3226 Magazine Street
New Orleans, LA 70115Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.salurestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5043715958x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner & Lunch Hours.
11:30 am to 10:00 pm Monday - Thursday
11:30 am to 11:00 pm Friday - Saturday
11:00 am to 10:00 pm Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dustin Brien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Pleasant
- Public Transit: Salu is located on Magazine Street. We are on the Corner of Pleasant & Magazine Street. We are a 2 blocks from Louisiana Ave.and we are located just five short blocks from the Saint Charles Street Car line.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking is available on Magazine Street and intersecting streets. Free Parking is available after 3:00 pm Monday - Friday and after 12:00 pm on Saturday, at the Gulf Coast Bank Parking Lot next to the restaurant.
A word from Salu
Amazing Food! Great Place for Cocktails and an AWESOME Wine List!! Great Spot for Entertaining! The Hottest Spot on Magazine Street!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salu reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I really wanted to like this place after seeing it to many times. But the fig and prosciutto flatbread was smothered with jam, which made it inedible and everything else was bland.
- Fun for happy hour but meh for foodChickabiddyDined on 10/15/2014Outdoor seating is great. The environment can be energized to crazy loud. It was a fun atmosphere when we were there for happy hour. The cocktails are unusual and good. The food was a big disappointment. I know it was happy hour, but the portion was puny and the mussels themselves were scrawny. There were even empty mussel shells in my dish. It is happy hour, so ok I get it, but it I were paying full freight for that dish, I would have been furious. The duck confit flatbread was also disappointing. It was overly sweet, probably because there was so little duck and cheese on the dish. I will give this place another chance because of the atmosphere and variety of cocktails, but will think twice about ordering food.Special Features:
- very pleasantmew2150Dined on 10/12/2014unpretentious restaurant that serves high-quality food at reasonable prices. we particularly enjoyed our waiter, Dwight.Special Features:
- Oktoberfest FUN!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I happened to see Salu was doing an Oktoberfest meal which is right up my alley. 4 courses, optional to beer pair. Everything was so great- truly such a treat! The soup was amazing, housemade sausage was great, they must have served an entire pig as an entree as I almost needed 2 to-go boxes, and perfect dessert pudding. I think every person that was working came to check on our table which was so gracious and fun! Get in to Salu before the end of October to try this feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flavorful mediterranean cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Tried this restaurant for the first time this past weekend and we were very happy with this choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salu was everything I read about!Luv2dineDined on 9/11/2014I checked Tripadvisor for great restaurants in the neighborhood we were staying. Salu came with great reviews on multiple sites. Our waitress, Shannon, was wonderful, friendly, and attentive. The food was phenomenal. The mussels with sausage were tasty, perfectly cooked although a couple still had a few grains of sand (grainy - yuck), our salad with beets was very refreshing and something different for us to try, the pork shoulder was impeccable and the serving enough for two (we shared). All in all, we had a lovely evening with wonderfully cooked food. Thank you for a lovely night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mum, Good.CajunangelieDined on 9/6/2014Food Good, Drink Good, Time Good. Smoke Bad. Yay, No Smoke!Special Features:
- DeliciousTkjacobsonDined on 9/5/2014We loved the food! It was fun and extra delicious! Unfortunately we were the only table there for the entire lunch service. I cannot imagine why becuase we had an excellent experience!Special Features:
- Kat115VIPDined on 9/2/2014Food was too sweet and there was food stuck to my menu (gross) almost left but the server was great and so was the wine. Overall- totally average.Special Features:
- Great happy hour but noisy and slowhungryforfoodDined on 8/22/2014Salu's weekday happy hour is better than most restaurant happy hours in New Orleans; to begin with, ALL of their alcoholic beverages are half off (this includes all pitchers and bottles of wine). They also have half off flat breads and mussels. The best part is that their happy hour ends at 7pm (most happy hours end at 6:00pm). On the other hand, the restaurant is very noisy; if you're looking for a quiet place to dine then Salu may not suit you. Also, service during the happy hour was slow; we had to wait over 30mins for the food to come to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a great timeLance932Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I took a friend out for dinner.everybody got what they wanted a mix of small and large and plates and it was a fun rainy Sunday night meslSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for FriendsBabyDined on 8/10/2014My two friends and I were in the mood for a tapas-style restaurant so that we could all share and taste various dishes... Salu was the PERFECT place for this. We ordered several small plates, foregoing entrees, and we had a wonderful dining experience. We ordered the Spanish style meatballs (INCREDIBLE), the lightly fried artichoke hearts (zesty and crunchy), the Salu Salad, the Mushroom Empeñadas (so flavorful), the olive tapenade, the oven pan bread, and a side of potatos Au Gratin. Everything on the table was delicious. Our waiter was extremely friendly and the experience was enjoyable! We will definitely recommend Salu and return in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ponyscottDined on 8/7/2014Great local find...not a tourist trap but a neighborhood restaurant for a relaxing dinner with some special adult beverages!Special Features:
- Great place!Mlucy910Dined on 8/3/2014Everything we tried was delicious and flavorful. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgable as well. Nice interior in wonderful area of magazine street. Only negative is the noise level, it seems to echo throughout so it's pretty loud inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodtes317Dined on 8/2/2014Food is consistently great, with nice portions for tapas.. the only negative is, it gets very loud! Service was awesome, that's saying a lot for NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magazine ExperienceNolaFireChiefDined on 7/31/2014Location is great, food is good (paella is fantastic and so is the Crab & Cremini flatbread) but noise level is so high you cannot have a conversation at your table - everyone at nearby tables are screaming at each other to be heard. A few acoustic panels would go a long way in making this a place I would add to my must go to list but the noise level is just not acceptable as it is now. We dined on Tuesday night and again on a Thursday night and it didn't seem to matter - the noise ruins the dining experience.Special Features:
- FunYUMMYVIPDined on 7/28/2014We had a good time with our waiter Dustin. Very personable and interesting. Helped us out in deciding what to get to eat. We enjoyed everything we ordered. We highly recommend eating here.Special Features:
- Large TapasDonnaDined on 7/25/2014Most tapas are meant for 1-2 people, each of these plates could easily service 3-4 people. Delicious and suitable for foodies of all kinds. Tasty mixed drink menu as well! Service was friendly. Although we had reservations, it still took 30 min to get seated. I'm not sure if it was a problem with staffing or what, but I kinda expected to get seated a little sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014The food was awful, with all the great places to eat in New Orleans don't bother with this one. I feel sorry for the servers because it is not their fault the food is bad & I'm sure most people tip based on their poor experience.
- Ridiculously good foodMslftrueDined on 7/17/2014A group of us locals, along with some out-of town friends all concurred - the food was outstanding! ! The shared small plates are a great way to personalize the dining experience and way more fun! Our server (Jeremy) was on his job and kept up with our polite yet needy group with a cool calm attitude and a warm smile. It was Thursday on which day they offer paella and throw in a free glass of house wine (very nice touch). Also on Thursdays is the music, which on this occasion was provided by a very talented acoustic guitarist. The noise level is high, which is why I marked the ambience down (it's tough to relax when you have to strain to hear your dining-mates). Oh yes...the Champagne Cocktail is a delicious choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salu is My Hot SpotAfrodityDined on 7/11/2014As always, my dining experience at Salu was absolutely fabulous. The service was great, and the food was amazing. I am a long-time attendee and fan of this restaurant, so I am always going to give it a great review; however, my dining partner for the evening, had never had a meal there before. They loved the tapas experience, and could stop raving about the Bacon-wrapped Prawns and Crab Cakes. I recommend this restaurant hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fun dining experience!DesignergirlVIPDined on 7/3/2014Once again, Salu made us feel like welcome and valuable patrons. Food was excellent- we both had flatbreads. The crab and crimini flatbread was great! We arrived at 6:45 during happy hour do our food and drinks were all half price! Nice! I highly recommend giving Salu a try if you haven't already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 247 reviews are from the Salu reviews archive.
- dinner reviewfoodieDined on 6/12/2014Food was over-priced for the quality. The spanish tapas were not that great - heard it was better than it actually was.Special Features:
- Great 1st time visitNolaBabiDined on 5/24/2014The food was really good. The atmosphere was really nice and the service was great. The wait staff, hostess and managers were all welcoming. I'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to restaurantDesignergirlVIPDined on 5/24/2014Salu will be our go to place for a quick meal within walking distance of home as well as a place to bring visiting guests for a casual and pleasant evening. Chris is "our" waiter. He has elevated the service at Salu from average to near perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyXGXGDined on 5/23/2014The food was good and the staff is friendly. But one problem was that after I asked our waiter for a second glass of wine, he didn't bring it to our table until about 15 minutes later. By that time, I had finished eating my dinner. But that's not what makes me never want to go there again. The biggest problem is the noise level. It is so loud in there that my boyfriend and I had to speak in raised voices and even then we had to keep saying "What?" throughout dinner. The noise actually bothered my ears and my boyfriend, who is not sensitive to noise like I am, said the same thing. Don't go to Salu if you want to talk to the other people at your table. I do not recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Creative menu and friendly staffLynnrubyDined on 5/17/2014We had three generations for a special dinner, and everyone found appealing items on this creative and diverse menu. The food was delicious and service was friendly and prompt. It is a little noisy for special occasions, but it was a fun and memorable experience. This was my third visit to Salu, and I look forward to my next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time...DesignergirlVIPDined on 5/15/2014The food was perfectly prepared and delivered to our table in a timely planned manner. Spaced out each pair of small plates. Service was top notch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas tastingNOLAFoodieDined on 5/10/2014Whenever I go to Salu, I always order off the Tapas section and share with everyone. Great way to taste several items. Great food and atmosphere. Always look forward to returning. Salads, sliders, mushroom empanadas, grilled brie, lamb lollipops, all great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Love this place. Always good food, good music, very good service. feel like having a party at friend's homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu selectionsDesignergirlVIPDined on 4/26/2014Very good variety of small plates. We had the roasted beet salad which was delicious! Crispy artichokes were great! Empanadas were too bland for me. Lamp lollipops were good. Eat outside for good people watching.Special Features:
- Awesome TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/23/2014Had a great lunch here, group of 8 with 2 children (5 and 9), personable service and each dish we ordered was delicious.Special Features:
- A local FavoriteStephenDined on 4/21/2014I go to Salu about over other month to monthly. In a city like New Orleans, there's tons of options for dinner. But Salu fits the way I like to eat. I love coming there with a few friends, order some drinks, about 7 or more small plates, and we all pick at the plates and order more of the ones we enjoy. The lamb lollipops are great, so are the mussels and oysters. The pocket bread looks impressive when it comes out, and overall you can't go wrong with the menu. So over all, one of my favorite picks for a casual night out.Special Features:
- Menu has improvedCalWVIPDined on 4/20/2014The menu and food are better. The location is fine. They just can't seem to make it all come together. Our server bowed and scrapped to the man and our table and practically ignored the two women actually, the women paid the check-- surpriseSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014We have eaten here several times and love it. Prefer regular daily menu over the Sunday BrunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greathw86Dined on 4/5/2014Salu is a great place for small plates and cocktails with friends. We really enjoyed the cheese plate, broiled oysters and flatbreads.Special Features:
- Great scallops and everythingwrichardjrDined on 4/4/2014Great scallops and everything else that we had as well but it was (last Friday night) the loudest restaurant I remember being in. But we will return for the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls NightNatalieDined on 3/14/2014Great all around. Incredible food and venue. Loved all the different food options. I think between 4 of us we shared at least 12 dishes and loved them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good, except the flatbreadLondonDateDined on 3/6/2014I went here on a date with my boyfriend. We were able to enjoy the happy hour specials. The cocktails were delicious and, at happy hour, well priced. The mussels were good and largely portioned. We took forever to decide what we wanted (there were so many delicious sounding share plates) and our server was absolutely wonderful. Knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating, and he certainly added to our dining experience. We got the pumpkin risotto; you MUST get the pumpkin risotto. Probably the best food I've eaten in 6 months. The fig and prosciutto flatbread was VERY disappointing. Far too much brown sugar which overpowered all the other delicious ingredients. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and a fun areaAnonymousVIPDined on 2/28/2014Tried this place on a recommendation and we were glad we did. We got several of the small plates and enjoyed a variety of tasty dishes. Fun place for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.