Salty's on the Columbia
3839 NE Marine Dr.
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Salty's on the Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saltys.com/columbia
- Phone: 5032884444x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Mon-Fri 11:15am-3:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturdays 10:00am-1:00pm seating
BRUNCH: Sundays 9:00am-1:30pm seating
DINNER: Mon-Thurs 4:00pm-8:30pm ; Fri-Sat 4:00pm-9:00pm ; Sunday Dinner 4:30-8:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Mon-Fri 3:00pm-6:00pm ; Sat 4:00pm-6:00pm ; Sun 4:30pm-6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Josh Gibler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Freshest Northwest seafood, prime steaks, friendly service. View Salty's menus online at www.saltys.com/portland/menus.asp
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Event Space features panoramic views of the Columbia River and Mt Hood, perfect for casual to formal events. Our Catering Director works closely with you to create your picture-perfect event. We offer breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, buffets & more.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Attwood 5032822205x4108
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Fridays 7:00pm - closing
A word from Salty's on the Columbia
Located on the Columbia River with sweeping views, Salty’s wins annual awards for Portland’s best seafood, best view restaurant, best outdoor dining. Whether dressed up or casual, in the dining room, on the deck, or in private dining rooms, guests love Salty’s for fresh Northwest seafood, wild Alaskan salmon and halibut in season, live Dungeness crab, fresh Northwest oysters, clams and mussels, USDA prime charbroiled steaks, gourmet lunch salads and sandwiches and refreshing creative cocktails. Live jazz in the Café-Bar on Fridays. Happy Hour is 7 days a week in the Café-Bar only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Salty's on the Columbia - Best Restaurants in North Portland ›
Salty's on the Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
301 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (254)special occasion (193)great for outdoor dining (168)great for brunch (123)romantic (123)fit for foodies (96)good for groups (96)great for lunch (64)notable wine list (54)kid-friendly (47)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (25)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (11)Show More
- Good food but a bit too priceyRosieposieDined on 10/20/2014The main courses start at $30.00 and uo and not a huge selection considering the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- october brunchTysons57VIPDined on 10/19/2014had a great brunch on a beautiful day. great service, good food, soaking in the sun on the deck. will definitely return.Special Features:
- Well Known Specialtyfood4allDined on 10/17/2014Salty's is well known for its excellent dinning. Great for a special occasion, summer and spring has the best seating but fall and winter have indoor ambiance as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood, attentive serviceOregonTranslationDined on 10/13/2014Totally impressed with the attentive service at Salty's. Gorgeous view and scrumptious selection. Steelhead, ribeye, lavender or habanero infused cocktails. I drooled over the dessert menu but will have to return for that on on a Friday night with live jazz music. The weekend brunch with crab and crepes also sounded delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Portland GemRichardnRebekahDined on 10/10/2014Our dinning experience at Saltys was fantastic. I took my wife for her birthday. They made it very special for us with best seats in the house and free birthday cake. We ordered two lobster tail dinners which were perfect. Our drinks and everything could not of been better.Special Features:
- Great view, but you pay for it!PacNWFoodieDined on 10/8/2014I celebrated my birthday at Salty's and was seated in the perfect spot for the best view. Except the large loud party that was next to us. The food was good, but the price is definitely steep. Especially for how many amazing restaurants there are in Portland. This is at the top for price, but food quality did not match it. The view and atmosphere is what you are paying for. Good service though!!!Special Features:
- Birthday LunchjudyDined on 10/7/2014This is my favorite place to celebrate my birthday every year. The weather and the food were perfect. Service was quick and efficient as usual. Hostess was friendly. The only negative ever is the planes going over.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014Always a pleasure to dine at Salty's. I dine there every time I am in Portland and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceHoodyDined on 10/5/2014Exceptional service, great atmosphere and huge selection make it a winners choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveKarenDined on 10/4/2014I was very disappointed in our meals. I ordered Crab stuffed prawns. The were hard and dried out. The crab was a puree dollop about the size of my thumb. Three of them were served with about a cup of rice, goat cheese and a slice of tomato for $33 . Others ordered Fish and chips for $19. One medium sized piece of fish coated in an inch thick batter with a few fries. I will say thew dessert was great. I won't go back.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!whatever23Dined on 10/4/2014Took my wife here for a birthday brunch and was not disappointed! The large variety of food was excellent and the mimosas were bottomless. All of the waitstaff was friendly, they brought me things I needed before I even had to ask (bucket, butter, and cracker for my crab legs), and our mimosas never sat empty. We will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed.....EllenVIPDined on 10/2/2014We chose Salty's as our last dinner on a 2-week trip to the west coast. We chose it was because it was near our hotel & also offered a great view. The reviews I read were mixed, but I decided to take a chance--my mistake. The tables have very large bases making it impossible to pull your chair close. I tried putting the chair legs on the base but that made the chair wobbly.The restaurant staff was very friendly, but service was a bit slow. we both ordered the salmon special which sounded yummy in the oral description. The salmon portion was on the small side, especially for the high price. There was a huge amount of risotto--more than double what either of us could eat. Perhaps they were trying to make up for the small amount of salmon.Special Features:
- TXJudiVIPDined on 10/1/2014Tables very close together so very noisy. Service rather slow, food was cold.
- Fantastic SeafoodVisitorfromCADined on 9/29/2014After eating at several excellent restaurants over the past 10 days, we voted Salty's as definitely having the best seafood and it was a tie for the best restaurant overall. Great views. We'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good Service and Food.ObsessedwithMilesDined on 9/28/2014Came here for a special family dinner. We weren't concerned too much about costs in this case. The service and the food was good. The drinks were tasty. The views are nice. The restaurant carpet and finishes are showing some age and could use a refresh. I think the prices are slightly above what they should be and that would keep me from being a regular despite the fact I think this is a nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickygirlDined on 9/28/2014The brunch is expensive.... But well worth it. Outdoor seating & view is beautiful. Very nice staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty's on the RiverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The view of the River was nice and the food was good. Would go again.Special Features:
- Classic Salty'sloloDined on 9/27/2014This was my first visit to Salty's on the Columbia. The restaurant was very clean but the tables were a bit close to each other. I had the filet with truffle fries. I didn't note any truffle at all so was disappointed. The steak was pretty good. Nice texture but not Ruth's Chris. My husband had the swordfish. It was a bit dry. They have a great view of the Columbia River which is the main draw I must say. They've got a nice cocktail and wine list. I will definitely try them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expectedbetterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014A whiskey sour is supposed to be sour with a hint of sweet, not sweet with a hint of sour. The Seafood Chowder with Andouille was tepid, had no noticeable seafood save two chewy clam slivers and no discernible andouille. Too much potato, gloopy gelatinous consistency, probably thickened with corn-starch. Seafood Grill/Dirty Rice: Small chewy, over cooked scallops with very little flavor, may have been shark meat. Overcooked shrimp with charred edges, but colorless/flavorless main body. Fish that had absolutely no char and no flavor, not even salt. Rice grains were bent and split making it mushy. None of the hallmarks of Cajun cooking. No trinity, invisible andouille and no spicing save, what was it, tomato paste? Ugh...and it wasn't cheap.
- Hawaiian Luau with style!PortlandnativeVIPDined on 9/23/2014We went to Salty's Hawaiian Luau and it was so much fun! They had wonderful island entertainment as well as food that was so delicious! Loved the upstairs view of the Columbia River and the staff was so nice! Manager Karen was there when another table had a rather belligerent diner as well as Jake who handled the unruly patron quite well. Too many mai tai's I think! All in all...a great time for us which made it seem like we were on a tropical island. Love the place and we will be back!Special Features:
- SRLSRVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very good food, but the service was terrible. It looks like that they were understaffed or poorly staffed for a Sunday evening. Recommended by our hotel but after we talked about the service, off their list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewRp930VIPDined on 9/18/2014Fried artichokes are great. Meal was very good. Service was also great. Couldn't ask for more. I would return again.Special Features:
- great place, view, occasionMrSalsa123Dined on 9/16/2014wife pasta was great,,,mine the night special was not good, salmon was not cooked all the way, too small portion....clam chowder could use more flavor, had better,,Special Features:
- disappointingFey0480Dined on 9/15/2014I read this place was romantic. It is not. The comfortable chairs are kept a distance from the table because of the large table base's. The tables are already wide. Hence, unless you are over 200 pounds you can not get close to speak softly. The other patrons had to compensate with the volume of their voices as well. After dark, the inside lights were not dimmed, creating a harsh glare when trying to take in the view. I had calamari for an appetizer and the scallop special for dinner . Both were over cooked. The calamari was fried to the point of rubber, though the crust wasn't burnt, only the oil could be tasted. Friends have said good things about this place, mostly the bottomless mimosas... Stick to the alcohol and shell fish!Special Features:
- Bland food, nice viewenjoyeatingDined on 9/14/2014Salmon had absolutely no taste; fish and chips were just okay. The portions of the entrees were very small. Firecracker prawns was drowning in hot sauce - too hot to enjoy.Special Features:
- I eat anythingMarcVIPDined on 9/14/2014This is the first time I ever sent food back. It was 5:15pm on a Sunday evening and not very crowded. To their credit the staff were most gracious, recommended anoth selection and delivered it quickly. There were two of us. I mus say that even though the other guests meal was not sent back, it was not up to the ususl standard and price point for this established restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor seating is horribleStridDined on 9/13/2014We sat outside and the plastic chairs were a joke. Also the service was very poor. Prices way to high.Special Features:
- This Is IT!DeanoDined on 9/12/2014Salty's offers a beautiful dinning experience! The views of the Columbia, combined with the excellent food and service, you can't go wrong with this choice. I've eaten at over 100 seafood places and this one is tops.Special Features:
- love the view butfuntimesDined on 9/11/2014loved the view, We came to celebrate our 28th anniversary and listened to the squeal of the ice machine all night. We had a good view of the yacht club and little view of the Columbia. We were treated nicely and enjoyed ourselves. We loved the food and will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rock fishOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014The rock fish was delicious and of course the view of the Columbia RiveR was great
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014The food is outstanding, the service is excellent and the view cannot be beat. Salty's is the the right place for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Brunch with Views!!PastrychefcarlaDined on 9/7/2014All Sunday brunches should strive to achieve Salty's level of service, quality and timing. From the free valet, to the bottomless mimosas, everything is timed for your the diner's ultimate enjoyment. I took my cousins who were visiting from out of town, big Italian soccer players with healthy appetites. The food was exceptional and prepared with much skill and care. There was never an empty item. Oysters, Prime Rib, Crab, shrimp, salmon, a host of breakfast items and a omlet station. Don't forget the desserts! I'm a pastry chef and I was impressed. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please Go Hungry!!AboutTownVIPDined on 9/7/2014Salty's is a restaurant that sits on the picturesque Columbia River. It was approx. 20 minutes drive from downtown Portland. We arrived and did self parking and at the time there was ample parking. We had 10:30 reservations. We opted for indoor seating as it was quite warm, but our table was on the window which was great. The buffet was outstanding. I've been to many buffets and this ranks at the top. It is not only the quantity of food but the quality. Also, the staff are so friendly when you are standing for omlette, crepe or what have you. Our waiter was exceptionally friendly. Although the price is not cheap, if you are willing to spend a little more it's well worth it. But go hungry because there is just so much to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good - Poor qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014We were excited to eat here after reading some reviews. The buffet is very poor quality. Sounds good when you hear about it, but the low quality of food makes it hard to enjoy (frozen baby shrimp for shrimp and grits, chewy old mushrooms in omelets, chewy low grade beef for prime rib, overly dressed salads, etc.) If your goal is to just stuff yourself then this is your place, although you can do that at other places for less than $44 per person.
- Good food but priceyMiddleAgeGalDined on 9/5/2014For the price of the food a salad and soup should be included in the entree. My husband had the Ahi tuna it was good but smaller than a deck of cards and very pricey. Thank goodness he bought "separately" a bowl of clam chowder otherwise he would have still been Hungary.Special Features:
- Good ambiencekokoDined on 9/5/2014A view from 2nd floor close to a river was so beautiful. Distance of each table was appropriate so we don't need to care next customers. Working staffs were friendly and explained their menu in detail. All taste and appearance of seafood meal was excellent. Unfortunately, air conditioner was too strong for me. But, on the whole, I'll be going to visit again!Special Features:
- Salty'a loveCoriDined on 9/4/2014Absolutely LOVE this restaurant..beautiful location on the Columbia River also a cool view of the landing strip of Portland international airport...food is fabulous and very long wine list. Friday nights offer 2 difference happy hours..one early evening and the other late evening with live Jazz with Mel Brown!Special Features:
- Special occasionYummyDined on 9/3/2014Had a wonderful anniversary dinner at Salty's. Staff all friendly & made us feel special. Even got a special piece of white chocolate mousse cake for our Anniv. Spendier than we usually spend going out, but well worth it got a special occasion. Quality of food met the expectations & view & ambience is wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to ItalyBeachhouseDined on 9/2/2014Leaving for Italy in the morning staying at a hotel near by chose Salty's for our bon voyage dinner. Great drinks, appetizers and dinner. The service was timely, and the best we have had in Portland. Will be back in six weeks for another wonderful meal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty's LunchWildHareVIPDined on 9/2/2014Great location and even better food. Had lunch on a sunny day and enjoyed the view but was surprised by how great the meal was. Will add this to a list of go to places.Special Features: