78-6831 Ali'i Dr.
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $30 and under
Sam Choy's Kai Lanai
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.samchoy.com/
- Phone: 8083333434
- Hours of Operation:
Serving Daily - Lunch and Dinner, Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
Monday - Thursday 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Friday 11:00 am - 9:30 pm
Saturday 7:00 am - 9:30 pm
Sunday 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
HAPPY HOUR - Daily 3:00 - 5:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Sam Choy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
At Sam Choy's Kai Lanai, a stunning 230-degree view of the Pacific stretches out in a beautiful blue oasis before you. “The Short Bait” bar is a fun place to meet friends for pupus or sit by the fire pits and watch spectacular sunsets. The superb service and warm Aloha welcome will make this your top dining choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
- Great sunset dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014The restaurant was recommended by a friend and I am grateful for the tip. The location provides a high, commanding view of the coastline and ocean. The beautiful sunset was an added bonus. The 'three fish' special was really good as well as their salads. On the spendy side, but it was a targeted nice dinner with an expectation the cost would exceed $100. The service could use some improvement. Plenty of parking.Special Features:
- DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Ordered the duck.....it must have died of old age....tough....had to send it back. The pasta with mussels was good for the reorder.Special Features:
- Casual, but top notch find!AllanDined on 9/7/2014Excellent, service and House cocktails with a view to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time or moneydcbrDined on 9/6/2014Disappointed celebrate sister & moms bday. V Seated & ordered. Drinks,. salad and soup served within less than a minute our meal served. Entrée sat while we finished salad & soup. Mom spilled her water and waiter confused He mopped up a small amount than walked away while we swam in spilled water. Just talking for myself meal was nothing to write home about. Had fish trio swordfish overcooked. Veggies good. For price paid totally disappointed. They did not do Sam Chop proud Sept 6th.Special Features:
- Great ViewCoffeeTimeDined on 9/5/2014Food is good. Their Maitais are strong. The sunset view is outstanding. The manager does a good job of keeping customers happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014although we did not get a table with the best view what we wished we had a great wvening withh good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamsJosseDined on 8/22/2014Amazing Lamb & Duck! Also Fish Trio! To die for ! Really great customer service ! Little pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriSeamanDined on 8/22/2014Have been here several times and intend to keep coming back and keep recommending it to others. Love it! And the best part is, it's consistently good.Special Features:
- We came BackPnRTravelingDined on 8/21/2014This was our second time at Sam Choy's and it was as great as we remembered it! We made our reservations just before sunset and requested a view table, which we received. We ordered the spare-ribs as an appetizer, it was delicious and would recommend as a starter. We both had the house salad with the oriental ranch dressing, what a different twist, with very fresh vegetables. The Trio of Fresh Fish was next for both of us. They were prepared different ways and were all wonderful. Bread pudding was good definitely the weakest of what we had. Our only complaint was that our main course came out before we were finished with our salads.Special Features:
- kailuagrlkailuagrlDined on 8/17/2014Sam's exceeds our expectations every time we visit. Food is exceptional, service is great and you can't beat the view. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ready for another visitmichaelhartzellDined on 8/17/2014Our next trip will have us visiting Sam Choy's on the first night vs the last. The Duck, the fresh catch of the day, the sunset view -- all spectacular. David made us his own special margarita (and still deciding on a name) This will be a visit on the first night on our next trip. Excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The service was off the chart! Food was amazing. Overall experience was wonderful. Very romantic and perfect for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best view for dining on the islandfoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014Gorgeous views that our probably the best possible in the Kona area. Food as always was wonderful with new features to the menu daily. Sam's was always our favorite on Oahu, but that branch has since closed, so now we come to Kona for our dose of Sam Choy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining on the of the world!RaynemanDined on 7/24/2014What a great view while sipping on a Mai Tai and having some Poke and other Pupus. The service was excellent as the staff were friendly and attentive. The dinner was wonderful with the fresh seafood and mouth watering rib eye and NY strip steaks! We will definitely come back to dine and watch another sunset at Sam Choy's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational sunset viewSMH1Dined on 7/23/2014The food was fresh, healthy, and beautifully presented...each platter had a fresh orchid on it...a very nice touch. The service was top notch. We are only in Kona for 2 weeks, and we plan to eat here at least twice more. The stunning view of the sunset from the open-air restaurant and terrific food from local sources make for a very "Hawaiian" experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Da Kine Find!!!PunaGirlDined on 7/20/2014Celebrating my birthday this year was a big deal, as I haven't done so in years, and Sam Choy's was the "perfect" venue to do so! From the moment my date and I walked through the door, we were greeted with smiles and quickly escorted to our lovely table overlooking a sunset washed Kona shoreline below. Our celebratory margaritas were made to perfection and we lulled over the delicious menu choices, probably a bit too long, but what the heck...it was so much fun! We decided to go with an array of pupus instead of main course dishes because we wanted to sample more of Sam's culinary delights and we weren't disappointed, only wish there were more choices available! A complimentary chocolate decadence dessert topped off a perfect meal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite spotshawaiigalDined on 7/18/2014Our granddaughter was visiting from Nashville and she said that Sam Choy's was one of the restaurants she wanted to go to. We go there for most special occasions.Special Features:
- Good food, kitchen timing offMJRobinsDined on 7/16/2014This was the second time we went to Sam's. The first time was very disappointing because the service was so bad. This time our server was wonderful and the food very good. There's few places nicer to see the Sunset in Kona than from an outside table at Sam's. (To get an outside table, I'd definitely recommend reservations.) My one complaint was the timing of the dishes from the kitchen. There were long lags between the courses, especially between the entree and dessert. Also to be improved would be the hostess - it's always nice when there's someone there to thank you for dining with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Firsttimersamazed4sureDined on 7/15/2014First timers at Sam Choys. We heard thru media that it was good. We had no idea his status as a chef was this highly regarded. We did not know he had a t.v show and several cook books. We do know that we could not stop raving about the quality and flavors of the meal. My hubbie had the fish trio and I had the steak with shiitake mushroom sauce. We even brought some home and ate it the next day and the flavours were still there! It was clearly the best meal we've had in a very long time. Thank you for the great food! Desert was excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kai LanaiKonaLindaDined on 7/13/2014This is one of my favorite places in Kona! It is always such a delightful experience to come here. I enjoy bring family and friends that are visiting from the mainland. They enjoy it as well. I appreciate Sam and his crew immensely as he adds so much to Kona and this beautiful island of Hawaii.Special Features:
- Great value and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014Very nice sunset view. Excellent food. Really good prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many bugsHawaiianDined on 7/6/2014This place is great, except for all the bugs. My husband had to return a drink because bugs were swimming in it. Other than that, the food, service, and ambiance were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ddavisDined on 7/5/2014The view and food were very good went back a second time before we went back to phoenixSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs tweakingFooddivaDined on 7/5/2014Chose this for our last night. Our waiter was less than attentive and then he disappeared! He was sent home but never told us and we had to ask for help. Turns out they forgot to have us cared for...once they realized it the management apologized and offered us a free dessert/coffee. That being said...the main coarse 3 Fish and my fish in Ti leaves were both quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMicandreaDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was excellent, sorry I don't remember his name. His description of each on tray was mouth watering and we enjoyed how he used his hands in his expressions.Special Features:
- A Better Sam Choy'ssoimarriedahapahaoleDined on 6/23/2014After visiting the Honolulu location, where the food was good but the ambiance and location less impressive, the Keahou location just south of Kona on the Big Island was a great step up. Same great food, and the lanai's ocean view was spectacular. Sunsets are amazing there, since the view is westward. I indicated "fit for foodies," because you might learn local ways to prepare fish (furikake-encrusted spear fish in my last entree), as well as local names for the different species. Many tourist families make it more casual than you might be seeking for a quiet, romantic dinner. Great evening, overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thee BEST on th Big IslandSunniDaeDined on 6/19/2014GREAT for *Special* times, or any time. Loved my Calamari. Sam Choys knows how to fix it and a great serving. Had a garden/house salad with their own salad dressing. I also had a virgin MaiTai. Surprised by the flavor. TRY IT! My husband had a fish trio diner. Plenty for one person. Then out came a tiny little cake and a tiny serving of ice cream. PERFECT for us! They sang Happy Birthday to me and wished us a HAPPY 11th Anniversary. Just the best place to eat. We'll be going back again before we leave. Thank you Sam Choys for a beautiful evening meal under the stars. To Aurthur, our waiter, you took care of us well! Thank you!Special Features:
- Aloha from TucsonTeamLeaVIPDined on 6/18/2014Have been to the original Sam Choys when it was up by Costco in Kona, and we visit almost every year and go to his new location, which we went when it was the Wendy's with the killer view then sat vacant for years...so glad it's Sam's!! Salad dressing rocks!Special Features:
- Great ViewsLovehawaiiDined on 6/17/2014I took both of my sons to Sam's and we had a wonderful dinner! The wait staff was very accommodating and reseated us to one of the outside tables so we could experience the view. (We had reservations for 7:30 and I told them we'd wait for an outside table but they moved us right away) My boys (21 and 11years) loved their food. Duck and pork dishes. I am a vegan so the food experience was more fir their benefit. I had the pasta dish with veggies. It wasn't anything remarkable but I wasn't expecting a fabulous vegan dish. :) Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- john & DianeWashingtonitesDined on 6/15/2014My husband and I went to Sam Choys for dinner and got a great table with no one in front of us. Very nice waitress and the food was good. A bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ViewSteveMcDined on 6/12/2014The food was excelent and the view is one of the best on the island. I recomend getting there in time to watch the sunset. The waiter was friendly and accomodated some picky personalities!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam ChouOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Fabulous. Location and food to match. Reasonable prices,big portions, beautiful presentationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Great view of the sun setting over keahou bay. Food was very tasty. However service was lacking. Our order was taken promptly and food arrived quickly, even had a visit from the executive chef. However once we had finished our meal we were left waiting for over 40 minutes for our plates to be cleared and dessert or more drinks to be offered. When we finally ordered our dessert we were told a couple had been waiting over an hour for our table, even though we had only been around 1.5 hours and had been left unattended for 40 minutes!! Not sure why we were hurried along as there were other tables free, and we had made a booking. Overall the food and view were lovely so worth a trip, just make sure you have an extended booking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome View and Ono Food!gypsymermaidDined on 6/2/2014We have long been Sam Choy's fans and have been to several locations (Oahu and the Big Island) of his restaurants through the years! The view at this location is amazing!!! The food is ONO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunset at Sam ChoysSuzwarDined on 5/31/2014Not only was our meal delicious we were treated to a spectacular view of the sunset. The Brie wontons were especially tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishPDXFoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014The staff needs to learn how to serve and clean a whole fish. I know how to do this so it did not phase me, but I looked around and most diners hardly touched their slimjack, which was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 488 reviews are from the Sam Choy's Kai Lanai reviews archive.
- Great place for family birthdayYenkersDined on 5/16/2014We love the open dining and we had a wonderful sunset. Chris (our waiter) was attentive (just enough). The entire wait staff was so kind - our 5 year old granddaughter felt at home and everyone cared for her requests in a gentle friendly way.Special Features:
- A very special place22nmeDined on 5/12/2014We celebrated our granddaughter's 7th birthday @ Sam Choy's...it's her personal favorite dining spot. The food was delicious and the service by Paul was outstanding. But, the best part was when the staff gathered around our table with cake, ice cream and candle in hand to sing, "Happy Birthday" to her. She lit up brighter than the candle. Thank you to all for making her, and us, feel so welcomed and special. Mahalo kakou for serving up a large portion of aloha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationKonax4Dined on 5/11/2014We were visiting Kona, and wanted a special place for our anniversary dinner. My brother and family recommended Sam Choy's. We could not have been more pleased. The hostess that greeted us was very friendly and made a great first impression. We were seated just inside the edge as it was raining just before we arrived. We had a spectacular view. Our waiter gave us time when we needed it, but was there when we needed something or wanted to order. The final special touch was a special dessert to share because it was our anniversary. It was also Mother's Day, and we watched how nicely the families were treated. I would definitely recommended Sam Choy's, and looked forward to returning the next time we visit Kona.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for special occasionsfgdsDined on 5/11/2014We had mother's day brunch. It was good food but pretty pricey, so not somewhere I would go on a regular basis if you're on a budget.I would recommend this to a friend.