Salty's on the Columbia
3839 NE Marine Dr.
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Salty's on the Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saltys.com/columbia
- Phone: 5032884444x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Mon-Fri 11:15am-3:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays 10:00am-1:00pm seating
BRUNCH: Sundays 9:00am-1:30pm seating
DINNER: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-8:30pm ; Fri-Sat 4:00pm-9:00pm ; Sunday Dinner 4:30-8:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Mon-Fri 3:00pm-6:00pm ; Sat 4:00pm-6:00pm ; Sun 4:30pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Josh Gibler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Freshest Northwest seafood, prime steaks, friendly service. View Salty's menus online at www.saltys.com/portland/menus.asp
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Event Space features panoramic views of the Columbia River and Mt Hood, perfect for casual to formal events. Our Catering Director works closely with you to create your picture-perfect event. We offer breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, buffets & more.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Attwood 5032822205x4108
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fridays 7:00pm - closing
A word from Salty's on the Columbia
Located on the Columbia River with sweeping views, Salty’s wins annual awards for Portland’s best seafood, best view restaurant, best outdoor dining. Whether dressed up or casual, in the dining room, on the deck, or in private dining rooms, guests love Salty’s for fresh Northwest seafood, wild Alaskan salmon and halibut in season, live Dungeness crab, fresh Northwest oysters, clams and mussels, USDA prime charbroiled steaks, gourmet lunch salads and sandwiches and refreshing creative cocktails. Live jazz in the Café-Bar on Fridays. Happy Hour is 7 days a week in the Café-Bar only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Salty's on the Columbia - Best Restaurants in North Portland ›
Salty's on the Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (289)special occasion (210)great for outdoor dining (187)romantic (140)great for brunch (133)good for groups (96)fit for foodies (88)great for lunch (76)notable wine list (53)kid-friendly (48)hot spot (32)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (11)Show More
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014It was our anniversary and felt Saltys would be ideal with a beautiful view. The view was great and so was the service. Our food was delivered cold and portions were insulting for the price. We will not return.Special Features:
- Perfect BrunchTheCarseysDined on 8/31/2014A great place to eat and enjoy a friend's company. More than enough food choices. High quality hot food. Fresh cold items. Great server. Beautiful view, we sat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldie52OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We went for brunch on a gift card but we will definitely go back on our own dime ( or about 500 dimes each).Yes,it's expensive but we feel that it's well worth the money,especially for a special occasion.The food is wonderful and the selection is comparable to the best buffets in Las Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ejmsbenzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Service is great. Really great. Very nice ambience. We come here every time we are in Portland. We live in Southern Oregon. Would like to see more shrimp as well as scallop choices.Special Features:
- Second bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014The appetizer and desert were wonderful but the entrees left a LOT to be desired for a upscale restaurant. Both of our entrees were very dried out and seemed to be left either under a heat lamp or in a holding oven way too long. Dried out and rubbery seafood. If this was my first bad experience I could play it off as a bad night but this is the second, and last, time we have had the same problem. Changes need to be made to the kitchen in order to improve the dining experience. When leaving, the valet brought my car but failed to set the parking break almost causing a head on collision as I was trying to jump into my car to stop it from rolling.
- Wondeful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014All in all it was a great brunch experience. The selection was outstanding. Great service. I highly recommend Salty's brunch to everyone. The never ending mimosas were wonderful. We sure got our money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeheather0313Dined on 8/29/2014Love everything about this place. Even felt welcome with our infant baby! Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We went early and did happy hour before our dinner reservation and it turned out that the happy hour was actually better than the dinner.Special Features:
- Classic Placejasper89Dined on 8/27/2014Salty’s was fantastic. You definitely want to get a reservation. But, it would be worth the wait if you forget to. I told my wife and friends, “When the squash side dish tastes like a dessert, you know the food is great!”Special Features:
- A "must" for special timesluvportlanddiningDined on 8/27/2014My husband and I have truly enjoyed our times at Salty's on the Columbia. We have celebrated anniversaries, birthdays, and no-reason occasions. Food, service, atmosphere hard to top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on the deckMiloVIPDined on 8/27/2014We have been here many times and it is always great. We always seem to have the Caesar salad, harvest salad, chowder, and key lime pie. As always it is wonderful, and even better outside on the deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice viewChristinaVIPDined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Salty's. The view was good, food was good, atmosphere was good. ... you get the picture. What was missing was that extra little oomph that takes the palate from good to great. But, that being said, it was a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Balmy Summer EveningBobbyGDined on 8/26/2014What a treat to rediscover this Gem on the Columbia. We sat outside at 7:15pm and watched the sunset. The glass walls provide a complete view of the marinas and boats sailing on the river, the colored spinnakers full from the warm, balmy wind. Our server was gracious and delightful. I dropped the hint that it was my birthday, and after dinner she brought be a slice of delicious cake on the house. I ordered a giant fresh lobster and it was delicious. I order a whole lobster only every few years, so this was a rare treat. I told the server that the lobster brains (as well as the roe) are a delicacy and that the chef should not scrap them in the preparation. She apologized. A lovely evening...Special Features:
- Fabulous food, great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014I was delighted in every aspect of Salty's. The food was terrific and the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:
- DisappointingswimswithdolphinsDined on 8/25/2014I have been to Salty's several times before but this time I was very disappointed. I ordered halibut which was prepared with an overly heavy sauce and chewy mushrooms. The halibut was tough and it was difficult to enjoy the taste of the fish because of the overpowering sauce. The entrée was small, no vegetables, and too expensive. My companion ordered a salmon dish which she enjoyed, but again the portion was quite small. We each had an entrée and one glass of wine (no appetizers, salad, or dessert) and the bill was $108. It would have been easier to accept such a large bill if the food had been better.Special Features:
- Cherish1991Dined on 8/24/2014This was a very special occasion as I do not to see my Love every often . So I surpriised him with thsi and it was wonderful. After 47 years , I can still do something special. As he takes Photos , It was so nice to sit outside. Thank you for the memory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/23/2014Dinner at Salty's on the Comubia was most enjoyable, as the food and service were very good and the Columbia River view is awesome. My family enjoyed Caesar salad, coho salmon, and fillet mignon as well as the chocolate torte desert. The wait staff was very attentive, and prices while a bit high were reasonable considering the restaurant's setting. We will definitely return to Salty's when back in the Pacific Northwest.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!Primetime32Dined on 8/23/2014Loved everything about it, will definitely be back real soon. I will also pin this in for Me & the Wife to come at least once a month. Happy Hour will be included as well 😃Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BuffetIloveSaltysForSure1Dined on 8/23/2014If you love seafood, then Salty's at the Columbia is by far the best for the Saturday and Sunday buffet brunch. They also have all of the regular breakfast buffet items, but the seafood is the best in town in my opinion. Great dessert options as well and if you're over 21, add the bottomless mimosa to your breakfast feast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening at Salty'sCHLNDined on 8/22/2014We had a tremendous experience at Salty's on the Columbia on 8/22, celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary. Manager Laura was so gracious and visited with us as we were seated at her favorite table, corner, window, view both directions. Could not have been finer. Staff had placed floral arrangement I had ordered on table together with a gift for my wife I had dropped off earlier in the day. Balloons from Salty's tied to a chair. Everything looked great. Laura introduced us to one of her best servers, Josh, a high school teacher who works weekends and summers at Salty's. He could not have been better. A delightful person, as was Laura. Next a fantastic dinner and again, it could not have been better. We both had Alaskan halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltys 2014?annualSS252Dined on 8/21/2014Great spot! Food is great sometimes and crap the other ? Probably cause they are so busy? But we dropped. $500 on dinner and expect it to be great every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceJenkDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I had a very enjoyable lunch. It is near the Portland airport and a great place to stop after a long plane ride from the east coast. The service at lunch was friendly and attentive, the food very good. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Best SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014I must say, I've eaten lots of seafood in my time and I believe I have found my "go-to" place if I ever ate in Portland again. Wife and I went for our eighth year anniversary and would come back here again and again since the food was fresh, the ambience was awesome and our server was great. We also came back for brunch and it was simply terrific!Special Features:
- Local's know... your should tooKurtDined on 8/19/2014When you want really good seafood and I mean REALLY good, this is well worth a visit. Fresh seafood, creative specials, tasty appetizers, just a great all around place to get a great meal. I did not partake of the wine list but it looked extensive and other patrons seemed to be enjoying very fine wine with their meals. They mentioned the Sunday brunch is now also on Saturday and after we feasted on crab, we put that brunch on our to do list, or more like MUST DO list...Special Features:
- Poor food outstanding serviceJackipainterDined on 8/18/2014This was our first visit to Salty's and although my dinner was not good my husband's salmon dinner was excellent. I asked our wonderful server if the restaurant didn't have scallops. She checked with the chef and he said that he could prepare scallops. I did get the scallops with asparagus and mashed potatoes. The scallops were small and dry with no sauce whatsoever. The grilled asparagus and the potatoes were dry. Thank you to the manager who did not charge for my dinner and thank you to our server for the cake and champaign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensivediningDined on 8/17/2014Too pricey for the quality of food. Food was expensive for the quality of good you get.Special Features:
- Awesome views on the riverbyoselfVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great service and food. Arrived early and sat upstairs in the bar and had a drink and enjoyed company. Jack was our waiter, very attentive, great attitude. Andrew was our waiter downstairs in the restaurant, he too was great. Excellent food presentation as well as taste.Special Features:
- stick with inexpensive menu itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We thought Salty's was ok. Nothing to write home about. Great burger and amazing beer-battered fries, but the expensive mixed drinks were light on the alcohol (not worth the price). Bread course was not outstanding but just ok. I was expecting to be blown away but found everything to be average tasting and therefore extremely overpriced. Our server was nice but the bartender was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood with a ViewTwoBrownsDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed very special evening with delicious salmon and halibut dishes, a great wine and a priceless view of the Columbia River at sunset.Special Features:
- Saturday brunch with reservationLeisuremanDined on 8/16/2014Arrived on time and took the hostess at least 10 mins to seat us. Fortunately our waiter provided attentive service from start to finish. The food selection was abit disappointing. Small shrimp (51-60 size), tiny Manila clam, mostly 2" cocktail oyster on half shell. The omelet and pasta station definitely not up to the health code requirement. The food containers were not properly placed in ice. Some of them were just hanging onto each others with visible air gap between the containers and the ice below. The meat carving station definitely need some better services. The carver looked distracted at times as if it was a bother to carve a slice of prime rib or ham. What a shame, the prime rib and the ham were both really excellent.Special Features:
- First Time Here, But Not the LastLuvingFoodDined on 8/16/2014Great Saturday brunch. Excellent view and food. We (group of 5) had a wonderful time here to celebrate finding out the sex of our new granddaughter to be born in December. We will be back again.Special Features:
- celebrate anniversary in styleLovesredwineDined on 8/15/2014Great setting overlooking the river, great service, great food, and live jazz music starting at 7 pm on Friday's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty's staff saves the dinnerTarheelgirlDined on 8/14/2014Beautiful setting by the river,amazing Maryhill red blend, sweetest melt in your mouth lobster tail and perfectly grilled shrimp ever. Service that is off the charts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingluv2dineDined on 8/14/2014The view is unsurpassed and the staff are welcoming and helpful but we have had 2 recent disappointing visits. At brunch on July 26th we were unlucky enough to go through the buffet following a group of 250 guests from a wedding party that descended from the event room. Although the staff tried to replenish the clean plates and food they were no match for this huge group and those of us paying full price in the restaurant were the losers. I spoke to the manager and he gave me a gift card for a return visit. On the second visit we ordered the open faced crab melt. This consisted of a thick slice of toast, a scattering of crab, and a slice of tomato swimming in a creamy cheese sauce. There was too little crab for the price.Special Features:
- annivmadefunDined on 8/13/2014The view & staff makes Saltys a great dining pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to unwindJurisDined on 8/11/2014Great place to unwind and watch the river. Nice diversity of food on the menu, great local wines at reasonable mark-up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We can't wait to go again!!!!foodiefamDined on 8/11/2014We were very pleased with the layout of the restaurant. It was an abnormal 100 degree day in Portland, so we sat inside. There were toddlers on the patio, and they were obviously comfortable. The food was fantastic, best clam chowder I have ever had, even better than Mo's! My daughter ordered halibut with mushrooms, she said it was divine, devoured the whole thing, large proportion! My husband had the hamburger with coconut tiger prawns, enamored with his dish. Cocktails were notable. My daughter had the lemon drop martini, tasted just like good lemonade, no strong alcohol taste, (great) and my husband ordered the huckleberry martini, 2 out of 3 of us thought it tasted like koolaid, didn't like. We will definitely return. 'Special Features:
- Still Great After All These YearsTomSVIPDined on 8/10/2014A family favorite for decades, So many memorable events have been held at Salty's we cannot count them. We live in the Boston area so we appreciate the fine fish and seafood, but there are nice options for chicken, beef and pork as well as vegan. Salty's on the Columbia truly has a setting, menu and view for everyone.Special Features:
- Outstanding Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014A wonderful assortment of Pacific Northwest dishes along with traditional brunch fare. The food was delicious and beautifully displayed. Excellent!Special Features:
- Great Food. Awesome View. But...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Have been to Salty's a couple times over he years. What you remember and go there for is the terrific scenic view on the river and the great food. What you easily forget is the expensive prices and inconsistent service. Dinner and drinks are at the high end of Portland's restaurants and service is hit and miss. To be fair, our waitress in the bar, fantastic. Waiter for dinner, not so much. But his impositioned demeanor was pale to our perfectly cooked meals of steak, crab, and lobster and perfect views of sailboats on the river only yards from us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.