Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, Crab & Big Aloha Brewery
580 N. Nimitz Highway
Honolulu, HI 96817Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, Crab & Big Aloha Brewery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://samchoyhawaii.com/
- Phone: 8085457979
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:00am; BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; LUNCH: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; DINNER: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Aurelio Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms with seating for up to 150 people for birthdays, graduations, retirement parties etc. Off menu, family style, or buffet options are available.
- Private Party Contact: Terri Owada 8085457979
- Entertainment: We feature live Hawaiian music most Fridays and Saturdays from 6:00pm - 9:00pm. On Sundays, from 6:00pm - 8:00pm we feature children's entertainment, such as a magician, balloon sculpting, or caricature drawing. Sunday is also Keiki (kids) night, where kids eat free from our keiki menu with each adult entree purchased.
A word from Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, Crab & Big Aloha Brewery
Sam Choy's features Hawaiian regional cuisine and promotes products of the island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch, Crab & Big Aloha Brewery reviews from OpenTable diners
- Sadly, Sam Choy's in HonolululuvbokaVIPDined on 3/6/2013Sadly, Sam Choy's in Honolulu is closing on Friday, March 15th, 2013. We attempted to cancel our dinner reservations and the Open Table link to the restaurant was not working properly.Special Features:
- Our server only checked onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Our server only checked on us once. We had to wave down someone for water. We look like vacationers, but ate locals. The waiter went to the local table next to ours three times in ten minute. Service horrible and it was slow and took 20 minutes to get a hamburger. When the hamburgers came they were warm and medium rare came we'll done and dry
- Sunday night is kid's nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2013Sunday night is kid's night with table side magician, balloon sculpture and caricature artist. Loved it.Special Features:
- Awesome Food, Impecable Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013The food was incredible and the variety unbeatable; but, the service was friendly and efficient and showed impecable signs of strong team effort. Every server took care of every table whether it was their assigned station or not. Thumbs Up! Great, great team effort we were never in need at any time, which made the entire dining experience awesome.Special Features:
- A great place to get youralamoVIPDined on 1/27/2013A great place to get your final Hawaiian meal on the way to the Honolulu airport.
- The service was excellentllaupolaDined on 1/23/2013The service was excellent and the food delicious, a family fav!!Special Features:
- I normally enjoy Sam Choys.kamahinaDined on 12/23/2012I normally enjoy Sam Choys. But not this time. Food took forever to come, not the 10 mins promised on the menu. More like 20+ minutes. The Teriyaki Meat I had was too intense and somewhat salty. It's hard to beleive Sam Choy would approve of that sauce?! Staff was friendly and effiecient just that food quality was poor (hubby's salad greens were wilted) and service was too slow. Husband doesn't want to go back again. He tells me that everytime we go there, actually.Special Features:
- The breakfast buffet was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012The breakfast buffet was delicious! Although maybe not as big as other buffets, the taste and quality of the food was excellant! They had an omelet station which I love and all the food was so fresh! I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- With the Big Aloha BreweryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012With the Big Aloha Brewery on site what else can you ask for?!? The beer sampler is a MUST! The food was delicious!Special Features:
- Give your review a titleShoeDined on 12/2/2012Fantastic seafood & sides, and the Big Aloha beer selection was terrific.Special Features:
- Seafood dish was deliciousKenji12345VIPDined on 11/14/2012Seafood dish was delicious but a tad overcooked. Really enjoyed the service.Special Features:
- With "Crab" in the restaurant'steachertravelerVIPDined on 11/9/2012With "Crab" in the restaurant's name, we expected some very good crab, but did not find it in the crab cakes, which had very little taste of any kind, and appeared to be mostly filler.The Crab Louis Salad had some crab which had a bit of crab taste but the tuna salad and noodles had almost no taste; the salad had little variety and did not look inviting to eat--a very plain presentation. For $50, including tip, we expected more. The service was efficient and not especially friendly. Many diners around us ate large plate lunches, which they seemed to enjoy and finished with gusto, so I hope ours was an exceptional experience. But with many other fine restaurants in Honolulu, we will not go back to Sam Choy's.
- As the name suggests, lotsMattDined on 10/14/2012As the name suggests, lots of dishes have crab, there also a few non-seafood choices. Everyone enjoyed their food and said it was good. Decor is nautical themed and matches the warehouse type space; tip based valet parking is the only option. Service seemed disjointed, multiple servers asked us for drink orders, but overall, everything got ordered and received one way or another.Special Features:
- I had the daily lunch special,MattDined on 9/29/2012I had the daily lunch special, which was a sausage sandwich with onions and garlic fries and my wife had the crab cake sandwich with a salad. Neither were fantastic, but both were good enough that we finished them. Absent a coupon special, I'm not sure I would eat here again. It wasn't bad, it was just pricey and didn't stand out.
- The staff were exceptional,llaupolaDined on 9/9/2012The staff were exceptional, there was a magician who was quite entertaining and the food was EXCELLENT. I've never had a bad experience at Sam Choy's, it's always my local "show off" spot when we have visitors from out of town. Thanks staff, for making the best Salad dressing, mac nut chicken and some folks from Oregon feel like Kama'aina.Special Features:
- We went there to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2012We went there to celebrate my birthday, and they did an excellent job. They sat us by the evening entertainment, gave us lots of personal attention and even set up a personalized tour of the Aloha Brewery with free sample of latest brew. Our server was super friendly and made us feel at home. Great Beer and Food...yummy, especially the crab dishes.Special Features:
- I usually don't provide reviews,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2012I usually don't provide reviews, but this place was so bad that I had to write something. Food was incredibly mediocre. Salmon in some kind of cream sauce was boiled or steamed into salmon mush; any salmon taste was gone. Probably serves me right for not ordering a Hawaiian fish, although others in our group were similarly unimpressed with their orders. Terrible food, ridiculously overpriced, in a juvenile setting similar to Joe's Crab Shack. Sam, you've allowed your standards to slip badly.
- Service great, food poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2012In years past when i visited this restaurant, food and service was GREAT. Now, service is still excellent, but food selection and taste was very poor.
- Waitstaff was excellent asKeffenVIPDined on 7/17/2012Waitstaff was excellent as was the food. Menu offers a great variety of options to chose from all with local twists.Special Features:
- Our entrees arrived beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2012Our entrees arrived before we received our salads.Special Features:
- Excellent food, friendly serivce,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2012Excellent food, friendly serivce, comfortable atomspshere, easy (valet) parking, reasonable price ...what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Service was very good at 1115.monzVIPDined on 7/12/2012Service was very good at 1115. Food was also very good n hearty.Special Features:
- Just okay...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2012Eh... I can't say that Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab is anything special. In fact, I think that they have simply been gliding along on the reputation that they establish sometime ago. At one time, their menu was cutting edge, but those days are long past and I often find more interesting options at much lower prices with the lunch wagons scattered around town.
- More attention to preparationSuvkixDined on 6/30/2012The Ono was delicious and fresh, but over cooked. The interior was fun and roomy.
- Food was okay; service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2012Food was okay; service was not good. Had to wait forever for the check. There was a miscommunication between the servers. They need to coordinate more if more than one server is waiting on a table.
- This was the worst meal weSES08080VIPDined on 6/24/2012This was the worst meal we had during our ten night trip to Hawaii. The fish was so overcooked I couldn't even cut it with a knife. Tacky decor added to the disappointing meal.
- Staff was very friendly &OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Staff was very friendly & helpful. Had a wonderful breakfast brunch with our family. Thankful for the waiters/staff who was on top of it. Good service....mahalo!!!! :DSpecial Features:
- We came for my mom's birthdayMarissaVIPDined on 6/4/2012We came for my mom's birthday and were disappointed in the service. The food was fine, but the attitude from our server was enough to spoil the mood and appetite of our whole party. Ugh!
- Dinner on a Friday night featureduye1Dined on 5/25/2012Dinner on a Friday night featured live Hawaiian entertainment. Service and food were very good. We decided on meal of pupus (appetizers) and had great choices with baby back ribs, crab dip, and batter fried mushrooms! Also enjoyed their micro-brew Ehu Lager!Special Features:
- Went for Happy Hour. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/25/2012Went for Happy Hour. All appetizers were half off. The only thing is that the Bar tables were high and small. The squeezed Kalua pig quesadilla, crab dip, 2 plates of fried rice, and tempura mushrooms on a small rectangular table. The plates were over lapping each other so one small plate fell and broke. The food was decent nothing special. The mushrooms were hard and the food got cold fast because we were under an AC. The Kalua Pig Quesadilla was the best and the dip would have been good if they used soft bread and it didn't get cold. The bar area was in an awkard place on the side of the restaraunt totally closed off from the main area. The tvs were also old school huge block tv's but hey it was $23 for our 2 person bill!Special Features:
- Flash Fried PokeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2012This was a fun place to go for lunch. We went as tourists, but there also seemed to be a lot of locals, which made for a nice energy. My 5 y.o. loved sitting in the boat area. They had a good kids menu where she was able to choose saimin, guava juice, and chocolate ice cream for dessert. I had the flash fried poke with the special fried rice. I had never had poke flash fried before, so it was fun to try it this way. Next time, I would probably get it with just the plain rice, as together it was a little salty for my taste. Everyone was really nice. There is only valet parking, which was fine for us, as parking seemed to be very tight here. We would go back again the next time we're in Oahu.Special Features:
- Food for the most part wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2012Food for the most part was pretty good, however, buffet line could benefit from more frequent restocking. And the squid luau could use a bit more seasoning...taste resembled cardboard this time around.Special Features:
- There is always good foodEisuttDined on 5/19/2012There is always good food at Sam Choy's. Our server was extra considerate due to our long wait. Always there to keep checking with us.
- Excellent food every time.IngeDined on 5/19/2012Excellent food every time. Service was great but took a while for our order to come out due to them being busier than I've ever seenSpecial Features:
- Must Valet ParkingJimbo9988Dined on 5/17/2012Only think I didn't like was valet parking. Although there is plenty parking on the back but they told me you must park outside on the street.Special Features:
- Bad food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2012Food was bad and the smell of paint thinner was over wellming.
- Had dinner and drinks withMarine782VIPDined on 5/9/2012Had dinner and drinks with my staff. Food was excellent and service was superb. Very crowded the night we went so our reservation was delayed about 15 minutes and even though it was only 1830 hours they had run out of prime rib, the night's special! Neverless, this is a greaqt place for friends to get together to have a good time and a good meal.Special Features:
- Breakfast service was slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/29/2012Breakfast service was slow, diners have the choice to take the buffet or order off the menu. It seemed that wait staff was kept.to a minimum hoping more people would go for the buffet. We chose to order from the menu, good options to chose from and everyone was happy with their choices. Overall we had a good meal and had to give credit to our server for handling a large amount of tables.Special Features:
- How few times can you go toFrenchbreadVIPDined on 4/26/2012How few times can you go to a restaurant and not find at least one little thing that was off or not fantastic? This was one of those rare times. Our waitstaff was friendly, patient, helpful, genuinely interested in having our experience be a good one. The food...all great portions but not at the expense of great flavor. Varied menu - everyone in our group found many choices that worked for them. The two most praised items of everything we ordered were the special of the night - steamed chinese style snapper and bbq ribs. Would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- The service was prompt, efficientKimiKVIPDined on 4/25/2012The service was prompt, efficient and very personable. We really enjoyed our server and his helper because they were very attentive to the bread basket, as well as the drinks and the left overs. The prime rib special was an exceptionally large cut and delicious. The snow crab clusters was filling and the beef stew was tasty. The sides were mediocre but what caught my taste buds was the bread basket. The rolls, combined with honey butter, were sublime. I couldn't stop eating them, even after I was full of snow crab. We enjoyed our dining experience and would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features: