Salty Sow - Cactus
4801 E Cactus Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Salty Sow - Cactus
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltysow.com/
- Phone: 6027959463x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Happy Hour Daily 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nox Ybarra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music on our patio Thursday 6:30pm-9:30pm ; Friday and Saturday 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
A word from Salty Sow - Cactus
Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salty Sow - Cactus reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (67)good for groups (48)hot spot (37)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (23)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Perfect mealHungry2VIPDined on 10/16/2014Brussels sprouts Caesar salad is unique and delicious, and the eggplant frites are an amazing surprise. My husband said the halibut preparation was the best he ever had. Add the phenomenal selection of Arizona craft beers, and you have the perfect meal.Special Features:
- Perfect patioOhioansDined on 10/16/2014We loved the patio. Food was very good as we enjoyed happy hour.Special Features:
- Not for dieters or cardiac patientsLubuDined on 10/11/2014The menu was euphemistically described by our waitstaff as "comfort food." It became evident this was code for "fat-laden." As such, it was very tasty, but it was difficult to find menu items such as steamed vegetables or green salad to offset the indulgences. Even the french fries were cooked in duck fat. A lovely (though noisy) place if you are genetically inclined to live into your 90s. Otherwise, you may want to seek a restaurant that strikes a balance in the nutritional value of its food offerings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mvlepistoDined on 10/11/2014We were recommended to Salty Sow by a friend, and man, was he right! The food was delicious, the restaurant was nice, and we left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #9 St. Nick FolesLoveYountvilleDined on 10/3/2014Great food, fresh, tasty & obviously centered on pork. We had great service on a Friday night & they had some really good live entertainment. Lots of fun specialty drinks and a small but decent wine list. Energetic restaurant, patio & bar area......fun & upbeat.....not really geared towards a quiet romantic dinner. No complaints, will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that great.EnterReviewNameHereDined on 9/28/2014I went here with my dad for his birthday. I got the roasted porchetta pork special, and my dad got the double cheeseburger. One of the patties he got was very undercooked. For me, the pork didn't seem to really have that much flavor, and almost all of it was just fat. I know that's usual for pork, but there was barely any meat. On the plus side, the arnold palmer I got was good, and the waiter would check up on us every time he passed by, as well as refill the water and my drink. So, there was good service.
- Dinner with friendsLuv2dineDined on 9/25/2014This was our first time. The food was excellent must try the deviled eggs and the beef shoulder melts in your mouth. Our waitress was excellent never made us feel rushed. All around it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014If you like to try something new then you should come to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChachiDined on 9/21/2014Food was exceptional and the service by Stephanie was great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJasonGDined on 9/20/2014While some of the dishes were very good, a couple were a letdown. Coupled with the mediocre service and the overall experience won't have us coming back. Good: Pork Belly Bad:Duck Fat fries. Tasted like fries you would get anywhere and the egg was over cooked. Our server didn't come to check on us for over 20 minutes after our appetizers were served, which we would have sent back had she been there to check on us. Also, our drinks were empty when the entres arrived. It took another 10 minutes to order a drink at which point our food was getting cold.Special Features:
- Salty Sow rocksJackDined on 9/20/2014Great food, ambiance, service, but noise level made conversation nearly impossible. We went on a Saturday night — maybe weeknights might be more reasonable for the noise level. Half the table took advantage of the restaurant week three-course menu, and were delighted with every dish. The other half chose individual dishes — one even had two appetizers — and every one was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fritters and Bone Marrow dishFood25addictDined on 9/20/2014The fritters were surprisingly good. Born and raise in the south, it hard to find a restaurant that can cook a good southern dish. The Louisianan Fritters came to me hot, crunchy and full of flavor. Another dish I enjoyed was the bone marrow. The presentation of the dish was nice; with the pesto sauce under the bone and a side of toast. I wish I had more of the bone marrow, I was scraping for more. Stephanie from Minnesota was very nice and knowledgeable about the menu. Her recommendations were very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsthreedognightVIPDined on 9/20/2014We made reservations, and when we got there, there were many tables available in the restaurant with AC, however, they put us on the patio. I asked why we could not have a table in the restaurant with AC and they said all were reserved. So beware, you may have to be on the patio in the summer without AC in Arizona even with reservations.Special Features:
- a good find!craigDined on 9/20/2014the food was very good, lots of different seating with views into the kitchen, large tables and outside patio with live music. good happy hour prices.Special Features:
- Never been disappointed!ChowDined on 9/20/2014This was my fourth time dining at the Salty Sow and will continue to be a loyal patron. We had a party of six on Saturday and everyone loved their meal and the service! However, I do miss the duck and wish it was back on the menu!!Special Features:
- High Quality and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Beef shoulder is amazing, as are the desserts. Was here for the restaurant week menu and everything on it was great. My wife had the trout.Special Features:
- Love this placeRettaDined on 9/12/2014Salty Sow has become my go-to place when I want a great meal not too far from home. The food is always good and the service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food... Great Happy Hourrag2105VIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant feels a bit like a "chain"... Not sure if it is. However, by that standard, the food is great. The medjool dates were delicious. My French dip sandwich was fantastic and the grilled potatoes were a very nice and interesting surprise. They also had live music, which was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth one's timeEugieDined on 9/6/2014In a neighborhood where it would appear that all of the restaurants are "formula joints" where all the food tastes the same ("The Olive Garden," "Red Lobster," "Outback" to name a few, this is truly a special place. The food is nicely prepared, the menu changes, and the cocktails are outstanding. They also have a great Happy Hour. We have been there four or five times in the last six months and are never sorry that we made the choice to eat there. The post card campaign was also a welcome addition as we got a discount on the bill which is always nice.Special Features:
- Cateyes2020Dined on 9/1/2014Everything was fabulous as always! We go to Salty Sow quite often and try to introduce other foodies to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Salty Sow with friendsGEMSTONEVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always have loved Salty Sow as a couple but this time we took a group of friends and now they too are big Salty Sow fansSpecial Features:
- Poor value for the moneyPgirl1Dined on 9/1/2014The atmosphere is fun, energetic and very casual. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgeable. Whatever you order will be small for the amount you pay. Smallest glass of $9.00 wine we have ever received. The draft beers are varied and, once again, small for the price. We each had the $19 pork fillet. It came on a small plate atop a very small serving of pureed sweet potatoes. That was it. We did not order salads because we have ordered the $8-9 vegetables before and they are tiny. For gosh sakes it was $8.50 for an order of French fries........duck fat fried. The quality of most things we have had is pretty good, just not a good value for the price.
- The South RevisitedLove2dineDined on 9/1/2014The best fried green tomatoes. Very creative design on southern classics. Try the buttermilk pie.Special Features:
- Great Labor Day SpecialwellnessrnVIPDined on 9/1/2014The salty sow is always a fun place to go and especially if you want to try food that is a little different than you get in most restaurants. My husband and I had the beef shoulder with fried egg on top. Although I was a little doubtful about getting an entree for dinner with a fried egg it actually was pretty good. It was stew with mashed potatoes, cut potatoes and carrots. The beef was very tender but I think it was either sitting to long because the egg was getting hard and the stew could have been hotter. The special dessert was a buttermilk pie and it was delicious! Very light and flaky. You can't beat the price since on holidays you get a buy one entree get one free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Food was great as usual. Ammiee was our waitress and she was great as well. She has waited on us beforeSpecial Features:
- Ear-splitting noise, decent foodforwhatitsworthDined on 8/22/2014Review based on Friday night 8/22/14. LOUD, busy, vibrant with good food. But did i mention: LOUD? Some dishes were great (slow cooked beef shoulder), others good but not outstanding (salmon BLT). Great mojito. The service was prompt and friendly. But I couldn't hear my companions, even when we yelled. The restaurant-going public has blindly accepted the emperor's new clothes of uncomfortable environments (bar height seating) and noise levels that are deafening. Salty Sow capitalizes on this trend, drawing hoards of those who mistake noise for "vibrancy." Even Open Table promotes this hearing-damaging trend; its highest noise rating is "energetic" when it needs a choice called: "deafening."Special Features:
- nicknameVIPDined on 8/21/2014Brussels sprout appetizer and sturgeon special were both wonderful. They really do a good job with the fish preparations. Halibut on another visit was also excellent. Flavorful and moist. And we really enjoyed our server, Nate. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IronyIronyDined on 8/16/2014With "sow' in the name one would think the menu would be pork heavy, however this was not the case and by all means not a ding because I don't like pork. Why would I go here if I don't like pork? It's because this place like any other restaurant has alternatives. In this case the alternatives significantly outweigh the namesake. Party ordered duck fries, charcuterie board, pork ragout, halibut, and roasted pork. I found no flaws with the food. You get the right serving for the money and wasn't pretentious. It had the right amount of salty, which is a dash more. I guess if there were flaws in the food it was that there wasn't much sauce for the duck fries and the broccolini was was bitter and needed the flavor cut by butter, sauce, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers RockDmckDined on 8/16/2014The servers are always friendly and helpful. Their recommendations are generally spot on.Special Features:
- Another Great TimestillneedasushifixVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our second time in, with friends this time. Their first time, and everyone loved the food. We stayed later this time and got to hear the live music on the patio, from our table inside. The entire window that separates the inside from outside, rolls up. We could hear perfectly from our seat near the bar, without it being too loud. Easily becoming our new favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backEatinPHXDined on 8/14/2014Met a friend for drinks on a Thursday and we both really liked it. Our waiter was great. The food was good. The menu was varied but not overwhelming in choices. We shared a salmon and fried green tomato sandwich which was really good. Also had the crispy Brussels sprouts leaves which I could live on1Special Features:
- Going back this weekendstillneedasushifixVIPDined on 8/9/2014It took us awhile to try Salty Sow b/c we live so far north, but now that we have, we are going back this weekend! I want to try everything on the menu, which is rare). If I could give the food extra stars, I would. Each bite my husband and I took made us turn to each other wide eyed. The flavors are so good together, and the menu is different. I get so tired of seeing the same things. SSow was the perfect compromise, as I like white tablecloths and my husband prefers dives. This was the perfect gastro pub. Whoever did the design, got it right too. The place is easy on they eyes with an open layout and open kitchen, as well. Server was great, didn't catch her name though. Prices are reasonable and seats are comfy!Special Features:
- Just LOVE it!GymdandyDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoy this restaurant and have invited several friends/family to join us. It's never a disappointment! It's rather LOUD but I enjoy the energy and vibe. One time we tried to have a dinner meeting there and we couldn't talk above the energetic noise level. The Manager, Kevin, is a WORKING manager and runs his tail off. He used to take the time to stop at tables to assess the comfort level/food of the patrons but I rarely see him do this anymore. Too, we are almost regulars on a Saturday evening (at least every other Saturday), and he has never stopped by to acknowledge this. Food is DELISH and typically consistent. Their appetizers are FABULOUS -- however, I think they should give bigger portions to "share."I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Will Be Back!RegularFoodieWineLoverDined on 7/28/2014The food was great at Salty Sow. I don't eat pork, at all, and still was able to find some delicious items. My friend and I went for happy hour and it's nice they allow you to order happy hour in the restaurant and not just the bar. Although, next time I will sit in the bar since it was a beautiful bar and looked like a great time! I had the Brussels sprouts Caesar and the eggplant frites and both were unique and delicious. I would definitely order these, again. My friend had a pork belly taco and a spit-roasted pork taco and liked them both very much. Our server was fine but didn't have much personality nor return often enough so we could order more rounds of wine. It was fine, though, not a huge deal. It's a great location, too!Special Features:
- AndyDined on 7/28/2014attractive contemporary design. Friendly. knowledgeable staff. Quick service. Energetic noisy atmosphere, pleasant but not a place for intimate dinner or conversation. Very good food, nice beer list and respectable wine list. Priced appropriately for the value. Will definitely return, and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutG8foodDined on 7/22/2014The Salty Sow does it right - great servers, excellent, fresh ingredients, superb daily specials, wonder atmosphere, friendly and efficient Managers (Kevin and Beth), easy parking, outdoor dining, and all at a fair price!Special Features:
- JosieBJosieBDined on 7/19/2014This was my 4th or 5th time at Salty Sow, Phoenix. I love that place. The warm friendly service and the food can't be beat. I took a friend for the first time and she was duly impressed.Special Features:
- Another great dinner!wellnessrnVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had the $5.00 Happy Hour Specials and they are all amazing. We tried all of the tacos on the menu, all delicious, I was a little afraid I wouldn't care much for the fried egg on top but it just added to the flavors and I'm a fan. The crispy fried chicken in rosemary and honey is a meal in itself and delicious.It comes with a biscuit and that would be my only complaint the biscuit was dry, not flaky. The white sangria was addictive it was so good! We finished off the meal with the apple pie which was an actual small pie, so definitely made for sharing and can be shared with 3 or 4 people, it comes with a huge scoop of their homemade vanilla ice cream which easily stands on its own due to it's rich and creamy texture.Special Features:
- Loved itamazingDined on 7/18/2014Duck Fat Fries, Fried Green Tomatoes and Guacamole, Amazing Bacon, I will be back.Special Features:
- Not up to usual PardandvDined on 7/18/2014We usually love the food here, but both my husband and I were disappointed in our dishes this time. He ordered the chicken thighs and I ordered a special -- the shrimp over grits. His chicken was well...just chicken thighs. My dish was 'soupy' -- nothing at all what I was expecting. Maybe we just had an off night there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.