Disappointing! An unpleasant experience. Our party of 6 arrived at 6:20 and clearly stated we had theater tickets for an 8:00 show. Cocktails/wine were good and we ordered fairly promptly. The food never came! We reminded our waiter several times and asked that the main course and appetizers to be served at the same time. At 7:30 the appetizers - one crab cake and one soup arrived. We reminded again. At 7:40 two main course salads appeared. As we were getting ready to leave at 7:45 the other main courses arrived. The scallops were terrible - tasted burnt. The Lobster Salads were miniscule. The pork was average. We will never come back.
- A little wine-snobiness here.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2012A little wine-snobiness here. Not enough by-the-glass selections.
- Delicious food but over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Delicious food but over priced for what is served and portions.Ordered a second drink when the main course was served. The second drink never arrived. Commented to waiter and he replied that other clients were also waiting on their drinks. We will not return to this restaurant.
- Thoughtful well balanced food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2012Thoughtful well balanced food. Ordered a bunch of small plates as pre theater meal. Food was excellent - very well balanced - excellent mix of flavors. Comparing to Latin Bites - the food is less crazily creative but more consistent and balanced - both do excellent Peruvian influenced food. Service was very efficient - easily made our theater time but did not feel rushed or the need to rush our waiter. He intelligently put two different orders of each of our small plates on single larger plates - which was convenient and looked great (dish presentation is excellent). Will be back and not just for pretheater.Special Features:
- This is the best place weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2012This is the best place we know of for dinner before a show in the theatre district. However, the prices are high and the portions are small. For example, the Sweet and Spicy Scallops are $23 and the portion is 3 scallops. They were delicious, though! It is supposed to include watercress salad, but it was really a garnish- 3 sprigs of watercress. I think I will go for the steak next time so I will get full for my $. I was happy to be seated in a semi-circular booth, but disappointed when I saw the condition of the upholstery of the seat. It was torn and peeled away. Not in keeping with the upscale ambience.Special Features:
- Great choice for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2012Great choice for pre-theatre dining. Prompt and attentive service, interesting menu selections, and nice wine list. Much better than other options in the theatre district.Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012I had the Ecuadorean sea bass and my husband had the sweet-n-spicy scallops, and we both loved our choices (great blend of flavors and beautifully presented), although I thought the scallop portion was small. My husband's Solterito salad was flavorful and lightly dressed. We shared the chocolate cake with mango mousse for dessert--yum! Since we were on our way to a show, we didn't want much alcohol, and the red sangria was just right, refreshing and not too sweet. As good as the food was, the best thing about this restaurant is the friendly and attentive service. I think we've found a new favorite spot. P.S. Reservations recommended if you wish to dine pre-theater. We tried Samba once previously without a reservation and couldn't get in.Special Features:
- Very expensive ($125 plusOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012Very expensive ($125 plus for two with wine), but always delivers! Makes a great date night combination with any of the downtown theaters. Steaks are always incredible, wine list extensive with very knowledgeable staff. Quiet if you get there early in the evening or after the theaters start their evening shows. If you have a 7:30p or 8:00p theater show time, then get there by 6:00p or 6:15p. Parking is a snap at that time, enjoy a great dinner, and then walk to the theater.Special Features:
- Food fresh and estheticallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2012Food fresh and esthetically presented but lack the equivalent in flavor. Dishes did not match exact description. No mango in tuna salad. Plantain leaf is just a garnish. Scallops quinoa was blend. Missed the cheese puffs but the bread was good. Shrimp was forgotten and had to be served afterwards with the Ecuadorian seabass which was not a very good kind of fish. Tres leche cake was outstanding; good vanilla flavor.
- My husband and I went forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012My husband and I went for our first anniversary and it was the perfect place to celebrate. The atmosphere is romantic if that's what you want but not so much that it would be awkward any other time. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- Great happy hour before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2012My friend and I did the happy hour menu before a show at Jones Hall. It was very convenient to the show. We arrived at 5:30 pm with few other diners present but it steadily began to fill up. The food was excellent and well presented. We had four appetizers which was just enough food - fried shrimp, cerviche, plantain chips, and OMG the mini pork bellies! Delish! I ordered the drink of Brazil - Caipirinha, made of cane sugar rum and muddled lime. My friend ordered the citrus martini. Both were really good and perfectly proportioned with liquor. Service was pretty good, hostess was attentive. Would definitely come back and eat there before any show.Special Features:
- Our food was delicious butWeekenderDined on 5/18/2012Our food was delicious but be warned that prices are high and portions are small.Special Features:
- Skip the Sea BassDezzoVIPDined on 5/18/2012Sea bass was overcooked. They did offer to redo the order, but unfortunately the new order was cooked the same. They were generous enough to comp the seafood order. My companion ordered the lamb steak, the flavor was good, but was a bit tough. We also ordered the ceviche, nice flavors, hot chile bite at the end, yum!
- I love this place. I waschris5980Dined on 5/16/2012I love this place. I was there on a Tuesday for dinner. I was very disappointed that there was only one other table being served because I want this place to do well. The food is creative and well prepared. The yucca frites are awesome.Special Features:
- Food was very good. ServiceAlwaysVIPDined on 5/12/2012Food was very good. Service was competent. Overall, a very good restaurant.
- Very good food, and greatSelectiveDinerDined on 5/5/2012Very good food, and great service by Rogerio. Excellent place for pre-theatre dinner. But please fix the peeling seats in the banquettes; it is demeaning to the restaurant. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not a before "show" place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2012While the appetizers were very good, the service was slow. Unfortunately we had to cancel our dinner order to make it to the show. We had allowed plenty of time (almost 2 hours) - but they took so long we had to leave. To be clear - I made note in the OT reservation we were attending the show! Had they served our meal after removing the appetizers we would have still had plenty of time. They just dragged it out-even after asking about the food the waiter disappeared for over 5 minutes(he said the food was coming right then)then another 5 to 10 passed to. To the manager's credit, they did not argue about the cancelled meal and comp'd the last 2 glasses of wine (unfortunately the wine had to be gulped -it took so long for them to arrive)Special Features:
- Sadly the experience was poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/4/2012Sadly the experience was poor. We were hoping we could add this to places downtown that we frequent before the theater/opera. Our waiter brought the menus and then disappeared-finally another waitress took our order, another one brought our food. He finally showed up to ask if we wanted dessert. We said yes and he never brought the dessert menu. He finally brought the bill and charged us for someone's else's more expensive dinner. He disappeared again but the manager came by and saw that we had been charged for someone else's dinner. We never complained or made any demands so it is all baffling. Sigh. The location is good as was the food and wine; however, the overall experience was so poor, we won't be going again
- Very convenient for goingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Very convenient for going to an event in the theater district. A bit pricey.Special Features: