Salty Sow - Cactus
4801 E Cactus Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Salty Sow - Cactus
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltysow.com/
- Phone: 6027959463x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Happy Hour Daily 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nox Ybarra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music on our patio Thursday 6:30pm-9:30pm ; Friday and Saturday 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
A word from Salty Sow - Cactus
Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salty Sow - Cactus reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (73)good for groups (48)hot spot (39)vibrant bar scene (34)great for outdoor dining (33)special occasion (30)late-night find (17)romantic (12)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Love this placeRettaDined on 9/12/2014Salty Sow has become my go-to place when I want a great meal not too far from home. The food is always good and the service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food... Great Happy Hourrag2105VIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant feels a bit like a "chain"... Not sure if it is. However, by that standard, the food is great. The medjool dates were delicious. My French dip sandwich was fantastic and the grilled potatoes were a very nice and interesting surprise. They also had live music, which was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth one's timeEugieDined on 9/6/2014In a neighborhood where it would appear that all of the restaurants are "formula joints" where all the food tastes the same ("The Olive Garden," "Red Lobster," "Outback" to name a few, this is truly a special place. The food is nicely prepared, the menu changes, and the cocktails are outstanding. They also have a great Happy Hour. We have been there four or five times in the last six months and are never sorry that we made the choice to eat there. The post card campaign was also a welcome addition as we got a discount on the bill which is always nice.Special Features:
- Cateyes2020Dined on 9/1/2014Everything was fabulous as always! We go to Salty Sow quite often and try to introduce other foodies to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Salty Sow with friendsGEMSTONEVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always have loved Salty Sow as a couple but this time we took a group of friends and now they too are big Salty Sow fansSpecial Features:
- Poor value for the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014The atmosphere is fun, energetic and very casual. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgeable. Whatever you order will be small for the amount you pay. Smallest glass of $9.00 wine we have ever received. The draft beers are varied and, once again, small for the price. We each had the $19 pork fillet. It came on a small plate atop a very small serving of pureed sweet potatoes. That was it. We did not order salads because we have ordered the $8-9 vegetables before and they are tiny. For gosh sakes it was $8.50 for an order of French fries........duck fat fried. The quality of most things we have had is pretty good, just not a good value for the price.
- The South RevisitedLove2dineDined on 9/1/2014The best fried green tomatoes. Very creative design on southern classics. Try the buttermilk pie.Special Features:
- Great Labor Day SpecialwellnessrnVIPDined on 9/1/2014The salty sow is always a fun place to go and especially if you want to try food that is a little different than you get in most restaurants. My husband and I had the beef shoulder with fried egg on top. Although I was a little doubtful about getting an entree for dinner with a fried egg it actually was pretty good. It was stew with mashed potatoes, cut potatoes and carrots. The beef was very tender but I think it was either sitting to long because the egg was getting hard and the stew could have been hotter. The special dessert was a buttermilk pie and it was delicious! Very light and flaky. You can't beat the price since on holidays you get a buy one entree get one free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Food was great as usual. Ammiee was our waitress and she was great as well. She has waited on us beforeSpecial Features:
- Ear-splitting noise, decent foodforwhatitsworthDined on 8/22/2014Review based on Friday night 8/22/14. LOUD, busy, vibrant with good food. But did i mention: LOUD? Some dishes were great (slow cooked beef shoulder), others good but not outstanding (salmon BLT). Great mojito. The service was prompt and friendly. But I couldn't hear my companions, even when we yelled. The restaurant-going public has blindly accepted the emperor's new clothes of uncomfortable environments (bar height seating) and noise levels that are deafening. Salty Sow capitalizes on this trend, drawing hoards of those who mistake noise for "vibrancy." Even Open Table promotes this hearing-damaging trend; its highest noise rating is "energetic" when it needs a choice called: "deafening."Special Features:
- nicknameVIPDined on 8/21/2014Brussels sprout appetizer and sturgeon special were both wonderful. They really do a good job with the fish preparations. Halibut on another visit was also excellent. Flavorful and moist. And we really enjoyed our server, Nate. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IronyIronyDined on 8/16/2014With "sow' in the name one would think the menu would be pork heavy, however this was not the case and by all means not a ding because I don't like pork. Why would I go here if I don't like pork? It's because this place like any other restaurant has alternatives. In this case the alternatives significantly outweigh the namesake. Party ordered duck fries, charcuterie board, pork ragout, halibut, and roasted pork. I found no flaws with the food. You get the right serving for the money and wasn't pretentious. It had the right amount of salty, which is a dash more. I guess if there were flaws in the food it was that there wasn't much sauce for the duck fries and the broccolini was was bitter and needed the flavor cut by butter, sauce, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great TimestillneedasushifixDined on 8/16/2014Our second time in, with friends this time. Their first time, and everyone loved the food. We stayed later this time and got to hear the live music on the patio, from our table inside. The entire window that separates the inside from outside, rolls up. We could hear perfectly from our seat near the bar, without it being too loud. Easily becoming our new favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backEatinPHXDined on 8/14/2014Met a friend for drinks on a Thursday and we both really liked it. Our waiter was great. The food was good. The menu was varied but not overwhelming in choices. We shared a salmon and fried green tomato sandwich which was really good. Also had the crispy Brussels sprouts leaves which I could live on1Special Features:
- Going back this weekendstillneedasushifixDined on 8/9/2014It took us awhile to try Salty Sow b/c we live so far north, but now that we have, we are going back this weekend! I want to try everything on the menu, which is rare). If I could give the food extra stars, I would. Each bite my husband and I took made us turn to each other wide eyed. The flavors are so good together, and the menu is different. I get so tired of seeing the same things. SSow was the perfect compromise, as I like white tablecloths and my husband prefers dives. This was the perfect gastro pub. Whoever did the design, got it right too. The place is easy on they eyes with an open layout and open kitchen, as well. Server was great, didn't catch her name though. Prices are reasonable and seats are comfy!Special Features:
- Just LOVE it!GymdandyDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoy this restaurant and have invited several friends/family to join us. It's never a disappointment! It's rather LOUD but I enjoy the energy and vibe. One time we tried to have a dinner meeting there and we couldn't talk above the energetic noise level. The Manager, Kevin, is a WORKING manager and runs his tail off. He used to take the time to stop at tables to assess the comfort level/food of the patrons but I rarely see him do this anymore. Too, we are almost regulars on a Saturday evening (at least every other Saturday), and he has never stopped by to acknowledge this. Food is DELISH and typically consistent. Their appetizers are FABULOUS -- however, I think they should give bigger portions to "share."I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 7/28/2014attractive contemporary design. Friendly. knowledgeable staff. Quick service. Energetic noisy atmosphere, pleasant but not a place for intimate dinner or conversation. Very good food, nice beer list and respectable wine list. Priced appropriately for the value. Will definitely return, and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutG8foodDined on 7/22/2014The Salty Sow does it right - great servers, excellent, fresh ingredients, superb daily specials, wonder atmosphere, friendly and efficient Managers (Kevin and Beth), easy parking, outdoor dining, and all at a fair price!Special Features:
- JosieBJosieBDined on 7/19/2014This was my 4th or 5th time at Salty Sow, Phoenix. I love that place. The warm friendly service and the food can't be beat. I took a friend for the first time and she was duly impressed.Special Features:
- Another great dinner!wellnessrnVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had the $5.00 Happy Hour Specials and they are all amazing. We tried all of the tacos on the menu, all delicious, I was a little afraid I wouldn't care much for the fried egg on top but it just added to the flavors and I'm a fan. The crispy fried chicken in rosemary and honey is a meal in itself and delicious.It comes with a biscuit and that would be my only complaint the biscuit was dry, not flaky. The white sangria was addictive it was so good! We finished off the meal with the apple pie which was an actual small pie, so definitely made for sharing and can be shared with 3 or 4 people, it comes with a huge scoop of their homemade vanilla ice cream which easily stands on its own due to it's rich and creamy texture.Special Features:
- Loved itamazingDined on 7/18/2014Duck Fat Fries, Fried Green Tomatoes and Guacamole, Amazing Bacon, I will be back.Special Features:
- Not up to usual PardandvDined on 7/18/2014We usually love the food here, but both my husband and I were disappointed in our dishes this time. He ordered the chicken thighs and I ordered a special -- the shrimp over grits. His chicken was well...just chicken thighs. My dish was 'soupy' -- nothing at all what I was expecting. Maybe we just had an off night there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing affordable food!PharmermikeDined on 7/11/2014The green chili, roast beef sandwich and banana beignets are amazing. This place is pretty noisy at dinner hour but the ambience is really cool. Been twice and haven't found one thing that wasn't amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars! - Finally!DogulaVIPDined on 7/11/2014The fact that this is a Roaring Fork enterprise, they should have been a five star restaurant from opening day. Unfortunately, they had a hard time getting it all to gel. Kitchen overwhelmed, bar backed up, capacity issues, etc. were many of the excuses we have heard since they opened. Regardless, we stuck with them and have kept coming back simply because the food is outstanding, just like the Roaring Fork. Finally, they are running on all cylinders. This was a busy Friday night, packed house, and everything was perfect. Perfect service and usual quality food. Actually, the servers have never been the problem, it was always a kitchen or bar issue. Keep up the good work Salty Sow, I knew you could do it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Go To PlaceGEMSTONEVIPDined on 7/4/2014Service is as great as the food. And the food is always great. The menu is spiced up with new specials and everything is professional in the best way possibleSpecial Features:
- Great food every time!!SlunaDined on 7/4/2014Every time we dine here, we find new favorites to love. The latest was the beef shoulder. Great service, great atmosphere. Only wish we received credit for dining through open tableSpecial Features:
- Always consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014The food again was very good except that, because of the special promotion, they were out of all seafood selections on the menu which was disappointing. Service was very good though - all service people we have had have been exceptional.Special Features:
- Great Find!wellnessrnVIPDined on 7/4/2014I had heard great things about this place and thought it was worth driving a little further for. It was extremely busy but it did not detract the staff from being able to offer great service. They made sure we had a comfortable table to sit at since we were with my 87 year old mother, some tables are high tops. Our waiter had great suggestions and a great sense of humor. The food is fantastic with great happy hour pricing and a buy one get one for the 4th. The crispy Brussels Sprouts which are amazing. My husband had the tacos and they were huge for an appetizer. My mother and I had the lamb burger which was delicious and for an excellent ending we shared the Bananas Foster Beignets. Definitely worth the trip and we will be back!Special Features:
- Must ExperienecejulswhippetDined on 7/4/2014This is the third visit for me to the Salty Sow. The main course (lamb burgers) was not the quality that I have experienced in my last two visits, but the remaining food was out standing! Our server Nate couldn't have made the evening more enjoyable if he tried, the appetizer plate filled with all the different tastings, mashed potatoes and gravy and desert were as great as expected. The lamb burger was on the dry side, a bit more then medium done as ordered and the bun to meat ratio was uneven which I feel added to the dryness of the burger. Over all love this restaurant and would recommend it to anyone looking for a wonderful dinning experience with great food not found on other menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Always great and wonderful food selections. You need too many words to describe a wonderful dining experience therefore making it a chore to respond......My friend and I enjoy the menu as it is more daring than a lot of other places and the younger generation is not tempted to try new things that are basically old things updated of which we love.....is this enough characters now?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy placediningwithfriendsDined on 7/4/2014Too noisy to carry on a conversation catching up with friends. Had to shout to be heard. Everything else was delightful...food, decor and service but the loudness was a huge distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotLocalDinersDined on 7/4/2014I would have rated food Very Good but for my meal (there were 4 of us). When I inquired about the slow roasted pork the waiter said it was great. Slow roasted for 4 hours. nice crust on it when you cut into it the meat is very tender. Sold! Waiter dropped off our food and when I tasted the meat was lukewarm. The waiter came by within 5 minutes to check on us. I told him about my dish & he said they would take care of it & brought be another one. At first bite it was nice & hot. As I cut more into the meat it was tough & fatty. Didn't eat much of it. I ate the beans which were great & the tortillas. When he came by again I told him to let the kitchen know the problems with the dish but not to worry about as we all had a nice time.Special Features:
- Will definitely return.AzfinanceguyDined on 6/28/2014Went for the first time on a reccommendaion from a friend. The menu had great choices and the food was fabulous. We tend to order 3 entries for a group of 4 with several appetizers, and do family style with our group, which works out well since we get to try more things on the menu. It seems like a great place for a small group of four to get out and socialize over a few drinks and some decent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, unique food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014First time we tried Salty Sow - great food, surprising combinations of food that end up being delicious. For appetizers: duck fat fries and bone marrow (I know - it sounds horrible, but ends up being awesome!) Entrees: Slow cooked beef shoulder & bacon-wrapped pork filet were amazing. Love the decor and setting too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsFoodieMommyDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I have eaten at Salty Sow several times, and have never been disappointed. The service is courteous, informed, and prompt, and the menu has something for everyone. Some of our favorites are the lamb burger, the bacon and eggs entree, and the tacos. We've also had great luck trying their specials. The drink menu has some wonderful cocktails and great local beers. This place is definitely our preferred date night spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidTTanVIPDined on 6/23/2014We live in Austin, TX and have been to the Austin location many times without any disappointments. Since we were passing thru Scottsdale, we wanted to give this location a try. Its a bit more upscale than the Austin location and has a few different items which we tried. We were not disappointed. Enjoyed everything and the ambiance. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good Foodie PlaceLitTeacher66Dined on 6/21/2014Met friends here for dinner and drinks. We had an attentive wait staff who managed to help get our drink and appetizer orders in before the happy hour was over. Our dinner was well paced, and we enjoyed the truffled deviled eggs. I ordered the Green Chili Pork Stew appetizer as dinner, added collard greens and kept the tab down. Friends enjoyed the salads, and we LOVED the Butterscotch Bundio dessert. Will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Portion size a bit smallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Love the soul food aspect of the menu! Collards side dish, though tasty, was too small for $6 price tag. Rosemary fried chicken was really good. Fried green tomatoes were really good as well. It all took me back to my Georgia southern roots! Casual but hip atmosphere was cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, what a find!Bill11021Dined on 6/20/2014Had the brussels sprouts and deviled eggs appetizers. Wonderful! My French dip was the best I've ever had. But my partners fish was slightly overcooked. That said, we will return because there are many things on this very eclectic menu that we want to try. Incredible architecture and interior design!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014This was a great pub and the food was great. The kitchen was a bit slow and they were out of a few items, but it was father's day so perhaps they were not expecting as big of a crowd. Our waiter was very informative and seemed to be a professional. I would for sure go back and bring friends. We noticed they have live music on certain nights and that is hard to find in the valley, so that is another plus. The drinks were unique and very tasty. I would recommend the happy hour there are great starters for $5 and they were all great!!!!!!! The burger was amazing as was everything we had. The only dish that we had that was not in line was the Ahi, it was good, just a smaller portion. I would recommend the Halibit it you like fish.