Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul
917 Grand Ave
St. Paul, MN 55105Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.salutbaramericain.com/
- Phone: 6519172345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul does not accept reservations for Patio seating. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Anthony Leonhardi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On-site private dining is available for groups up to 50. Please call Larissa LaMere at 651.917.2345 for details.
- Special Events: Join the Parasole Dining Club. It's free and more rewarding than ever! http://www.parasole.com/diningclub/
- Cross Street: Milton Avenue
- Public Transit: Easy access via the main bus line off of Grand Avenue.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Off-street, residential parking on surrounding streets is also available, but please be aware of parking restrictions. Grand Avenue meter parking is free after 6pm. The parking lot next to Salut is free, but space is extremely limited. Please obey all signage within that lot. Call for valet parking hours.
A word from Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul
Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul is the brasserie down the block. Warm and welcoming, with an urbane wit and urban sensibility, it’s an afternoon hangout and an evening refuge. It’s your neighbor with a French accent. The setting evokes a classic Parisian bistro/restaurant. The service is spirited, confident and capably executed. And the cooking captures the freshness and hearty flavor of French cuisine. It’s the vibe inside that sets Salut apart from bowing maitre ‘d’s and sniffing sommeliers. From the welcoming wine list, to the playful décor, to the genial buzz in the dining room, Salut celebrates the French restaurant’s essential qualities while dispensing with the exclusionary ones. It demystifies French food by making it accessible and rewarding while poking fun at the stereotypes that surround it. In this sense, Salut is a dual citizen: Authentically French! Book the Le Grand Boeuf family-style feast, serving 8-10 people. Call Liz Jobe to make your reservation 651.917.2345.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Salut Bar Americain - St. Paul reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (118)neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (62)special occasion (57)great for lunch (50)good for groups (44)great for brunch (42)romantic (28)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- Special BrunchgregDined on 5/11/2014Mother's day brunch with kids; excellent food and service and very accommodating for the children. Going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Buffet a BustAnneVIPDined on 5/11/2014When we arrived for our 9 a.m. reservation, the buffet was not quite set up. While we waited...we asked for a mimosa but were told by the server that alcohol could not be legally served before 10 a.m. on Sunday in Minnesota. I had never heard that before so checked the MN State Dept website (out of curiosity) and that is absolutely not correct. The food was was fine but nothing special and didn't make up for the late start and unavailability of a Mother's Day toast. While I like the location of this restaurant, I've found that eating on the patio during nice weather and sticking with the great salads and burgers is a better choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchSTPaulDineDined on 5/4/2014Had a great bruch experience here last week. The service was outstanding. Our server was friendly and helpful; we never felt rushed. The menu choices were varied. Our selections with the advice of our server we exceptional. I highly recommend the Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- It's been better.DisappointedDined on 5/3/2014We have been to Salut many times. Unfortunately this past experience was not so great. We suggested the restaurant to my sister and her husband who were in town for the weekend. Food was not very good. I ordered the sea bass which was rubbery and not cooked through. My brother inlaw had the pork and it was not very flavorful. My husband had a steak and it was a poor cut so very tough. Server forgot to bring salads with the meal. It will be awhile before I would try to go back.
- Should have sent Creme Brulee backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014The food was good in general but I was obvious the Creme Brulee was made a ways in advance. The bruleed sugar topping was chewy and didn't have that crunchy just broken into effect. The custard was also syruppy sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteKayBDined on 4/30/2014This is a good midway meeting dining place for lunch or dinner if you live on one part of town and a friend lives in another. Plenty of parking unless you come on a weekend night.Special Features:
- Was expecting betterSWidenVIPDined on 4/29/2014The wine list was very good. The food was average at best. Also, we wish the service would have been better. It took a really long time to get our oyster order along with drinks refilled.Special Features:
- Toast of the townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Our server was spectacular. We were only there for 1.5 hours after work but it was the bright spot of a dreary day. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARleneVIPDined on 4/29/2014Interesting menue food very good excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Brunch at SalutbabushkababeDined on 4/27/2014Our food was great, although I could have used an extra tea bag for my tea. Out waitress was new and very friendly.Special Features:
- Decent brunchEdinaDLDined on 4/27/2014We were a group of six - seated promptly and drink orders taken and filled fairly quickly. Although we were seated before the rush it took about 30 minutes to get food. Brunch choices fairly traditional - no standouts. Poached eggs in Eggs Benedict slightly overdone to our taste; maybe this is their standard and you ask for a different level of doneness. Kids enjoyed frites and French toast; the kids' pasta choice had too much sauce and not enough pasta. Trainee server did a fine job with us - got the orders right, delivered, confirmed, with smiles and jokes. We'll go again and stick with the simple stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodLucyDined on 4/26/2014This place never disappoints! Can't wait for the weather to improve so we can sit on the patio.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchjoannDined on 4/20/2014We were very disappointed. The brunch was expensive ($27 no beverage) with few items for a vegetarian and only one (seafood crepe) for those who don't eat red meat. There were only egg dishes available and a salad and lackluster quick bread items for dessert. There was no way to find out in advance what the meal was. Nothing was posted on the website, no one answered the phone when I called, in fact. several calls yielded no answers in advance. We made reservations based on last year's notes on a facebook page and brunch menus. Will not go back again. The waitress was great but she couldn't compensate for the fact that we paid a fortune and left knowing we should have stayed home.
- Easter BrunchtimetodineDined on 4/20/2014One of the best brunches ever! A beautiful sunshiney day allowed us to enjoy the wonderful patio. Our server was energetic; there was a great assortment of food - prepared deliciously and just the right portions for tasting (could always get more once you found your favs!). Would definitely go back here for special brunches and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!DiningadeuxDined on 4/20/2014Our server was fantastic! The food was ok for an Easter brunch. We loved the quiche, the port braised beef brisket, the sausage, and roasted root vegetables. The crepes, both chicken/artichoke and seafood, were bland. Same with the omelette. This is our second year for an Easter brunch and I doubt there will be a third.
- Yum Tar Tar!!!mcMNDined on 4/19/2014The Steak Tar Tar is always fantastic and the "waffle chips" that they serve with it are genius, the perfect carrier! The beet salad was delicious and the peppery arugula paired nicely with the tar tar. The escargot left me a little disappointed, I would have liked it to have more garlic flavor, but it was still good, probably enough garlic for most people.Special Features:
- disappointednoysohapEDined on 4/19/2014I have dined at salut many times over the years and have enjoyed it in the past. Not outstanding food at any time, but I have always had a nice meal and great service. This experience was so disappointing for the entire family. Salads were poorly made and the ones with meat added had chicken that was not good, salmon that was way undercooked and tough steak. The only thing good of the meal was a hamburger. The server was trying to juggle too many tables and ended up not refilling our drinks. The chef was yelling orders at his staff and could be heard very clearly at our table. Not a great experience for us so we will not be returning any time soon.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Steak sandwich was OK but was overcooked (I ordered it medium rare and it came well done); burgers were very good and the scallops were fairly bland. All in all, the good was good but not as good as we have had at the Salut in Edina.
- The Night I Proposed1HappyCoupleFamilyDined on 4/18/2014The food, atmosphere and service were wonderful! The staff help me surprise my fiancee with a ring. We couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate our moment. Thank you to everyone that helped make it a special evening. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent flyerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2014I am a frequent diner at Salut and like them a lot. We had a group of people that they handled perfectly, the staff was friendly and the food terrific. Their pommes frites with béarnaise are a must have. One of my favorite meals is to share the fries with the table and order a bowl of their French onion soup for my main course. Or, get a friend to share pommes frites and the mussels with you. Save the baguette for the sauce, it is amazing.Special Features:
- BREAKFAST GET-TOGETHERRogerDined on 4/13/2014A group of four friends meets 4-5 times each year for breakfast or brunch on Sundays, and we had not ben to Salut for awhile so we decided to return. We were able to make a reservation for the preferred time. The initial difficulty was trying to find a place to park. I myself drove around the neighborhood fro over 20 minutes, but finally found a spot 1 1/2 blocks away. I realized that this was bound to happen given the time of our reservation. The menu had many options, and each of us found something we wanted. Our server was helpful and was able to explain when someone had a question about a menu item. The food was served hot, and the server kept our coffee cups filled. We had an enjoyable meal, and will likely return in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table For 6WildPartyDined on 4/11/2014We were seated immediately. I suggest the valet service for parking BTW. The food was excellent. The oysters are always fresh. Service is second to none. You can hit just about any food choice here, so there is no worries about someone in your party not finding something on the menu. This is a Parasole Holdings restaurant so the standards are always at higher level IMO and they are a great company to work for. Sign up for their frequent dinner club too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French ExperienceNatash21Dined on 4/11/2014Great seafood and cocktails. Atmosphere is lively not to loud that you can converse. Great service and entertainment. Its lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free?? Watch Out!KateJDined on 4/10/2014Took a new friend there for dinner - nice Grand Ave location and good menu that satisfies all preferences. Our server was intrusive! He pushed us repeatedly to order, giving us no time to chat or consider the options. It was comfortably full but there was no way on a weeknight he was going to turn our table. Worse - I am gluten-free, not by choice. The server was helpful in that regard and worked through the menu with me. When my soup arrived, it contained a large crouton. I asked the expeditor to please bring me a fresh cup without the crouton. When the soup was returned to me, it was obviously the SAME cup! He had merely removed the crouton. I assume it was the expeditor's fault. Train your staff! I will not return.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceellenDined on 4/10/2014Salut Americain--St. Paul is a good place to enjoy dining out "for no reason" or to celebrate (birthdays, anniversaries, new job, etc.) with friends and family. Food is exceptional. Service is excellent-- prompt attention, orders, delivery of food, etc., and just the right amount and spacing of attention to one's table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, knowledgablehgnatsDined on 4/6/2014Great atmosphere, knowledgable staff, and very good food. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raving FanFoodyDined on 4/6/2014I loved the food and the waiters were fantastic. We had the half seafood tower: outstanding! The Mussels: the wine sauce was so good! Memorable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DateJ4PhillipsDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner date! The food was excellent, service was attentive and the atmosphere was lively.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same old great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2014We love Salut, it's close by and the selection is always to our liking. The Morrocan meatballs were tasty and the salad I had were great. My wife's lobster thermidor (the Julia Child selection of the day) was excellent. We will be back, we eat her about 1x/monthSpecial Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2014Food was good, service was great!! Went at lunch for a group lunch with co-workers, had a reservation for 12:30 but ended up going early and was promptly seated and taken care of. Would go here again!Special Features:
- Fun...MsJuliaDined on 3/30/2014Lovely evening with dear friends from out of town. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014We enjoyed a great meal and the outstanding service!
- Such great service!katarina007VIPDined on 3/27/2014Just went for a quick bite after some spa services and it was really chill, relaxed, just what we needed. Service was awesome, will be back!Special Features:
- It was one of the best restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014It was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had in Saint Paul. You could have a normal voice level conversation without having to yell or talk loud over the music and you only heard the buzz of the closest tables. The appetizer "bacon kettle corn" was delicious and so was the walleye. The employees were very friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and co-workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen needs diligenceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/26/2014Ordered a caesar salad. Came with wonderful fresh anchovies but the romaine had obviously been chopped and reused from a prior day. Brown edges at all the cut marks. Credited from the bill but anyone that has worked a kitchen knows that this is a sign that other things are amiss. No apologies and an offer for something else only after my dining partner had finished her meal.
- Monday dinnernonnaDined on 3/24/2014We had a wonderful evening. The waiter was accommodating and was there when we needed him - but not hovering over us. Food was delicious, hot, and fresh. It was a Monday so the restaurant was not overly busy, which we enjoyed as we had a toddler with us. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable with great foodMexicanFoodLoverVIPDined on 3/23/2014We come to Salut regularly. The service is almost always wonderful (and this visit was no exception - Cory was superb). And while their regular menu items are perfectly reliable, they occasional have a stand out special. This visit it was the braised lamb with sauted gnocchi. To die for!Special Features:
- Food and Service Par ExcellencejakeVIPDined on 3/23/2014Had brunch at Salut in St. Paul and it was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. The service was outstanding as were the food.Special Features:
- I had the hangar steak frites,MonivaDined on 3/21/2014I had the hangar steak frites, and the steak was done to perfection (rare) and was meltingly tender and VERY flavorful. The fries were very good, and since we got the Bearnaise sauce to dip them in, excellent, even. We shared a mixed greens petite salad, which was good, but not great, and for 6.95 maybe could have been better. As it was, it felt overpriced. My husband remarked that although the steak was great, he felt the prices were high since all you got with the steak (and the steaks were smaller cuts) were fries (or mashed potatoes or salad.) 27.95 We had a glass of Malbec that was quite nice. But the service was great, attentive, accommodating, and helpful, such as pouring some wine from my husband's glass to one for me to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LupperOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014We went at 3pm so it wasn't busy. Staff was outstanding. Food was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.