1210 E.Cary St.
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.sammillers.com/
- Phone: (804) 644-5465
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:30 - 11:00
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday 11:30 - 4:00
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 - 3:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Rhian Pryor
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We are proud to introduce our innovative gourmet Box Lunch and Box Dinner menus. Enjoy a wide array of lunch and dinner selections. Our menus are perfect for a day to day meal or an executive meeting. Our box lunches and dinners are hassle free and sure to impress any staff or client. Let us take care of you.
- Private Party Facilities: Our entire staff, from the front door to the kitchen, is dedicated to achieving the best possible reviews for you and your party. Because, after all, a party is a celebration and the food, the drink, the service, and the environment should contribute to that celebration.
- Private Party Contact: Lindsey Corbit 8042529104x
- Entertainment: Join us for Valentine's Day! Check out our website for our special menus.
- Cross Street: 23219
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Sam Miller's is happy to provide complimentary valet parking in the evenings. Drop your car off with the valets in front of the Tobacco Company and come in for dinner. During the day, there are many lots in the area with varying rates.
A word from Sam Miller's
Located in a 165 year old building in the heart of historic Shockoe Slip, Sam Miller's is on the National Registry of Historic Places, and has been featured in national publications including "Southern Living Magazine." In addition to fine seafood and "the best crab cakes in Richmond," we serve USDA Prime beef , creative pasta dishes, and salads to suit any tastes. Looking for something more casual? A small plates menu is available in our Oyster Bar featuring classic favorites and new lighter fare options. Whether you are looking for a fine dining facility to host your business dinner, or a casual place to meet friends for drinks, Sam Miller's has all the options to satisfy your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sam Miller's reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (13)romantic (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Don't eat hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Found this restaurant on the internet. Looked at the menu and pictures of food and dishes they provide. When I arrived and looked at the menu we asked the waitress for a specific dish that was one the internet menu. Was told that is a special dish that they only serve on special occasions. I asked for one other and was told the same story. We had ordered Oysters Rockfellow, they were nothing wonderful. Paid my bill and went to the Kitchen Restaurant down the street.
- QuietUltraMNDined on 10/27/2014I would return for the food. This overall area in Richmond appeared to be void of a lot of activity early in the week. Service could have been more upbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodrvadinerDined on 10/25/2014My fiance and I came here for Restaurant Week and I would say that overall everything was quite good. Our first course was the Seared Ahi and the Cream of Crab soup. The soup left something to be desired in my mind (although I am from Maryland and picky when it comes to anything crab related). The Ahi was amazing and very flavorful. For the second course, we had the Tenderloin with Lump Crab and the Lobster Gnocci. The tenderloin was adequate. It came with something that resembled a mushy crab cake and not lump crab meat. The Lobster Gnocci was phenomenal. I would recommend this to anyone. Our dessert course was the Creme Brule Cheesecake and the Key Lime Pie. Both were amazing and the highlight of the meal.Special Features:
- Good food and great servicefrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Even though the restaurant was very busy with Restaurant Week, out server was very attentive. Also, three other people came by and asked us how everything was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent chef!love2dineDined on 9/12/2014Chef Greg was excellent!!! He is the reason all my friends and family will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a disappointment..AVOID!!TheBaronessVIPDined on 9/11/2014First off they do not serve between lunch and dinner so they requested we wait a half an hour for our table eventhough on opentable it appears that they are full service all day...just the bar is open. Then the food was awful. The crab cake was full of shells and the oysters tasted old and they didn't do a mignonette sauce for them...the waited threw a ton of onions in a few drops of vinegar and that was the best they could do???? the crab soup was cold and really tasteless...not a great showing for a place that is suppose to be all about seafood.
- Great Groupon Dinnerkaramarie101Dined on 8/30/2014I bought an awesome Groupon for Sam Miller's and it was a great place for date night if you want to spend a little money. The spinach and artichoke dip was the bomb and the filet Oscar was delicious! I would go back, but it would be for a special occasion. Other than that to food was great and our waiter was very personal and informative.Special Features:
- DCTransplantVIPDined on 8/30/2014While the restaurant was overwhelmed with a party there should have been enough staff to attend to the other guests but sadly many were left to fend for themselves. It was the little things that were overlooked like silverware when the appetizers were brought out and refills on drinks. We had to wait so long for our dessert that we were offered a second one to go. I was curious why it took our credit card so long to be processed though. There was so much time in between each meal that the back corner of the bar near the lobsters that we all kept each other company while we waited and wondered when we would see our waitress again. Not sure we'll go back even if with another deal.
- SueGHDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful experience. I ordered the filet with crab, asparagus, and Béarnaise sauce -- It was perfectly cooked and delicious! Waite Staff friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Groupon yumRVAbornDined on 8/23/2014Great value with the groupon. We could pick any two entrees, any one appetizer and any one dessert. We thought they would limit our choices. The filet oscar was great as was the stuffed flounder (even better). Service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodFoodLoverDined on 8/23/2014This was the third time we ate dinner here and the food has been outstanding each time. This time, we had a waiter who was knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Service was very good! Lot's of crab dishes! We had the Beef Oscar with crab and the cracakes! The bacon wrapped scallops were good too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1seafoodluvherDined on 8/14/2014Stuffed salmon special was absolutely delicious!! Wine selection didn't include my favorites but the staff was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Stephen was my bar tender and the drinks were delicious. They were out of ingredients so he made a special just for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 219 reviews are from the Sam Miller's reviews archive.
- New findeatout2niteDined on 7/26/2014We had not been to Sam Miller's in years and we went because we purchased a groupon. We enjoyed the restaurant very much. The food was good and Brenden our waiter was awesome. Will dine there in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantMedStudentDined on 7/19/2014Pricey, but classy restaurant. Food is tasty and of high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb crabcakesJodyDined on 7/16/2014It had been a long time since we had tried this old Richmond favorite, but we will be going back again soon. We both enjoyed our meals and my husband's crabcakes were the best I've ever had in Richmond (unfortunately, I only got a small taste).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodRickm19Dined on 6/27/2014Service was excellent, food was worth the wait, but was a little pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014We had a 7:00 reservation on a Friday night and expected it to be packed. It took at least 10 minutes for our server to come to our table. She apologized and said it was crazy busy. This really confused us-there were empty tables everywhere. We ordered one drink from the bar ,after another 10 minutes, when I asked her to make it 2, she thanked me for reminding her as she forgot to put in the first order. I ordered the scallops wrapped in bacon which were good except for the plastic all over them because they used those toothpicks with the frilly plastic on top and then put them in the broiler! Who puts plastic in the broiler? The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail were more the size of salad shrimp. The entrees -overpriced and under-seasoned
- BAD SERVICEFOODLVRDined on 5/31/2014The food was okay but the service was very slow. I waited for over an hour to receive my food while others with a larger party, one with the same entree as me, was served first. I would not recommend.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialkbfoodieDined on 5/11/2014I picked Sam Miller's for Mother's Day brunch because the menu looked enticing and it had an open reservation at the time I wanted on Mother's day, unlike anywhere else that I wanted to eat at. However when we walked up to the hostess station, they asked if we had a reservation, which we definitely did, and although we were seated right away, the place was not busy, nor was it packed, and many of the issues I have with the place they seemed to blame on the "back to back" reservations. My mom wanted to sub out the regular french fries for the sweet potato fries, which our server had said was fine the first time she took our order, only to return and say that wasn't an option due to the busyness. Food took a long time and expensive drinks!
- Brunch not so greatfoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2014Plenty of better places in RVA to go for brunch. Hollandaise sauce on the Lump Crab Benedict was cold. Other entrees was just so so. We were the only people in the restaurant at 11:00, not a good sign of things to come.
- Delightful during Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014I always like coming back to Sam Miller's. The food is consistently very good. The atmosphere warm with the exposed brick and the hardwood bar. And the staff are conscientious as a team. We were well taken care of by not only our server, but it seemed like the whole serving crew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Great ServicevagentlemanVIPDined on 4/25/2014Local publications have had much to say about the state of service in some of better restaurants in Richmond, This was NOT our experience at Sam Miller's during Restaurant Week. Even though it was a busy Friday night, our party of six had great service. Knowledgeable, professional and friendly. There when you wanted him but not intrusive. The food was well prepared and nicely presented. Sam's has always had one of the better Restaurant Week menu's and this year was no exception. Most of the restaurant's "signature" dishes are included and are very, very good. Sam's had not bought into the "fusion" or "snout to tail" craze but their preparation of tradition dishes (crab cakes, steak, she crab soup) is hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newbeinrichmondDined on 4/25/2014The waiter was outstanding on Friday night! I was with a business consultant and eating here for the first time. I had the mahi mahi and it had delicious flavor but a bit dry. My colleagues crab cakes were excellent. Noise was not a problem to have work related discussions
- Worst service in RichmondURHusbandDined on 4/24/2014I don't have enough space to describe how terrible the food was nor how unprepared or trained the staff was. I'll highlight the following: We waited 5 minutes for a new fork for my wife even though we were sitting right next to the kitchen. The food consisted of prepackaged items that were reheated and if they weren't then someone needs another trip to culinary school. The "petite" fillet was no larger than my thumb and smaller than the fingerling potatoes it was paired with. The crab cake tasted like wet cat food. Almost everything was unseasoned. The desert came fresh from the freezer as my cheesecake was still hard in the center. The host boldly told us she couldn't seat us as she did not know where the table was. We aren't going back.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekTinaDined on 4/24/2014We visited Sam Miller's for RVA Restaurant Week and were thoroughly pleased with the selections on the pre fixe menu! My boyfriend and I always like to choose a place where we really feel like we're getting our money's worth, and we certainly did with all the seafood selections. The desserts were great as well. We shared the creme brûlée cheesecake and derby pie and were very pleased with both! We would certainly go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experienceBrenuartDined on 4/23/2014I've been to Sam Millers 3 or 4 times now and it has always delivered. I love the brick interior and the nice but not pretentious atmosphere. The menu has nice options and the food is good. I will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceToniDDined on 4/23/2014This was the second time my BFF and I visited Sam Miller's for Richmond's Restaurant Week because the experience the first time was really nice. However, on Wednesday, April 23rd we arrived at 7:00pm (reservation time) but was not served dinner until 8:30pm. Our wait staff, Rebecca was very nice and tried to explain that our order ticket was either misplaced or did not print that is given to kitchen staff for preparing our meals. It was very considerate of the evening manager, Steve to come to our table to apologize and offered us another drink, but we declined just wanting to have our meals. The food was very good but the long wait to be served was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They dropped the ballOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/22/2014I had reservations for 8 pm on a Tuesday and they seated us quickly. However, a waiter didn't come to the table for an 1/2 hour. The appetizers came out by 9 and the kitchen had to be reopened at 10:30 pm to get my desert (which the waiter didn't even realize he never gave us). I'm not sure how you could get worse service. Other than saying they were busy (on a Tuesday) there were no apologies offered by the restaurant staff.
- Enjoyed very muchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014The staff was friendly and helpful. I asked for a recommendation and was told the shrimp imperial was very good and a popular entree. Was she right? 3 large shrimp with excellent asparagus were brought fairly quickly. It had been a very long time since I had been to Sam Millers but I will definitely being going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but a bit pricey consideringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014NIce quiet atmosphere for a date or quiet conversation in a historic building with character. Food was fair considering the prices, pleasant service but brought the wrong meal which they corrected without asking a few minutes later. Hard to tell the difference between salmon or chicken on the dinner salad, hence the mistake. Overall Okay but I probably will not go back.Special Features:
- Beyond Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014highly recommend! hostess and bartender and server were all super nice and friendly! food was beyond amazing! will definitely return! thank you guys for a great meal and great experience:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A waste!GoodeatinDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's dinner. Sat for 30 minutes before our order was even taken. Empty tables all around so it was not because they were busy. Our server was AWFUL! We were NEVER offered another drink and he NEVER came back to check on our table. Not inviting or personable at all. My food was cold and bland and our dessert order was wrong but our server slapped the plates down so quick and walked away we couldn't even tell him. I will NEVER visit this establishment again. An expensive lesson learned.
- First time eating here and the lastNotsohappyDined on 2/14/2014I brought my girlfriend and my daughter for Valentines. The menu looked good for the two adults but I was very suprised when I asked the waitress if my 7 year old could just get a side salad or side of something and she said she would check with the kitchen and they said no. The waitress didn't really seem to care or try to give me any other ideas. The place wasn't even half way full so that started off not very well. Then we recieved our meal and the $45.00 pasta my daughter ordered was cold, my steak was well over done, my girlfriends crab cakes as well as mine had no flavor at all. Then when we went to order dessert they ran out of the only thing I wanted which was the Red Velvet Cake. With out a doubt the worst $175.00 meal every.
- Nice Atmosphere-Average FoodDAG606Dined on 2/14/2014The atmosphere was very refined & enjoyable, but the food choices were very limited and over priced. The menu only offered one non-seafood selection. For $50 per person + tax & tip, I was expecting better.Special Features:
- Good food, priceyMaddawgDined on 2/14/2014I thought the food was really good, but my wife and I were surprised by the price tag. It was valentines day, so they had a special menu, but there was no price on the menu. So we had no idea how much it would cost until we got the bill - $45/person, in case you were wondering.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Sam Millers was the perfect place to go for Valentine's Day. The food was good, service was great, it was a little pricey but worth it. Great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RESTAURANT WAS FINE-OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2014DON'T LIKE THAT i DID NOT RECEIVE OPEN TABLE POINTS FOR MY RESERVATION !!??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen needs a little polishOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2014Made our reservation for group of 5 to celebrate a birthday for Sunday lunch through Opentable. When we arrived our table was by the window as requested. Disclaimer: 2 of our party had waited tables in Shockoe Slip in the 80's when we were in college, including Sam's, so our expectations were high. It certainly looked wonderful and our waitress was friendly. The restaurant was far from full, but it took forever from the time of our order to getting any food on the table. Rather than bring out bread or our salads, everything came out very late at the same time. I had the shrimp and grits and while the flavor was good, the shrimp was overcooked. We had still had great time, but I would say they need to hustle more in the kitchen.Special Features: