Salty Sow - Cactus
4801 E Cactus Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85254Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Salty Sow - Cactus
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltysow.com/
- Phone: (602) 795-9463
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Happy Hour Daily 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nox Ybarra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music on our patio Thursday 6:30pm-9:30pm ; Friday and Saturday 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
A word from Salty Sow - Cactus
Salty Sow serves modern farmhouse cuisine, combining new cooking techniques with old-world methods like braising, poaching, and stewing. Our signature cocktail ingredients come fresh out of the garden, featuring local and organic spirits. Founded by long-time food lovers, we take special care to prepare everything we serve from scratch and by hand daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salty Sow - Cactus reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (60)good for groups (40)hot spot (33)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (26)kid-friendly (11)special occasion (11)late-night find (11)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Awesome as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2014Great food, great service. All around one of our favorite spots in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting MenuEPBIDined on 11/22/2014Ate at the Salty Sow on Sat. Interesting, but well put together menu. Had the duck fat fries, as good as advertised. My wife and I spilt the burger (excellent) my son had the Crispy Chicken, again very good. Finished with the Butterscotch Budino - Fantastic. Given the night was cool and the patio was open, the restaurant was a bit cool. Not cold, but cool. All in, great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseFood4thoughtDined on 11/21/2014My companion and I showed up right on time for a 6:30 reservation, our table was ready and waiting- despite a lobby full of people waiting - a very nice start. We ordered a couple of cocktails from our friendly and attentive waitress, which were average. I ordered the rotisserie pork and my companion ordered the pork ragout over polenta. We split the brussel sprouts leaves as an appetizer. The appetizer was excellent, if a bit different from my normal fare. The rotisserie pork was great! The bark was bursting with flavor and the pork was moist and tender - really delicious. The sides included pinto beans - very good although they could have been spicier, a marinated onion and avocado salad and warm flour tortillas. Put them all together and you've got something going! The ragout must have been good too, because my companion, who is not shy about telling you what she thinks about her meals, cleaned her plate and raved about it afterwards. Great experience over all, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steveDined on 11/15/2014The appetizers, entrees and desserts are very good, spicy and tasty. The restaurant was very busy and noisy and services were slow. In all, it was a good experience for my family and guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2014if you are a fan of pork and specifically modern southern take on pork, this is your spot. My wife and I consider ourselves foodies and this just became our new spot. . . go on sunday for the porchetta! try the butterscotch bundido (Spelling?). just go. . you wont regret itSpecial Features:
- Pork Fat Rules...bclark56Dined on 11/2/2014We have loved this place every since they opened a few years back. The original Restaurant is in Austin, Tx. While they focus on Pork and Beef Dishes they offer some Fish as well as Salads and Burgers. The French Dip and Porchetta (Pork Roll) on Sundays is too die for. The portions are not huge , but the food is very rich and flavorful. It is somewhat Gourmet Comfort Food. I know many aren't fans of Brussel Sprouts but if you are the Crispy Brussel Sprouts on the Appetizer Menu are an awesome side dish accompaniment. Ask for Michael he is our favorite Waiter, but honestly the Staff and Management is professional an you will have a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014Salty Sow is always an adventure but always reliable in its quality. Only downside was someone kept changing the TV channel at the bar during the ASU football game. Save room for dessert! Green chile pork stew and the friend green tomatoes were awesome appetizers. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great eveningGGKTDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed a very memorable evening at Salty Sow. We were just passing by and thought it would be a nice place to dine. We checked out the menu then did an Open Table res. it was a very memorable evening. Our waiter Michael was excellent. Our meal was excellent, Asiago crusted Halibut and rib Eye steak, which was cooked to medium perfection. The patio entertainment guitarist was an added bonus. Definately will spread the work was this gem.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I heard about Salty Sow from a friend and we're thrilled with the restaurant. The food was great and the service wonderful. The chorizo stuffed date wrapped in bacon was delicious but not as good as the bananas foster beignets. There was a musician on the patio that was delightful. Can't wait to go back ...maybe this weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food NoiseyPackeegirlDined on 10/24/2014Very Good Food and interesting menu. Only problem was the noise level. Liked the music but level of all around noise made it very hard to talk and hear at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!corycaddyVIPDined on 10/22/2014We've been putting off trying this place because their online menu wasn't very appealing. The menu is now different and exceptional! The food is terrific and the service spot-on. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticRecEaterVIPDined on 10/19/2014A wonderful dining experience. From the Fried Green Tomatoes to the Sunday Special: Porchetta to the Butterscotch Budino, it was a delightful adventure from one dish to the next. The wait staff was exceptional and added tremendously to the enjoyment of the evening. He did a great job guiding us through the menu and making recommendations. Can't wait to get back. Thank you Salty Sow.Special Features:
- Salty Sow with familyGEMSTONEVIPDined on 10/18/2014Salty Sow is always a good place to take visiting friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealHungry2VIPDined on 10/16/2014Brussels sprouts Caesar salad is unique and delicious, and the eggplant frites are an amazing surprise. My husband said the halibut preparation was the best he ever had. Add the phenomenal selection of Arizona craft beers, and you have the perfect meal.Special Features:
- Perfect patioOhioansDined on 10/16/2014We loved the patio. Food was very good as we enjoyed happy hour.Special Features:
- Not for dieters or cardiac patientsLubuDined on 10/11/2014The menu was euphemistically described by our waitstaff as "comfort food." It became evident this was code for "fat-laden." As such, it was very tasty, but it was difficult to find menu items such as steamed vegetables or green salad to offset the indulgences. Even the french fries were cooked in duck fat. A lovely (though noisy) place if you are genetically inclined to live into your 90s. Otherwise, you may want to seek a restaurant that strikes a balance in the nutritional value of its food offerings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mvlepistoDined on 10/11/2014We were recommended to Salty Sow by a friend, and man, was he right! The food was delicious, the restaurant was nice, and we left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #9 St. Nick FolesLoveYountvilleDined on 10/3/2014Great food, fresh, tasty & obviously centered on pork. We had great service on a Friday night & they had some really good live entertainment. Lots of fun specialty drinks and a small but decent wine list. Energetic restaurant, patio & bar area......fun & upbeat.....not really geared towards a quiet romantic dinner. No complaints, will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that great.EnterReviewNameHereDined on 9/28/2014I went here with my dad for his birthday. I got the roasted porchetta pork special, and my dad got the double cheeseburger. One of the patties he got was very undercooked. For me, the pork didn't seem to really have that much flavor, and almost all of it was just fat. I know that's usual for pork, but there was barely any meat. On the plus side, the arnold palmer I got was good, and the waiter would check up on us every time he passed by, as well as refill the water and my drink. So, there was good service.
- Dinner with friendsLuv2dineDined on 9/25/2014This was our first time. The food was excellent must try the deviled eggs and the beef shoulder melts in your mouth. Our waitress was excellent never made us feel rushed. All around it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014If you like to try something new then you should come to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChachiDined on 9/21/2014Food was exceptional and the service by Stephanie was great!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJasonGDined on 9/20/2014While some of the dishes were very good, a couple were a letdown. Coupled with the mediocre service and the overall experience won't have us coming back. Good: Pork Belly Bad:Duck Fat fries. Tasted like fries you would get anywhere and the egg was over cooked. Our server didn't come to check on us for over 20 minutes after our appetizers were served, which we would have sent back had she been there to check on us. Also, our drinks were empty when the entres arrived. It took another 10 minutes to order a drink at which point our food was getting cold.Special Features:
- Salty Sow rocksJackDined on 9/20/2014Great food, ambiance, service, but noise level made conversation nearly impossible. We went on a Saturday night — maybe weeknights might be more reasonable for the noise level. Half the table took advantage of the restaurant week three-course menu, and were delighted with every dish. The other half chose individual dishes — one even had two appetizers — and every one was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fritters and Bone Marrow dishFood25addictDined on 9/20/2014The fritters were surprisingly good. Born and raise in the south, it hard to find a restaurant that can cook a good southern dish. The Louisianan Fritters came to me hot, crunchy and full of flavor. Another dish I enjoyed was the bone marrow. The presentation of the dish was nice; with the pesto sauce under the bone and a side of toast. I wish I had more of the bone marrow, I was scraping for more. Stephanie from Minnesota was very nice and knowledgeable about the menu. Her recommendations were very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReservationsthreedognightVIPDined on 9/20/2014We made reservations, and when we got there, there were many tables available in the restaurant with AC, however, they put us on the patio. I asked why we could not have a table in the restaurant with AC and they said all were reserved. So beware, you may have to be on the patio in the summer without AC in Arizona even with reservations.Special Features:
- a good find!craigDined on 9/20/2014the food was very good, lots of different seating with views into the kitchen, large tables and outside patio with live music. good happy hour prices.Special Features:
- Never been disappointed!ChowDined on 9/20/2014This was my fourth time dining at the Salty Sow and will continue to be a loyal patron. We had a party of six on Saturday and everyone loved their meal and the service! However, I do miss the duck and wish it was back on the menu!!Special Features:
- High Quality and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014Beef shoulder is amazing, as are the desserts. Was here for the restaurant week menu and everything on it was great. My wife had the trout.Special Features:
- Love this placeRettaDined on 9/12/2014Salty Sow has become my go-to place when I want a great meal not too far from home. The food is always good and the service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food... Great Happy Hourrag2105VIPDined on 9/11/2014This restaurant feels a bit like a "chain"... Not sure if it is. However, by that standard, the food is great. The medjool dates were delicious. My French dip sandwich was fantastic and the grilled potatoes were a very nice and interesting surprise. They also had live music, which was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth one's timeEugieDined on 9/6/2014In a neighborhood where it would appear that all of the restaurants are "formula joints" where all the food tastes the same ("The Olive Garden," "Red Lobster," "Outback" to name a few, this is truly a special place. The food is nicely prepared, the menu changes, and the cocktails are outstanding. They also have a great Happy Hour. We have been there four or five times in the last six months and are never sorry that we made the choice to eat there. The post card campaign was also a welcome addition as we got a discount on the bill which is always nice.Special Features:
- Cateyes2020Dined on 9/1/2014Everything was fabulous as always! We go to Salty Sow quite often and try to introduce other foodies to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Salty Sow with friendsGEMSTONEVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always have loved Salty Sow as a couple but this time we took a group of friends and now they too are big Salty Sow fansSpecial Features:
- Poor value for the moneyPgirl1Dined on 9/1/2014The atmosphere is fun, energetic and very casual. The wait staff is attentive and knowledgeable. Whatever you order will be small for the amount you pay. Smallest glass of $9.00 wine we have ever received. The draft beers are varied and, once again, small for the price. We each had the $19 pork fillet. It came on a small plate atop a very small serving of pureed sweet potatoes. That was it. We did not order salads because we have ordered the $8-9 vegetables before and they are tiny. For gosh sakes it was $8.50 for an order of French fries........duck fat fried. The quality of most things we have had is pretty good, just not a good value for the price.
- The South RevisitedLove2dineDined on 9/1/2014The best fried green tomatoes. Very creative design on southern classics. Try the buttermilk pie.Special Features:
- Great Labor Day SpecialwellnessrnVIPDined on 9/1/2014The salty sow is always a fun place to go and especially if you want to try food that is a little different than you get in most restaurants. My husband and I had the beef shoulder with fried egg on top. Although I was a little doubtful about getting an entree for dinner with a fried egg it actually was pretty good. It was stew with mashed potatoes, cut potatoes and carrots. The beef was very tender but I think it was either sitting to long because the egg was getting hard and the stew could have been hotter. The special dessert was a buttermilk pie and it was delicious! Very light and flaky. You can't beat the price since on holidays you get a buy one entree get one free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Food was great as usual. Ammiee was our waitress and she was great as well. She has waited on us beforeSpecial Features:
- Ear-splitting noise, decent foodforwhatitsworthDined on 8/22/2014Review based on Friday night 8/22/14. LOUD, busy, vibrant with good food. But did i mention: LOUD? Some dishes were great (slow cooked beef shoulder), others good but not outstanding (salmon BLT). Great mojito. The service was prompt and friendly. But I couldn't hear my companions, even when we yelled. The restaurant-going public has blindly accepted the emperor's new clothes of uncomfortable environments (bar height seating) and noise levels that are deafening. Salty Sow capitalizes on this trend, drawing hoards of those who mistake noise for "vibrancy." Even Open Table promotes this hearing-damaging trend; its highest noise rating is "energetic" when it needs a choice called: "deafening."Special Features:
- nicknameVIPDined on 8/21/2014Brussels sprout appetizer and sturgeon special were both wonderful. They really do a good job with the fish preparations. Halibut on another visit was also excellent. Flavorful and moist. And we really enjoyed our server, Nate. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.