Sam & Harry's Steakhouse - Marriott Newport Beach
900 Newport Center Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sam & Harry's Steakhouse - Marriott Newport Beach
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Phone: 9497296900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday thru Sunday 11 am – 2 pm Dinner Monday thru Sunday 5 pm – 10 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Private Party Information (949)729-6902
- Special Events: Offers four private dining rooms that can accommodate 8 to 50 guests. Buy-outs are available for 150 guests. For more information on private dining, contact Private Party Information at (949)729-6902.
A word from Sam & Harry's Steakhouse - Marriott Newport Beach
Begun in 1990, the original Sam & Harry’s is a Washington, D.C. landmark. An institution for “power dining” in the city, Sam & Harry’s DC has hosted Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Julia Child, and Nicolas Cage among many celebrities and politicians. Washingtonians voted Sam & Harry’s “Best Steak” and Wine Spectator has awarded us the “Best Award of Excellence”. Sam & Harry’s brings more than a traditional steakhouse to Newport Beach. We feature USDA prime steaks, “jet-fresh” seafood flown in daily from around the world, and an award-winning wine program that showcases a list of hand selected bottles, while highlighting 50 wines by the glass. Sam & Harry’s signature personalized service will accommodate your every need and our private dining rooms provide the perfect ambiance for an evening of business or leisureContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sam & Harry's Steakhouse - Marriott Newport Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (3)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)neighborhood gem (1)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Food1eyedladyDined on 9/7/2014We had a very enjoyable Sunday brunch. My son and his partner had the brunch buffet and I ordered off the lunch menu. The buffet was excellent, lots of choices, fresh fruit, omelet bar, you name it and it was there beautifully presented. I ordered the shrimp nicoise salad. It was excellent. The shrimp was grilled and lightly spiced, served with all the goodies that come in a nicoise salad. I would definitely return to try the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the Sam & Harry's Steakhouse - Marriott Newport Beach reviews archive.
- unhappy diner54321Dined on 4/20/2014when I made reservations I was told we could order off regulart menu - I don't like buffet style. But we were not allowed to do that. Then when ordering a drink (bloody mary) I had to make it myself. Not at all what I expected from a hotel in ritzy NewportSpecial Features:
- Nice hotel venueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Food was cooked to perfection wine selection was price fair
- Sam & Harry's NewportLGPGDined on 4/4/2014Don't be swayed by the convenience factor as we were. Decided to eat here while staying at the Marriott, mostly out of laziness (and lack of available tables at other nearby restaurants on a Friday night last-minute!). Should have waited for a table at Fleming's across the street at Fashion Island. Sam & Harry's steaks were great, but our baked potatoes came out cold, and the roasted garlic that they serve on the side was inedible! Caesar salad was the equivalent of something you'd get at Applebees. Service was good, but we were one of only two or three tables aside from a large rehearsal dinner party. Ambiance is what you'd expect from a hotel restaurant (pretty non-existent). Don't think we'd eat there again.Special Features:
- Great Food, So-So ServiceOCPD44Dined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was not crowded, especially for a Saturday night, so we were a bit wary. It didn't take long for service, although there only appeared to be one waitress on duty. The French onion soup was good. The wife ordered the Divers Scallops and I ordered the Delmonico steak with asparagus as a side. The scallops were nicely done and came with great side sauces. My steak, rare, was nicely seared and flavorful. The asparagus was perfect. We shared a creme brulee for dessert. Meh. Go someplace else for dessert and drinks (which were highly overpriced and nothing to shout about). Service was so-so, not because she didn't try but because they shouldn't have tried to chinz out by using the busboys as sidemen. Other than that, great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine dinner. It appearedAlanVIPDined on 2/14/2014Valentine dinner. It appeared that our waitress and bus boy were the only ones working the restaurant. To there credit they tried to give service , food was very good although they ran out of a side dish and never informed us. A major disappointment for a Valentine's dinner.
- Great experience, I know it'sValentineDined on 2/14/2014Great experience, I know it's California, but the waiter constantly referred to us as 'guys'. A bit casual for the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef does great job!DietitianVIPDined on 1/24/2014The food was delicious and the chef came around to say hello. We'll definitely return. We live near the hotel and were pleased with the menu and the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Friendly Staffggluv2dineDined on 1/19/2014I love the feel of this place it was comfortable dining and I would diffently go back . Food was the best that I have had at a Hotel Resturant ever. Loved dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel RestaurantBrainDocDined on 11/18/2013This is a sister restaurant to a the original in Washington D.C. A traditional steakhouse, the Caesar was great with anchovies if you wish, the French Onion soup tasted great, BUT I specifically asked for the cheese to be browned and it wasn't. My steak was cooked well, except again, I asked for a little char on the outside and didn't get it. (It was a quiet night at the restaurant....maybe the grills weren't at full blast?) Given the prices, I also expected the meat to be the same quality as at the top chains such as Mastro's or Morton's and I thought mine didn't quite reach that level.
- Food was DelectableCinaVIPDined on 11/8/2013Our server, Noelle, was fantastic--bubbly personality, helpful, accommodating. Our dinner was delicious. We always enjoy dining at Sam & Harry's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2013Sam & Harry's was a great reprieve to the fast busy pace restaurant scene. Food was well proportioned & served hot. Service was extremely cordially. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLaurieleeVIPDined on 7/4/2013The decor and ambiance felt like a hotel restaurant not a fine dinig steak house. Chairs too big to be comfortable. Not the view they claimed. So disappointed with left before ordering
- UnpreparedicjcVIPDined on 6/30/2013My husband and I were staying at the Marriott overnight and meeting friends for the restaurant's Sunday Breakfast buffet. There was either a lack of staff or a lack of management. Seems like the front desk was not well covered; the young lady there was running around herself trying to get tables ready. The restaurant was totally unprepared for the number of people that were waiting; some of them were not too happy (including our group). Once we were seated, it was a bit better and we had a good waiter taking care of our table. We noticed that the buffet was advertised until 1pm, but some of it was put away early and other guests complained. Too bad, since it is a good hotel and a nice facility.
- Everything but the Service...clam0614Dined on 6/29/2013Excited to actually have a good restaurant within a hotel, we chose Sam and Harry's over the conventional Fleming's in Fashion Island. We had dinner reservations at 8pm which they were very flexible with and sat us in a very nice table secluded from other tables with a view out towards the fire pits. The table might have been too secluded however as we were not attended to for about 10-15 minutes. We were offered water and when the Manager finally came over frantically to check on us, we told him we were given lunch menus instead of dinner and wanted to start with drinks and a shrimp cocktail appetizer. The drinks he sent us were switched, vodka soda instead of tonic and the shrimp was warm. Luckily we had plenty of ice in our drinks!
- Very Pleasant!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2013We will be back for the food, noise level, extraordinary service and parkingSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day at Sam & Harry'svjv5Dined on 5/12/2013Always fantastic. Best steaks in town. GREAT service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melt in your mouth Steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Seriously, The best Steak in town. Melts in your mouth!Special Features:
- Moderate satisfactionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Food was okay. Have tasted better. Our bread basket was not like the other guests were getting. Seemed like it was sitting out, not too fresh. Had to wait for our check.Special Features:
- A local discoveryJohnPVIPDined on 1/26/2013We are local Newport residents and decided to give Sam & Harry's a visit sincevitvwas last minute and they could take us in at 7:30. Server ( Ben) was great and engaging, accommodating but not intrusive. 3 of us had the Resturant Week special which had an 8 oz fillet, started salad or soup, vegetables and a nice desert array for $30. They recognized a birthday celebration in the group with a very nice desert. Highlights were the crab cake appetizers and the generous portion of the steaks which were cooked to perfection. We will add to our acceptablevresturant list in Newport Beach.
- Great food and kid- friendlyYayiDined on 1/26/2013Surprised me! Delicious food! And.. My children loved it too!Special Features:
- the waitress is not friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013the waitress is not friendly ~ 1) no bread served on lunch ?? we got bread on lunch in last visit. 2) need to ask to pour water for a few times, no matter my guests need for cold or warm water, 3) after a few times in asking for box to pack leftover, we needed to talk to other waiter . We like food there but the service is really bad.... maybe it's not her good day.Special Features:
- My 95 year old mother-in-lawCDSmithDined on 1/23/2013My 95 year old mother-in-law picked Sam and Harry's as the choice for her Restaurant Week visit. She loved everything from the hotel interior to the menu. Of course, having filet mignon (cooked just the way she likes it) as one of the choices made it a "no brainer." But she also loved the wedge salad and the marvelous dessert sampler. I had the French onion soup, which was full of onion and covered with a delicious cheese. My main course was salmon. This was on a bed of rice with a side of vegetables. All of it was delicious and my mother-in-law has not stopped raving about it. She would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Staff was very nice and attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Staff was very nice and attentive. Was there with 7 family members and were treated like royalty!!Special Features:
- Best steak in townOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/2/2012If not the best, the second best steak I have ever eaten. My girlfriend order rack of Lamb and said it was to die for. I ordered my steak Oscar style and ate every bit of it. My only problem with my steak is that it wasn't going to last forever. As with all great things it must come to an end. The steaks are large but we ate all our meals there and took nothing home. It was my girlfriend's birthday and she was treated like a queen. They topped everything off with a chocolate mousse cake that was delicious. We could hardly eat it after our great dinner, but it was just to good. I could eat there every night.Special Features:
- Nice location for a business lunchFoodie90630VIPDined on 11/15/2012Food is very good. Love the shrimp Nicoise salad. Prices aren't bad given that this is a hotel restaurant. Sweet hostess who loves to talk. Service could be improved. Not as attentive as it should be. Can’t believe that the restaurant’s website has been down for over 3 months.Special Features:
- My steak was one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012My steak was one of the best steaks I have ever had !Special Features:
- Had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012Not as good as previous reviews I thought. The chef seemed to serve food the way he liked it not how the customer likes it!Special Features:
- Questionable BreakfastFoodie1VIPDined on 7/18/2012This restaurant is not a JW Marriott, but it is not at a strip mall either. I was expecting the service to be better, seems like the morning wait staff was either on or off. They talked to each other and should have been servicing their tables better. Just a couple of bad days for them or perhaps they have been at this restaurant so long, they are burned out. One thing I did not like, were they pre made scrambled eggs. Do restaurants purchase this stuff and prepare it from a can or a bucket? Definitely have the chef make fresh eggs for you! On the plus side, the front staff of the hotel is excellent!
- Food was very average forHammertimeVIPDined on 7/17/2012Food was very average for these prices. Waiter did a great job. Kitchen missed 2 out of 3 for medium all was served rare regardless of how you ordered it. Mac and cheese was missing, then came late although again a very average side dish for the money. Waiter comped the side and a dessert. This place needs to step it up to compete with the likes of Flemings and Roy's in the same Fashion Island area...Special Features:
- Sam & Harry's is an excellentSteakLoverDined on 7/13/2012Sam & Harry's is an excellent place for steak. The dining room overlooks a beautiful pool at the Marriott, and the service staff was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful service, ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2012Wonderful service, Excellent food! We really enjoyed our evening, thank you!Special Features:
- Took my boyfriend here forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012Took my boyfriend here for his birthday, he wanted Surf and Turf. He is a picky eater and said this was the BEST steak he has ever had! Nothing was left on his plate.Special Features:
- We have been to Sam&Harry'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2012We have been to Sam&Harry's before and always return for their excellent steaks. We shared the 22 oz. Delmonico steak which was cooked to perfection. Nice crust, juicy pink inside. Service was attentive, but then there were very few people in the restaurant. There is an outside patio with views of the pool and Pacific, but it was cool and windy, so we ate inside.Special Features:
- Excellent food and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2012Excellent food and wonderful service. Our server even remembered that we mentioned on Opentable that it was our anniversary when we first got there. Will come again!Special Features:
- Sam & Harry's Steakhouse Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2012Nice spot just to stay in the hotel for the evening and enjoy the ambience.Special Features:
- Worth trying for a business lunch.Foodie90630VIPDined on 5/8/2012I visit often for weekday lunch. Food is very good although a bit pricey. But not bad for a hotel. Service tends to be inattentive, especially after the entrees are served. Staff could benefit from some education on how to provide quality service. On my recent visit my guest was served her entree when she was only half way through her starter. My entree salad was served at the same time as her starter. Waiter didn't even ask me if I'd like to have my salad served with my guest's entree. Makes me wonder were the servers learned their trade. Had to believe it was any formal Marriott training. Great view from the open expanse of windows in the dining room. Good location for business lunches.Special Features:
- Not a good experience this timeFoodie90630VIPDined on 4/27/2012Although one of my favorite weekday lunch destinations, my recent experience was not good. The service was poor after our entrees were served. Took much to long to pay. Waitress was busy talking with other staff. Had to hunt her down to pay my check. My shrimp Nicoise salad, a favorite menu item of mine, was over drench with dressing that was overpowering with Dijon mustard. I doubt the chef tasted the dressing. If not for hunger, I would have sent it back. Note, the restaurant was not busy. Only 4-5 tables were occupied. I'm recommending only because previous experience was very good.Special Features:
- I had a client meeting thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/19/2012I had a client meeting there and my client just loved the food!!Special Features:
- We had brunch on Easter Sunday.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012We had brunch on Easter Sunday. Unfortunately, we have had better. Although the buffet was adequate, there did not seem to be anything special and there was no food with a local flavor.